Best Vocals Album

GUP1771

Geddy started out wailing in the 70s, learned to sing in the 80s, perfected his own brand of singing in the 90s and continues to age like fine wine. I know there is a lot of criticism these days about his voice, but I saw him twice on the Time Machine tour almost a year apart and he was just fine. Especially. For. A. Man. Who. Is. Nearly. Sixty. Years. Old.

GeddyFinal.gif

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like his singing on Counterparts. The whole album has a nice sound, and the vocals go really well with it. And it has one of my very favourite bits of singing, the climax in 'Everyday Glory'. wub.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 22 2011, 09:52 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 23 2011, 12:34 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 23 2011, 12:30 AM)
Power Windows.

Yep.

And this one from HYF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iFTGOWEek0

For those HYF skeptics out there, actually listen to it instead of just dismissing it because it's on HYF. The vocal melodies throughout the song are wonderful, and he sings it with conviction, effectively conveying the meaning of the lyrics.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/smilies/thanx.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Aug 24 2011, 08:07 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 22 2011, 09:52 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 23 2011, 12:34 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 23 2011, 12:30 AM)
Power Windows.

Yep.

And this one from HYF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iFTGOWEek0

For those HYF skeptics out there, actually listen to it instead of just dismissing it because it's on HYF. The vocal melodies throughout the song are wonderful, and he sings it with conviction, effectively conveying the meaning of the lyrics.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/smilies/thanx.gif

smile.gif yes x2 and 73 well said. yes.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Cygnus blah blah Hemispheres is just about my favourite vocal ever. I hear his struggle and his triumph in that performance and it moves me like few things ever have.

Actually, his singing on Hemispheres is why I don't listen to that one often. Like Caress of Steel, he overplays his singing a bit and it hurts my ears.

"lost and aimless like their brothers for their hearts were so unCLEEEEEEER".

I actually prefer the singing on some of the later albums. The Caravan/Brought Up to Believe single was a pleasant surprise as well. One of my favorite vocal performances by Geddy. That isn't to say that I dislike the singing on the earlier albums though, but I just prefer the later ones.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 24 2011, 10:33 AM)
Actually, his singing on Hemispheres is why I don't listen to that one often. Like Caress of Steel, he overplays his singing a bit and it hurts my ears.

"lost and aimless like their brothers for their hearts were so unCLEEEEEEER".

QUOTE (Sir Lerxst @ Aug 24 2011, 10:46 AM)
I actually prefer the singing on some of the later albums. The Caravan/Brought Up to Believe single was a pleasant surprise as well. One of my favorite vocal performances by Geddy. That isn't to say that I dislike the singing on the earlier albums though, but I just prefer the later ones.

It's odd for me. Geddy's early voice was a huge reason that I didn't like Rush when I was young and hearing his modern singing style an equally huge factor in the birth of my fandom after seeing my first Rush gig in 2007. I really love the way Geddy sings now and I can't say that I prefer his younger voice in general, but the performance on Book II really gets to me.

Thats a tough one..lets see...top 7

Narrowing it to 1 is frickin' impossible.

1) MP

2) 2112

3) RUSH

4) PRW

5) RTB

6) PW

7) GUP or signals

Geddy's singing in the '80s was less screechy, but also the production of his vocals affect how I hear them. For example, his vocals on GUP are very upfront and dry while on Power Windows, his singing is drenched in reverb. On some songs he sounds like he's singing in a trash can. It's always taken away from my enjoyment of that album, him sounding too remote and robotic.

Presto is my favorite album for his voice actually. Not only does he hit the notes without strain or awkwardness or the yodeling crutch he's fallen on (that would come years later) but the effects are perfect...not too "echo-ey" and not too dry.

Counterparts, while not my favorite Rush album, still finds him in good form. It wasn't until TFE that he really started to lose his range and strain, at least live.

To be honest I'm torn. I love how Geddys voice is now, how it has matured and slightly deepend.

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Aug 24 2011, 10:23 PM)
I think his singing on Snakes and Arrows was some of the most melodic of Rush's career.

I so agree! One of Rush's best albums ever

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Aug 23 2011, 09:25 AM)
Geddy started out wailing in the 70s, learned to sing in the 80s, perfected his own brand of singing in the 90s and continues to age like fine wine. I know there is a lot of criticism these days about his voice, but I saw him twice on the Time Machine tour almost a year apart and he was just fine. Especially. For. A. Man. Who. Is. Nearly. Sixty. Years. Old.

GeddyFinal.gif

This.

I was going to write almost the same thing, but this nails it. Much as I like the old stuff, in terms of quality vocals, you have to look to the late 80's/early 90's for the start of it. Presto was a great vocals album, as was HYF.

Volume doesn't ensure quality. Nor does having a high register.

"Available Light" (Presto) was probably his best song, vocal-wise, but overall I'd pick the Hold Your Fire album.

If you like the wailing Geddy, then I don't think anything touches 2112. He really screams like a banshee during the Temples of Syrinx and Presentation.

If you like the mellower side of Geddy, I think he still sounds fantastic on Snakes and Arrows.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 25 2011, 11:58 AM)
"Available Light" (Presto) was probably his best song, vocal-wise, but overall I'd pick the Hold Your Fire album.

Quality of vocals wise, meaning his voice, tone, pitch, whatever, I think PoW to HYF was a great time...

Individual tracks, I'd say Middletown Dreams, Mystic Rhythms, Available Light, Limelight, Closer to the Heart, Twilight Zone, Earthshine.

As far as albums go, my favorite sustained vocal performance over two sides (or an entire disc) is Caress of Steel.