One more reason to hate the RRHOF

laughedatbytime

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?ne...53484&gt1=28102

CLEVELAND (AP) -- Lady Gaga made history at last year's MTV Video Music Awards when she turned butcher's cuts into high fashion.

On Thursday, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland unveiled the singer's raw-meat dress to the public.

The dress -- made of layers of Argentinian beef -- was kept in a meat locker, placed in a vat of chemicals and then dried out by taxidermists in California before being transported to the museum.

Hall of Fame spokeswoman Margaret Thresher says the dress took on a "dark, beef-jerky" look while dehydrating, so it was painted to look "fresh" afterward. The entire process took several months to complete.

The dress is being displayed as part of the "Women Who Rock: Vision, Passion, Power" exhibit, which runs until February 2012.

I think she does rock. But not enough to have her freaking dress put on display in the RRHOF.

This is not Gaga's fault. This is THEM being completely ridiculous concerning what is "worthy" of being in the hall. I mean, seriously? A dress? Of meat?

I wouldn't call it making history and I certainly wouldn't call it worthy of preservation. |:

Oh, how the priorities of the music industry have changed...

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jun 16 2011, 08:15 PM)
This is THEM being completely ridiculous concerning what is "worthy" of being in the hall. I mean, seriously? A dress? Of meat?
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jun 16 2011, 09:35 PM)
Mindless pop is part of RRHoF, eh?  Who'd have thought.  Dear God in heaven don't let Rush in or near this joke of an institution.

Sadly, that's the truth. The "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame is a partial misnomer. The "Music Industry" Hall of Fame is actually what it is. By the standard they ACTUALLY use, if the act makes THEM money, it gets in the Hall...therefore Gaga's meat suit is a perfect candidate. And they are welcome to it.

I'm sure that at some point in the future, they'll decide to change the name to 'adjust it's focus to better identify with it's target market' or some other P.R. B.S. Kind of like KFC from Kentucky Fried Chicken or Sugar Crisp to Super Sugar Crisp to Super Golden Crisp to Golden Crisp.

At this point, it's still identified as "Rock and Roll" much the way crappy candy can be labeled "Nutrition Bars". Calling a thing something does not make it so.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jun 16 2011, 09:15 PM)
I think she does rock.

Lady Gaga rocks about as hard as a Conway Twitty concert.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jun 16 2011, 09:35 PM)
Mindless pop is part of RRHoF, eh? Who'd have thought. Dear God in heaven don't let Rush in or near this joke of an institution.

^a million times this

I am a huge Gaga fan, but I don't think she needs to be in the RRHOF. no.gif

Her fashion choices are extreme, but she does have serious talent in the pop industry. I'm not talking Poker Face or Just Dance, either, but her underrated material. People who claim Gaga suck generally have not listened to an entire album, much like those ignorant people who say Rush's only good song is Tom Sawyer. To say she doesn't belong in the RRHOF is true, but only because it's comparing apples to oranges.

QUOTE (doublereeder @ Jun 17 2011, 12:52 AM)
People who claim Gaga suck generally have not listened to an entire album, much like those ignorant people who say Rush's only good song is Tom Sawyer.

Been there, done that - I actually bought her new album, sat down, and listened to it with a completely open mind, without any preconceived notions about her, her fashion choices, or any of that stuff.

I listened to the record, start to finish (plus some bonus tracks), and it really didn't do anything for me at all. It wasn't terrible, but it didn't impress me, either. Believe me, I want to like her music... I really do. In interviews, she sounds very intelligent, but unfortunately, it's not enough for it to automatically make her music better.

(I will concede, however, that "Bloody Mary" is a pretty cool song from the new record, and I also like "Poker Face". Sue me.)

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 16 2011, 09:07 PM)
People who claim Gaga suck generally have not listened to an entire album, much like those ignorant people who say Rush's only good song is Tom Sawyer.

Been there, done that - I actually bought her new album, sat down, and listened to it with a completely open mind, without any preconceived notions about her, her fashion choices, or any of that stuff.

I listened to the record, start to finish (plus some bonus tracks), and it really didn't do anything for me at all. It wasn't terrible, but it didn't impress me, either. Believe me, I want to like her music... I really do. In interviews, she sounds very intelligent, but unfortunately, it's not enough for it to automatically make her music better.

(I will concede, however, that "Bloody Mary" is a pretty cool song from the new record, and I also like "Poker Face". Sue me.)

At least you attempted it, and that's your personal opinion based on the actual music, which I can accept completely. I don't accept those who just hate her just to hate her. It makes no sense. Not everyone will like her, but I find her quite inspiring via interviews and her series of web videos. It might be a girl thing too, because she speaks a lot of about confidence and being who you are.

QUOTE (doublereeder @ Jun 17 2011, 12:26 AM)
It might be a girl thing too, because she speaks a lot of about confidence and being who you are.

If she has so much "confidence", then why does she have to be a freak show to be successful? Why can't she just be herself and rely on her musical "talents"?

Her outrageous costumes and behavior are obviously a gimmick to gain attention and get herself noticed by the Media. If she were to lose all the costumes, would anyone even care about her? I doubt it.

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jun 17 2011, 03:28 PM)
It might be a girl thing too, because she speaks a lot of about confidence and being who you are.

If she has so much "confidence", then why does she have to be a freak show to be successful? Why can't she just be herself and rely on her musical "talents"?

Her outrageous costumes and behavior are obviously a gimmick to gain attention and get herself noticed by the Media. If she were to lose all the costumes, would anyone even care about her? I doubt it.

http://www.fullyarticulated.com/images/kiss_live.jpg

Really guys? Getting worked up about...this? Hell, Madonna is in the f***ing RRHOF and you all make a big deal out of a dress worn by Lady Gaga being on display? Sorry, this just seems so ridiculous to me. I have nothing against them putting it on display, it's their museum. If you don't like it, don't think about it and don't go.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 17 2011, 01:40 AM)

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (Oracle @ Jun 17 2011, 01:44 AM)
If you don't like it, don't think about it and don't go.

That's what everyone will be doing. People will take a few minutes to voice their displeasure, then they'll forget about it and move on. smile.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jun 17 2011, 03:46 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 17 2011, 01:40 AM)

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

Well, in the end, it's all entertainment. And if putting on kabuki face paint and spitting fire or wearing a meat jacket to enhance your popularity works, then go for it. Sometimes with a bit of luck, being outrageous enough might get you into a certain famous hall.

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jun 16 2011, 10:28 PM)

I would. What the public sees and what her true fans see are two way different things. Believe me, back two years ago when she got popular, I thought the same thing. My mind changed, and I see her as completely normal as any other person on the planet. She's got a great heart, and what she does for attention has nothing to do with why I look up to her.

I do not think she belongs in the RRHOF, like stated before, but she definitely shouldn't be looked down upon. Just my personal opinion.

every once in a while it becomes "cool" for people who normally don't listen to pop music to like one of them. It was Justin Timberlake for a while and now it's Lady GaGa.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 16 2011, 11:00 PM)
QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jun 16 2011, 09:15 PM)
I think she does rock.

Lady Gaga rocks about as hard as a Conway Twitty concert.

...You know I meant "rock" as in, not her music, but Gaga herself, right?

Yes, I know, I know, she's not unique in her outrageous outfits at all, etc. etc.. beathorse.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 17 2011, 12:07 AM)

Born This Way (the album) has grown on me but the first couple listens, I was so so about it. I still think The Fame and Fame Monster are better.

Honestly, the whole album is very theatrical for me; as in, I could see these songs as part of a musical (think: Rent/rock opera).

Anyhoo, my general Gaga comments:

For those comments about her dressing like a freak and claiming to be who you want to be? Um, that's who she wants to be. She's not your typical t-shirt and jeans kinda gal...

As for the meat dress, it was disgusting but I thought it was brilliant. I watch the MTV awards (I think that is where she wore it too) and you could see how many other pop starlets were trying to outdo her, outfit wise (Ke$sha wore a trash bag?), to garner attention - then Gaga shows up wearing meat. Win!

In general, I appreciate that she is using pop to spread positive messages and write genuine songs other than "DJ! Turn the music up!" 062802puke_prv.gif

/end