What Are Your Fav Goosebump Moments?

presto123

Since Rush seem to be the kings of those goosebump/chill moments list your parts of songs that do it for you. Could be a solo, a vocal part, a drum fill, or just overall atmosphere. I'll start: I'll say the whole solo section in Between The Wheels. That is my fav Lifeson solo and with Ged and Neil going crazy underneath and those great keys I'm getting chills just sitting hear thinking about it:) Yours?

Well, Presto, I'm assuming that you're posting this at least in part because of my post on Time Stand Still, so you know that's right up there near the top for me.

I also love the guitar solo in La Villa

the section during the guitar solo in Mystic Rhythms

the opening blast of "Suddenly, you were gone..." in Afterimage

the "To you, is it movement or is it action..." part in The Enemy Within

the final guitar solo section in Mission

the ending of Everyday Glory

the ending of Prime Mover

pretty much all of The Pass

the ending of Nobody's Hero

the live ending of Marathon, complete with choir

...too many to name.

Some have mine have been named, but I'll add everything starting with the "ohhhho" that leads into the guitar solo in Bravado and then goes into "and if the music stops"...OMG...the choruses in Resist...the passionate vocals in Here Again...the end of Fountain...everything after "can't we raise our eyes and make a start" in AFTK...the suicide in 2112...everything after "in vain to search for order" in Madrigal...the end of Witch Hunt...the keys in DEW...all of Middletown Dreams...the chorus and "feelings run high" in Emotion Detector...the chorus and keys in Open Secrets...all of Second Nature..."I get this feeling" in Scars...the end of Presto, Available Light, and Everday Glory...the verses in CTTC...the spoken parts in Double Agent...the verses of Vapor Trail...the ooooOOOO in Far Cry, especially live...the chorus of Workin' Them Angels...oh heck, why didn't I just say the whole catalog tongue.gif Edited by 1 of the 7

-the main piano riff in Red Tide, especially when it come in around 2:16.

- the whispering in The Twilight Zone.

-"the boy pulls down his baseball cap and covers up his EYES.." from Analog Kid. that note Geddy hits... jesus...

-everything after 4:30 in Ceiling Unlimited.

-Hope

-Different Strings, but mostly the bass line at 2:16.

-"ahh yes to yes to ahh ahh to yes" from Between the Sun and Moon. just love how he sings that part.

i could probably note something from every song.

3:10 - 3:50 on La Villa

3rd vs after the Guitar Solo on Red Barchetta

Guitar solo in Afterimage

You can do alot in a lifetime if u dont burn out too fast MArathon

I did a similar topic last year. These were the ones I posted then:

1. 2112 - the transition into Priests, after "And the meek...", when that galloping beat begins.

2. The Trees - after the instrumental break, when Alex does those little staccato guitar bits.

3. La Villa Strangiato - the first time the Strangiato theme is played; Lerxst in Wonderland; Waltz of the Shreve; A Farewell To Things

4. The Spirit Of Radio - that arepggio!! After the break, the sudden change back to the original key/time (not sure which or both?) before the reggae bit.

5. Freewill - that two beat bounce in the chorus

6. Natural Science - the transition from Tide Pools to Hyperspace

7. Tom Sawyer - "... changes aren't permanent, but change is..." one of my favorite Rush phrases.

8. YYZ - that awesome bass break... you know, the one with the harmonics?!

9. Red Sector A - the way Geddy sings "... prayer to profanity..." (actually this is one of Ged's best vocals, IMO)

10. Time Stand Still - the first time the keyboard hook is played (that Aimee Man then sings). So plaintive.

11. Roll The Bones - the bass break just before the "organ" keys come in; the "rap"

12. Leave That Thing Alone! - the 2nd time the guitar phrase plays, the drums... floor tom to high-pitched tom

13. Ghost Of A Chance - those tasty guitar licks after the final chorus

14. One Little Victory - the shuffle drum beat; "One little victo-reeeeeeeeeee.."

15. Far Cry - "... one day I fly through a hole in the sky..."; those thundering drums at the end!

16. BU2B - The way Geddy puts across the sarcasm in "... loves us all to death."

17. Caravan - the instrumental section with those deep, pounding drums.

But I have a few more to add now..

Lakeside Park - "... though it's just a memory, some mem'ries last forever"

A Farewell To Kings - that final verse and the last line, "Can't we raise our eyes/

And make a start/Can't we find the minds/To lead us closer to the Heart"

Xanadu - the little guitar sting after "Frozen in an everlasting view..."

Kid Gloves - The guitar riff. One of Al's best.

Manhattan Project - The way Geddy sings ".... flying out of the shockwave..."

Force Ten - After the musical bridge, after Geddy sings "...look out for the force without form..." and those three guitar notes ring out. Perfect!

Mission - "We each pay a fabulous price/For our visions of paradise" Beautiful.

Tai Shan - "If you raise your hands to heaven/You will live a hundred years" I find myself hoping that Neil did exactly that.

Presto - The guitar solo and the drums at the end of the solo.

Hand Over Fist - "...feel the world expand..."

Heresy - the final verse. Really hits home.

Cut To The Chase - When the grungy guitar comes in after "can't stop" Oh man!

Everyday Glory - That last part ".... we're the ones who have to fly." One of Neil's best.

Resist - The part after the bridge when Geddy sings the hell out of it.

The Way The Wind Blows - The bluesy guitar; the way Geddy sings, "like a solitary pine/on a bare windblasted shore..."

Wow. That's a lot! ohmy.gif laugh.gif

too much to list here!!!

to name just a few from ESL:

'This is The Spirit Of Radio' on ESL (right from the start)

YYZ on ESL (right after the drum solo)

Jacob's Ladder on ESL (...all at once the clouds are parted...)

Today I listened to 'Chemistry' in the car and it was mindblowing.

QUOTE (greyfriar @ Sep 7 2011, 06:02 AM)
too much to list here!!!

Chemistry is frigggin great I don't know why some people don't like it. One of my favs from Signals for sure.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Sep 7 2011, 02:48 PM)
QUOTE (greyfriar @ Sep 7 2011, 06:02 AM)
too much to list here!!!

Chemistry is frigggin great I don't know why some people don't like it. One of my favs from Signals for sure.

Also for me. Chemistry is fantastic!

There's 5 that pop into my head right away.

1) 2112

2) BTW

3) Limelight

4) Presto

5) Bravado

There are so many more, that

I'll try to list tomorrow.

My God, there is so many. I'll try to get a few in here.

• The Enemy Within: That bassline is simply amazing! My favorite song from Rush's material, and this is the song that made me admire the bass, and develop a desire to play.
  • Middletown Dreams: The way Geddy sings this song gets me everytime. "...is more than a man can endure....ooooOOOOOoooooHHHH" Goosebumps all over at that. The guitar is awesome, especially the solo. Probably one of Geddy's best vocal performances.
  • Subdivisions: The drumming. Especially at the part between 0:26 to 0:51. Seriously, who comes up with that? A genius, that's who! The first time I heard the moog interlude, I was in complete awe. Driving in the car with my Dad and hearing that, I didn't know what to think. It get's me everytime! I knew that one day I would have to learn that part, and the entire song, and I can proudly say I have.
  • Lock and Key: The guitar solo. First time hearing the song, the solo surprised me. Awesome, and heavy, especially during that time. The part between 3:52 and 4:08 is awesome too.
  • The Analog Kid: There are many moments in this song! The chorus. One of the few Rush songs that I think I can sing well. The part after the second chorus that flows into the guitar solo get's me every time (3:00 to 3:23). I love singing that part for some reason. I love how it transitions and flows. The guitar solo is probably my all time favorite post-Moving Pictures (it might be tied with Between the Wheels). I love how Alex, just like Between the Wheels keeps the solo going when he could have ended it, but nope! He keeps soaring! Geddy's playing gives me goosebumps, too. Love it!
  • Limelight: Alex's guitar solo is an automatic goosebump moment. Beautifully crafted!
  • Mission: The entire song is a goosebump moment. Geddy's singing is beautiful. The instrumental break with Alex's solo is great. I can't believe I overlooked this song before. The break is very proggy, in my opinion at least. Alex's outro solo = winning! (Sorry, I just had to do it. But, seriously it is!)
  • Mystic Rhythms: The drum beat. Definitely a 'mysterious rhythm.'
  • La Villa Strangiato: Pretty much entire song, but Alex's solo...beyond words. Probably my favorite solo pre-Permanent Waves. Both Geddy and Neil both have goosebump moments for me too, especially when they solo.
  • Ghost of a Chance: The chorus. Musically, it's crafted to perfection. The lyrics are crafted beautifully, although I don't necessarily agree with the context. Regardless, the chorus is magical. Alex's solo definitely strikes at home for me. This man truly is unique playing the guitar, and has such a distinct style that I hear nowhere else.
  • Something for Nothing: The power of the vocals are great. "Waiting for someone to come, and turn your world around..." Love it!
  • Freewill: Instrumental break. Love that everyone is soloing like crazy, yet it all works!

There are so many more. I pretty much just went down my playlist. I wish I could add more, but this is good for now.

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Sep 8 2011, 11:49 AM)
My God, there is so many. I'll try to get a few in here.
  • The Enemy Within: That bassline is simply amazing! My favorite song from Rush's material, and this is the song that made me admire the bass, and develop a desire to play.
  • Middletown Dreams: The way Geddy sings this song gets me everytime. "...is more than a man can endure....ooooOOOOOoooooHHHH" Goosebumps all over at that. The guitar is awesome, especially the solo. Probably one of Geddy's best vocal performances.
  • Subdivisions: The drumming. Especially at the part between 0:26 to 0:51. Seriously, who comes up with that? A genius, that's who! The first time I heard the moog interlude, I was in complete awe. Driving in the car with my Dad and hearing that, I didn't know what to think. It get's me everytime! I knew that one day I would have to learn that part, and the entire song, and I can proudly say I have.
  • Lock and Key: The guitar solo. First time hearing the song, the solo surprised me. Awesome, and heavy, especially during that time. The part between 3:52 and 4:08 is awesome too.
  • The Analog Kid: There are many moments in this song! The chorus. One of the few Rush songs that I think I can sing well. The part after the second chorus that flows into the guitar solo get's me every time (3:00 to 3:23). I love singing that part for some reason. I love how it transitions and flows. The guitar solo is probably my all time favorite post-Moving Pictures (it might be tied with Between the Wheels). I love how Alex, just like Between the Wheels keeps the solo going when he could have ended it, but nope! He keeps soaring! Geddy's playing gives me goosebumps, too. Love it!
  • Limelight: Alex's guitar solo is an automatic goosebump moment. Beautifully crafted!
  • Mission: The entire song is a goosebump moment. Geddy's singing is beautiful. The instrumental break with Alex's solo is great. I can't believe I overlooked this song before. The break is very proggy, in my opinion at least. Alex's outro solo = winning! (Sorry, I just had to do it. But, seriously it is!)
  • Mystic Rhythms: The drum beat. Definitely a 'mysterious rhythm.'
  • La Villa Strangiato: Pretty much entire song, but Alex's solo...beyond words. Probably my favorite solo pre-Permanent Waves. Both Geddy and Neil both have goosebump moments for me too, especially when they solo.
  • Ghost of a Chance: The chorus. Musically, it's crafted to perfection. The lyrics are crafted beautifully, although I don't necessarily agree with the context. Regardless, the chorus is magical. Alex's solo definitely strikes at home for me. This man truly is unique playing the guitar, and has such a distinct style that I hear nowhere else.
  • Something for Nothing: The power of the vocals are great. "Waiting for someone to come, and turn your world around..." Love it!
  • Freewill: Instrumental break. Love that everyone is soloing like crazy, yet it all works!
There are so many more. I pretty much just went down my playlist. I wish I could add more, but this is good for now.

Great post. that's what I was looking for. Specific moments in songs and why you like them. BTW......I learned how to play Subdivisions on drums way back in 1985. I love that part as well. The whole song is fun to play as are too many Rush songs to mention. That's how I cut my teeth back in the day although I rarely sit down and play along with Rush these days. People can still usually tell my main influence even when I'm playing cover songs from other bands and such. I owe a lot to Neil and his style but I don't try to directly copy any one drummer. Again great post!

Freewill: Instrumental break. Love that everyone is soloing like crazy, yet it all works!

Yes! They all seem to be off doing their own thing and then.... BAM! - they're all back together again. So freaking tight!

One of 46 concerts Capital Centre Landover MD, from the Hold Your Fire Tour a chick behind and above me yells no screams out *That's my favorite song*

The song was also my favorite song Red Sector A, she seemed to not believe me so we started to sing the words word....for....word face....to....face. It was like we were trying to out sing each other in some kind of competition which we both eventually won because we knew that song word for word. We gave each other a big high five and eyed each other the rest of the show.

Too bad they didn't have that 25 minute break back then things would have gotten very interesting. tongue.gif

In Middletown Dreams between the lines "Like a brilliant shooting star" and "The middle-aged madonna" is an all too brief moment of very fast keyboards with Alex just killing his guitar in the background. If someone looped that part for about 20 minutes I could die happily from excessive goosebumps.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Sep 9 2011, 02:49 PM)
In Middletown Dreams between the lines "Like a brilliant shooting star" and "The middle-aged madonna" is an all too brief moment of very fast keyboards with Alex just killing his guitar in the background. If someone looped that part for about 20 minutes I could die happily from excessive goosebumps.

The whole song is one big goosebump for me. They need to play it live along with Grand Designs and bring back Territories.

Goosebump moments:

Everyday Glory - the vocal climax ("If the future's looking dark .....> we're the ones who have to fly"). Gets me every time! wub.gif

La Villa Strangiato - the first time the song launches into the main theme. I could listen to that repeating riff over and over!

Witch Hunt - after the second verse, when Geddy sings, "Ohhhhh.... OHHHHHHH....!" with echo-y reverb.

Vital Signs - towards the end of the song, the bass doodle before the "Everybody got to..." recitation fade-out.

Red Sector A - pretty much the whole song. Favourite line is "From prayer to profanity" - gives me shivers. Very well sung, and the whole song meshes together very well. Can't help but explore the subject matter a bit more and get internally teary.

Ghost Rider - after reading Neil's book, this song took on more meaning. When the chorus switches from "... Shadows on the road ahead" to "... Sunrise on the road ahead" - spiritual regrowth! And watching live concerts, where Neil breaks his drumsticks at the end of the song.

Time Stand Still - another total package of a song. The singing is awesome, and the words so meaningful. "Summer's going fast, nights growing colder..."

Faithless - when the song shifts into the chorus ("I don't have faith in faith...") for the first time. When I heard this live in concert, I was one whole big goosebump. To me, the music and the words work together very well.

Anthem - not entirely goosebump-inducing, but I particularly like: "Live for yourself, there's no one else more worth living for."

Ah, that's it for now! Cheers to anyone reading this! I've enjoyed reading others' favourite song moments! trink39.gif

I agree with most of these, but there's one more that wasn't mentioned yet.

The chorus to Secret Touch. Such emotion in Geddy's voice and in Alex's playing