Major labels: NO MORE CDs after 2012

I guess California is the only state that has used and new record and cd stores?

Last time I checked vinyl has been HUGE again.

I go downstairs in my favorite Rasputin's in Berkeley Ca and there are shitloads of brand new sealed virgin vinyl albums.

You name the band and it's been repressed. "Repressed?" Pun intended.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

Then again as Phil Lynott would say, "Don't Believe A Word."

Fukkk this thread. Propaganda rules the minds of the weak.

"FIGHT THE YOUTH!"

Signed,

FISHBONE

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Nov 1 2011, 03:50 AM)
I guess California is the only state that has used and new record and cd stores?

Last time I checked vinyl has been HUGE again.
I go downstairs in my favorite Rasputin's in Berkeley Ca and there are shitloads of brand new sealed virgin vinyl albums.

You name the band and it's been repressed. "Repressed?" Pun intended.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

Then again as Phil Lynott would say, "Don't Believe A Word."

Fukkk this thread. Propaganda rules the minds of the weak.

"FIGHT THE YOUTH!"

Signed,

FISHBONE

Hey Earl, this reminds me, have you got the new Aqualung 40th Anniversary, remixed and remastered by Steven Wilson double CD edition, with vinyl, blu-ray DVD edition available too?

I just picked my double CD edition!

trink38.gif

1022.gif

bekloppt.gif

cheer.gif

trink39.gif

cool10.gif

It's no surprise that in a music-related forum the reaction is so... heated.

But we are the minority, never forget that. If the iPod has taught us anything in the past ten years, it's that the vast, vast majority of people don't give a shit about format - they want their music easily and readily available, and that's it.

We can gnash our teeth and scream to the heavens and bitch about the empty suits and their greed but at the end of the day, the market will determine what format is available. If the market wanted to keep cassettes over the superior CD format, we'd still have cassettes.

Keep your flames to yourself, please. I'm on your side. I think CDs should stick around until they commit to making uncompressed files available for download if not longer. I'm just trying to accept that the larger picture will not include little plastic discs for too many more years (and no, I don't believe 2012 will be the end).

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Oct 31 2011, 08:23 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Oct 31 2011, 09:13 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Oct 31 2011, 07:51 PM)
...I have bought about 10 CDs in the last 5 years and probably downloaded 10,000 songs in the same time...

I wish I had $10K to spend on music...

wink.gif

right - I know you didn't pay for most/all of it

that's another 'problem' I have with the state of music

question: how much of your work/creativity would you be willing to give away for free every week?

You assume that these weren't paid for over the years in the form of vinyl, cassette, CD and were being replaced due to loss or wear. I have no shame for refusing to re-purchase something I've already paid for. You have no imagination.

so

if my Honda gets stolen, or I finally wear it out after 400K miles, I should feel confident in going right on ahead and 'taking' another one

got it

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 1 2011, 07:34 AM)
...if the iPod has taught us anything in the past ten years, it's that the vast, vast majority of people don't give a shit about format...

goodpost.gif

and that's why the minority (i.e. people that do care) remain passionate and vocal about their opinions

GIVE US FIDELITY OR GIVE US DEATH!

If people weren't so addicted to technology, we wouldn't have this problem. I remember the big lie that CD's would last forever. hardly! And I'm careful with any and all my music.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Nov 1 2011, 03:31 PM)
...I have bought about 10 CDs in the last 5 years and probably downloaded 10,000 songs in the same time...

wink.gif

question: how much of your work/creativity would you be willing to give away for free every week?

You assume that these weren't paid for over the years in the form of vinyl, cassette, CD and were being replaced due to loss or wear. I have no shame for refusing to re-purchase something I've already paid for. You have no imagination.

so

if my Honda gets stolen, or I finally wear it out after 400K miles, I should feel confident in going right on ahead and 'taking' another one

got it

Hit it right out the park there GW.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Nov 1 2011, 09:31 AM)

wink.gif

so

got it

What we're getting into though is sticky because if they do kill off the CD, the last of the physical audio formats, we must be paying for a license to listen to the song forever and ever (which is not the situation when buying an LP, cassette or CD - prior format purchases to not mean you get any future formats for free, digital or otherwise). If you buy a track from iTunes, the game changes. We must have the ability to give our purchase permanence. We must have the legal right to burn backups and make copies for storage on backup drives.

If we lose our backups or they get destroyed or something, I do think we should have a right to download the music again. Physical objects take raw materials to produce, there are shipping costs, and people all throughout the production and retail chain need to pay their bills. Downloads... the bandwidth cost to the provider is so negligible it can barely be measured on a per-person basis. There can be no argument made for theft in that case, IMO.

And dammit, they need to be lossless file formats with downloadable art & liner notes.

somewhat off topic, but is there a way to take music from a CD and download it to your personal Facebook page? I'm asking this for a friend of mine.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Oct 31 2011, 06:23 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Oct 31 2011, 01:58 PM)
Plus, when you own a CD, you can copy it as much as you like.  When you down load, can you only move it so many times before the file gets locked?

You are aware that after you download an album you can burn it right to a CD, correct? As soon as the file is burned to a disc make as many copies as you want. It's really that simple, i'm not sure what you're talking about here unsure.gif

Yes make copies only but don't try to rip MP3's from that CD.

Flac format is the answer. Not MP3.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Nov 1 2011, 11:34 AM)
...if the iPod has taught us anything in the past ten years, it's that the vast, vast majority of people don't give a shit about format...

goodpost.gif

and that's why the minority (i.e. people that do care) remain passionate and vocal about their opinions

Some people, usually the younger listeners, don't hear the difference. They never were taught that there is one.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Nov 1 2011, 10:10 AM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Nov 1 2011, 11:34 AM)

goodpost.gif

Some people, usually the younger listeners, don't hear the difference. They never were taught that there is one.

Probably true, but maybe a larger question would be, even if you do teach them that there's a difference, will they care? If, to them, a lossless file sounds like a 10 but a well-encoded MP3 sounds like an 8 or 9... will they care?

I just read the OP so i don't know what any of you are thinking . I think the writing was on the wall when the Metallica/Napster shit storm hit. All the Dickhead people that Stole the f-n music will now cry because they won't be able to get their dirty little hands on a C.D. at Wal-Mart . Bands have been saying it for years . Did Anyone listen ? Nope. Can't fork over $10 , sometimes cheaper ,for a C.D. ? That is your problem. Now We get stuck with half-assed sounding music on our I- Pod's . I love getting a C.D. and reading what is on the inside and looking at the art work. Pretty soon , no more. About 6 months ago a guy at Best Buy told me " We will not have C.D.'s stock in a Year or so. Guess he was right. I love buying Box-Set's so as long as bands put those out, i won't suffer that much. Shame

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Oct 31 2011, 02:09 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 31 2011, 02:51 PM)
Well I don't see myself buying downloads, that's like buying nothing, so this could be the end of me buying music altogether.

What about indie labels though? Only the big boys have been mentioned here.

Not sure. You're right about big labels only being mentioned.

I work at a major label and this is news to everyone around here. I think it's bogus and premature. CD's still bring in 50% of the profits so I doubt they are going to kill the format in a year.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Nov 1 2011, 12:17 PM)
Well I don't see myself buying downloads, that's like buying nothing, so this could be the end of me buying music altogether.

I work at a major label and this is news to everyone around here. I think it's bogus and premature. CD's still bring in 50% of the profits so I doubt they are going to kill the format in a year.

Well good!

trink38.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 1 2011, 12:26 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Nov 1 2011, 12:17 PM)

Well good!

trink38.gif

Amen to that 1022.gif

I think there's people out there who want this to happen, that's because they're obsessed with living out every facet of their lives through their little gadgets.

And they say stuff like "Wow man I got all my music on my Ipod, I mean shit I don't want to carry my 5,000 albums around with me everywhere do I??!" but when did anyone ever do that?? confused13.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 31 2011, 01:51 PM)
I HATE this idea. I like having the packaging that comes with the CD, and downloads are unreliable and there are sometimes quality issues.

Also, what does someone do if they don't own a computer? There are LOTS of people with CD players, but not computers. Are they SOL? This is b.s.

Exactly my thoughts. The majors went full retard here.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 31 2011, 01:52 PM)
I wouldn't have a problem with abandoning CDs as long as I have the option to download UNCOMPRESSED FILES. As someone who actually gives a shit about sound quality and hates mp3s and WMAs and iTunes files, I still want CD-quality sound. How that sound is delivered to me is irrelevant.

I agree. I don't see a need to continue manufacturing physical media, but what about the audio quality? A cd (16-bit files) is a big enough step down in sound quality, but a compressed MP3 is even worse. Something needs to be done about the quality. You shouldn't have to be in the mastering facility in order to hear a good sounding recording. Songs are recorded in such a great quality that it's criminal to compress it after all that work and expensive equipment is utilized to make it.

goodpost.gif

The Who guitarist Pete Townshend blasts 'digital vampire' iTunes as he claims the internet is 'destroying copyright'

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 3:19 PM on 1st November 2011

Music legend Pete Townshend laid into computer giant Apple, describing its music service iTunes as a 'digital vampire', as he called for greater support and financial rewards for artists from online firms.

In a keynote speech, The Who's guitarist claimed the internet was 'destroying copyright', and said writers and musicians should expect to be paid if their work was generating money for others.

Townshend also dismissed suggestions that 'sharing' music helped to spread the word about artists.

The guitarist - delivering the first annual BBC 6 Music John Peel Lecture at the Radio Festival in Salford, Lancashire, yesterday - said: 'The word "sharing" surely means giving away something you have earned, or made, or paid for?'

However he reserved his greatest venom for Apple's online music store iTunes, criticising it for creaming off profit without providing any support mechanisms for music acts.

The company is the market leader of around 70 legal download services, accounting for upwards of 75 per cent of all music downloads.

It also gives away a track from an emerging artist each week and has hosted a month-long festival each year that has featured 300 artists over the past five years.

Townshend asked: 'Is there really any good reason why, just because iTunes exists in the wild west internet land of Facebook and Twitter, it can't provide some aspect of these services to the artists whose work it bleeds like a digital vampire Northern Rock for its enormous commission?'

He suggested an eight-point plan to back the music industry properly, which included taking on 'A&R'-style figures to act as talent spotters and guide, train and financially support young hopefuls as they do for record labels.

He said iTunes should also help artists to protect their copyright and free up space to allow them to 'stream' their music.

Making a point: Townshend was speaking at the first annual BBC 6 Music John Peel Lecture

Townshend said the company should pay smaller artists directly rather than insist on payments through a third party 'aggregator', and also license artists it took on to give them physical releases.

iTunes did not respond to Townshend's comments.

The musician - whose Lifehouse rock-opera predicted a concept similar to the internet 40 years ago - said people also needed to adjust the way they approached digital music.

'It would be better if music lovers treated music like food, and paid for every helping, rather than only when it suited them.

'Why can't music lovers just pay for music rather than steal it?' he asked the audience of broadcasting executives.

Townshend was critical of the environment which meant there was little reward for 'creativity', because it was not work which is paid at an hourly rate.

'We now live in a digital world in which the only absolute is work by the hour,' he said.

'Lawyers, accountants, doctors, nurses, plumbers, painters, truck drivers, farmers, pilots, cleaners, actors, musicians - they all get paid for work done as a clock ticks.

'Creative work is not like that. Any one of the people listed above could create a method that would help other people to do their job in their place. This could be digitised, and made available on the internet.'

He continued: 'However, if someone pretends to be me, or pretends that something I have created should be available to them free - because creativity has less value than an hour's work by me as a musician in a pub - I wonder what has gone wrong with human morality and social justice.'

There's nothing to stop bands producing their albums in the normal way and selling them on their website therefore cutting record companies and itunes out of the equation altogether. It's not like they get proper marketing or distribution these days anyway...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 1 2011, 02:34 PM)
There's nothing to stop bands producing their albums in the normal way and selling them on their website therefore cutting record companies and itunes out of the equation altogether.

Halford has been doing this for a while . He is on I-Tunes but he also sells from his site as well

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 1 2011, 02:35 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 1 2011, 02:34 PM)
There's nothing to stop bands producing their albums in the normal way and selling them on their website therefore cutting record companies and itunes out of the equation altogether.

Halford has been doing this for a while . He is on I-Tunes but he also sells from his site as well

Yeah I've seen that...

trink38.gif