Manners

Lost In Xanadu

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jul 29 2011, 11:26 AM)
In my car - that's when it gets to me. It's my car, I don't want you putting your bare feet on my door or my seats or my glovebox. Do I say something or do I just wipe down the car everyday when I get home? laugh.gif

You should say something. It's your car and therefore your rules.

You don't have to be nasty...at first. All that needs to be said is:

"Do 'ya mind?" (Gesturing towards her feet).

"Could you please put your feet down?"

If she continues to do it, then by all means, be rude.

"I told you to PUT YOUR FEET DOWN."

"Go do that in your OWN CAR."

"Are you going to wash my car interior this evening for me?"

653.gif 653.gif 653.gif

People have become so narcissistic that they don't even know how to apologize for something they did wrong.

They can't even acknowledge that they erred. angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif

"I'm sorry you got mad."

"I apologize that you were...."

They twist the situation so that it seems (to them) that it is YOU who has the problem.

That burns my ass to no end.....no personal responsibility, therefore no manners or respect for others.

I know this guy, he used to come over to my place to hang out. He would constantly insult how cheap and low quality my guitar is before taking it and my Rush pick which I ask people not to use (I have a standard green pick right next to it), and then playing on it while others on talking with the amp at half volume.

He came over to crash a party I was having this summer and began doing this again. After plugging in my guitar to the amp 3 minutes after walking in he went to put the strap around his neck and wound up hitting my ceiling, leaving a dent. I pointed out how disrespectful he is towards me whenever he walks in and told him to put the guitar away and either stick with the party (which was not a jam session) or get out. He left, the rest of us had a great time.

To the OP:

I'd speak up if someone was putting their feet on any part of my car. With or without shoes. If they refused after some debate, I would slam the breaks, pull over and tell them to learn some courtesy or get out.

Stick up for your rights and your belongings.

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 29 2011, 06:20 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 29 2011, 03:18 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jul 29 2011, 05:57 PM)
Is she hot?

who?

Your grandma.

actually, she's dead. but thanks for playing "how to be an asshole" and insult people's family.

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Jul 29 2011, 01:44 PM)
Slipping her sandals off is one thing, but putting them anywhere but on the floor is in poor tatse. I would politely ask she keep them off the dashboard.

People are rude these days.

I went to get a sandwich last week and a guy walked up to teh door at the same time as me. I opened the door for him to walk through. NO thank you or even a nod. I would have been ok with that except he walks up to the counter and starts ordering FIVE sandwiches. I was like WTF?? I almost said something to him, but you just never know these days.

Ill pick this one to agree and expound on. Basic manners are disappearing. Just like your door instance, people dont even hold the door anymore. No thank yous. Clerks at stores who barely address you, toll takers and gate agents at airports who treat you like crap. Kids who dress improperly and speak improperly. And my latest pet peeve - kids (and occasionally adults) that look at their smart phone while you are talking to them!

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 29 2011, 10:53 PM)
Slipping her sandals off is one thing, but putting them anywhere but on the floor is in poor tatse.  I would politely ask she keep them off the dashboard. 

I went to get a sandwich last week and a guy walked up to teh door at the same time as me.  I opened the door for him to walk through.  NO thank you or even a nod.  I would have been ok with that except he walks up to the counter and starts ordering FIVE sandwiches.  I was like WTF??  I almost said something to him, but you just never know these days.

Ill pick this one to agree and expound on. Basic manners are disappearing. Just like your door instance, people dont even hold the door anymore. No thank yous. Clerks at stores who barely address you, toll takers and gate agents at airports who treat you like crap. Kids who dress improperly and speak improperly. And my latest pet peeve - kids (and occasionally adults) that look at their smart phone while you are talking to them!

Dang kids!

old.gif

Oh wait... unsure.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 29 2011, 11:53 PM)
Slipping her sandals off is one thing, but putting them anywhere but on the floor is in poor tatse.  I would politely ask she keep them off the dashboard. 

I went to get a sandwich last week and a guy walked up to teh door at the same time as me.  I opened the door for him to walk through.  NO thank you or even a nod.  I would have been ok with that except he walks up to the counter and starts ordering FIVE sandwiches.  I was like WTF??  I almost said something to him, but you just never know these days.

Gah, that smartphone thing. . .

My husband's nephew does that. He's 29. Last time we were at his parents' for a holiday he could not put that damn phone down. Finally his dad got pissed and told him to put the phone away while we ate, and if he didn't like that then he could leave and go eat at home. He put the phone away but I swear, he shook and twitched like a detoxing meth head throughout the meal.

I hate how so many people my age are simply rude, impolite assholes. Is it really that hard to hold a door, smile, say please and thank you, and just use common sense? Even if you don't really mean what you say, its still the right thing to do.

My generation is HORRIBLE about respect and common courtesy. I think we sometimes underestimate the effect that music has on the minds and attitudes of kids. Just look at rap. What is that teaching kids? I

It's cool to disrespect your parents.

It's cool to use women then throw them away like trash.

Drugs are fine and not bad for you.

Alcohol is okay at any age.

Are these the kinds of things you want your kids to be learning, absorbing, and regurgitating?

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 29 2011, 06:53 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 29 2011, 06:20 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 29 2011, 03:18 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jul 29 2011, 05:57 PM)
Is she hot?

who?

Your grandma.

actually, she's dead. but thanks for playing "how to be an asshole" and insult people's family.

I meant the comment as a joke. Sorry.

Edited by Janie

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jul 29 2011, 06:10 PM)
People have become so narcissistic that they don't even know how to apologize for something they did wrong.
They can't even acknowledge that they erred. angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif

"I'm sorry you got mad."

They twist the situation so that it seems (to them) that it is YOU who has the problem.
That burns my ass to no end.....no personal responsibility, therefore no manners or respect for others.

Ah, the non-apology "apology", perfected by our politicians.

LiX, I'd be nice the first time, "Could you please not do that? Thanks". Then progressively less if she keeps it up. Your car, your rules.

Someone mentioned that their kids appear super polite compared to most kids these days. Same here. My family roots are Southern so the manners get passed along with the genes. laugh.gif

Here's one that bugs me: The phone rings (cell or landline) you answer it, "Hello?" and the person on the other end asks, "Who is this?" WTF?? No, you called me, I want to know who you are. That and people who let their kids use the phone as a toy (usually toddlers). My phone number at my old house was 258-2583 - the middle numbers in a row twice and +3. A simple pattern that kids apparently like. You can imagine how many times I'd pick up the phone and hear baby gurgling, etc. wacko.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jul 29 2011, 10:15 PM)
QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jul 29 2011, 06:10 PM)
They can't even acknowledge that they erred.  angry.gif  angry.gif  angry.gif 

"I'm sorry you got mad."

Ah, the non-apology "apology", perfected by our politicians.

LiX, I'd be nice the first time, "Could you please not do that? Thanks". Then progressively less if she keeps it up. Your car, your rules.

Someone mentioned that their kids appear super polite compared to most kids these days. Same here. My family roots are Southern so the manners get passed along with the genes. laugh.gif

Here's one that bugs me: The phone rings (cell or landline) you answer it, "Hello?" and the person on the other end asks, "Who is this?" WTF?? No, you called me, I want to know who you are. That and people who let their kids use the phone as a toy (usually toddlers). My phone number at my old house was 258-2583 - the middle numbers in a row twice and +3. A simple pattern that kids apparently like. You can imagine how many times I'd pick up the phone and hear baby gurgling, etc. wacko.gif

I'm guilty of that last one BUT BY TOTAL ACCIDENT! Whenever the phone would ring, my oldest would beeline for the phone. The two of us would literally race to the phone to be the first to grab it. I've since removed the second phone and placed our only phone in a spot where little hands cannot reach it.

At the time my oldest was just learning how to talk but because of his autism, he would only say numbers or letters. Thankfully nine times out of ten, it was my mother-in-law who was calling and she found it adorable to hear, "One, two, free, four..."

People are too self absorbed to realize there's other people living their lives...or trying to. Last week I'm at a store, and this old guy's in big trouble, white as a ghost, sweat pouring off him, shaking uncontrollably, can't speak..looks like he's having a stroke, especially when I ask him his name and where he lives AND HE CAN"T ANSWER ME. I try to sit him down in a handicapped scooter, he winds up almost falling into it, and people are huffing puffing and one stupid old bitch asks ARE THESE FREE..I told her YEAH, and under my breath go stick it....store employees? in plain sight? nothing..I'm on my own. I go through what I learned with Diane, basic CPR training, and finally he's coming around...I help him into a wheelchair, and wheel him out the store, more bitching and moaning because we're too slow and in the way.....and he finally starts speaking again, telling me hes ok and where he lives. I help him into his Chevy pickup and he thanks me for his help.

People are assholes!

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 30 2011, 02:55 AM)
You guys wanna see why Americans have a reputation in other countries as being ill-mannered pigs? Go to Costco, or any other warehouse buying club, on a weekend during Free Sample time. I've quit going on Saturday afternoons because it's disgusting.

People block aisles hanging out waiting for the meatballs mini quiches or whatever to finish cooking. They will not hesitate to ram someone with their cart to get to the front of the line. Then they grab, grab grab as many as they can without so much as thanking the sample lady.

The last time I went on a Saturday - and it was this incident that made me say, "That's it. No more" - someone was cooking hamburgers and cutting them into quarters for samples. One woman practically draped her muffin-topped self over the sample stand as she waited. Then she grabbed nearly all of them, cradling the extras against her body with one arm whilst using the other hand to alternately stuff her face and motion frantically to her companions to come share in her bounty.

It's like a freaking zoo at feeding time and I just can't watch it anymore.

Funnily (or sadly), this is just a very small piece of why many other nations think of Americans as ill-mannered pigs.

What grinds my gears also is when you get a jogger coming your way and you move aside to let him pass, and... he just goes right past you without a plance or a word of thanks. I had this earlier, and I just yelled out: "That's alright, love, don't mind me!" He never even reacted.

Also, a short while ago, I gave a friendly wave to one of my neighbors and she responded with a two-fingered salute. I couldn't believe it.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jul 30 2011, 12:39 AM)
My generation is HORRIBLE about respect and common courtesy. I think we sometimes underestimate the effect that music has on the minds and attitudes of kids. Just look at rap. What is that teaching kids? I

It's cool to disrespect your parents.
It's cool to use women then throw them away like trash.
Drugs are fine and not bad for you.
Alcohol is okay at any age.

Are these the kinds of things you want your kids to be learning, absorbing, and regurgitating?

i think my head just exploded from ignorance overload.

re: phones, it was rude at first when it was just the few show-offs who had texting plans and wanted the whole world to know, but now it's universal enough that it slowly starts to matter less and less. I imagine in another 40-50 years it'll be considered creepy if you don't have your nose buried in your phone all the time (if it's not already considered "something that old people do" by then as young habits make way for even newer technology). customs change along with technology -- remember when a telephone call was considered a rude, impersonal method of communication?

exactly.

on the whole though, people are generally only rude if you expect them to be and treat them as such. There will always be a few total assholes in the world, but that's their own temperament and it's always been that way. general rudeness is a self-feeding cycle -- you say hi to one person who's in a lousy mood and they tell you to f**k off, so your brain conditions itself not to do that any more, and you become less likely to offer a smile and a wave. as a result, other people perceive you as being more self-involved and rude, and they have the same reaction that you had to the last person who didn't wave back to you. and, quite honestly, i think it's rude to pick apart everyone else's behavior and complain about every litte thing that irritates you. maybe you're the one who needs to adjust your outlook.

if anyone thinks this post is rude, well you can kindly shove it up your ass smile.gif (it's the smile that counts, right?)

Edited by fledgehog

QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Jul 31 2011, 07:50 PM)
Why do people have to assume all younger people in this generation have bad manners? It's not right to make generalizations like that.

it's even dumber when young people THEMSELVES complain about how "young people have no manners".

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jul 31 2011, 12:58 PM)
What grinds my gears also is when you get a jogger coming your way and you move aside to let him pass, and... he just goes right past you without a plance or a word of thanks. I had this earlier, and I just yelled out: "That's alright, love, don't mind me!" He never even reacted.

Also, a short while ago, I gave a friendly wave to one of my neighbors and she responded with a two-fingered salute. I couldn't believe it.

what is a two-fingered salute?