Where did you meet that TRFer?

JohnnyBlaze

QUOTE (Pags @ Jul 20 2011, 02:12 PM)
I've never met anyone from TRF, have never done anything with anyone from TRF, and don't have any pictures to share. Sorry.

SO, that picture I have of you from Sept '10 Time Machine Tour PNC with a sticker on your shorts...figment of my imagination?

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 21 2011, 03:39 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 20 2011, 06:41 AM)
--inspired by ILSnwdog's thread "What have you learned"--
Share photos if you have some. Or just share (or reshare) your stories.

Here I go...

December 2006, NYC: First real encounter with anyone off TRF involved the mighty tick and even mightier (or at least milkier) Slackabob. I actually met them on a dark empty street as they had been looking for me. For some reason we ended up driving to Slack's buddy's crib in Jersey. Many beers, a lot of singing and stories, good people, great times.  trink39.gif
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/IMG_6328.jpg

September 2007, Toronto: Lifeson's Orbit Room, Steam Whistle Brewery, a worthy Rush tribute band, and several late night eats all sandwiched between 2 Snakes & Arrows gigs served as the backdrop in meeting a slew of TRFers which included Barney "Would you.." Rebel, signals1982, Rolinda Bonz, Liz, YaYaBigTree, Lady April, Sark, Bastille Dave, and my few day roommate, the ever-charming ladirushfan80. If I forgot anyone, I blame it on alcohol amnesia and giant pizza overload. I don't have any pics but surely dozens are floating in cybersea. Rush is only better with Rushmates.  trink39.gif

July 1970, Hung Lo Wang Monastery, Shandong Province, China: treeduck (then a bald, bloated beast that went by "oaktreeduck") and I sought enlightenment from Shaolin Kung Fu masters. Nobody told us that enlightenment came at the price of daily beatings and meager bowls of rice for a thousand days. We were promptly excommunicated after getting caught stealing from Master Po's not-so-secret stash. The traumatic experience led to him dropping the "oak" in his name, weight loss of over 100 kilos, and 2 meters of head hair growth.  cool10.gif

February 1982, San Francisco Bay area: caught Rushhead666 in the bathroom of a tatoo parlor snorting lines of crushed 8-tracks of Motorhead and Aldo Nova.  1022.gif

January 1991, Day's Inn conference room outside Atlanta: It was Mara's first Egg-Hater's Anonymous (EHA for short) meeting, and my tenth. Iron-jawed and resolute, she proclaimed, "My name's Mara. And I really hate the living shit out of eggs!" Group, "Hello Mara!"  bekloppt.gif

October 1996, Boston Mental Health Facility: I was a mental health worker, rushgoober was a client having hallucinations of late 1960's Slovakian psychedelic pop artists dancing in pink leotards. He hasn't changed much.  wacko.gif

May 2000, Seattle: At an international food festival outside Pike Place Market, I saw a bare-assed Janie trying to decide whether to try the deep-fried Vietnamese spring rolls or the Indian seafood curry. Apparently, she had just finished running a fully nude full marathon and was famished. I advised her to stay away from the hot Italian sausage section because it'd give some guys the wrong impression. She sprinted over there in 2 seconds flat.  common001.gif

August 2008, mom-and-pop bookshop in Tampa: I was looking through 1970s back issues of The Incredible Hulk. Ancient Ways was checking out lingerie mags of volcanically-hot actresses and muttering something about an Alba Johansson sandwich.  drool1.gif

trink38.gif

EPIC POST!

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif 1022.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

cool10.gif cool10.gif trink39.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif

trink39.gif

Very cool pics and stories in here. 1022.gif

I wouldn't mind hearing some unreal stories too. popcorn.gif

trink38.gif

I have met a lot of TRF members. More then I dare to recount for fear of forgetting anyone.

I even met Pags even though he was in a drug induced coma at the time so he doesn't remember.

That guy Johnny Blaze can pack away the booze for a middle aged guy who looks 15.

atickhum.gif

• Like 1

Edited by Pags

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 21 2011, 01:03 PM)
I have met a lot of TRF members. More then I dare to recount for fear of forgetting anyone.

I even met Pags even though he was in a drug induced coma at the time so he doesn't remember.

That guy Johnny Blaze can pack away the booze for a middle aged guy who looks 15.

atickhum.gif

That was one helluva coma. tongue.gif

• Like 1

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 22 2011, 02:03 AM)

atickhum.gif

rofl3.gif

What're you talking about man? I only drank half a cup of the extremely light light beer and was tipsy afterwards. tongue.gif

Thanks about '15'...haven't been told I looked 15 since I was 27. laugh.gif

• Like 1

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/paganoman/Pagscon/pagscon055a.jpg

This is one of my favorite pics. From the tailgate party before the Rush concert at PNC Arts Center in New Jersey - nearing the end of the amazing Pagscon, 2007 weekend.

From left to right:

Myself

Met him at birth.

CeeJ (standing)

The first time I met CeeJ was in Tick's backyard. I knew in an instant that she was an incredibly special person - and that if my wife would ever meet her they would become instantly bonded. I was right.

Owlswing (Mrs. Pags)

First time I met Owlswing, she hated me - but at least she thought of me. It wasn't until years later that... wub.gif

Slacker (seated in van, with hat and sunglasses)

First time I met Slacker was when he answered his front door. I met him, Tick, and Necro there for a kick ass night in Rockaway, NY. I hope everyone in the world gets to meet Slacker at least once in their lifetime. Your life will be forever changed. He's just that awesome.

Geds (knealing in forefront)

The first time I met Geds was when he came to New York and we met up in Manhattan on what was probably one of the coldest nights of the year in February. A KILLER night, that was. I really like this guy a lot and miss getting to pal around with him.

GG (seated in center of van)

The first time I met GG was when she arrived at our home with her son for Pagscon, 2007. She is so kind, and instantly you wished she and her family lived up the street from us so she could be around all the time.

1-0-0-1-0-0-1 (seated in van with white hat)

The first time I met 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 was when he arrived at our home for Pagscon, 2007. If you think he's a great guy on this board, you're right. But that's nothing compared to the guy I got to know off this board.

Necromancer (knealing with black shirt)

The first time I met Necro was on Slacker's back deck, before heading out to the bar. What a night. And what a great friend he has become, as well. I love this guy.

Ladirushfan80 (far right)

The first time I met Ladi was that same February evening when it was freezing in NY. It was such a memorable night for everyone. Ladi is just the coolest. And she kicks ass. Literally. Took Necro down for the count on Coney Island beach. yes.gif

I can't believe this picture is from 4 years ago already. sad.gif

edited to correct horrible spelling.

Edited by Pags
  • Like 1

QUOTE (Pags @ Jul 21 2011, 10:52 PM)

This is one of my favorite pics. From the tailgate party before the Rush concert at PNC Arts Center in New Jersey - nearing the end of the amazing Pagscon, 2007 weekend.

From left to right:

Myself
Met him at birth.

CeeJ (standing)
The first time I met CeeJ was in Tick's backyard. I knew in an instant that she was an incredibly special person - and that if my wife would ever meet her they would become instantly bonded. I was right.

Owlswing (Mrs. Pags)
First time I met Owlswing, she hated me - but at least she thought of me. It wasn't until years later that... wub.gif

First time I met Slacker was when he answered his front door. I met him, Tick, and Necro there for a kick ass night in Rockaway, NY. I hope everyone in the world gets to meet Slacker at least once in their lifetime. Your life will be forever changed. He's just that awesome.

The first time I met Geds was when he came to New York and we met up in Manhattan on what was probably one of the coldest nights of the year in February. A KILLER night, that was. I really like this guy a lot and miss getting to pal around with him.

The first time I met GG was when she arrived at our home with her son for Pagscon, 2007. She is so kind, and instantly you wished she and her family lived up the street from us so she could be around all the time.

The first time I met 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 was when he arrived at our home for Pagscon, 2007. If you think he's a great guy on this board, you're right. But that's nothing compared to the guy I got to know off this board.

The first time I met Necro was on Slacker's back deck, before heading out to the bar. What a night. And what a great friend he has become, as well. I love this guy.

The first time I met Ladi was that same February evening when it was freezing in NY. It was such a memorable night for everyone. Ladi is just the coolest. And she kicks ass. Literally. Took Necro down for the count on Coney Island beach. yes.gif

Sure, pick a picture without me in it! angry.gif

atickhum.gif bacon.gif

March 1984, S.E.R.E (Survival Evasion Resistance Escape) conference, Siberia: Jack Aubrey was giving a lecture titled,"How to perform an emergency tracheotomy with a belt buckle and a firm grip" when I interrupted him to inquire about the best secondary weapon to have when engaging multiple zombies. He paused for a second, smiled as a father does to a child that's asking about the existence of Santa Claus, then continued his lecture.

November 1997, somewhere in North America: Lost on a road trip across the U.S., I stumbled into a diner with the intention to ask for directions. To my great surprise the place was holding its bi-weekly Star Trek convention. USB Connector greeted me in Klingonese. Dumbfounded, I walked back to my car, said to myself,"I knew I should've taken a left turn at Albuquerque", then drove off.

August 2004, American Midwest, post-R30 show: After witnessing yet another spectacular Rush performance, I was in search of munchies. Luckily, down the street from the arena was a pizza place. The place was empty except for 2 guys and a girl in one of the booths. As I sat at the table next to them, I noticed the joint was decorated with portraits of Ryan Reynolds. "WTF is that about?!" I thought. Since the restaurant appeared devoid of staff and other customers, I was able to hear everything the 3 were saying. This is what went down...

1001001: The boys were really on their game tonight!

Ghostgirl: Yeah! And Neil is as sexy as ever!

RushRevisited: eyesre4.gif Right. Listen, What do you guys think about starting a website for Rush fans?

1001001: Been done before.

RushRevisted: But not by us!

Ghostgirl: True. And with the 3 of us acting as administrators plus a handful of strong-arm moderators, we can have it be fun while keeping out potential troublemakers.

RushRevisited: Hmm...

1001001: I like it.

Ghostgirl: What would we call it?

RushRevisited: How about....THE...

1001001: ...RUSH...

Ghostgirl: ...FORUM!!

JohnnyBlaze: It's crap.

Ghostgirl: angry.gif Who the hell asked you?!

JohnnyBlaze: Sorry, couldn't help but overhear. Just trying to help.

1001001: Well, until we ask for your help, you keep your piehole shut!

JohnnyBlaze: Man, you're going to make a GREAT admin.

RushRevisited: sarcasm.gif Wise-ass.

JohnnyBlaze: Anyways, seeing that there's no waiter in this place, I guess I'm outta here. Good luck with your "Rush Fandom" website.

Ghostgirl: angry.gif That's "THE..RUSH..FORUM!!!"

JohnnyBlaze: Yeah...that. See 'ya in the funny pages. bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jul 20 2011, 08:09 AM)
I've only met up with one TRFer. Over the last three years, Workingcinderellaman and myself have grown to become very good friends. As a matter of fact, I asked Grant to be my youngest daughter's Godfather.

Grant and I have gotten together 4 times since we have gotten to know each other. The first time, he invited me out to do a little skiing on the Utah slopes. I hadn't skied in probably 20+ years, and the skiing I had done was on the mole hills in Wisconsin. I didn't die, and had a great time.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t246/ILsnwdog/parkcity1.jpg

Then the next April, Grant came out to Chicago, and I took him to his first professional baseball game.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t246/ILsnwdog/CIMG2112-2.jpg

Then last summer, the family and I took a trip out to Salt Lake and hung out with Grant's family. It was awesome. We went water skiing, rode ATVs up in the mountains, and even hit a zip line.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t246/ILsnwdog/zipline.jpg
I have more pictures from that trip, but I think they are on my computer at home.

Then last month, Grant and his wife came out for Keira's baptism. We took them downtown and gave them the tour. Unfortunately, I don't have any of those pictures available. I bet Grant does though.

I'm really want to put together a Chicago meet up some time. I'd like to get together with Blackhawkrush, Mr. Krinkle (he literally lives a couple of miles from me), and maybe Lost In Xanadu (Milwaukee is only an hour away) together.

If that ain't Park City I'll eat my hat.

QUOTE (Pags @ Jul 22 2011, 11:52 AM)

From left to right:

Myself
Met him at birth.

CeeJ (standing)

Owlswing (Mrs. Pags)

4 years ago...wow. But, in a way, it seems more like 10.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jul 22 2011, 02:00 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Jul 20 2011, 01:55 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jul 20 2011, 04:26 PM)
I've never met anyone. sad.gif

Neither have I... sad.gif

WOW! Same!

There are so many of us... ohmy.gif

Then, make it up. That's exactly why I made the thread "Real and Unreal." Use your imagination. trink38.gif

We met Rushchick10 at the meetup at the Red Robin before the Hershey show this spring, and found out later that ericplayzbass was behind us as we were going into the show. He recognized my hoodie with Rush lyrics all over it from a pic I used to have in my sig, and was going to say hi, but we got separated in the crowd.

Met a number of RIAB'ers at that show too - A-CELL-OF-AWARENESS, LanceTheShred, Digital Rivendell, PetieLee, and a bunch of people from Facebook.

Edited by Pags