last movie you watched

sonicjams

Decided to restart the MCU movies. After years of superhero burn out, I am happy to finally start catching up!

Iron Man (8/10)

That’s probably how I’d score Iron Man also. :blaze:

I am no Marvel comics expert like you. But I have never seem a single one of these movies I could call an all time classic. But I do enjoy them!

I stopped following the franchise before Civil War came out, and have seen only Thor 2 and the Guardians movies since.

Yeah I don’t think I’d put any of them among my all time classics either. And I do love some of the MCU flicks and enjoy most.

For whatever reason, I wouldn’t put somewhat similar stuff like the Star Trek or Star Wars movies among my all time classics either but I do really enjoy some of those too.

Imho, these sorts of movies are in a different universe from films from my favorite director Stanley Kubrick or something as classic as Psycho.

As far as Thor 2 and GotG go, Thor 2 is in my bottom 3 of MCU flicks. And GotG2 is close to that bottom 3 too. The first GotG was really enjoyable though.

Here is my review I posted on Letterboxd for Iron Man this evening:

A Review From A Former MCU Hater:

Minor spoilers.

I have seen this movie before (around 2009 in fact) and I liked it. For a few short years I casually watched a few more of the Marvel films here and there. But by the time Civil War came out, I was sick to death of the MCU, the rabid fans, the media hype, the constant advertising, so much so thay I decided to just cut these movies out for good!

Well, it's now 2018 (barely, I know, but still) and I've avoided nearly every MCU movie released so far. And yet, for several months now a desire to finally catch up with this franchise has grown. I have seen (by choice) trailers for recent movies, admired the really awesome poster art, been mesmerized and stunned by images and screenshots from a few of the movies I have missed (Ragnorok in particular took my breath away from the stills I saw), and now I just feel so ready to start over with this beloved franchise. So, a few days before Christmas, I treated myself to the recent Phase One and Phase Two box sets (on Bluray) and have made it my goal to watch every single MCU movie in the run up to Infinity War: Endgame (totally aware that I am one of only three people in history to have never seen this movie).

So, naturally, I begin my journey with Iron Man. Like I said, I remember enjoying this one a fair bit, but it has been so long since I last saw it (and I think I only watched this twice), that watching it again this evening felt like the first time. And it was EXCELLENT!

Perfect casting, terrific plot, great character depth (Downey and Paltrow really have great chemistry), and the action sequences were really effective. What surprised me was the attention to small nuances of personality and body language, as I was happy to note that Iron Man was a far more character driven affair than I remembered. Also, to my delight, the action scenes were not dramatically OTT (at least not until the end), which is particularly noteworthy considering I recall the first Avengers movie to be crowded with noisy scenes (by that point I was sick of the whole MCU concept).

But with all the praise I am giving this, was it the greatest movie I have ever seen? Well, no. For starters I noticed a few strange mistakes. When Stark is messing around with the suit, it shoots up and he slams into a wall. No injuries. No helmet. It works because it's funny but...yeah, it did slightly jar with the often more serious tone (but the comedic moments do shine in this film, I must say). Then, towards the end in the climactic battle between two suits- both of which are supposed to be pretty close to indestructible- each falls from the sky only to crash land and find themselves in a state of very little real damage. Only then do we see the strongest suit pick up a piece of the smaller suit and crush it in his hand like cardboard.

Really?

But this is a movie. These aren't terrible moments, just little forgivable goofs.

Also, at times the pacing seemed a little off. I did find my mind wondering a little around the middle but by the end of the movie I was absolutely engrossed and enthralled.

Overall, this is one of the finest Hollywood action movies I have ever seen. I am so glad I have given Iron Man and the MCU another shot, and am even more eager now to continue. Up next: I have never seen The Incredible Hulk before. Wish me luck!

Now as my memory serves me, I loathed Iron Man 2, but I really loved Captain America: The First Avenger (currently my absolute favourite) and I enjoyed Thor. As for Avengers Assemble...I got bored of the franchise hype by that point (as I said before) and it really jaded me to whatever value that movie has. I hated it when it came out but I am ready to try it again.

So yeah, Phase One has started and I am one movie down!

I am trying hard to rate this movie correctly. It's either an 8 or a 9/10. It is so strong but it's not quite the perfect movie.

I will be kind and give it:

8/10

My profile on Letterboxd https://letterboxd.com/SegueMyles

• Like 1

Decided to restart the MCU movies. After years of superhero burn out, I am happy to finally start catching up!

Iron Man (8/10)

That’s probably how I’d score Iron Man also. :blaze:

I am no Marvel comics expert like you. But I have never seem a single one of these movies I could call an all time classic. But I do enjoy them!

I stopped following the franchise before Civil War came out, and have seen only Thor 2 and the Guardians movies since.

Yeah I don’t think I’d put any of them among my all time classics either. And I do love some of the MCU flicks and enjoy most.

For whatever reason, I wouldn’t put somewhat similar stuff like the Star Trek or Star Wars movies among my all time classics either but I do really enjoy some of those too.

Imho, these sorts of movies are in a different universe from films from my favorite director Stanley Kubrick or something as classic as Psycho.

As far as Thor 2 and GotG go, Thor 2 is in my bottom 3 of MCU flicks. And GotG2 is close to that bottom 3 too. The first GotG was really enjoyable though.

Here is my review I posted on Letterboxd for Iron Man this evening:

A Review From A Former MCU Hater:

Minor spoilers.

I have seen this movie before (around 2009 in fact) and I liked it. For a few short years I casually watched a few more of the Marvel films here and there. But by the time Civil War came out, I was sick to death of the MCU, the rabid fans, the media hype, the constant advertising, so much so thay I decided to just cut these movies out for good!

Well, it's now 2018 (barely, I know, but still) and I've avoided nearly every MCU movie released so far. And yet, for several months now a desire to finally catch up with this franchise has grown. I have seen (by choice) trailers for recent movies, admired the really awesome poster art, been mesmerized and stunned by images and screenshots from a few of the movies I have missed (Ragnorok in particular took my breath away from the stills I saw), and now I just feel so ready to start over with this beloved franchise. So, a few days before Christmas, I treated myself to the recent Phase One and Phase Two box sets (on Bluray) and have made it my goal to watch every single MCU movie in the run up to Infinity War: Endgame (totally aware that I am one of only three people in history to have never seen this movie).

So, naturally, I begin my journey with Iron Man. Like I said, I remember enjoying this one a fair bit, but it has been so long since I last saw it (and I think I only watched this twice), that watching it again this evening felt like the first time. And it was EXCELLENT!

Perfect casting, terrific plot, great character depth (Downey and Paltrow really have great chemistry), and the action sequences were really effective. What surprised me was the attention to small nuances of personality and body language, as I was happy to note that Iron Man was a far more character driven affair than I remembered. Also, to my delight, the action scenes were not dramatically OTT (at least not until the end), which is particularly noteworthy considering I recall the first Avengers movie to be crowded with noisy scenes (by that point I was sick of the whole MCU concept).

But with all the praise I am giving this, was it the greatest movie I have ever seen? Well, no. For starters I noticed a few strange mistakes. When Stark is messing around with the suit, it shoots up and he slams into a wall. No injuries. No helmet. It works because it's funny but...yeah, it did slightly jar with the often more serious tone (but the comedic moments do shine in this film, I must say). Then, towards the end in the climactic battle between two suits- both of which are supposed to be pretty close to indestructible- each falls from the sky only to crash land and find themselves in a state of very little real damage. Only then do we see the strongest suit pick up a piece of the smaller suit and crush it in his hand like cardboard.

Really?

But this is a movie. These aren't terrible moments, just little forgivable goofs.

Also, at times the pacing seemed a little off. I did find my mind wondering a little around the middle but by the end of the movie I was absolutely engrossed and enthralled.

Overall, this is one of the finest Hollywood action movies I have ever seen. I am so glad I have given Iron Man and the MCU another shot, and am even more eager now to continue. Up next: I have never seen The Incredible Hulk before. Wish me luck!

Now as my memory serves me, I loathed Iron Man 2, but I really loved Captain America: The First Avenger (currently my absolute favourite) and I enjoyed Thor. As for Avengers Assemble...I got bored of the franchise hype by that point (as I said before) and it really jaded me to whatever value that movie has. I hated it when it came out but I am ready to try it again.

So yeah, Phase One has started and I am one movie down!

I am trying hard to rate this movie correctly. It's either an 8 or a 9/10. It is so strong but it's not quite the perfect movie.

I will be kind and give it:

8/10

My profile on Letterboxd https://letterboxd.com/SegueMyles

Legit review Segue :yes:

Iron Man 2 is at the bottom my MCU heap. Incredible Hulk is in my bottom 3 too.

Given my geography, I’m able to avoid a lot of superhero hype commercials. Add to the fact that I’ve loved these characters for over 40 years now (I’m 46) and that they’re getting many of the characterizations, stories, and costumes right or at least respectably accurate, it’s no surprise that I’d like most of the MCU movies.

It’s easy to understand why some don’t like them though. Still, in the world of movie genres, there actually aren’t that many superhero movies coming out compared to other genres such as horror or comedies. 2 or 3 MCU movies (+ maybe 1 from DC) per year isn’t really that many when you think of how many horror movies come out per year, or comedies, or action, etc.

Aquaman-Movie-Poster.jpg

Started off pretty well, but once the action moved underwater, what a frenzied, overloaded, wet mess it became!

Too much, too fast, too little pacing, and not enough good acting and dialogue. People like to say that "less is more", but the makers of Aquaman obviously believe that MORE is more.

Edited by Principled Man

Aquaman-Movie-Poster.jpg

Started off pretty well, but once the action moved underwater, what a frenzied, overloaded, wet mess it became!

Too much, too fast, too little pacing, and not enough good acting and dialogue. People like to say that "less is more", but the makers of Aquaman obviously believe that MORE is more.

Jason Momoa is a piece of meat. He’s no actor.

I can’t see this movie because it hasn’t arrived here yet. But I don’t trust DC live action movies. I’m thinking Wonder Woman which I liked was a fluke.

Aquaman-Movie-Poster.jpg

I can’t see this movie because it hasn’t arrived here yet. But I don’t trust DC live action movies. I’m thinking Wonder Woman which I liked was a fluke.

Momoa had his good moments, but he was held back by the dialogue. He didn't have much opportunity to truly act. Amber Heard was amazingly mediocre. William Dafoe and Nicole Kidman tried their best, but they could only do so much.

Aquaman-Movie-Poster.jpg

Just like WW, it’s not directed by Hack Snyder. No wonder the reviews are mostly positive.

BadMomsChristmas.jpg

Big step down from the funny first one.

Aquaman-Movie-Poster.jpg

Just like WW, it’s not directed by Hack Snyder. No wonder the reviews are mostly positive.

I agree that Snyder’s DCEU movies have been shit but I did enjoy 300, Watchmen, and the Dawn of the Dead remake

Aquaman-Movie-Poster.jpg

Momoa had his good moments, but he was held back by the dialogue. He didn't have much opportunity to truly act. Amber Heard was amazingly mediocre. William Dafoe and Nicole Kidman tried their best, but they could only do so much.

The clips I’ve seen of Momoa’s dialogue sound cheesy and seem to fit better in some dumb Fast & Furious flick. Aquaman saying “That’s badass” is just trying too hard to make Aquaman look cool and modern.

Fellowship of The Ring

The Two Towers

The Return of The King

Gladiator

I'm all filmed out.... :LOL: :lol:

Fellowship of The Ring

The Two Towers

The Return of The King

Gladiator

Extended director's cuts? :P

The regular versions, on some movie channel. I missed seeing the 100,000 skulls pour out of the ghost traitors’ castle in the mountain. I wish they had made a version with a scantily-clad Galadriel .... :LOL:

• Like 1

Fellowship of The Ring

The Two Towers

The Return of The King

Gladiator

I have watched all three directors cuts of LOTR in a day before...was great!

Fellowship of The Ring

The Two Towers

The Return of The King

That's impressive that you made it through these without dying of boredom or at least being lulled into a good lengthy nap. I made it through about 90 mins of Fellowship before I turned the snooze fest off.

A Clockwork Orange [9/10]

A 9? A lowly NINE?!

Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou...... :P :P