remember that Jacob's Ladder talk...

liddybuck01

Neil said in Taking Center Stage about how it was on the original set list, but after going back and listening and trying to re learn the parts, they decided it just wasn't a good fit. he said they had the opposite feeling about Presto, and that's why it made it.

very interesting. glad to know Alex wasn't lying haha

Do I remember all the talk about Jacob's Ladder... yeah, I remember being in a constant state of pissed off whenever I visited TRF because people wouldn't let it the fk go. You'd think Alex had murdered someone's mom and had his way with the corpse the way some people were acting around here.

So yeah, good to know he wasn't lying about that and that there was, after all, a perfectly reasonable explanation about why it wasn't in the set list. Kinda like what a bunch of us were trying to say at the time banghead.gif

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Oct 6 2011, 09:22 PM)
How was that song difficult for them to re-learn??
I mean, they wrote it.

Maybe it wasn't a case of them not being able to re-learn it, maybe they didn't like the way it sounded...or a feast of other "don't likes".

The omission of "Jacob`s Ladder" was to me the biggest disappointment with the "Time Machine" tour. As great it was to see stuff like "Presto" and "The Camera Eye" played, I really hope to see "Jacob`s Ladder" on a setlist in the future!

Having seen the Time Machine tour twice and heard several boots I don't think Jacob's Ladder would have been a good fit, but maybe it's just because I heard the show so many times with an unchanging set list. Listening to Caravan and BU2B makes me think that it will fit into the next tour. I hope they will loosen up a bit next time and maybe vary the set list a bit from night to night. Fingers crossed.

If it's between Jacob's Ladder and Presto, I vote Presto every time.

Jacob's Ladder sort of meanders through redundant sections of weird time signature groove.

Presto is a song that, while following a semi-typical verse-chorus structure, says a lot more about life, and gets to the point much faster.

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Oct 6 2011, 09:37 PM)
He kinda said how presto is fun to play every night, whereas Jacobs ladder might not have been. I can go back and listen and transcribe tomorrow.

I think Jacob's Ladder is WAAAAAYYYYY more fun to play than Presto.

personal opinion

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Oct 7 2011, 08:48 AM)
I hope they will loosen up a bit next time and maybe vary the set list a bit from night to night. Fingers crossed.

Unless you see the band multiple times, I don't see the appeal in doing this. Normally I only get to see a band once during a given tour, so if they change the setlist and it so happens to be the one I wanted less (which I've looked at which varying sets ended up in Montreal, most of the time it's the one I liked the least), then I feel almost cheated in a way by bad luck. If they keep the setlist the same all of the time, then nobody can complain except the people who see more than one show, which I'm pretty sure is a minority of fans.

QUOTE (Freeze @ Oct 7 2011, 05:58 AM)
The omission of "Jacob`s Ladder" was to me the biggest disappointment with the "Time Machine" tour. As great it was to see stuff like "Presto" and "The Camera Eye" played, I really hope to see "Jacob`s Ladder" on a setlist in the future!

yes.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Oct 7 2011, 08:11 AM)
QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Oct 7 2011, 08:48 AM)
I hope they will loosen up a bit next time and maybe vary the set list a bit from night to night.  Fingers crossed.

Unless you see the band multiple times, I don't see the appeal in doing this. Normally I only get to see a band once during a given tour, so if they change the setlist and it so happens to be the one I wanted less (which I've looked at which varying sets ended up in Montreal, most of the time it's the one I liked the least), then I feel almost cheated in a way by bad luck. If they keep the setlist the same all of the time, then nobody can complain except the people who see more than one show, which I'm pretty sure is a minority of fans.

That's exactly how I feel about bands changing setlists to. Unless you're like Metallica who changes a handful of songs up every night and records each show for fans to download I don't see the point? It's OK for them to do it because at least they're allowing everyone to experience a different set in some way.

But since the bulk of people who attend shows only see a particular band once a tour what purpose does it serve? That's why bands like Rush and many, many others play the same set for a whole tour. That way everyone gets the same songs/show and nobody feels cheated because some cities may have got certian songs and then you didn't get them.

Also, not changing sets helps Rush to be the perfectionists they are live. If they switch stuff up all the time there will be some mistakes due to not doing certain songs every show.

QUOTE (Freeze @ Oct 7 2011, 04:58 AM)

The Jacob's Ladder omision really pissed me off. I still had a blast at the show. I did not know the setlist ahead of time other than the obvious MP songs as well as Alex's quote of JL being in the setlist.

Being an "old Rush good, new Rush not so good" fan, I certainly wasn't pleased with the setlist.

They weren't feellin it. End of story. For me, Presto is a FAR better choice anyway - the song has much personal meaning to me and sounded fantastic. Jacobs Ladder is cool, but meandering in spots.

I thought the reaction to JL not being played was an embarressing low point for Rush fans on these messagebloards. After all the years of endless, constant, agonizing hystrionics about "The Camera Eye" - the band finally decides to play it (and Presto for the first time ever) - only to have grown men and women act like their dogs had been murdered because Alex "tricked" everyone with mention of Jacobs Ladder.

I understand the desire to see a different set-list night after night, especially with a band that has such a vast catalogue - however, a band like Rush veiwes their set as a "production" in much the same way a broadway show is a production. It actually is not boring to perform the same set night after night - just as it isn't boring putting on the same play or musical.

Each performance is different. The level of playing and energy varies - and the ultimate goal is to fire on all cylinders and "perfect" the show as best you can - and when you do, the feeling is amazing.

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Oct 6 2011, 10:37 PM)
He kinda said how presto is fun to play every night, whereas Jacobs ladder might not have been. I can go back and listen and transcribe tomorrow.

Maybe Presto has a better groove he likes?