STYX "Paradise Theater:" Pop Poop Or Solid Gem?

RUSHHEAD666

Do You Love "Paradise Theater" Or Do You Think That It Was The Beginning Of The End?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Love "Paradise Theater" Or Do You Think That It Was The Beginning Of The End?

• Hell Yes! I Love This Record! It's All About "SNOWBLIND!"
    • Hell No! This Album Is One Of The Biggest Corporate Pop Poopers Of All Time!
    • It Wasn't "Paradise Theater" That Did This Group In! It's All About "Cornerstone!"
    • "Babe" Is A Movie About A PIG!

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Aug 10 2011, 01:22 PM)
One wonders how many threads we need about Styx being a good band or not. biggrin.gif

I just want to say that my Styx thread is the Cornerstone of critical Styx threads...

cool.gif

One wonders how many threads we need about Styx being a good band or not. biggrin.gif

They do seem to come up as a topic a lot, which I do find odd, confused13.gif

But, then again, in my twisted world, you can't ever have too much Styx.. sooner or later one of these threads will ultimately determine that they are a good band.. right?

QUOTE (MCM @ Aug 10 2011, 05:59 PM)
One wonders how many threads we need about Styx being a good band or not.  biggrin.gif

They do seem to come up as a topic a lot, which I do find odd, confused13.gif

But, then again, in my twisted world, you can't ever have too much Styx.. sooner or later one of these threads will ultimately determine that they are a good band.. right?

Styx is the new Dream Theater. tongue.gif

This is one of the best pop rock albums ever released.

I prefer it to Sgt. Pepper's.

It is the only time a DeYoung heavy album ever pleased me THIS much, aside from Styx II.

Near flawless.

• Like 1

I have the laser etched vinyl as well!

It's a beautiful thing Myles!!! An amazing record.

I snapped it at the edge...THE ONLY VINYL I EVER BROKE

No way! You broke it because you played the crap out of it or did you damage it by accident?

No way! You broke it because you played the crap out of it or did you damage it by accident?

Back when I was young and stupid a Christian neighbor told me that my "Highway To Hell" record was satanic and it had to be destroyed. I thought to myself, "no way it's just rock and roll! Never!" Then the neighbor's husband put the fear of God In me one late afternoon. His son Doug and I took my album cover and lit it on fire. We then destroyed the vinyl in my backyard with a hammer. All in the Name Of GOD!!!!! Well a few days later I felt stupid doing that so I went back down to Record Factory on my bike and bought another copy. Never ever did that shit again. I remember that same dad telling me that 2112 was a satanic album cover. Yeah right. The red star was a symbol of the DEVIL!!!!! The profile of the DEVIL is in the STARMAN!!!!!!! Stupidity breeds ignorance. Everyone knows that the red star on 2112 is an open star. Not even close to a pentagram. Now the profile of the DEVIL in the STARMAN IS REAL!

• Like 1

It is the only time a DeYoung heavy album ever pleased me THIS much, aside from Styx II.

Near flawless.

that.........is the ODDEST comparison i have ever seen, lol

Mick

Near flawless.

Mick

I find they both have a certain spark, and I read an interview where DeYoung said Peppers was his template.

One is a fictitious band, the other a theatre. The structure is similar too, but with very different content.

• Like 2

Near flawless.

Mick

I find they both have a certain spark, and I read an interview where DeYoung said Peppers was his template.

One is a fictitious band, the other a theatre. The structure is similar too, but with very different content.

oh did not know that.

Never would have put those two beside each other in a million years, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Near flawless.

Mick

oh did not know that.

Never would have put those two beside each other in a million years, lol

Mick

It's very loosely the concept idea. That's all!

And pepper has the greatest songs!!

• Like 1

Love Paradise Theater. It's a prime example of a solid pop/rock album with just enough progressive leanings and musical prowess to please the music-heads, and just enough theatrical power to make the pop songs as anthemic and invigorating as the rock songs. DeYoung and Shaw match each other's contributions to the album perfectly, and then James Young comes in and steals the grand finale for himself with the hardest rocker on the record, all while the Panazo bros. give every single track a rock solid foundation. It's up there with Crystal Ball and The Grand Illusion for me, and I think it's potentially comparable to Sgt. Pepper's on a solely musical basis (i.e., not taking into account the grand mythology behind every second the Beatles put to tape).
  • Like 4

Love Paradise Theater. It's a prime example of a solid pop/rock album with just enough progressive leanings and musical prowess to please the music-heads, and just enough theatrical power to make the pop songs as anthemic and invigorating as the rock songs. DeYoung and Shaw match each other's contributions to the album perfectly, and then James Young comes in and steals the grand finale for himself with the hardest rocker on the record, all while the Panazo bros. give every single track a rock solid foundation. It's up there with Crystal Ball and The Grand Illusion for me, and I think it's potentially comparable to Sgt. Pepper's on a solely musical basis (i.e., not taking into account the grand mythology behind every second the Beatles put to tape).

Wow!

I was just going to sign off!

Glad I read your post first.

Amazing take.

Well said!!

You deserve a "Half Penny." Ok "Two Penny" for your thoughts!!!

• Like 1

Take away the mythology of the Beatles, and just leave me with the bare bones of the music, and I will say the Sgt. Pepper's has some of the greatest songs in all the world.

But I love every song on Paradise Theater, and to my ears Pepper has some major filler going on.

• Like 1