Terra nova

Lost In Xanadu

It's all about the writing.

If you're going to have a show that contains both "problem of the week" AND an ongoing story arc you better have good writers who can weave the two components together as well as build on character development.

It's why Lost and X-Files were so successful, and to a lesser degree Fringe has been doing a decent job of it.

It's why rubbish Lost wanna-be's like the event and flashforward dies a quick death and now Terra Nova I'm sure will suffer the same fate. Deservedly so.

QUOTE (toscanobarga @ Oct 5 2011, 01:50 PM)

If you're going to have a show that contains both "problem of the week" AND an ongoing story arc you better have good writers who can weave the two components together as well as build on character development.

It's why Lost and X-Files were so successful, and to a lesser degree Fringe has been doing a decent job of it.

It's why rubbish Lost wanna-be's like the event and flashforward dies a quick death and now Terra Nova I'm sure will suffer the same fate. Deservedly so.

I did like flashforward though. They had a concrete storyline that was set from the beginning.

Terra Nova feels like they are making it up as they go

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Oct 5 2011, 11:04 AM)
I watched it again on Monday and it was even worse. Add the previews for next week in and I'm pretty sure I'm done.

Like I said...I gave the very first episode a half hour and knew it was rubbish.

Thankfully I only watched a 1/2 hour.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Oct 5 2011, 11:07 AM)

I did like flashforward though. They had a concrete storyline that was set from the beginning.

Yeah but the acting by the lead character in FlashForward was just atrocious. I don't care if he's Ralph Fiennes' brother, he was terrible.

Mayb eif they'd gotten an American actor to play an American it might have actually been ok, but he had no personality, no acting ability, and his accent was laughable.

QUOTE (toscanobarga @ Oct 5 2011, 02:48 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Oct 5 2011, 11:07 AM)

Yeah but the acting by the lead character in FlashForward was just atrocious. I don't care if he's Ralph Fiennes' brother, he was terrible.

Mayb eif they'd gotten an American actor to play an American it might have actually been ok, but he had no personality, no acting ability, and his accent was laughable.

I completely agree. The hook of the story kept me interested, I looked past the lead character and lots of other sub-standard acting smile.gif

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Oct 5 2011, 09:47 AM)

I haven't watched it yet, I have the episodes on DVR. Based on what I'm reading I'm not sure I want to waste my time. sarcasm.gif

Don't listen to all the naysayers. I really enjoyed the pilot and will continue watching. I don't know what the other people on this board think is good TV - maybe our tastes are a lot different.

At least we all love the same band!

2.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Oct 5 2011, 09:59 AM)
I'll give it one more episode but I don't know why. Bland one-dimensional characters, hackneyed plot and irritating young people. Bah!

I got halfway through Monday's episode and then deleted it from my DVR and canceled my series recording.

It is foul.

Let me start by saying that I did not have very high hopes for this show going in. So much so I forgot about it and had to watch it on demand. And for those of you who watch NETWORK shows on demand know, they put commercials in and don't let you fast forward. Funny that AMC and FX on demand put in commercials but let you ff.

But anyway, I did have a hard time watching the pilot as it was kinda cheesy and boring and for alot of the reasons people here are ripping it. On top of that, not being able to ff was killing me, sometimes that alone, makes me just not watch a show in itself. I HATE COMMERCIALS.

But I guess since I had low expectations, I have enjoyed it more than most on the forum. Of course they use the standard Network formula, The Dad, the Mom, the angry teenage son and the silly teenage storylines. The network strategy of making each weeks show be able to stand on themselves ie. you don't have to pay alot of attention to the details as they have been so far, problem, then problem solved by the end of the episode. It's by no means near as good as a network show like Glee...JK...FRINGE. Glee...just the name alone makes me want to shoot myself in the head.

I have to admit I don't think that the effects are as bad as people have said on the forum. The dinosaurs look real enough, the computers, the world they live in look decent.

So all that being said, I like this show. Trust me, coming from a Breaking Bad is the best show ever made fan, and BB being a 10 on a 1 to 10 scale, this show is like a 6. If I missed an episode of Terra Nova it wouldn't kill me like it would for BB but if it's not in conflict with something else I want to watch and my DVR records it, I end up watching it and being entertained.

One thing though that might factor in is my situation being that I can watch alot more tv than probably alot of you so I don't have to prioritize so much. (can't work due to medical issues) If I was working my old schedule I would definitely not be watching this show, I just wouldn't have the time to watch the great shows on AMC and FX and sporting events etc.

So, IMO it is a decent show considering it is on a network and not as bad as some are making it out to be. And I do like the general premise and possibilities of the direction they could go in.

So take that for what it's worth. Maybe I am fing.gif

^^^ what he said.

really guys, it's a Spielberg project with the team of Braga and Echevarria from TNG. How bad can it be? If treated like a summer fill in show (as it was meant to be most likely) it's pretty damn good! So quit with the armchair criticism and enjoy some good ol' fashioned Sci Fi with modern day CGI and sh!t Oh and as for the teenaged angst, would YOU be happy if mom and dad took you out of your "comfort zone" with your squeeze, your buds and your hangouts to a new place...THAT ACTUALLY DOES SUCK?

QUOTE (BeOhBe Bob @ Nov 3 2011, 04:08 PM)
^^^ what he said.

really guys, it's a Spielberg project with the team of Braga and Echevarria from TNG. How bad can it be? If treated like a summer fill in show (as it was meant to be most likely) it's pretty damn good! So quit with the armchair criticism and enjoy some good ol' fashioned Sci Fi with modern day CGI and sh!t Oh and as for the teenaged angst, would YOU be happy if mom and dad took you out of your "comfort zone" with your squeeze, your buds and your hangouts to a new place...THAT ACTUALLY DOES SUCK?

If I'd have known those people were involved from the start I'd never have begun watching. This is a PG family adventure show. The sci-fi aspect has been a joke so far. Terra Nova has crossed over into "so bad it's good territory" so I've continued to watch for the funny parts and zone out for the boring.

That said, if I was a pre-teen I'd probably think this show was great. One of those shows/movies you love as a kid but when you revisit it as an adult it's all but unwatchable.

QUOTE (BeOhBe Bob @ Nov 3 2011, 03:08 PM)
^^^ what he said. 

really guys, it's a Spielberg project with the  team of Braga and Echevarria from TNG.  How bad can it be?  If treated like a summer fill in show (as it was meant to be most likely)  it's pretty damn good! So quit with the armchair criticism and enjoy some good ol' fashioned Sci Fi with modern day CGI and sh!t  Oh and as for the teenaged angst, would YOU be happy if mom and dad took you out of your "comfort zone" with your squeeze, your buds and your hangouts to a new place...THAT ACTUALLY DOES SUCK?

BeOhBe Bob,

Thanks for the backup! It's not the best show in the world but not as bad as some make it out to be. I thought I was gonna be on an island by myself!

trink39.gif

Finally after watching the last 4 episodes and then the 2 hour season finale that stacked up on my DVR I have to say I enjoyed this show.

Everything said in this thread, good and bad about this show, has been true. It's a PG13 adventure show on network tv that airs at 8pm so what else do you expect? If it was on SyFy, FX or AMC, or at least aired at 10pm I'd be thoroughly disappointed, but since I figured it'd be made to appeal to a mass audience and it was on a network, I had low expectations. Alot of those were fulfilled. The plot was alot more simple than I figured it would be. Each time I started to think the show could go in a cool direction, it went down the path that seemed the most uncomplicated. Although the last scene of the finale and what they found on the planet 85 million years in the past was intriguing. It makes me wonder where the show is gonna go in season 2.

All that said, is this a great show? No. Is it good. IMO yes. The special effects are as good as just about any movie and amazing for network tv. Even though they have alot of teenage angst story lines, that is to be expected since it's on a network at 8pm, the cool scenery, special effects and some aspects of the plot make up for it. Overall it's decent little adventure show and I am glad I sat thru some of the ridiculous to get to the end of season 1. It's one of those shows that I don't rush to watch but when I finally watch it and suspend disbelief and forgive cheesiness, I enjoy it.

Again, I look forward to season 2, in so much as, to find out what the deal is with what they found. And when I am caught up on all my favorite shows, I will watch 2 or 3 episodes back to back and take them for what they are worth. A decent network sci-fi show. (Fringe would be an AMAZING network sci-fi show)

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Dec 20 2011, 02:05 AM)
Finally after watching the last 4 episodes and then the 2 hour season finale that stacked up on my DVR I have to say I enjoyed this show.

Everything said in this thread, good and bad about this show, has been true. It's a PG13 adventure show on network tv that airs at 8pm so what else do you expect? If it was on SyFy, FX or AMC, or at least aired at 10pm I'd be thoroughly disappointed, but since I figured it'd be made to appeal to a mass audience and it was on a network, I had low expectations. Alot of those were fulfilled. The plot was alot more simple than I figured it would be. Each time I started to think the show could go in a cool direction, it went down the path that seemed the most uncomplicated. Although the last scene of the finale and what they found on the planet 85 million years in the past was intriguing. It makes me wonder where the show is gonna go in season 2.

All that said, is this a great show? No. Is it good. IMO yes. The special effects are as good as just about any movie and amazing for network tv. Even though they have alot of teenage angst story lines, that is to be expected since it's on a network at 8pm, the cool scenery, special effects and some aspects of the plot make up for it. Overall it's decent little adventure show and I am glad I sat thru some of the ridiculous to get to the end of season 1. It's one of those shows that I don't rush to watch but when I finally watch it and suspend disbelief and forgive cheesiness, I enjoy it.

Again, I look forward to season 2, in so much as, to find out what the deal is with what they found. And when I am caught up on all my favorite shows, I will watch 2 or 3 episodes back to back and take them for what they are worth. A decent network sci-fi show. (Fringe would be an AMAZING network sci-fi show)

goodpost.gif

I agree with your statements about this show, and am disappointed about all the negative comments. I won't be surprised if they cancel the show, because that's what they seem to do with all the good shows.

Sure, the violence is hokey. The characters survive all kind of violence that should have killed them. It's terribly unrealistic in that sense. But, like you said, it's a PG-13 show, and I think all of us would be a lot better off with seeing less violence on TV. Overall, I think it's a great show.

Soon lost interest after 3 episodes, seen all this before somewhere. Nothing grabbed me at all, the acting or the story lines, pretty disappointing.