Time Stand Still

Captain Avatar

I was driving home from work on a dreary, cold, rainy afternoon, listening to a Rush mix on my MP3 player, and Time Stand Still came on. For sheer emotional impact, that song just nails me every time! Everything clicks...Geddy's passionate singing, Alex's tasteful and perfect choice of notes, the keyboards, Neil's constantly shifting and building drum parts, and especially the lyrics...they all combine into a wall of emotion.

Every time Geddy sings "Freeze this moment a little bit longer!" I can hear the desperate plea in his voice, and from 3:14 to 3:43, the music is simply haunting, with some high pitched vocals (?) in the background adding just the right mood. And then, the best (saddest) part comes in the climax immediately after that, when at 4:13 it has built up into a much larger version of what came before, and Geddy cries "Summer's going fast..." and the music just builds and builds. Neil goes crazy during the final "Experience slips away" part, and then it ends with "the innocence slips away...."

I thought about my boys growing up so fast, how my friends and I have grown old so quickly and how I wish I, too, could make time stand still just once. I had tears streaming down my face by the end and I thought about how, every so often, Rush are able to combine music, lyrics, and singing so that the mood is truly captured perfectly.

Cry baby! tongue.gif JK.

It overwhelms me every so often as well.

Get yourself photostory 3 from microsoft (Free), load up a bunch of pics that mean a lot to you, drop TSS in the music track, Burn to DVD. Now play and bring the family to tears. Good times... Good times. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (hunter @ Sep 6 2011, 07:17 PM)

Get yourself photostory 3 from microsoft (Free), load up a bunch of pics that mean a lot to you, drop TSS in the music track, Burn to DVD. Now play and bring the family to tears. Good times... Good times. biggrin.gif

Man, thanks for the recommendation. I'm definitely doing that!

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Sep 6 2011, 07:24 PM)
Great song.

I've always liked it a lot but as i've gotten older the lyrics to the song ring more and more true. Which makes me like it more as time passes by.

Yeah, definitely the same for me. I didn't even like it that much when I first heard it (around 1990). Over the years, it's become one of my all time favorites. Now it's on just about every Rush mix that I make.

I owe alot to time stand still. Knew of rush specially 81 and 82 when they were everywhere. Then i kinda heard of them here and there. Always respected them. But one day in 1993 i was taking a nap with classic Mtv (half hour show that played early videos ) and i heard time stand still through my sleep, and it woke me up and i watched the rest of the video and really took to the song. Then later that year, WYSP played disc 2 of chronicles and i heard time stand still again and i was hooked. The Next day i borrowed it off my neighbor who was a Rush fan and i just kept playing it over and over and over. I was really into his song, at that point the song was like 6 years old. But low and behold, i became a hrd core rush fan, then i listened to the whole chronicles cd and found more and more songs i liked, then i started to borrow albums from my neighbor and then saw my first concert on test for echo tour. and been with them ever since. Before this i was a huge van halen fan. not since Sammy left the first time. that band just got too goofy. but rush let lets down and stayed together and are still current and kinda got even more popular lately than ever... thats my time stand still story.. Also, a NJ station that plays an 2 hr 80's show, i requested time stand still and he played it. so i wanted to see if i could generate some new fans....

The first time I heard this was last August. Yes, really. When I listened to it again (on the bootleg we made of the show) I was able to clearly get the song's message. I broke into tears and haven't been able to listen to it all the way through since. Except for the 2 shows I saw on this leg of the tour - and I watched them play it those times through my tears. I love the song, it's beautiful and Aimee Mann's vocal adds to the haunting quality but... I just can't right now.

This is my Number 1 Rush tune in my top 5... My blood ran cold and had goose bumps the size of the Rockies when they did this live.... trink39.gif

So much of this holds so true at my age now..

Children growing up.... Old friends growing older.....

QUOTE (hunter @ Sep 6 2011, 08:17 PM)
Cry baby! tongue.gif JK.

I would do that listening to all of Hold Your Fire.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 7 2011, 06:01 AM)
QUOTE (hunter @ Sep 6 2011, 08:17 PM)
Cry baby!  tongue.gif  JK. 
Get yourself photostory 3 from microsoft (Free), load up a bunch of pics that mean a lot to you, drop TSS in the music track, Burn to DVD. Now play and bring the family to tears. Good times... Good times.  biggrin.gif

I would do that listening to all of Hold Your Fire.

Yeah with my family sometimes Lock and Key might be more apt. laugh.gif

One of my fav songs of all time from any band! I have been taking my wife to see Rush concerts for years (her first being the test for echo tour 1997). She always wanted to see them play Time Stand Still and they never did up until the Time machine tour. Now that they played it on both legs of tour, she missed it both times. The first Leg of the tour she was sick, and couldn't make it, and the second leg, we missed out because our ride to the Gorge backed out on us the day before the show and we couldn't scrape up enough money to pull the trip off on our own. (I explained the whole story in another thread). So she had two opportunities to see them play TSS and missed out. What gives?! I think that song should be a staple on every tour!

"Freeze this moment", indeed.

This time of year TSS always gets to me. Such a brilliant, moving song, perfectly described by the posts in this thread.

It's a perfect late summer follow-up to Analog Kid, which touches me in a similar way.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 7 2011, 01:46 PM)
As one gets older, as I am, this song grows in beauty and heart-wrenching truth. What Subdivisions was to my teens, this song is to my old-fartedness.

Same with me .....Time Stand Still will always be one of my all time favs and means more to me now that I am older. Subdivisions was the part of the soundtrack of my youth and has the ability to take me right back every time I hear it.