Your top 5 Beatles albums

Presto-digitation

A Hard Day's Night - Pure pop energy. And the first clear sign that they were progressing. The very simplistic lyrics of "I Should Have Know Better" on the same album as the maturing lyrics of "I'll Be Back". They're growing up.

Rubber Soul - I think it's a deceptively good album. Whenever I think about the songs on this album I think it's overrated. Then I listen to it. Nope, not overrated. Also, to me it sounds like the last album they had fun recording. They still weren't taking themselves too seriously.

Revolver - How many years prior did they write "Love Me Do"? Turn off you mind, relax...

Magical Mystery Tour - Yeah, it's an EP with some singles thrown on to pad it out, but it's as coherent as any proper album. If only "Strawberry Fields Forever" and "Penny Lane" were on Sgt. Pepper's as originally intended...

The Beatles - A brilliant hodgepodge of popular music. All the odds and ends and throwaways give it its lasting appeal. It's a dark album. It's an isolated album. It's a goofy album. It takes itself too seriously at the same time taking itself too lightly. I loved it when I was ten years old and I love it now.

Edited by ReRushed

My second attempt, I deleted the first tab accidentally, coz I'm an idiot.

A Hard Day's Night - full of originals, not a dud in sight, from high octance pop to more mature work like And I Love Her & If I Fell. Things We Said Today, a real signpost for what was to come. And, of course, the greatest opening chord of all time

Help! - Another seismic leap in songwriting, You've Got To Hide Your Love Away, Ticket To Ride, Yesterday & the title track, a very varied album. Nearly went with Beatles For Sale. It's so downbeat, but it shines. Help!, by a nose.

Rubber Soul - Musically, their most adventurous to date, with nods to The Beach Boys, Dylan & The Byrds. The introspective moments are the ones that really stand out, In My Life, Nowhere Man & Norwegian Wood. They also recorded We Can Work it Out(pound for pound my favourite Beatles track) & Day Tripper around the same time. Staggering.

Revolver - It's all been said before, there's nothing more to add.

Abbey Road - Yes, it contains Maxwell's Silver Hammer, yes, it contains Octopus' Garden....but...it also contains 16 minutes of the finest music ever created. The 16 minute medley sandwiched between Because & Her Majesty is mindblowing. Never equalled, never bettered.

Thanks PD, I'm off to dig out the remasters!

1) Abbey Road---Best side(2) of music ever recorded.

2) Sgt.Peppers---Classic psychedelic.Best and 1st concept LP ever recorded.

3) Revolver---The times they were a'changin!!

4) Rubber Soul---Excellent/brilliant songwriting/lyrics.

5) Help!---This was the LP where their own sound/songwriting

kicked into gear.

Those are my top 5.

Edited by go2wrk@95974

The Beatles ("the white album"): This is my all time favorite studio album by any artist. From a 50s homage to a 20s homage, I doubt there is a more elcectic album out there. Also, this album firmly established that George, at his best, could hold his own with John and Paul.

Abbey Road: The most pure rock album The Beatles released. Its almost the opposite of the white album in terms of variety, but every track is so strong, it doesn't matter.

Sgt. Pepper: Yes it's sometimes called an album of showtunes. But as with the white album, an album that can pull off Within You and Without You and When I'm Sixty Four is impressive.

Magical Mystery Tour: How many bands can throw together songs to flesh out an EP as strong as MMT's side two?

Revolver: The first album to really showcase how much was really going on with these guys musically.

Abbey Road - One of the greatest albums ever. Side 2 is classic, and there are no weak points. The Moog is awesome. biggrin.gif

Magical Mystery Tour - Even though its an EP, its still excellent. Strawberry Fields and I Am The Walrus are my favorites.

Sgt. Pepper - Epic concept album. What else needs to be said?

Rubber Soul - Norwegian Wood and In My Life are 2 of my favorites. They may be overplayed, but that doesn't mean they're not good.

The White Album - Even though there are a few tracks that I'd consider filler, there are so many great songs. While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Helter Skelter, Glass Onion, Revolution 1, Birthday...Classic songs.

Help!

Rubber Soul

Revolver (If I could listen to only one Batles album, this would be the one)

The White Album

Abbey Road

Hon. mention:

A Hard Day's Night

Magical Mystery Tour

Sgt. Peppers

Let It Be (yeah they were very much at odds, but this still brilliant......like the "Naked" version better on most of the tunes)

1. Sgt. Peppers - what can I say that hasn't already been said a million times? The most important rock record of all time - genius!

2. Abbey Road - what an amazing final statement from the most important rock band of all time - the ones that changed everything!

3. The White Album - would rate higher if not for a handful of weaker tracks, but mostly a brilliant everything and the kitchen sink amalgam of 500 different styles. Love it!

4. Let It Be - even with the added post-production, this album is brilliant start to finish.

5. Magical Mystery Tour - step right this way! Damn fine psychedelic brilliance.

Honorable Mention:

The Beatles side of Yellow Submarine - some of the finest psychedelic tracks of all time.

Greatly Overrated:

Revolver - yes, great album, but inconsistent and wildly overrated.

Rubber Soul - a little of the old, a little of the new. In My Life - fave song of all time.

Abbey Road - Here Comes the Sun pure brilliance.

White Album - Love Glass Onion, Dear Prudence, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, and Blackbird might be Paul's best work.

Magical Mystery Tour - Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane are amazing.

Please Please Me - Got to have some old school in there.

My five are pretty obvious:

Ancient Ways - I'm a Dancing Fool, Twist my Dick off and hear me shout!!!

Ancient Ways - My Ass is Gold, Rub One Off on Me!

Ancient Ways - I'm the Fifth, Sixth, Seventh and Eighth Beatle

Ancient Ways - All you Need is me, na na na na na, All you need is tea, ha ha ha ha ha!

Ancient Ways - I Went Back to 1965 and Changed History, Now I AM the Beatles!!

and also

Ancient Ways - With a Little Yelp from my Girlfriends

Ancient Ways - Filling her hole!

Ancient Ways - Wax Man (in my ear)

Ancient Ways - Tamara Never Blows

Ancient Ways - Sgt Crapper's Moan-ly Farts Rub Hand

Ancient Ways - I've Got Norwegian Wood

laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 12 2011, 10:24 PM)

Ancient Ways - All you Need is me, na na na na na, All you need is tea, ha ha ha ha ha!

and also

laugh.gif

Nice. I have seen some wood-worthy Norwegians.

BIG QUESTION is: Are the Beatles metal?

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 12 2011, 09:37 PM)

and also

laugh.gif

Of course!!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 12 2011, 10:45 PM)

and also

laugh.gif

Of course!!

Next question: Isn't it a bit late for you to be up?

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 12 2011, 10:02 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 12 2011, 10:45 PM)

and also

laugh.gif

Of course!!

Next question: Isn't it a bit late for you to be up?

Oh I'm always up late watching pointless football games featuring the Raiders...

laugh.gif

Revolver - Their absolute peak and simply brilliant from start to finish, very experimental yet accessible at the same time. They were still getting along and working well together as a group, contributing ideas and sounds to each others songs. Nice balance between some outside intrumentation while still maintaining their trademark sound of a four piece band of two guitars, bass and drums for a lot of it.

Rubber Soul - Perfect representation of the year of folk rock with acoustic guitars being more pervasive as well as having a mellower, more reflective feel (the U.S. version even moreso with the inclusion of "I've Just Seen A Face" and "It's Only Love") along with their first stabs at social commentary in the lyrics. A more mature and sophisticated version of the traditional Beatles sound, softened and mellowed by the folky winds that had been blowin throughout 1965. A shame that "Day Tripper" and "We Can Work It Out" were left off though.

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - Thouroughly deserving of its reputation as one of the greatest and most important rock albums of all time. Had "Strawberry Fields" and "Penny Lane" taken the slots of "When I'm 64", "Lovely Rita" and "Good Morning" it would be even better. "Fixing A Hole", "She's Leaving Home" and "Mr Kite" are just fantastic.

A Hard Day's Night - The early Beatles at their finest with the title track, "I'll Be Back", "Things We Said Today" and "And I Love Her" being some of their best songs bar none. Thankfully no covers.

Meet The Beatles! - Eleven original compositions and one excellent cover ("Til There Was You"). This explodes with an unbeatable combination of energy and enthusiasm that's just contagious. Their vocal sound and harmonies are simply awesome.

I've added some of The Beatles Remasters to my iPod based on recommendations here. I've not listened to any of those albums for the best part of 35 years (my dad was a fan) time for a re-appraisal.

Abbey Rd

The Beatles (White Album)

Magical Mystery Tour

Revolver

Rubber Soul

Sgt Peppers

Better be good...

QUOTE (Tony R @ Sep 13 2011, 12:33 PM)
I've added some of The Beatles Remasters to my iPod based on recommendations here. I've not listened to any of those albums for the best part of 35 years (my dad was a fan) time for a re-appraisal.
Abbey Rd
Magical Mystery Tour
Revolver
Rubber Soul
Sgt Peppers

Better be good...

Your dad?? Come off it you're the dad in question!! You probably bought all the Beatles albums when they came out as a twenty-something teddy boy throwback!! We all know the "R" in Tony R stands for Ringo!

laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 13 2011, 07:34 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Sep 13 2011, 12:33 PM)
Abbey Rd
Magical Mystery Tour
Revolver
Rubber Soul
Sgt Peppers

Better be good...

Your dad?? Come off it you're the dad in question!! You probably bought all the Beatles albums when they came out as a twenty-something teddy boy throwback!! We all know the "R" in Tony R stands for Ringo!

laugh.gif

That's ageism young Sapling.

Sgt. Pepper is the album by which ALL albums are gauged by. It is the definitive album by the most influential artist in history. I have been listening to this album since I could listen to records. I was born during it's recording (actually my birthday was their first day off for the holiday break). I used to listen to this album at my grandparents' house on headphones. It was an original Capitol pressing. Sgt. Pepper was the most innovative record of it's time, despite overcoming the limitations of four track recording available at Abbey Road Studios at the time (EMI didn't want to spring for the 8 track machine, and when they did they wouldn't pay for the power supply). More time was spent recording Sgt. Pepper than any other recording to that time, 500 plus hours; 10x the time spent on the Beatles' first album. Headphones is still the best way to listen to this album.

A Hard Day's Night (Parlophone, not Capitol) was this first Beatle album with all original compositions and no covers. The Capitol release in America included orchestrated version of the movie songs that were included in the film where the Parlophone English release was all Beatle recordings (Capitol released all Beatle albums until Sgt.Pepper with fewer songs on them, generally 12 instead of 14 then compiled the remainder with single releases for American releases such as Yesterday & Today and Beatles VI, etc.). It is the first Beatle album to feature George's new Rickenbacker 360-12 12 string guitar. Great rock and roll record.

Revolver is to Sgt. Pepper for the Beatles as Permanent Waves is to Moving Pictures for Rush. It is the precursor to a new direction. This was a catalyst in many ways for Sgt. Pepper (as was Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys). Revolver is the last album for which the Beatles toured. It is when the Beatles went from being ritual dance music to music to be listened to. It also includes the first forays into psychedelia with Tomorrow Never Knows and the "Dental Incident" inspired Dr. Robert documenting John and George's first LSD encounter. This is also the record where heavy compression worked its way into the production process.

Please Please Me is the Beatles first album recorded in just around 55 hours over four days (2 in November 62 and 2 in February 63). It is pretty much a live performance with some overdubbed vocals. You can really hear the room of Abbey Road Studio 2 on this record. When John died I got my first copy of this album and again gave it the headphone treatment. It captures the Beatles at the height of their performing era. One of the greatest records of all time.

One of my favorite Beatle "albums" as a boy was an American compilation called "The Beatles Again" but also known as "Hey Jude" because of the song's inclusion. Because of that I will include the Past Masters as my fifth entry. It covers the entire Beatles career and made up of all non album releases (with the exception of Magical Mystery Tour which was released in America as the album stands today but was in fact an EP featuring the tracks that are "side 1" on the album release. Side 2 is single releases from the same time). Songs like George's Old Brown Shoe and the George guitar solo version of Let It Be are part of Past Masters. Not so much of a cohesive album as a collection of good songs.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Sep 13 2011, 07:38 PM)
One of my favorite Beatle "albums" as a boy was an American compilation called "The Beatles Again" but also known as "Hey Jude" because of the song's inclusion.

Ah, the Hey Jude album! I wore that sucka out growing up. It's just a collection of songs, fantastic songs.

QUOTE (go2wrk@95974 @ Sep 12 2011, 12:17 PM)
1) Abbey Road---Best side(2) of music ever recorded.

2) Sgt.Peppers---Classic psychedelic.Best and 1st concept LP ever recorded.

3) Revolver---The times they were a'changin!!

4) Rubber Soul---Excellent/brilliant songwriting/lyrics.

5) Help!---This was the LP where their own sound/songwriting
kicked into gear.

Those are my top 5.

my top 5 too. Nothing really to add, I'm too tired right now and I'd just be repeating what everyone else said as well.