Grace Under Pressure?

micgtr71

I have seen every tour since Power Windows and I have noticed something. Rush does not play much from P/G. In the last 25 years, I have seen Distant Early Warning, Red Sector A, Between the Wheels and about ten seconds of Red Lenses. Really, that's only three songs from a killer album. I understand why they don't do Afterimage, but Enemy, Body, and Gloves are all great tunes. Any thoughts on why the lack of representation? Edited by micgtr71

because it's only one of many many studio albums that they have. Don't know if you realize it, but you named half the songs on the album (there are only eight songs, total). This is par for the course with most every album they've done after Moving Pictures. Think about how many songs (in the last ten years or so) that they've played from Signals, HYF, Power Windows, Roll the Bones, etc. I think you'll find the ratio is pretty much the same.

I realize YOU think it's a killer album (for the record, I like it a lot as well), but there are masses of fans out there, each with their different favorites.

I'm with you, though, that I'd love to hear Afterimage and/or Kid Gloves etc., but it's not really surprising to me that they haven't based on what I said above.

Clem

It's a numbers game. Based on the sheer number of albums they've had to pick from on recent tours, they're kind of limited to one song per any album that isn't Moving Pictures or Permanent Waves, particularly if they're devoting a significant amount of time to a current album which is usually the case. Another reason is I think Geddy likes to limit the number of songs where he would be on keyboards for most of it.

But I agree with you that this is one album I wouldn't mind seeing performed in its entirety. Every song on it is amazing!

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 20 2011, 09:55 PM)
Red Lenses is one of the many songs that I would pay A LOT to see played live. wub.gif

yes.gif with Neil's drum solo included in the middle of that song just like the P/G Tour. I'd also add Kid Gloves to that as well

If I'm not wrong, it's one of the very few albums (apart from Hemispheres and MP) of which every single song has been played live already - some only during the GUP tour, but still ...

Wouldn't mind hearing a few of the rarer gems live again, though. Afterimage and Enemy Within are in my Top 5 wishlist for upcoming tours.

I was reading this thread and had the thought that when Clockwork Angels comes out it will be album 20 (if you include Feedback). If they did two songs from every album it would be a three hour show. I think the best you can hope for is one song from Grace Under Pressure each tour.

They should consider doing two or three night shows in each town with different set lists each night on the next tour. While I'm dreaming I would also like a million dollars and ten years of my life back. cool.gif

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jun 20 2011, 07:25 PM)
I have seen every tour since Power Windows and I have noticed something. Rush does not play much from P/G. In the last 25 years, I have seen Distant Early Warning, Red Sector A, Between the Wheels and about ten seconds of Red Lenses. Really, that's only three songs from a killer album. I understand why they don't do Afterimage, but Enemy, Body, and Gloves are all great tunes. Any thoughts on why the lack of representation?

Because the songs are okay, but only "okay."

And others, like the aforementioned "Red Sector A," suck outright.

smilies-8579.png

Seriously, I think it's because the band themselves aren't too fond of the album. Geddy has said that the album, as difficult as it was to make, has too many bad memories associated with it.

yes.gif

Edited by GeddyRulz

grace is a fantastic album.

i wish they'd put songs like subdivisions and a few others that seem to be in every set on the shelf and pull out kid gloves or another grace track...i love subdivsions and limelight, but i'd hope to get a few diff. songs in the next couple tours.

between the wheels is one of my fav. songs. when they pulled it out on R30- i was in 7th heaven.

body electric and the enemy within are gems that need to be played live...soon.

i wonder how much of moving pictures they will play after this tour is over. tom sawyee and YYZ for sure. the rest?

Yeah, I remember Geddy saying that Grace was not up to his expectations - a lot of it having to do with finding a producer to replace Terry and the one they did get disappointed the band. That is why Peter Henderson has not produced another album.

I think Geddy or Alex once said that Grace lacks melody and that it was too engineered which is what Peter Henderson was - an engineer.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 21 2011, 09:14 AM)
QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jun 21 2011, 07:58 AM)
While I'm dreaming I would also like a million dollars and ten years of my life back.  cool.gif

laugh.gif

I would love to hear "The Body Electric" played live! yes.gif

goodpost.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (barchetta90480 @ Jun 21 2011, 04:23 AM)
If I'm not wrong, it's one of the very few albums (apart from Hemispheres and MP) of which every single song has been played live already - some only during the GUP tour, but still ...
Wouldn't mind hearing a few of the rarer gems live again, though. Afterimage and Enemy Within are in my Top 5 wishlist for upcoming tours.

Yes, but the GUP tour was where most of it was played, I wouldn't even count Red Lenses after 84 because all I remember hearing was about 20 seconds. Enemy Within has been on my list since PoW, though.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 21 2011, 08:50 AM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jun 20 2011, 07:25 PM)
I have seen every tour since Power Windows and I have noticed something. Rush does not play much from P/G. In the last 25 years, I have seen Distant Early Warning, Red Sector A, Between the Wheels and about ten seconds of Red Lenses. Really, that's only three songs from a killer album. I understand why they don't do Afterimage, but Enemy, Body, and Gloves are all great tunes. Any thoughts on why the lack of representation?

Because the songs are okay, but only "okay."

And others, like the aforementioned "Red Sector A," suck outright.

smilies-8579.png

Seriously, I think it's because the band themselves aren't too fond of the album. Geddy has said that the album, as difficult as it was to make, has too many bad memories associated with it.

yes.gif

Solid point. Ditto on Red Sector A. Never understood why that was the one that they chose.

Red Sector A is a fantastic song. Alex's guitar work is amazing. The song has a very personal meaning to Geddy.

To each his/her own.

I hope they pull out another deep track from Grace like Afterimage or The Body Electric.

Another vote here for "The Body Electric".

I appreciate that GUP isn't for everyone, coming as it did in the thick of the synth era. However, for me it contains many fine moments. "Afterimage" would always make my top ten list. No, really! yes.gif

Perhaps now that MP has been played in its entirety, the setlist will be mixed up again to freshen things up. At this stage it their careers and with the following they still have, I feel Rush could afford to dig a bit deeper into their repetoire when compiling setlists.

QUOTE (Todem @ Jun 22 2011, 12:28 PM)
Red Sector A is a fantastic song. Alex's guitar work is amazing. The song has a very personal meaning to Geddy.

To each his/her own.

I hope they pull out another deep track from Grace like Afterimage or The Body Electric.

... and lyrics-wise, it's stunning, esp. regarding the links to Geddy's family.

Plus - it's the song that made me a Rush fan. Thus it will forever remain in my Top 5, although I don't mind them giving it a break for a few tours. I wasn't too happy with the choice of BTW instead, but I can very well live with it. A tour without any GUP song shouldn't happen again, yet.

... on the other hand ...

any Rush tour to come will be fine. Even if they choose to play Feedback in its entirety. Who knows how many tours there will still be ...

QUOTE (barchetta90480 @ Jun 22 2011, 03:55 PM)
QUOTE (Todem @ Jun 22 2011, 12:28 PM)

To each his/her own.

... and lyrics-wise, it's stunning, esp. regarding the links to Geddy's family.

Plus - it's the song that made me a Rush fan. Thus it will forever remain in my Top 5, although I don't mind them giving it a break for a few tours. I wasn't too happy with the choice of BTW instead, but I can very well live with it. A tour without any GUP song shouldn't happen again, yet.

... on the other hand ...

any Rush tour to come will be fine. Even if they choose to play Feedback in its entirety. Who knows how many tours there will still be ...

I agree also. RSA is an amazing song. Gives me chills. I'd say that Geddy's vocals in RSA are some of his most emotional.

I think it would be great to hear Afterimage, Kid Gloves, or The Enemy Within on the CA tour. Any one of those would sound great and be a welcome replacement for their more oft-played tunes, IMO. Hell, I'd take any one of them over Tom Sawyer.