Nightwish

physics23

The one thing that really stands out to me in the new GLS video is how dead 85,000 people in a open field can seem compared to maybe 4,500 in an intimate theater (reference to the Buenos Aires vid).

Well, the DVD was shot at Wacken Open Air so not all of the 85,000 people are there for Nightwish. I understand what you mean though regarding this clip vs. the Buenos Aires one. They could've released the Buenos Aires show in its entirety and it still would've made a fantastic DVD as all of these live videos are directed by the same person. I wonder if footage from other shows will surface in the tour documentary.

Edited by PolarizeMe

I think the next album will be absolutely killer stuff...

But I still think it will be tough to beat the songwriting of the last two albums. I am in the minority:I prefer Annette to both Tarja and Floor. Something about her studio work affects me deeply.

As for live performances: FLOOR ALL THE WAY! I do expect to be blown away by her for the next album, but I will miss the sweet naivety that was Annettes trademark on songs like For The Heart I Once Had, Eva, Meadows Of Heaven, The Birdie Song and Storytime. It was a precious voice, it had a character that outshone all her weaknesses!

• Like 1

I love the fact there are other Nightwish fans on this forum. They need more love!
  • Like 1

Nightwish has announced their North American 2015 tour dates!!!

04/09/15 Hammerstein Ballroom – New York, NY

04/10/15 Electric Factory – Philadelphia, PA

04/11/15 Palladium – Worcester, MA

04/13/15 Capitole Theatre – Quebec City, QC – CANADA

04/14/15 Phoenix Concert Theater – Toronto, ON – CANADA

04/16/15 Town Ballroom – Buffalo, NY

04/17/15 Agora Theatre – Cleveland, OH

04/18/15 Concorde Music Hall – Chicago, IL

04/19/15 Val Air Ballroom – Des Moines, IA

04/21/15 Ogden Theatre – Denver, CO

04/22/15 In The Venue – Salt Lake City, UT

04/24/15 Knitting Factory – Spokane, WA

04/25/15 Orpheum Theatre – Vancouver, B.C. – CANADA

04/26/15 Crystal Ballroom – Portland, OR

04/28/15 Warfield Theatre – San Francisco, CA

04/30/15 House Of Blues – Las Vegas, NV

05/01/15 Greek Theatre – Los Angeles, CA

05/02/15 Marquee Theatre – Phoenix, AZ

05/03/15 Tricky Falls – El Paso, TX

05/05/15 Bomb Factory – Dallas, TX

05/06/15 Warehouse Live – Houston, TX

05/08/15 House of Blues – Orlando, FL

05/09/15 Revolution – Fort Lauderdale, FL

05/11/15 Marathon Music Work – Nashville, TN

05/12/15 Expo Five – Louisville, KY

05/13/15 Filmore – Charlotte, NC

05/14/15 Filmore – Silver Springs, MD

http://www.nightwish.com/en/news

I can't believe they're actually gonna be playing Buffalo for the first time ever!! I will finally get to see them in my hometown and not have to go up to Canada as my only option like the three other times I saw them. That doesn't mean I might not try to go to the Toronto show still but it's great that they're playing here.

Can't wait for the new album. Floor is gonna make this band even more amazing.

Playing Nightwish- Imaginaerum right now. Based on this album and Dark Passion Play alone, they are one of my favourite bands!

What breathtaking music they create...

...I envy all who have seen them live, whatever lineup!

I'm sort of "new" to Nightwish.

Had a copy of Highest Hopes that my sister made for me for a few years, but it's not a great copy, the CD has a tendancy to jump.

However, I have been recently - and finally! - been getting into them!

The other day I listened to Imaginaerum on Youtube, which I liked very much!

I have bought Once which I started but haven't heard all the way through...

Had a copy of Highest Hopes that my sister made for me for a few years, but it's not a great copy, the CD has a tendancy to jump.

I think they are inconsistent, but I am in the minority amongst NW fans: I love Dark Passion Play and Imaginaerum, but dislike Oceanborn immensely.

My advice to you:

Early Nightwish:

Wishmaster

Mid-era:

Century Child

Recent Nightwish:

Dark Passion Play

For my money, these three albums are superior to both Oceanborn and Once. You have heard Imaginaerum, so I think that should be a continued listen. Fantastic album!

But overall, my favourite album is Dark Passion Play. It continued the style of Once but did it better (and I prefer Anette to Tarja, odd I know!).

Century Child is my favorite album of theirs. Except for their first album, Angel's Fall First, everything else from them is great. I always thought they really weren't Nightwish yet on the first album. Oceanborn is where the band came to life. You can't go wrong with anything they've released since Oceanborn. Yeah, they've switched singers a few times but Tuomas' songwriting is so great that he can put any capable female singer in the band and they would still be awesome. That was proven on the two albums with Annette on vocals. She's not the best singer but the material is so strong it didn't matter. That's why i'm so excited for the new album with Floor on vocals. She's easily a much better singer than Tarja or Annette. Tuomas probably wrote some amazing songs that will cater to Floor's versatile voice perfectly. Edited by J2112YYZ

Century Child is my favorite album of theirs. Except for their first album, Angel's Fall First, everything else from them is great. I always thought they really weren't Nightwish yet on the first album. Oceanborn is where the band came to life. You can't go wrong with anything they've released since Oceanborn. Yeah, they've switched singers a few times but Tuomas' songwriting is so great that he can put any capable female singer in the band and they would still be awesome. That was proven on the two albums with Annette on vocals. She's not the best singer but the material is so strong it didn't matter. That's why i'm so excited for the new album with Floor on vocals. She's easily a much better singer than Tarja or Annette. Tuomas probably wrote some amazing songs that will cater to Floor's versatile voice perfectly.

I love Century Child! That and Dark Passion Play are my picks for the best of Tarja and Annette respectively, and my top two Nightwish albums!

Everything about CC gets top marks from me. I love Slaying The Dreamer especially, but I don't have one specific favourite.

I think they are inconsistent, but I am in the minority amongst NW fans: I love Dark Passion Play and Imaginaerum, but dislike Oceanborn immensely.

My advice to you:

Early Nightwish:

Wishmaster

Mid-era:

Century Child

Recent Nightwish:

Dark Passion Play

For my money, these three albums are superior to both Oceanborn and Once. You have heard Imaginaerum, so I think that should be a continued listen. Fantastic album!

But overall, my favourite album is Dark Passion Play. It continued the style of Once but did it better (and I prefer Anette to Tarja, odd I know!).

Okey doke! Thank you for the advice! :cheers:

I listened to Once today! I like it very much!

• Like 1

I know there is thread for their new album but with the tour starting in a few weeks, I figured I would bump this thread up. If anyone is seeing them on this tour, like me, you can post the review here. Plus, we can discuss everything Nightwish in this thread instead of just the new album which is phenomenal anyways.

I guess once a thread is created for a band, I like to keep everything in order and have it all in one spot.

My advice to you:

Early Nightwish:

Wishmaster

Mid-era:

Century Child

Recent Nightwish:

Dark Passion Play

Okey doke! Thank you for the advice! :cheers:

I listened to Once today! I like it very much!

Since my last post, I have reappraised Nightwish's discography. This is one of only two bands with a long history where I can safely say I love all that they have done!

My view on Endless Forms Most Beautiful is simple: If I can have just one more album to love as much as this in 2015, I shall be very happy indeed! (The Gentle Storm is very close, so maybe I already have).

So after about my 20th listen to the new album, I would probably rank it third on my Nightwish albums list. Nothing will ever top Century Child or Wishmaster for me but they've released a superb album here. My favorite songs are the title track, Weak Fantasy, Edema Ruh, Alpenglow and The Greatest Show On Earth. Not a bad song on this album, honestly. Elan was written to be a single and doesn't even sound like the rest of the album. Just look at the two songs it's placed between. It doesn't even really sound like the same band did Elan.

Floors vocals are great. She does an excellent job of showing her range without showing off. She does what she needs to do, when she needs to do it in each song and that makes her singing so much better than if she went all out on every track. Vocally, this is probably my favorite Nightwish album. I can't wait to see them live in a few weeks.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Its funny, I think this is another Njghtwish masterpiece, but The Gentle Storm burst out of nowhere and completely took its place.

I love EFMB, it hasn't gotten old. It is currently third on my list of Nightwish albums.

This is the third time in a row that Nightwish has released an album with better artwork in the booklet than on the cover.

I love how a Nightwish album is a whole package. The two-disc digibook comes with sublime inner art, a painting of the highest quality for each and every song, and each song gets a double page spread! Like The Gentle Storm, it appears that symphonic metal bands this year are going all out to provide the best bang for your buck. Seriously though, the front cover is very monochromatic, and the metallic sheen on the digibook lacks much definition. It looks great on vinyl, but awful on CD.

Still, I am glad I have not one single complaint regarding the album. It may not be my favourite Nightwish album, but it is by far one of the best albums of the last five years (as was Imaginaerum).

Ten years a fan of Nightwish.

AND I SEE THEM DECEMBER 19TH AT WEMBLEY ARENA

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

So, are you gonna go to the Wembley area show then, Segue? At least in Europe they play arenas and you get to see the full stage show. In North America they play places that only fit between one and two thousand so they have to strip things down because of the smaller places. I guess the perks of seeing them here is that the show is more intimate because of the smaller venues. Which I think fits the bands music better.
  • Like 1

So, are you gonna go to the Wembley area show then, Segue? At least in Europe they play arenas and you get to see the full stage show. In North America they play places that only fit between one and two thousand so they have to strip things down because of the smaller places. I guess the perks of seeing them here is that the show is more intimate because of the smaller venues. Which I think fits the bands music better.

Really? I always think of Nightwish as a band like Maiden, the bigger the better!

And yes, bought the tix as soon as I saw the announcement, sadly I have to be seated as I have a ongoing problem that is seeing me more and more in-able to walk or stand for long periods. But o well, at least I will see them the whole show!

Nightwish are one of my all time favourite bands (overall, most likely secong after Lacuna Coil, considering without realising it I have collected nearly everything over the years), and I have never been to an arena show, so I am very excited!

My current ranking of Nightwish's discography (studio albums only):

1. Dark Passion Play (10/10- since it was first released, it has been my favourite. They lost Tarja, but Tuomas Holopainen somehow became an even better songwriter.)

2. Century Child (10/10- Tarja-era classic. I adore her smooth vocals on this one, and the increased bombast. The darkness of the songs help to remove a lot of the cheesiness that made earlier albums such a hoot. But it does make this a melodic, emotionally satisfying journey. Something special went on with this one.)

3. Imaginaerum (10/10- Bonkers. Possibly the craziest album I have ever heard and enjoyed at the same time. I love Song For Myself, with the long poem. So very victorian in ints approach. This entire album is an absolute masterpiece.)

4. Endless Forms Most Beautiful (9.5/10- I think this album is phenomenal. I think a little too much self-plagiarism is going on here, but for the most part, it works splendidly. I love that this album is more soulful, less bomastic than Imaginaerum, and in many ways this album feels like the sequel to Century Child. The folk influences I so enjoyed on previous albums is really evident on this one, and it is all the better for it as well!)

5. Wishmaster (8/10- the band went all euro-pop/power metal on this one, with Tarja's best singing to date (yes, I enjoy her melancholic work on Century Child more, but this better shows off her range). She Is My Sin is my favourite.)

6. Oceanborn (8/10- the most operatic of all the bands albums, for the longest time I disliked this one. Passion Of The Opera, Sleeping Sun, Stargazers and Swanheart won me over, and now I enjoy the entire album from start to finish)

7. Angels Fall First (8/10- the bands debut album, and perhaps in many ways most ambitious, it is hard to fathom how such a new approach to metal could have emerged so distinct, so fully formed as on this. They bettered themselves on future releases, but that does not take away from the wonderful qualities of this gem. One of my favourite debut albums.)

8. Once (7/10- Many casual fans start here. I have never been that into this one. I find some of the songs jarring, and although she sounds great, Tarja's vocals often really clash with the bands style on this one. I Wish I Had An Angel is my least favourite Nightwish song, but in all honesty, little of this album ranks amongst my favourite material, aside from The Siren, Nemo and the gorgeous Ghst Love Score.)