Food that makes you wonder. . .

Mara

There are certain food items that are, oh, say, ugly (certain fish, kiwi looks like a hairball), or smells awful (again, certain fish, and durian), and you wonder who first thought it might be a good idea to put it in their mouths, chew and swallow.

Like the artichoke. I love them. But the outside is covered with tough spiny leaves and if you're determined enough to get past that, a big wad of armpit-hair-looking stuff. Someone once looked at one and thought, "well, clearly Mother Nature is telling me to STAY AWAY, but I'm going to give Her the middle finger and dig in. Hopefully I won't die."

Edited by Mara

Ive always wondered about cheese. who says "hey lets eat this curdled milk, it looks tasty!" "dude wtfs wrong with you, its rotten! its all blue and white n shit" "haha f**k yeah! i dont give a shit!"

and cheese is born

I love cheese

There is a bar not far from me that has a Turkey Testicle Festival. They serve up hundreds of pounds of honest to goodness turkey testicles. I've often wondered who was so hungry that deep frying a pair sounded like a good idea.

Same with Rocky Mountain Oysters. 062802puke_prv.gif

Parsnips. Unless they're roasted to a crisp, they taste like weeds.

I've always wondered how people got accompaniments right, lamb with mint, pork with apple sauce etc....

Was it all trial and error?

"You tried Pork with WHAAAAAAT!?!?!? You're crazy, try it with apple sauce instead.....less heaving, I promise".

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Oct 12 2011, 10:25 PM)
Ive always wondered about cheese. who says "hey lets eat this curdled milk, it looks tasty!" "dude wtfs wrong with you, its rotten! its all blue and white n shit" "haha f**k yeah! i dont give a shit!"

and cheese is born

I love cheese

For that matter, milk itself. How drunk was the first person to think of squeezing the dangly bits under a cow and drinking whatever came out?

QUOTE (Mara @ Oct 13 2011, 11:25 AM)

and cheese is born

I love cheese

For that matter, milk itself. How drunk was the first person to think of squeezing the dangly bits under a cow and drinking whatever came out?

laugh.gif

Or who took the time to churn that cow juice into butter the first time.

Kopi luwak or civet coffee

one of the world's most expensive and low-production varieties of coffee. It is made from the beans of coffee berries which have been eaten by the Asian Palm Civet and other related civets, then passed through its digestive tract. A civet eats the berries for their fleshy pulp. In its stomach, proteolytic enzymes seep into the beans, making shorter peptides and more free amino acids. Passing through a civet's intestines the beans are then defecated, keeping their shape. After gathering, thorough washing, sun drying, light roasting and brewing, these beans yield an aromatic coffee with much less bitterness, widely noted as the most expensive coffee in the world with prices reaching $160 per pound.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Oct 13 2011, 12:19 PM)

one of the world's most expensive and low-production varieties of coffee. It is made from the beans of coffee berries which have been eaten by the Asian Palm Civet and other related civets, then passed through its digestive tract. A civet eats the berries for their fleshy pulp. In its stomach, proteolytic enzymes seep into the beans, making shorter peptides and more free amino acids. Passing through a civet's intestines the beans are then defecated, keeping their shape. After gathering, thorough washing, sun drying, light roasting and brewing, these beans yield an aromatic coffee with much less bitterness, widely noted as the most expensive coffee in the world with prices reaching $160 per pound.

I wonder if the same thing happens to corn? unsure.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Oct 13 2011, 04:25 PM)

and cheese is born

I love cheese

Yeah....maybe he wasn't squeezing it.......

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Oct 13 2011, 12:58 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Oct 13 2011, 12:19 PM)

I wonder if the same thing happens to corn? unsure.gif

But who thought - "see those beans that cat just crapped out? Let's go make some coffee!!"

Artichoke was the first thing that came to mind when I read the thread title. "Ooo look, a giant thistle flower. I bet it's good in the center, once we peel away all the sharp, pointy petals. Oh hey, let's eat the small bit at the bottom of those first. Maybe we should dip them in butter or mayonnaise." Of course, I love artichokes, so I thank the person who did that.

Crabs and lobsters. Who looked at a crab and thought, "I bet there's some tasty meat inside that shell. We just need to get past those big claws."?

Okra. It's all slimy when cooked in a soup. Very unappetizing. But I do like it fried.

QUOTE (Khan @ Oct 14 2011, 04:24 AM)
Rocky Mountain oysters
confused13.gif  confused13.gif

http://wikitravel.org/upload/shared/thumb/7/74/Rocky_Mountain_Oysters_Colorado.jpg/270px-Rocky_Mountain_Oysters_Colorado.jpg

They look alright don't they? It's amazing what a chef can do with several pairs of sheep testicles!

In Mexico I was served tacos filled with coagulated blood, which had the consistancy of soft, salty ground beef.

Wasn't bad, actually. Made me wonder whose idea it was to try it first, though.

QUOTE (goose @ Oct 21 2011, 02:04 PM)
I used to live in central Nevada rancher country...the kids would castrate, throw 'em in the fire till they pooped, then get a stick, poke 'em and eat 'em.

until who/what pooped?? 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Oct 21 2011, 03:32 PM)
QUOTE (goose @ Oct 21 2011, 02:04 PM)
I used to live in central Nevada rancher country...the kids would castrate, throw 'em in the fire till they pooped, then get a stick, poke 'em and eat 'em.

until who/what pooped?? 062802puke_prv.gif

"popped". oops.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Oct 13 2011, 05:25 PM)

and cheese is born

I love cheese

Errm.. who says they squeezed ?

QUOTE (Chicken hawk @ Oct 21 2011, 05:57 PM)
Who poped the first popcorn?

Native Americans. I guess a dried cob fell into a fire and then.... popcorn.gif

Who looked at a pineapple and said, "I bet there's some yummy stuff under all that armor."?

QUOTE (Chicken hawk @ Oct 21 2011, 05:57 PM)
Who popped the first popcorn?

Native Americans. I guess a dried cob fell into a fire and then.... popcorn.gif

Who looked at a pineapple and said, "I bet there's some yummy stuff under all that armor."?