Nightwish

physics23

What an experience indeed, Segue.

I don't even know any of those songs, haha...but the fact that you were there, your first Nightwish gig, being preserved for all time, like that...that's marvelous.

• Like 1

Sounds awesome Segue!

Wish I could've gotten there.

The Greatest Show on Earth must have been amazing!

It was! At first I thought it was only going to be a segment...but then after five minutes it hit me that it was going to be the entire song, and I was just overwhelmed!

After experiencing Seven Days, Ghost Love Score, The Poet, Last Ride Of The Day I honestly assumed that was it...but NOOOOOO!! Nightwish went and topped what had already blown everyone away (GLS), and it was MINDBLOWING.

• Like 1

What an experience indeed, Segue.

I don't even know any of those songs, haha...but the fact that you were there, your first Nightwish gig, being preserved for all time, like that...that's marvelous.

Although I had no idea they were actually were going to record the Wembley gig, I cannot deny that secretly I was hoping they would (especially as this is the only UK gig, I assume, for this current album tour).

And I was absolutely amazed by it all! If the DVD sounds too perfect and polished, just know that isn't studio mixing: it sounded like that in the arena!

Blue J, Nightwish are not for everyone, I wish you could understand exactly what makes them so special and why the concert was the aural and visual heartwarming extravaganza that it was, but at least I know you feel this way about other bands!

I rarely feel connected to musicians as people. Their writing? Yes, but the person themselves? No.

But I have always felt somehow drawn to Tuomas Holopainen. He and I are very alike in so many ways, and his writing is perhaps the most personally attached I have ever felt, and as the years go by I sense this more and more.

For example, watching Nemo live, it hit me: Nemo means "nobody", the song is about someone who feels they are nothing, NAMELESS even, looking for an identity, a meaning, a purpose, A NAME. I always loved it as a melody, as a pop song. But live, watching Tuomas and listening to Floor, it was so emotional and I finally grasped the full beauty and power of the song, and the heart and mind of the man behind them. This followed The Poet And The Pendulum, which is essentially a thirteen minute through Tuomas depression, guilt and south loathing at the anger and hurt he felt after suffering through the traumatic experience of firing, so publicly, Tarja Turunen (plus other things). It is just delicate, often very self indulgent (but I hear it as honesty) and bombastic, but I hear only the intimacy, and emotions in the music.

Last night topped my feeling the first time I played Tales From Topographic Oceans. So far, the greatest peak of emotion I have yet felt from music.

It's amazing how Nightwish have grown in me with age. Last night was just everything I needed, it was a huge emotional release for me, and I had not expected that. It has ended a very difficult (but important) year in my life on a much higher note than I could have anticipated.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 4

Great to hear this was recorded for a DVD. They recorded a show in Vancouver I believe it was earlier this year. I wonder if it will be a double DVD or maybe it will be part of a bonus disc with songs that weren't played at Wembley?

Either way, I'm very much looking forward to this release.

• Like 1

Segue - many thanks for great review of the show in Wembley!!! So happy you had a blast.

When they announced many of the tour dates for the current tour I noticed they announced / posted the Wembley show way out in advance. So much so that it stuck out big time to me. It almost screamed "We are booking this so far out so that all our fans have tons of time to get tickets and clear their schedules to be there because we want a huge & energetic crowd since we are going to film this show." Glad my gut was correct.

Glad to hear they also filmed another show. When I saw them opening night of the current tour in NYC the set was different - it included "The Islander". Perhaps songs like that will wind up on the DVD as bonus features. I would love to see that on the DVD.

Man, I am looking forward to that DVD!!!!!

Now if they could just get big enough over in the US to play outdoor venues like SPAC (I prefer outdoor shows to indoor shows).

Thanks again for the great review!!!!

• Like 1

Segue - many thanks for great review of the show in Wembley!!! So happy you had a blast.

When they announced many of the tour dates for the current tour I noticed they announced / posted the Wembley show way out in advance. So much so that it stuck out big time to me. It almost screamed "We are booking this so far out so that all our fans have tons of time to get tickets and clear their schedules to be there because we want a huge & energetic crowd since we are going to film this show." Glad my gut was correct.

Glad to hear they also filmed another show. When I saw them opening night of the current tour in NYC the set was different - it included "The Islander". Perhaps songs like that will wind up on the DVD as bonus features. I would love to see that on the DVD.

Man, I am looking forward to that DVD!!!!!

Now if they could just get big enough over in the US to play outdoor venues like SPAC (I prefer outdoor shows to indoor shows).

Thanks again for the great review!!!!

I agree, I had strong suspicions this concert and venue was meant for something special for a long while now!

I hope the full concert is released, and not just bits and pieces. It was an exceptional concert! I have looked online at other gigs in this tour, and few come close!

I am glad they were able to sell out Wembley, so glad! I would do not all again in a heartbeat!

Here is Tarja in 1993 singing the most inappropriate song ever with her music teacher. Such a bad choice of song its almost like watching an SNL skit:

Metal Hammer UK just reviewed the Nightwish gig at Wembley, the one I went too!

Here it is:

The headliners tonight have long since been packing out arenas across Europe, so on its own, the sold-out capacity of Wembley should not be news. But this is Britain, and female clean vocals, lush symphonics and a musical style that owes more to Stratovarius than Slayer has historically been less fashionable than nostril hairs in omelettes here. So that the second Finnish act of the night are not just here but ramming the place to the gills with fans ready to go nuts is exceptional. And of course NIGHTWISH [10], with years of practice at this, don’t just look comfortable, they look like they f***ing own the place.

http://files.teamrock.com/images/696d616765-56b1e5c15f83f6.20066435/1280x851.jpg

Nightwish: right at home in arenas (Photo by Kevin Nixon)

The list of everything Nightwish have going for them tonight is impressively large – as you would expect from a band well experienced at this level. They’ve got a back catalogue so fantastic at this point that they can leave out an entire album of hits (Wishmaster material is nowhere to be seen) and not play a duff song all night. They have a spectacular stage show that demands the big venue, from the choreographed jets of flame punctuating I Want My Tears Back to the perfectly synced back projections playing throughout, but most effective during Alpenglow. They’re musically flawless, Floor Jansen sounding several million dollars, and everyone else superbly building the platform for her to strut her vocal mastery. There’s even a dose of wit, the band’s resident Brit Troy Donockley announcing My Walden with the line “Forgive me, but I’ve wanted to say this since I was nine years old: GOOD EVENING, WEMBLEY!”

http://files.teamrock.com/images/696d616765-56b1e5c8a9a8f0.01535549/1280x851.jpg

Nightwish give Rammstein a run for their money on the pyro front (Photo by Kevin Nixon)

But it’s the emotional punch Nightwish carry that makes tonight special, that unites thousands of people into one cohesive crowd, that makes grown men cry during a heartbreaking The Poet & The Pendulum, and makes everyone grin cheesily for Last Ride Of The Day. There is an unselfconscious injection of passion that doesn’t give two shits about potentially looking ridiculous or revealing too much of themselves, and it’s what creates the kind of atmosphere that could vanish in a venue this vast, but tonight is sustained with ease from beginning to end.

http://files.teamrock.com/images/696d616765-56b1e6585cea98.37079715/1280x851.jpg

Tuomas and Floor: the keys to success (Photo by Kevin Nixon)

And what an end it is at that. It takes balls of solid rock to try and write a 24-minute-long symphonic paean to humanism, empiricism and the glory of evolution, but to finish your show on it takes a special kind of gonad. Tonight, with Professor Richard Dawkins himself joining them on stage for the closing narration, Nightwish earn the right to play The Greatest Show On Earth.

Whether it is the couple clutching each other in mutual bliss, or the drunk bloke dancing on his own without inhibition, the lady in the Black Sabbath shirt singing like no one is watching during Nemo, or the awestruck-looking child quite probably at their first gig, the scenes around Wembley are not what a casual observer might expect. This does not look like a band making their first splash in a UK arena. This looks like a band that was born to be here, and has spent 15 years making sure that, when they get here, they are so ready that they are not ashamed to stand amongst the mighty company they now walk with.

Look at the crowd and not the stage, and you could be forgiven for mistaking this for an Iron Maiden show. From the numbers, the raw emotion on people’s faces and the fact that no one is bored after a two-hour set, and this could be Britain’s favourite metal sons. Look at the stage, see a world-famous scientist quoting Darwin in front of the drummer from Wintersun, and hear those songs, and it could only possibly be Nightwish proving they belong on the biggest of stages. Glorious.

FINAL VERDICT: 10/10

• Like 1

Unless there's any bad winter weather between here and London, Ontario Canada, my friend and I will be making the trip there to see them on the 22nd.

I really hope the set is the similar to the Wembley show. The set was great when I saw them last year but the one they did at Wembley is one of the best they've ever done.

• Like 1

Unless there's any bad winter weather between here and London, Ontario Canada, my friend and I will be making the trip there to see them on the 22nd.

I really hope the set is the similar to the Wembley show. The set was great when I saw them last year but the one they did at Wembley is one of the best they've ever done.

I hope so too! It's a big commitment, but that TGSOE in full was perfection.

I only just realised that Wishmaster was completely ignored!

But no complaints (although I had really hoped The Islander would be played...)

"My home is far but the rest it lies so close

With my long lost love under the black rose

You told I had the eyes of the wolf

Search them and find the beauty of the beast

All of my songs can only be composed of the greatest of pains

Every single verse can only be born of the greatest of wishes

I wish I had one more night to live"

How I would love to hear them do this song live with Floor at some point. I know it's not happening on this tour since they've already got a few longer songs they're performing each night. But hopefully one day it will get played again.

• Like 1

"My home is far but the rest it lies so close

With my long lost love under the black rose

You told I had the eyes of the wolf

Search them and find the beauty of the beast

All of my songs can only be composed of the greatest of pains

Every single verse can only be born of the greatest of wishes

I wish I had one more night to live"

How I would love to hear them do this song live with Floor at some point. I know it's not happening on this tour since they've already got a few longer songs they're performing each night. But hopefully one day it will get played again.

The bands most underrated epic. Seriously...

• Like 1

Second leg of the North American tour starts tonight.

I'll be seeing them on monday :7up:

Yay! I look forward to hearing about it!

Seeing them tonight :dweez: :yay: :nya nya:

EXCITED FOR YOU!

Any songs you are specifically hoping for?

EXCITED FOR YOU!

I'm hoping for The Poet And The Pendulum but it looks like it's been dropped for now.

Overall, I can't complain about their setlists for this tour. It's probably the best and most well balanced they've ever done. There's a lot of bands who don't put in that kind of effort to make sure most of their albums get represented in each set. I really appreciate that they're trying to do that on this tour.

• Like 1

EXCITED FOR YOU!

I'm hoping for The Poet And The Pendulum but it looks like it's been dropped for now.

Overall, I can't complain about their setlists for this tour. It's probably the best and most well balanced they've ever done. There's a lot of bands who don't put in that kind of effort to make sure most of their albums get represented in each set. I really appreciate that they're trying to do that on this tour.

Agreed...although Wembley never got a Wishmaster track. Sad times!

But otherwise I LOVE the set lists. So much more variety since Floor joined!

Just got back a little while ago from seeing them for the second time in a little less than a year. I can't really add much more than what people have been saying about them already on this tour. The band is just on fire and are such a cohesive unit live. They've never sounded or played better and Floor is the greatest addition the band has ever made. The crowd was awesome and into the whole thing. Nightwish fans are amazing wherever you see them. They love all the songs and sing at the top of their voices.

The set had a few different tunes in it then when I saw them last year which is always appreciated. One was a slight surprise since they have done it with Floor before but not that regularly on this tour. The other one I don't think has been done at all on this current tour.

Shudder Before the Beautiful

Yours Is an Empty Hope

Bless The Child :o :ebert:

Storytime

My Walden

While Your Lips Are Still Red

Élan

Weak Fantasy

7 Days to the Wolves

Romanticide :haz:

I Want My Tears Back

Nemo

Stargazers

Ghost Love Score

Last Ride of the Day

The Greatest Show on Earth

I know we're probably at least three years away from a new album but I can't wait to see them again. They have now become one of those bands that I will try and see when they come here or anywhere within reasonable driving distance. Now that Rush is done touring, I think Nightwish has now taken over as the must see band for me whenever they tour.

Just got back a little while ago from seeing them for the second time in a little less than a year. I can't really add much more than what people have been saying about them already on this tour. The band is just on fire and are such a cohesive unit live. They've never sounded or played better and Floor is the greatest addition the band has ever made. The crowd was awesome and into the whole thing. Nightwish fans are amazing wherever you see them. They love all the songs and sing at the top of their voices.

The set had a few different tunes in it then when I saw them last year which is always appreciated. One was a slight surprise since they have done it with Floor before but not that regularly on this tour. The other one I don't think has been done at all on this current tour.

Shudder Before the Beautiful

Yours Is an Empty Hope

Bless The Child :o :ebert:

Storytime

My Walden

While Your Lips Are Still Red

Élan

Weak Fantasy

7 Days to the Wolves

Romanticide :haz:

I Want My Tears Back

Nemo

Stargazers

Ghost Love Score

Last Ride of the Day

The Greatest Show on Earth

I know we're probably at least three years away from a new album but I can't wait to see them again. They have now become one of those bands that I will try and see when they come here or anywhere within reasonable driving distance. Now that Rush is done touring, I think Nightwish has now taken over as the must see band for me whenever they tour.

BLESS THE CHILD?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Jealous!!!

Annnnd...was that the whole of Greatest Show or a part of it?

And I love Nightwish fans. The real ones, not the "Tarja" fans. They feed the band energy!

Nightwish are by far the greatest they have ever been. I spent years avoiding them during the Anette years, but Floor was just an instant attraction.

So glad you have seen them twice this past year!

While Your Lips Are Still Red has been my highlight of this entire tour. I celebrate them for bringing out this obscure classic.

Just wis the same had happened for The Escapist...

I am totally blown away! 28 pages on a bland I mean band that is absolutely useless to my ears and brain.

Oh and I have wasted some good hard earned money on several of their albums.

One of the worst band in the universe.

I would rather listen to WHAM.

I am totally blown away! 28 pages on a bland I mean band that is absolutely useless to my ears and brain.

Oh and I have wasted some good hard earned money on several of their albums.

One of the worst band in the universe.

I would rather listen to WHAM.

Sometimes I love you. Other times I want to pulverise you by driving a truck off a cliff onto your face.

I mean this lovingly.

Now have a good day.