RUSH snubbed again by RNR Hall of Shame !

Oziumrules

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I figured it out. They put talentless acts like JJ on the list to help the more deserving ones be more of a shoe-in. That reduces amount of slots for worthy bands even more, but it does make sense.

QUOTE (Pags @ Sep 27 2011, 09:45 PM)
I think I figured it out. They put talentless acts like JJ on the list to help the more deserving ones be more of a shoe-in. That reduces amount of slots for worthy bands even more, but it does make sense.

I dont know, I think she deserves to be in. There wasnt exactly a lot of female rockers with any sort of commercial success going on when she came out, and she paved the way for a lot that came after her.

I dont like her music, I dont think she is super talented or anything, but she wrote a lot of songs that were popular and really helped open up the world of rock for women.

As I said in the other thread, I get the whole commercial success/trend argument but

Why are they inducting POP acts before all important ROCK groups are inducted?

This is a ROCK AND ROLL Hall of 'Fame', is it not?

Just sayin'.

I stopped worrying about Rush being inducted at least 10 years ago.

It is no longer about Rock and Roll and hasn't been for many years.

The criteria makes no sense, otherwise Rush and a handful of well deserving bands would have been in long ago or shortly after their eligibility year.

Just look at some of the artists that have been inducted:

The Bee Gees

Blondie

Madonna

Run-D.M.C.

ABBA

Talking Heads

Bob Marley

Hank Williams

Michael Jackson

All of the above played ZERO rock and roll. The remotely closest thing to R&R are Talking Heads and to me they were pop / alt all the way.

Those are just the inductees and if you look at recent nominees it gets really, really sad. I'm not going to search on them but I know two in recent years made me do a Geddy "head slap" : J.Geils Band and LL Cool J. A two hit wonder and a rapper. Lame.

Anyways I wouldn't sweat it. The universe is unfolding as it should and I hope Rush are never invited and if they are, I would love for them to decline politely, of course, as good Canadian lads... not to be spiteful (no, no, that's not the way to go) but just to reinforce what people have known for decades now, that their music stands on it's own and they don't need any awards, adulation or affirmation.

Not surprised.....unfortunately.

new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif rage.gif 062802puke_prv.gif fing.gif

QUOTE (ByTor2112 @ Sep 27 2011, 11:41 PM)

The criteria makes no sense, otherwise Rush and a handful of well deserving bands would have been in long ago or shortly after their eligibility year.

The Bee Gees
Blondie
Madonna
Run-D.M.C.
ABBA
Bob Marley
Hank Williams
Michael Jackson

All of the above played ZERO rock and roll.

Gotta agree with you there.

Actually this is interesting. To the poster who was arguing about the criteria of pioneering new musical trends, most of those listed above certainly didn't either along with other inductees like AC/DC and Fleetwood Mac (both of which I like) who were mentioned in one of the other five threads on the subject. At least Rush created some new sounds and approaches and were unique in combining some very different musical styles in a way that was pretty cutting edge for the time. In comparison to these, their music has stood the test of time quite well and still sounds pretty vital and fresh.

I also must dispute the point about Rush not having enough mainstream success. I believe every album from Permanent Waves through Power Windows was top 10, plus they had a couple of more top 10 albums in the 90s. So yea more than couple of years of mainstream popularity as was implied. What do they have, like 14 platinum albums and several more that are gold? I believe they're solidly in the top 100 rock artists in terms of total sales.

So it's really not too hard to figure out. It's a bias against the band, plain and simple. Rush doesn't fit the plan.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Sep 27 2011, 09:59 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 27 2011, 12:55 PM)
So there's a rock and roll hall of fame WITHOUT Rush, Yes, Jethro Tull, Kiss, ELP, The Moody Blues, King Crimson and Deep Purple?  Are you f*cking kidding me???

What would be hilarious is if someone would build "The REAL Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame" just down the street to include the aformentioned groups. laugh.gif

My Hubby and I were saying this very thing earlier. Maybe we can get Paul Allen to set one up at the Experience Music Project. He's one of us... a nerd, geek, misfit.

As far as RRHOF goes, it's a vanity thing for Wenner - he created it, he controls it. He hates Prog. Simple as that. Besides Genesis - who waited 25 years - there is only Pink Floyd representing Prog Rock. As my daughter observed, "He HAD to induct Floyd." So, there we are... an asshole who decided to start giving out completely subjective "inductions" to his own personal little popularity club. Screw him.

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

Also about Jann Wenner on his wiki page. Lovely.

Wenner endured controversy when he fired notable rock critic Jim DeRogatis in 1996 after DeRogatis published a negative review for an album by the then popular band Hootie and the Blowfish. Wenner was reportedly angry because the band's record label, Atlantic Records, bought lots of advertising in the magazine and were expecting a good review for the band's sophomore effort, Fairweather Johnson. Wenner pulled DeRogatis' review from the magazine. Asked by the New York Observer if Wenner was a fan of Hootie and the Blowfish, DeRogatis responded that Wenner "is a fan of any band that sells eight million records." Wenner fired DeRogatis the next day.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Sep 28 2011, 05:24 AM)
QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Sep 27 2011, 05:00 PM)
Joan Jett?

rofl3.gif

Good Lord....

But she LOVES Rock & Roll...... confused13.gif

Good Point!

laugh.gif

The woman had a couple of hit singles 30 years ago. And they were covers at that! That qualifies for the "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame?

Whatever.

I don't get too worked up about this issue, but it is kind of funny to see who they find worthy of consideration every year.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 28 2011, 05:47 AM)

Wenner endured controversy when he fired notable rock critic Jim DeRogatis in 1996 after DeRogatis published a negative review for an album by the then popular band Hootie and the Blowfish. Wenner was reportedly angry because the band's record label, Atlantic Records, bought lots of advertising in the magazine and were expecting a good review for the band's sophomore effort, Fairweather Johnson. Wenner pulled DeRogatis' review from the magazine. Asked by the New York Observer if Wenner was a fan of Hootie and the Blowfish, DeRogatis responded that Wenner "is a fan of any band that sells eight million records." Wenner fired DeRogatis the next day.

Look for Hootie to be in any year now .

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 28 2011, 06:47 AM)

This guy is a f**kstick and is Rock n Roll castrated. I can't believe how he has been allowed to dilute what RnR is.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Sep 27 2011, 08:27 AM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Sep 27 2011, 11:21 AM)
In all honesty, I don't want them to get it. More accurately, I hope they get an offer and they tell them to shove it up their ass.

goodpost.gif

Absolutely...I've said this before as well. I'd love to see them get nominated, and simply decline it.

I know they wouldn't do it because they are a classy group, but man...it would be fantastic to have them decline the hall. I would be proud of them personally.

^^^ I agree. To think they would have the privilege of paying something like $25,000 for a table to be inducted. wacko.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 28 2011, 08:29 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 28 2011, 06:47 AM)
Also about Jann Wenner on his wiki page.  Lovely.

This guy is a f**kstick and is Rock n Roll castrated. I can't believe how he has been allowed to dilute what RnR is.

Donna Halper has said as long as he is in charge Rush will never be inducted.

Somebody needs to challenge him.

QUOTE (ByTor2112 @ Sep 27 2011, 11:41 PM)

The Bee Gees
Blondie
Madonna
Run-D.M.C.
ABBA
Talking Heads
Bob Marley
Hank Williams
Michael Jackson

All of the above played ZERO rock and roll. The remotely closest thing to R&R are Talking Heads and to me they were pop / alt all the way.

Those are just the inductees and if you look at recent nominees it gets really, really sad. I'm not going to search on them but I know two in recent years made me do a Geddy "head slap" : J.Geils Band and LL Cool J. A two hit wonder and a rapper. Lame.

Anyways I wouldn't sweat it. The universe is unfolding as it should and I hope Rush are never invited and if they are, I would love for them to decline politely, of course, as good Canadian lads... not to be spiteful (no, no, that's not the way to go) but just to reinforce what people have known for decades now, that their music stands on it's own and they don't need any awards, adulation or affirmation.

facepalm.gif

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Sep 28 2011, 09:14 AM)
Joan Jett?

rofl3.gif

Good Lord....

Good Point!

laugh.gif

The woman had a couple of hit singles 30 years ago. And they were covers at that! That qualifies for the "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame?

Whatever.

I don't get too worked up about this issue, but it is kind of funny to see who they find worthy of consideration every year.

She was also in The Runaways, who were a pretty good band actually. yes.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Sep 28 2011, 03:17 PM)
Joan Jett?

rofl3.gif

Good Lord....

Good Point!

laugh.gif

Whatever.

They'll probably be nominated next. sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Sep 28 2011, 03:22 PM)
Joan Jett?

rofl3.gif

Good Lord....

Good Point!

laugh.gif

Whatever.

And The Runaways have made no secret of the fact that they hate the members of Rush, which is probably a big plus factor in terms of getting a nomination. Probably helped Jett's cause, as a matter of fact.

QUOTE (Mara @ Sep 28 2011, 03:51 PM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Sep 28 2011, 03:22 PM)
Joan Jett?

rofl3.gif

Good Lord....

Good Point!

laugh.gif

Whatever.

And The Runaways have made no secret of the fact that they hate the members of Rush, which is probably a big plus factor in terms of getting a nomination. Probably helped Jett's cause, as a matter of fact.

Which leads me back to my earlier point. They probably nominate talentless cover artists on purpose to give the more worthy ones on the list a better chance at being inducted.

The Runaway "ladies" probably thought they could hook up with 3 of them and couldn't handle being flat out rejected. Hence, the hatred.

Edited by Pags