Remember when Ray Daniels managed Van Halen?

kevorkazito

QUOTE (Tony R @ Oct 28 2011, 06:59 AM)
They divorced in 1996.

They invented this thing called the Interwebz and on it is this thing called a search engine which takes you to this secret place called Wikipedia...

Shhhhh! Don't tell! Wikipedia is a secret you knucklehead!

To me, van halen really went bad and died for me after they kicked sammy out in 1996. It was never the same. Eddie became really cocky after that. He thought he could never fail with lead singers. But by 98, van halen's popularity was long gone. It wasnt gary's fault, but it just didnt work. Its funny cause sammy got the last laugh. Wasn't a big fan of his solo work after VH, and he put alot out after that. Liked his chickenfoot thing. But eddie turned out to be a joke. It's sad cause eddie was really well respected as a great guitarist for a long time. The dude just dont put anything out at all now.

And never releases any live stuff for the fans. The guy just doesnt care. Eddie from 78-95, I liked the goofy go lucky happy drunk all the time smiling eddie.. Not the serious mean drunk he turned out to be in the late 90's till now. And i heard that big brother al is more of a jerk than he ever was..

good read. very honest. sammy claims alex was a bigger drinker than eddie. but totally quit around 88 and became not too cool.. yeah the 2004 tour was bad. eddie was drunk off his ass and being a jerk to everyone around him.

The new VH offering will be a bomb. No one in the history of rock n roll ( that lived beyond the age of 27) wasted their talent more then Eddie. I never seen VH live but that was just accidental because of scheduling . From what I have seen on tv ( US Festival ect ) they were horrendous live. Yes Ray's sister Kelly married AVH and they lived for a while in a huge custom build house . Then it all fell apart and they divorced. I'm not sure but I think they had a son Aric. AVH has three children total so I'm not sure. VH( the band) last great disc was fair warning . everything after that was just rehashed and watered down versions of that record. Balance was a great effort and I was disgusted when they fell apart when it seemed they had the formula correct. Rumor is the new disk is great but I beg to differ cause I have been a fan forever and know the score.They had to rework Dave's vocals . I fear Ed has fallen off the wagon yet again which would make any touring impossible . If you read sammy's book and the incident where Ed took a wine bottle and tried to break the window of a jet , you will know touring with him is impossible. Its a real shame but Ed is finished ... a real real shame.
  • Like 1

I think big al has been married a few times.. Yeah, balance was good but by the time balance came out, the music scene had changed with all the grunge and weird stuff of the 90's and van halen were on the way out. They kept on the scene a little longer with all the drama with kicking out sammy and getting back with dave again for 5 minutes. It was all over by that point. Yeah fair warning was awesome. Now on van halen live, the US festival was total crap. They were all sloppy drunk and dave was a terrible live singer . They got better live with sammy cause sammy actually sang better and didn't forget the words, he was professional unlike roth who only focused on getting laid and being way too drunk before shows.. They had the energy with roth no doubt. But i wouldn't try to impress anyone with their live shows vocally.. I read Valerie's book too and she disses some real dirt on eddie, which shows what a real jerk he could be.. The thing that's amazing is that eddie is still alive, i mean here's a guy who drank more than big keith richards and chain smokes to no end. He's still alive. that's amazing how much damage a human body can take... He really ruined his legacy. It's amazing how with all that talent his solos in concert are always the same..

I read some of Sammy's book online...or at least what was purported as being his book, and it said that Ray Daniels was talking alot of trash about Rush to VH. Saying they would never get really huge because of Geddy's voice and they were washed up, etc etc. Supposedly Hagar stuck up for Rush saying they should have been the next Zeppelin but because of bad management, it didnt happen. Dont know if that was in the actual book that came out but thats what I read.

QUOTE (jacklifeson @ Oct 31 2011, 08:41 AM)
I read some of Sammy's book online...or at least what was purported as being his book, and it said that Ray Daniels was talking alot of trash about Rush to VH. Saying they would never get really huge because of Geddy's voice and they were washed up, etc etc. Supposedly Hagar stuck up for Rush saying they should have been the next Zeppelin but because of bad management, it didnt happen. Dont know if that was in the actual book that came out but thats what I read.

This is actually in the book, and Sammy blames Ray on the bad atmosphere that ruined the band on the Balance tour and ended up in him being fired from the band. He claims that Ray tried to screw him on copyrights to VH's catalogue and was pushing to get Roth back in the band.

One thing that struck me reading Sam's book is that he NEVER admits he was wrong in any issue, be it personal or with any band. That being said, I do believe that most of what he says abouth the VH brothers is true.

sammy wasnt no angel either, i noticed that it was eddies band and gave sammy a hellva chance. Although sammy claims he took a paycut when he joined van halen cause his solo career was really taking off after I can't drive 55. But one thing i noticed was that eddie was stuck for a new lead singer and kinda let sammy incorporate his solo stuff into their live set instead doing roth stuff, which sammy agreed to doing the same 4 roth songs but as tours went on he would rather do his own solo stuff than eddies previous work. No women in love mean street, d.o.a. ect. So, seems like sammy got his way too, plus eddie was drunk most of the time and didn't seem to know what was really going on.

funny thing is. roth never was good live, we couldn't tell his true range in live shows in the 80's cause he would drink a bottle of jack daniels 2 hours before the show.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95GncqCxjxE&feature=related

QUOTE (kevorkazito @ Oct 28 2011, 04:14 AM)
I wonder if Alex is still married to Ray Daniels' sister?

Must've been crazy for him to manage VH after working with such congenial guys like Alex, Geddy and Neil.

I know that the guys in VH made it a challenge because of partying but I doubt working with Rush is a cakewalk. Neil and Geddy seem very demanding.

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Oct 31 2011, 09:02 AM)
One thing that struck me reading Sam's book is that he NEVER admits he was wrong in any issue, be it personal or with any band.

Sammy also Think's

He speaks to Aliens cool10.gif

He sold more albums with V.H. then Roth did laugh.gif

He was more Popular than Roth with V.H. fans rofl3.gif

He made Better Abums with V.H. than Roth did z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 2 2011, 12:28 PM)
One thing that struck me reading Sam's book is that he NEVER admits he was wrong in any issue, be it personal or with any band.

Sammy also Think's

True. But then again, all four of Sammy's VH albums went to #1 on the US charts while the Roth-era VH albums peaked at #2 (1984) and #3 (Diver Down). The only time a Roth VH album hit #1 was in Canada (1984).

In terms of sales, according to Wikipedia:

With Roth:

Diamond (10 million)

5x Platinum (5 million)

3x Platinum (3 million)

2x Platinum (2 million)

4x Platinum (4 million)

Diamond (10 million)

With Hagar:

6x Platinum (6 million)

4x Platinum (4 million)

3x Platinum (3 million)

3x Platinum (3 million)

Roth-era clearly wins overall. But looking at the Platinum-level, Roth-era scores 14x while Hagar-era scores 16x. It's the two Diamond releases that set the Roth-era apart.

I won't count the Best Of's because they're combo-sets, but the Hagar-era gets another 2x Platinum boost from the Live: Right Here, Right Now release.

Final tally has to be:

Roth-era: 2x Diamond, 14x Platinum over 6 releases for a total (rounded) of 24 million.

Hagar-era: 18x Platinum over 5 releases for a total (rounded) of 18 million.

A difference of only 6 million copies... which, safe to say, would have been easily overcome if the rift in the band hadn't resulted in Hagar leaving. Another album or two and they would have matched the Roth era handily.

I have too much time on my hands eh.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 2 2011, 02:05 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 2 2011, 12:28 PM)

Sammy also Think's

True. But then again, all four of Sammy's VH albums went to #1 on the US charts while the Roth-era VH albums peaked at #2 (1984) and #3 (Diver Down). The only time a Roth VH album hit #1 was in Canada (1984).

In terms of sales, according to Wikipedia:

With Roth:

Diamond (10 million)

5x Platinum (5 million)

3x Platinum (3 million)

2x Platinum (2 million)

4x Platinum (4 million)

Diamond (10 million)

With Hagar:

6x Platinum (6 million)

4x Platinum (4 million)

3x Platinum (3 million)

3x Platinum (3 million)

Roth-era clearly wins overall. But looking at the Platinum-level, Roth-era scores 14x while Hagar-era scores 16x. It's the two Diamond releases that set the Roth-era apart.

I won't count the Best Of's because they're combo-sets, but the Hagar-era gets another 2x Platinum boost from the Live: Right Here, Right Now release.

Final tally has to be:

Roth-era: 2x Diamond, 14x Platinum over 6 releases for a total (rounded) of 24 million.

Hagar-era: 18x Platinum over 5 releases for a total (rounded) of 18 million.

A difference of only 6 million copies... which, safe to say, would have been easily overcome if the rift in the band hadn't resulted in Hagar leaving. Another album or two and they would have matched the Roth era handily.

I have too much time on my hands eh.gif

Someone posted a link to the RIAA Gold and Platinum website a few years ago. I do remember that they counted the live album with sammy as well and the total was

With Roth -34 Million

With Sammy- 18 Million

Which makes sense because i have read many a place that V.H. has sold over 50 Million albums , and these numbers match up . I had some time as well biggrin.gif

(Not going to bother re-quoting all that stuff biggrin.gif)

That's very possible since I was using the rounded numbers provided on the Wikipedia entry for their discography. When they say "Diamond" they mean a minimum of 10 million units, so if they've sold 19 million copies of VH(1), then it'll still be listed as a Diamond release.

My total came to 42 million overall, which isn't too far off from the 50 million number you've got - and like I said, I think the discrepancy there is probably a matter of the rounding.