Oh, I do not want to do this

Mara

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Aug 2 2011, 11:10 AM)
QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 2 2011, 09:23 AM)
Oh, and ILSnowdog, you should just be glad that prostate exams don't require a speculum and that you haven't had to have them every single year since you were 16 wink.gif

ohmy.gif You're right. We just have to deal with doctors who have big knuckles. laugh.gif

Duuuude. Dude. You have kids. Surely your wife has told you about the joys of an OB/GYN seeing how dilated you are during the last part of pregnancy AND every hour on the hour during labor.

God, this one OB/GYN I had, totally had man hands. I swear. B*tch was not gentle either.

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 2 2011, 06:26 PM)
QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 2 2011, 02:21 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Aug 2 2011, 02:10 PM)
Oh, and ILSnowdog, you should just be glad that prostate exams don't require a speculum and that you haven't had to have them every single year since you were 16 wink.gif

ohmy.gif You're right. We just have to deal with doctors who have big knuckles. laugh.gif

We get that, too, you know. yes.gif

Though maybe not as deep!

Re: the speculum - thankfully many doctors now warm their instruments first.

Warmed up or not, metal or plastic - they make me freeze up with fear...

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 3 2011, 09:43 AM)
I'm curious: of those of you who've had this done, did you adhere to the "no solid foods, clear liquids and/or hard candies" rule the day before? Or did you cheat just a little?

Can ANYONE suggest something I can drink that actually has some nutrition in it besides sugar? Is there a clear liquid protein drink out there? Because I really am not looking forward to the fast.

If I remember correctly (it was a while ago), I stuck to the no solid foods rule 100% (better safe than sorry). The only thing I remember having aside of the prep (albeit very little) was some beef stock and Gatorade.

I've seen many differentiating reports on what is truly allowed during the "cleansing" process, but there are overwhelmingly very little non-sugary products allowed. Water, assorted broths, coffee and tea (without anything added) are probably your best bet--you could also shoot for a sugar-less clear soda or gelatin.

I stuck to the no-food rule 100%. I drank only water, tea and broth. I found it more annoying than actually difficult, but I've fasted before so that probably helped.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Aug 4 2011, 02:41 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 2 2011, 06:26 PM)
QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 2 2011, 02:21 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Aug 2 2011, 02:10 PM)

We get that, too, you know. yes.gif

Though maybe not as deep!

Re: the speculum - thankfully many doctors now warm their instruments first.

Warmed up or not, metal or plastic - they make me freeze up with fear...

I used to get so bad...crying, shaking...a doctor one time asked if something had happened to me to make me feel that way. He was very kind and kudos to him for asking. Thankfully the answer to the question is no, I just hated it that much. I'm pretty much over it now, but it's still a process to get my head "elsewhere" while the exam is going on.

I hate this, dammit! I am so close to cancelling out! I'm hungry and cranky and tomorrow's a really bad day for me to miss any work!

I have a coupon for 20% off the prep kit. On the back it says "Limit 10".

Why in the hell would anybody want more than ONE, let alone ten? Practical jokes?

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 4 2011, 03:21 PM)
I hate this, dammit! I am so close to cancelling out! I'm hungry and cranky and tomorrow's a really bad day for me to miss any work!

I have a coupon for 20% off the prep kit. On the back it says "Limit 10".
Why in the hell would anybody want more than ONE, let alone ten? Practical jokes?

C'mon, Mara...you can do it. You'll be so glad when it's all over and done with.

hug2.gif

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Aug 4 2011, 04:27 PM)
You can do it, by this time tomorrow it will be all over. We're all sending prayers and good vibes to you.

This!

Don't give up now. You can do this! cheer.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Aug 4 2011, 04:08 PM)
Please do this, Mara - we're all thinking of you! Sending you  heart.gif and  hug2.gif

Well said, Babycat! trink39.gif +1

Didn't happen.

Started the prep. Barely managed to gag down the first dose plus the four subsequent cups of water. They wanted to come up, but I kept everything down.

No go on dose #2. I thought it might stay down, but then I gave a little involuntary cough. Well, when you are already nauseous and have the world's most sensitive gag reflex anyway, coughing is just a trigger.

So I went in this morning anyway but they didn't feel they could do the scope. So I have to reschedule (5 years sound OK?) and they'll try with a bunch of pills instead.

I know. It's not an experience I am particularly eager to repeat.

I was headachy, slightly dizzy and crabby as hell for most of yesterday. I had just enough energy to get the dogs walked and that was IT. Throughout the day I drank 2 giant-sized Monster Energy drinks (yuk), a quart of Gatorade, and had some green Jello. My husband even bought me a couple of bottles of Isopure, which is a clear fruit juice protein drink (instead of a shake or smoothie) so I'd get some actual nutrition in my system instead of zinging around peaking and crashing on sugar. It gave me wicked bad heartburn.

I've fasted before and not been nearly as miserable, so I think a lot of it was mental. There's a difference in a self-imposed fast, which you can break if it just doesn't work for you, and a medically-ordered one.

Mara, Sorry to hear you couldn't do it hug2.gif Do you know when you're gonna do it again or do you have to wait for the doc to get in touch?

Maybe you'll have a better time next time.

Aw, poor Mara..! The need to have it done is one thing, but to have to re-schedule... Hope you'll be able to get it done next time. You've got us to root for you! wub.gif hug2.gif heart.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 5 2011, 08:36 AM)
I know. It's not an experience I am particularly eager to repeat.

I was headachy, slightly dizzy and crabby as hell for most of yesterday. I had just enough energy to get the dogs walked and that was IT. Throughout the day I drank 2 giant-sized Monster Energy drinks (yuk), a quart of Gatorade, and had some green Jello. My husband even bought me a couple of bottles of Isopure, which is a clear fruit juice protein drink (instead of a shake or smoothie) so I'd get some actual nutrition in my system instead of zinging around peaking and crashing on sugar. It gave me wicked bad heartburn.

I've fasted before and not been nearly as miserable, so I think a lot of it was mental. There's a difference in a self-imposed fast, which you can break if it just doesn't work for you, and a medically-ordered one.

Oh man! I'm sorry to hear about that Mara! What an awful experience. Try the pills next time, like they suggested.

Whenever I have to do something that's not fun, I always promise myself an extra special (I mean, like really REALLY special) reward. That way, I actually end up looking forward to getting the un-fun thing done. What's something you want that you wouldn't normally just do or get yourself? You only have to go through this exam once every five years or so. Make the reward worth it!! Go all out.

Oh no. Sorry you have to go through this and I hope you're able to get it over with soon.

Take care of yourself.. a pampered weekend would be nice, eh? rose.gif

i wussed out of an MRI yesterday sad.gif

last monday the pain came back, like i have another gall stone. angry.gif

they warned me going into the surgery July 3rd that i could still have stones even after i had my gall bladder removed, but i dismissed it for 3 reasons.

1) it didn't make a difference to solving the problem of the day

2) it didn't even make sense to me

3) it prolly wouldn't happen to me unsure.gif right?

but monday, Labor Day, i sat straight up in bed knowing it was back.

then the pain subsided. it was off and on all day. i went about my business and cleaned the house anyway.

tuesday i went back to work and called the dr's office. they put in an order for Imaging and told me to wait for their call.

wednesday, i called back to let them know no one had called me yet.

thursday morning, the Imaging folks called and wanted me to do an MRI.

Are you claustrophobic? they ask.

well YEAH, actually, i've become so in recent years. ph34r.gif

that's ok, we have medicine for that. smile.gif

but when i got there, they didn't have any drugs for me.

i was supposed to get them from the pharmacy and take them in advance. doh.gif

so i asked if i could just see the MRI machine before i committed to going in there without "help".

it looked benign enough, but on a trial run, i couldn't stand it.

ohmy.gif no.gif

not for 30 - 45 min, anyway

*phukk THAT* rage.gif

i picked up the script,,,nice lil cocktail of psych meds 062802puke_prv.gif

maybe with these and an OPEN MRI...