Classic Debut Metal Album Debate: 1983-1984

RUSHHEAD666

Which Debut Metal Album Do You Headbang Harder Too?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which Debut Metal Album Do You Headbang Harder Too?

• Savatage "Sirens" 1983
    • Metal Church S/T 1984

Both of these albums are metal classics and they should be in all of your collections!!! If not get them now!! They are still in print and they will explode your headbanging skull!!

Right now I am cranking the first Metal Church album. It truly is a metal masterpiece.

Up next is my favorite Savatage album entitled "Sirens" of course.

I love both of these albums! If I had to choose though I would have to go with "Sirens!"

R.I.P. Criss Oliva 1022.gif

I know you love stories. Savatage is from the Tampa area. I saw them plenty of times in local spots with the best gig being a Halloween show at Busch Gardens. I also ran into the Olivas plenty back in the day especially Jon since he was known to hang around music stores and was friendly. I work for the same company that Jon and Criss' brother Tony works at currently. Tony's son (Criss) also works with me. Nice bunch of guys and a small world, eh?

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 14 2011, 08:38 PM)
I know you love stories. Savatage is from the Tampa area. I saw them plenty of times in local spots with the best gig being a Halloween show at Busch Gardens. I also ran into the Olivas plenty back in the day especially Jon since he was known to hang around music stores and was friendly. I work for the same company that Jon and Criss' brother Tony works at currently. Tony's son (Criss) also works with me. Nice bunch of guys and a small world, eh?

Ways! You know me very well! I do love stories and you told a great one!

Thanks for the memories!

Savatage was such a great band. I wish they kept the flame burning but John has his own gig "Pain." Also the TSO project is quite successful.

To me "Sirens" is one of the greatest metal albums in the world.

The masses tend to flock to their later work like the epic album "Hall Of The Mountain King."

Many love the "Streets" cd too.

I find it interesting to note that Savatage went from a satanic vibe to a more Christian ideology as they progressed both musically and successfully.

"City Beneath The Surface" to "Jesus Saves."

Even the TSO group is based on the Christmas Holiday.

At the end of the day religion has nothing to do with it.

Anything that has something to do with the roots of Savatage is ok in my book.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 15 2011, 01:54 AM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 14 2011, 08:38 PM)
I know you love stories.  Savatage is from the Tampa area.  I saw them plenty of times in local spots with the best gig being a Halloween show at Busch Gardens.  I also ran into the Olivas plenty back in the day especially Jon since he was known to hang around music stores and was friendly.  I work for the same company that Jon and Criss' brother Tony works at currently.  Tony's son (Criss) also works with me.  Nice bunch of guys and a small world, eh?

Ways! You know me very well! I do love stories and you told a great one!

Thanks for the memories!

Savatage was such a great band. I wish they kept the flame burning but John has his own gig "Pain." Also the TSO project is quite successful.

To me "Sirens" is one of the greatest metal albums in the world.

The masses tend to flock to their later work like the epic album "Hall Of The Mountain King."

I find it interesting to note that Savatage went from a satanic vibe to a more Christian ideology as they progressed both musically and successfully.

"City Beneath The Surface" to "Jesus Saves."

Even the TSO group is based on the Christmas Holiday.

At the end of the day religion has nothing to do with it.

Anything that has something to do with the roots of Savatage is ok in my book.

Cool. I tend to view things in a pragmatic manner. I don't necessarily associate darker subject matter with satanism or the other side with Christianity. Sometimes artists like to investigate different subjects (unfortunately, some can't let it go and move on like a certain NEP). I can check but I think TSO does the christmas music primarily because they loved a lot of the classical music based on those themes.

Gotta go with Metal Church here.

Even though I like Savatage a lot. They didn't become the Savatage I know and love until Hall Of The Mountian King.

Metal Church on the other hand was always Metal f*ckin Church from the start wink.gif

Edited by J2112YYZ

I love those first 2 Metal Church albums, and also "Blessing In Disguise" as well. That first album is one of my favorite metal debut's from the awesome 80's.

signed,

The "HITMAN!!! ph34r.gif dazed025.gif

Edited by Bastille Dave

M.C.

Ah, yes. Metal Church, our local boys. They were a big deal in high school. Them and Queensryche. Proof that we could kick out some world-class metal. Saw them live in '92 at the Gorge.

1022.gif

QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Jul 17 2011, 12:09 PM)
Ah, yes. Metal Church, our local boys. They were a big deal in high school. Them and Queensryche. Proof that we could kick out some world-class metal. Saw them live in '92 at the Gorge.

1022.gif

You lucky bastid. Your metal memories always make me jealous.

Fuckking Savatage from Tampa. Lots of love to that band too.

Never saw either of these bands live.

Maybe I should at least take the wife and kids to a TSO show this Dead Winter Dead.

Never seen TSO.

Should I?

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 15 2011, 12:54 AM)

yes.gif

That would be me. Loved Hall. Then they came out with Gutter Ballet which I found to be a disappointment. Almost did not pick up Streets but gave it a shot. Loved it even more than Hall. I remember that I listened to it almost every night for months on end. Still really like the album.

My vote went to Sirens which I liked. But its not Hall or Streets. Guess I am just one of the masses.

Metal Church just never caught on with me.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 18 2011, 01:26 AM)
QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Jul 17 2011, 12:09 PM)
Ah, yes.  Metal Church, our local boys.  They were a big deal in high school.  Them and Queensryche.  Proof that we could kick out some world-class metal.  Saw them live in '92 at the Gorge.

1022.gif

You lucky bastid. Your metal memories always make me jealous.

Fuckking Savatage from Tampa. Lots of love to that band too.

Never saw either of these bands live.

Maybe I should at least take the wife and kids to a TSO show this Dead Winter Dead.

Never seen TSO.

Should I?

I saw TSO in December and it was good. If you like a good show and don't mind mixing genres you'll like it. They also do non-Christmas tours and I hear they do some Savatage songs. Zak stevens, the former savatage vocalist, has a band called Circle to Circle that is decent as well.

I listened to the first album agian yesterday . Great stuff

Jon Oliva's other project (Jon Oliva's Pain) did its only show in for current tour in US (they are mostly doing Europe) in Tampa last night. The show was to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the release of The Hall of The Mountain King which they played in its entirety for the first time ever. They also had a nice fundraiser for the family of the recently deceased guitarist Matt LaPorte. Jon sounded fantastic. Highlight for me was Sirens from their first album.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jun 17 2012, 08:56 AM)
Jon Oliva's other project (Jon Oliva's Pain) did its only show in for current tour in US (they are mostly doing Europe) in Tampa last night. The show was to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the release of The Hall of The Mountain King which they played in its entirety for the first time ever. They also had a nice fundraiser for the family of the recently deceased guitarist Matt LaPorte. Jon sounded fantastic. Highlight for me was Sirens from their first album.

Holy Shit Ways!!!! You are soooooooo lucky!!!!!!!!!

I love Oliva's Pain! I have all of their albums!!!

You got to hear "Sirens" live in 2012???????

Incredible!!!!

Savatage and Metal Church are two of the greatest metal bands ever!!!!

Hey have you and Ozzy and Metaldad ever heard of a band called OZ?

Check out the album "Fire In The Brain."

Delicious Metal for the ears!!!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 18 2012, 12:45 AM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jun 17 2012, 08:56 AM)
Jon Oliva's other project (Jon Oliva's Pain) did its only show in for current tour in US (they are mostly doing Europe) in Tampa last night.  The show was to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the release of The Hall of The Mountain King which they played in its entirety for the first time ever.  They also had a nice fundraiser for the family of the recently deceased guitarist Matt LaPorte.  Jon sounded fantastic.  Highlight for me was Sirens from their first album.

Holy Shit Ways!!!! You are soooooooo lucky!!!!!!!!!

I love Oliva's Pain! I have all of their albums!!!

You got to hear "Sirens" live in 2012???????

Incredible!!!!

Savatage and Metal Church are two of the greatest metal bands ever!!!!

Hey have you and Ozzy and Metaldad ever heard of a band called OZ?

Check out the album "Fire In The Brain."

Delicious Metal for the ears!!!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

What do you think of the Savatage album Alex Skolnick played on Earl?

trink36.gif

Neither, never heard of this shite. No GnR? No Warrant? No Whitesnake? No Poison? No Trixter?

http://www.muslimsandtheworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Which-Turd-do-you-Prefer1.jpg

So hard to choose...

• Like 1