The Official Mike Portnoy Thread

Tick

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 11 2011, 01:25 PM)
do you think that this stuff will be played on corporate rock radio stations?

I doubt it. I don't see who this will appeal to. A bunch of middle aged guys trying to sound young doesn't seem like something that would catch on. When it comes to corporate radio its all about the image, not necessarily the music.

All I can say about the EP is it really didn't excite me all that much. It sounded pretty run of the mill.

Only heard 3 tracks on Youtube.

Although it didn't sound bad, it didn't leave me wanting more.

I'll try and keep an open mind.

All I can say on this lame thread about a short egotistical testicle drummer is that I can't wait to hear JOHN SYKES SHRED AGAIN!!!!

What the hell did Mike do to get John out of the cobwebbed closet to play again? That is the real question.

Everything else is pointless.

Signed,

BLUE MURDER 1287.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Aug 12 2011, 02:29 AM)
All I can say on this lame thread about a short egotistical testicle drummer is that I can't wait to hear JOHN SYKES SHRED AGAIN!!!!
What the hell did Mike do to get John out of the cobwebbed closet to play again? That is the real question.

Signed,

BLUE MURDER 1287.gif

Blue Murder is coming for you!-----------> atickhum.gif

pokey.gif poker2.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif 16ton.gif 16ton.gif 16ton.gif

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Aug 10 2011, 12:57 PM)
QUOTE (greg2112 @ Aug 10 2011, 06:15 AM)
Agree on Psychosane.  What the heck is up with the stupid MF line?  Idiotic and completely contrived...and it ruins probably the best song of a very average bunch of tunes.

First that stupid voice on A Nightmare to Remember, now this. WHY THE PISSFART DOES PORTNOY INSIST ON DOING THAT HORRIBLE VOICE!?? It doesn't make it sound more 'tough' or 'metal'...it just sounds goofy, childish, and awkward

Immature, stupid and childish beyond belief. And people used to say he was going to be the next Neil? rofl3.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 12 2011, 05:22 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Aug 12 2011, 02:29 AM)
What the hell did Mike do to get John out of the cobwebbed closet to play again?  That is the real question.

Signed,

BLUE MURDER  1287.gif

Blue Murder is coming for you!-----------> atickhum.gif

pokey.gif poker2.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif 16ton.gif 16ton.gif 16ton.gif

Oh shit Tick! I just quoted the wrong post! My bad!!

I am all for the Sykes/Portnoy Project!!!!

John Sykes is one of the greatest guitar players in the world.

Personally I think John blows John Petrucci AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

JMO

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif trink39.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (The K Man @ Aug 15 2011, 01:51 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Aug 14 2011, 03:32 PM)

Portnoy is a kick ass drummer, and every bit as good as Neil Peart.

Er, no. Not even close. Portnoy is damn good, but has too many flaws as a drummer.

Danny Carey IMO is better than either. But who cares. This is about MP. Who is a bro. If you live by the bro code, you gotta give him some respect.

Edited by FallTempest

QUOTE (The K Man @ Aug 15 2011, 02:51 PM)

Er, no. Not even close. Portnoy is damn good, but has too many flaws as a drummer.

In your opinion.

Portnoy can play any Rush tune. Ask Neil to play A Nightmare To Remember, not a chance.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 15 2011, 02:47 PM)

Portnoy can play any Rush tune. Ask Neil to play A Nightmare To Remember, not a chance.

Portnoy can't even play A Nightmare to Remember, as his pitiful attempt at doing blast beats even in the studio showed. LOL

And besides, who cares? I am sure Yngwie Malmsteen can play all of David Gilmour's stuff, while Gilmour would struggle to play a lot of Malmsteen's, but that doesn't matter. Unless all you care about is technical skill.

Edited by The K Man

**SIGH**

Hare biggrin.gif

QUOTE (The K Man @ Aug 15 2011, 03:57 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 15 2011, 02:47 PM)

Portnoy can't even play A Nightmare to Remember, as his pitiful attempt at doing blast beats even in the studio showed. LOL

And besides, who cares? I am sure Yngwie Malmsteen can play all of David Gilmour's stuff, while Gilmour would struggle to play a lot of Malmsteen's, but that doesn't matter. Unless all you care about is technical skill.

goodpost.gif

I hate turning music into a competition, and I love both Neil and Mike, but Neil Peart is VASTLY overrated. Portnoy is overrated too to an extent, but Portnoy has maneuvered through time signature mazes with finesse and creative drum parts throughout his career. Neil has some solid parts, but I feel like he has played it too safe with a ton of his parts. His most creative time period was Power Windows-Hold Your Fire, where he got crazy with the electronics.

I bet Neil could play any MP drum part, and I'm sure MP can play any of Neil's parts. But the creation is what's important, and MP has created many more interesting parts than Neil.

This comes from a drummer who grew up loving both of these guys and playing through probably every song in their respective catalogs at one point or another.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Aug 15 2011, 06:07 PM)
I hate turning music into a competition, and I love both Neil and Mike, but Neil Peart is VASTLY overrated. Portnoy is overrated too to an extent, but Portnoy has maneuvered through time signature mazes with finesse and creative drum parts throughout his career. Neil has some solid parts, but I feel like he has played it too safe with a ton of his parts. His most creative time period was Power Windows-Hold Your Fire, where he got crazy with the electronics.

I bet Neil could play any MP drum part, and I'm sure MP can play any of Neil's parts. But the creation is what's important, and MP has created many more interesting parts than Neil.

This comes from a drummer who grew up loving both of these guys and playing through probably every song in their respective catalogs at one point or another.

As much as I am a Peart Homer and not a big fan of the midget Captain Bluebeard, I will say that Mike's double bass work would blow Neil's away!