Nightwish

physics23

Saw them the opening night in NYC. First time I had ever seen them live. Very good show. I had not even gotten a chance to purchase the new album prior to the show so I was getting the new songs live without hearing them at all prior to the show. Very impressed by the new work.

Floor had mentioned on Nightwish's website that Thomas had really challenged her when writing the new album. She said something like "He had me singing all over. High, low, fast, slow, soft, hard. It was a real challenge." Well it showed, but man she can do it. The vocals on the album and live are amazing. With one exception - Sleeping Sun. Love the song but Floor can't match Tarja on that one (but hey, match Tarja? - how any can, esp. on a consistent basis is a good question).

As has been said, Floor has a great stage presence but I don't find or the group to be great at working the crowd. Then again, my favorite group (Rush obviously) does not work the crowd like say, Judas Priest and I love Rush live. So no big issue. Just commenting.

Was thrilled they did The Islander. Not thrilled they did the song off Oceanborn. It is by far my least favorite Nightwish album. Have since listened to the new album and very impressed. Last album I liked more was Once.

Will also mention the opening acts. Delain was decent. I have heared some of their work but don't own any albums by them.

The other opening act was a Swedish group named Sabaton. Never even heared of them prior to the show. They were to heavy for me to want to purchase any of their work but OMG - they kicked A*S!!!!! The entire place was chanting their name at the end of their set!!! GREAT live performance. I may get flamed for this but IMO, a better live performance than Nightwish!!!

Sort of like comparing Judas Priest to Rush. Like Priest (a lot), love Rush. But Priest works the crowd better than Rush.

One last word, bring you ear plugs. So glad I did. This was a f'ing LOUD concert. My ears are STILL messed up. And I had earplugs.

• Like 1

Saw them the opening night in NYC. First time I had ever seen them live. Very good show. I had not even gotten a chance to purchase the new album prior to the show so I was getting the new songs live without hearing them at all prior to the show. Very impressed by the new work.

Floor had mentioned on Nightwish's website that Thomas had really challenged her when writing the new album. She said something like "He had me singing all over. High, low, fast, slow, soft, hard. It was a real challenge." Well it showed, but man she can do it. The vocals on the album and live are amazing. With one exception - Sleeping Sun. Love the song but Floor can't match Tarja on that one (but hey, match Tarja? - how any can, esp. on a consistent basis is a good question).

As has been said, Floor has a great stage presence but I don't find or the group to be great at working the crowd. Then again, my favorite group (Rush obviously) does not work the crowd like say, Judas Priest and I love Rush live. So no big issue. Just commenting.

Was thrilled they did The Islander. Not thrilled they did the song off Oceanborn. It is by far my least favorite Nightwish album. Have since listened to the new album and very impressed. Last album I liked more was Once.

Will also mention the opening acts. Delain was decent. I have heared some of their work but don't own any albums by them.

The other opening act was a Swedish group named Sabaton. Never even heared of them prior to the show. They were to heavy for me to want to purchase any of their work but OMG - they kicked A*S!!!!! The entire place was chanting their name at the end of their set!!! GREAT live performance. I may get flamed for this but IMO, a better live performance than Nightwish!!!

Sort of like comparing Judas Priest to Rush. Like Priest (a lot), love Rush. But Priest works the crowd better than Rush.

One last word, bring you ear plugs. So glad I did. This was a f'ing LOUD concert. My ears are STILL messed up. And I had earplugs.

Sabatons latest album Heroes is very powerful and melodic, give it a go!

I think Floor can match Tarja on Sleeping Sun. The problem is, they gave it a bit of a different arrangement live. They played it slower and Floor sang it in her softer voice instead. She did it similar to how she sings Our Decades In The Sun off the new album. If they allowed Floor to sing it at her highest range like Tarja, there's no doubt Floor could match what Tarja did on that song.

Yeah, there's no doubt Tuomas challenged Floor to sing in many different ranges. If you listen to what she did on the last album with her band Revamp and then listen to the new Nightwish, you can easily forget right away that this is the same person singing for both of these bands. It's a credit to Tuomas for challenging Floor to sing at ranges she doesn't normally do. But it is also a bigger credit to Floor because she is able to pull off wonderfully anything that is asked to do vocally.

I don't know how it's possible for one person to have the vocal versatility Floor does. She is truley blessed with a talent not too many vocalists have.

I just got home from seeing Nightwish in San Francisco. It was the first time I've seen them and they put on a great show. Floor is an excellent frontwoman. She's got a real stage presence and that's only increased by the fact that she is at least six feet tall and has a fan blowing her hair back while onstage. I just wish they played more from Imaginaerum. A++, would see again.

I had never heard Sabaton before tonight but I loved them. They were fun and even made fun of themselves for all wearing matching camo pants. I need to get some of their music.

Caught a couple songs from Delain who were okay. The singer was fun, and like some other poster mentioned she also had a good stage presence.

• Like 2

I just got home from seeing Nightwish in San Francisco. It was the first time I've seen them and they put on a great show. Floor is an excellent frontwoman. She's got a real stage presence and that's only increased by the fact that she is at least six feet tall and has a fan blowing her hair back while onstage. I just wish they played more from Imaginaerum. A++, would see again.

I had never heard Sabaton before tonight but I loved them. They were fun and even made fun of themselves for all wearing matching camo pants. I need to get some of their music.

Caught a couple songs from Delain who were okay. The singer was fun, and like some other poster mentioned she also had a good stage presence.

I FINALLY SEE THEM IN DECEMBER! Sadly, no Sabaton for me.

Check out the recent album Heroes, excellent stuff!

As for Delain, I find them very mediocre.

I am properly excited to see Floor, she is an outstanding frontwoman and her image is perhaps the most iconic of the band so far. Give her a couple mre years and I doubt many fans will miss Tarja (yes, many diehard "fans" still haven't got over her exit yet, boo hoo). Glad you loved the show! What do you think of the new album?

• Like 1

There hasn't been one bad review of this tour so far. I forgot to mention in my review how Floor has a fan in front of her mic stand that is constantly blowing her hair. It is such a cool effect that makes her look like a mythological goddess. They made a change in the set last week, IWMTB was replaced by Alpenglow and i'm completely fine with that. Floor is in the band now, so they should be playing as many songs as possible from the new album.
  • Like 2

There hasn't been one bad review of this tour so far. I forgot to mention in my review how Floor has a fan in front of her mic stand that is constantly blowing her hair. It is such a cool effect that makes her look like a mythological goddess. They made a change in the set last week, IWMTB was replaced by Alpenglow and i'm completely fine with that. Floor is in the band now, so they should be playing as many songs as possible from the new album.

Agreed! I just love Alpenglow.

• Like 1

I am properly excited to see Floor, she is an outstanding frontwoman and her image is perhaps the most iconic of the band so far. Give her a couple mre years and I doubt many fans will miss Tarja (yes, many diehard "fans" still haven't got over her exit yet, boo hoo). Glad you loved the show! What do you think of the new album?

It took a few listens for me to get into the new album but now I think it's great. It's funny, listening to it at home the songs don't sound that metal-y, but live they sure do! (Heh, not only was their a pit during the show, the Pit People made a point of moshing to a very slow song!) I slightly prefer Annette's voice but Floor is fantastic in her own right.

I got into Nightwish with the Imaginaerum album (I had never heard of the band prior to that) and loved it. DPP is also good, but when I tried to listen to the Tarja-era stuff I didn't like it. I just do not like those operatic vocals at all, so I'm very glad the band has done away with them.

I was sad to see IWMTB leave the setlist but Alpenglow was a great substitute. If only they had played Ghost River then I would have been in heaven!

It took a few listens for me to get into the new album but now I think it's great. It's funny, listening to it at home the songs don't sound that metal-y, but live they sure do! (Heh, not only was their a pit during the show, the Pit People made a point of moshing to a very slow song!) I slightly prefer Annette's voice but Floor is fantastic in her own right.

I got into Nightwish with the Imaginaerum album (I had never heard of the band prior to that) and loved it. DPP is also good, but when I tried to listen to the Tarja-era stuff I didn't like it. I just do not like those operatic vocals at all, so I'm very glad the band has done away with them.

I wish there were more strong Anette-era fans like us. The poor woman had a rough ride with fans. I like Floor, I have no complaints at all!

• Like 1

Yes, they were very funny. Their music is so over the top, but they still poke alot of fun at themselves...

I was sad to see IWMTB leave the setlist but Alpenglow was a great substitute. If only they had played Ghost River then I would have been in heaven!

I saw them on the Imaginaerum tour about a week before Annette was let go and Ghost River was awesome live. Marco sings the chorus in such a unique way, I always find it fun to sing along to. On that tour they did Ghost River and Planet Hell back to back :notworthy:

• Like 1

Oh, I forgot to mention just how into the music Tuomas was! He was bouncing around, headbanging, and (even though he didn't have a mic) singing along with all of them. He was so enthusiastic and so much much to watch! (Plus he is, uh, quite easy on the eyes :coy: )

Oh, I forgot to mention just how into the music Tuomas was! He was bouncing around, headbanging, and (even though he didn't have a mic) singing along with all of them. He was so enthusiastic and so much much to watch! (Plus he is, uh, quite easy on the eyes :coy: )

I am starting to think this is the best Nightwish lineup ever. Never have they come across so comfortably on fire as they have recently before! Tarja was a frustrating live presence, she always seemed to use the stage as if her fellow band members were backing musicians. Anette, bless her cotton socks, was utterly adorable, but never really quite on the same page as the other guys (in the sstudio is a different matter). Floor? Yeah...she is the best fit for this band. No woman in rock or metal alive today comes close to matching Nightwish's vision as perfectly as Floor. I do wish she would use her operatic voice more on older songs, I am sorry t say that her version of Ever Dream falls flat on my ears in comparison to the original.

Tuomas is always like that live. I've seen them four times and the passion he has for the songs he writes is second to none. You can really tell how much the songs mean to him while he's playing. I sometimes wonder if he has accidentally ever hit his head on his keyboards when he's headbanging? There are some songs he really goes off on with that. At my show during the heavier parts of Weak Fantasy, he was really going to town with the headbanging. Another thing I noticed is at the end of every show, he puts his hands together like someone would if they were praying. He holds them up to his face and looks down to his keyboards and then looks at the crowd before he leaves the stage. Playing live is just as much of an emotional effort for him as it is a physical one. He's probably the most emotionally invested live performer i've ever seen. There are times he just closes his eyes while playing and he sings along to the songs. The songs seem to send him into a state of mind I haven't seen in anyone else live.

As for his look, I always felt he had a Count Dracula vibe going for him :LOL:

• Like 1

Tuomas is always like that live. I've seen them four times and the passion he has for the songs he writes is second to none. You can really tell how much the songs mean to him while he's playing. I sometimes wonder if he has accidentally ever hit his head on his keyboards when he's headbanging? There are some songs he really goes off on with that. At my show during the heavier parts of Weak Fantasy, he was really going to town with the headbanging. Another thing I noticed is at the end of every show, he puts his hands together like someone would if they were praying. He holds them up to his face and looks down to his keyboards and then looks at the crowd before he leaves the stage. Playing live is just as much of an emotional effort for him as it is a physical one. He's probably the most emotionally invested live performer i've ever seen. There are times he just closes his eyes while playing and he sings along to the songs. The songs seem to send him into a state of mind I haven't seen in anyone else live.

I love Tuomas. I am more excited to see him upclose than I am Floor. He is one of my heroes!

• Like 1

I love Tuomas. I am more excited to see him upclose than I am Floor. He is one of my heroes!

He's definitely towards the top of the list of musicians I revere the most. He was born on Christmas day, so it's only fitting he turned out to be someone special.

He's definitely towards the top of the list of musicians I revere the most. He was born on Christmas day, so it's only fitting he turned out to be someone special.

Lately Nightwish have been spun more than any other band (aside from King's X), and considering my love for them has been a gradual build up after ten years, and I am still finding new depths, I think it fair to say that they are in the top tier of my favourite bands. Currently, higher than Springsteen, lower than Lacuna Coil (although I accept Nightwish are the more talented and ambitious of the two).

Segue, is this the first time you'll be seeing Nightwish?

Yes. I am sad I missed Anette (I told myself I would see her next time around), but in some ways I am happier with Floor being my first!

Yes. I am sad I missed Anette (I told myself I would see her next time around), but in some ways I am happier with Floor being my first!

The other three times I saw them were with Annette. Twice on the DPP tour and once on the Imaginaerum tour.

Here's the setlist from my first Nightwish show in 2007:

Bye Bye Beautiful

Cadence Of Her Last Breath

Dark Chest Of Wonders

Ever Dream

Amaranth

The Islander

The Poet And The Pendulum

She Is My Sin

Sahara

Whoever Brings The Night

Sleeping Sun

Slaying The Dreamer

Nemo

encore:

Eva

Wishmaster

Wish I Had An Angel

This still remains the most special night in my 11 years as a fan of theirs.

• Like 1

The other three times I saw them were with Annette. Twice on the DPP tour and once on the Imaginaerum tour.

Here's the setlist from my first Nightwish show in 2007:

Bye Bye Beautiful

Cadence Of Her Last Breath

Dark Chest Of Wonders

Ever Dream

Amaranth

The Islander

The Poet And The Pendulum

She Is My Sin

Sahara

Whoever Brings The Night

Sleeping Sun

Slaying The Dreamer

Nemo

encore:

Eva

Wishmaster

Wish I Had An Angel

This still remains the most special night in my 11 years as a fan of theirs.

I am a ten year long fan! I absolutely adore Cadence Of Her Last Breath. Underrated gem! I really wish I had seen them then. I remember the fan backlash, but I also remember the new fans who finally enjoyed them with the new singer!

I played Made In Hong Kong yesterday, and today played live videos from the Anette era, and I find her live presence vastly underrated. I hunted down her earlier work with the AOR group as well, and in all honesty, her voice gre exponentially with Nightwish, and I find her tone magic.

I like Floor a lot, a real lot, but much of EFMB sounds to me like stuff Anette would have shined with. Miss her, I really do (but I wouldn't trade Floor for anybody, she has brought a lot of life to the band).

Edited by Segue Myles