Rush reference in Rap song

A Farewell to Things

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 12 2011, 08:04 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 13 2011, 08:51 AM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jun 12 2011, 07:44 PM)
What's up with people here and playing the whole "Close-minded" card? Should we pretend we like this crap?

Oops, sorry eyesre4.gif there I go again with my opinions and such..

the fact that you don't understand further proves your closed-mindedness. The accusations have nothing to do with your opinion, you have every right to dislike rap. It has to do that you present statements like "all rap sucks" as though they are fact. An open-minded person will examine something thoroughly and try to find its merits before passing judgment on it. For example, I hate country music -- always have and always will, but I recognize its artistic values (good storytelling, sincerity, accessibility to its general fanbase, so on and so forth). No one's saying you're not allowed to have opinions. You should just be a little more careful about what you assume and what you're basing it on, and understand that when you're forming an opinion on such a small bank of knowledge, you're basically sending out bright colored, comic sans ms, animated invitations to people with different points of view to prove you wrong.

And you also still haven't explained why it's so important to preach your views so vehemently every opportunity you get. Maybe defenders of the rap genre would leave you alone if you left them alone first.

Don't you think that saying that you hate country and ALWAYS WILL is close-minded? Wouldn't an open-minded person simply say that they've disliked all the country music they've heard [if that is indeed the case] but leave the future of like or dislike open? It seems to me that you're basing your opinions of the present and future of country music based on what you've heard in the past (really, who doesn't do that to some extent?)...which is NOT too different from some of the rap haters you're scolding.

yes, my mistake. Some day i could very well be proven wrong, have a change of taste, etc...if you have some piece of country music that you think I would enjoy, I'd be happy to listen to it with no pre-existing biases.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 13 2011, 09:10 AM)
What's up with people here and playing the whole "Close-minded" card? Should we pretend we like this crap?

the fact that you don't understand further proves your closed-mindedness. The accusations have nothing to do with your opinion, you have every right to dislike rap. It has to do that you present statements like "all rap sucks" as though they are fact. An open-minded person will examine something thoroughly and try to find its merits before passing judgment on it. For example, I hate country music -- always have and always will, but I recognize its artistic values (good storytelling, sincerity, accessibility to its general fanbase, so on and so forth). No one's saying you're not allowed to have opinions. You should just be a little more careful about what you assume and what you're basing it on, and understand that when you're forming an opinion on such a small bank of knowledge, you're basically sending out bright colored, comic sans ms, animated invitations to people with different points of view to prove you wrong.

And you also still haven't explained why it's so important to preach your views so vehemently every opportunity you get. Maybe defenders of the rap genre would leave you alone if you left them alone first.

Don't you think that saying that you hate country and ALWAYS WILL is close-minded? Wouldn't an open-minded person simply say that they've disliked all the country music they've heard [if that is indeed the case] but leave the future of like or dislike open? It seems to me that you're basing your opinions of the present and future of country music based on what you've heard in the past (really, who doesn't do that to some extent?)...which is NOT too different from some of the rap haters you're scolding.

yes, my mistake. Some day i could very well be proven wrong, have a change of taste, etc...if you have some piece of country music that you think I would enjoy, I'd be happy to listen to it with no pre-existing biases.

No, I wasn't really defending country music. I just mentioned it because you did. I don't even like country music (unless you include bluegrass) but Hank Williams and Johnny Cash do have their moments.

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jun 12 2011, 08:07 PM)

the fact that you don't understand further proves your closed-mindedness. The accusations have nothing to do with your opinion, you have every right to dislike rap. It has to do that you present statements like "all rap sucks" as though they are fact.
[/quote]
Never did that.

but by calling rap (or this song at least) "this crap", you effectively have.

An open-minded person will examine something thoroughly and try to find its merits before passing judgment on it.  For example, I hate country music -- always have and always will, but I recognize its artistic values (good storytelling, sincerity, accessibility to its general fanbase, so on and so forth).  No one's saying you're not allowed to have opinions.  You should just be a little more careful about what you assume and what you're basing it on, and understand that when you're forming an opinion on such a small bank of knowledge, you're basically sending out bright colored, comic sans ms, animated invitations to people with different points of view to prove you wrong.

I predicted I wouldn't like it, and didn't. Maybe I am close minded and I was already set on disliking the song, or maybe not. You can also check out Silas's post & understand that not everyone's up for giving 23rd chances.

But, in another thread before I did mention that some of Eminem's stuff is good, and some Fort Minor can be too I suppose... Do whatever you'd like with that.

So, you contradicted yourself. What a great addition to your consistent record of credibility.

And you also still haven't explained why it's so important to preach your views so vehemently every opportunity you get.  Maybe defenders of the rap genre would leave you alone if you left them alone first.

>important

It's not, but, congenial or not opinions come out. You know this.

In this thread, most of my posts are for kicks... Especially the Felix one wink.gif

keep the negative opinions in the "rap sucks" threads. This thread was meant to be for discussion of one particular song, and you (as well as everybody else) know that, and only went in on your rap-bashing to provoke people and see how far off-track you could steer the thread.

I saw your argument with Tommy Sawyer in that MOTS thread, and I think you've got a stigma for us playahatas now wink.gif

Nope. I'd argue the same way in any other similar situation that calls for it.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 12 2011, 07:10 PM)

give this classic a listen:

Pussy Whipped Again

To dismiss country is as bad as dismissing rap. in every genre someone is doing it right. yes.gif

Edited by tangy

QUOTE (tangy @ Jun 12 2011, 08:28 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 12 2011, 07:10 PM)

give this classic a listen:

Pussy Whipped Again

To dismiss country is as bad as dismissing rap. in every genre someone is doing it right. yes.gif

banghead.gif

the whole reason i even brought up the example is to show how to dislike a genre without dismissing it. did you even read the part where i told what i think the genre's artistic values are?

QUOTE (J0N @ Jun 12 2011, 06:08 PM)
There's literally no point in trying to change someones bigoted views about music genres on an internet forum, you'll just get frustrated.

Apparently biggrin.gif

But music's a big part of fledgehog's life so it makes sense that he wants everyone to see good in every genre..

Live and let live.

I don't care for rap. Dont own any.

I don't care for country. Dont own any.

But both have rhythms and moods and music that I find interesting at times.

Thanks to OP for posting.. never thought Id hear the N word and Geddy Al and Neil mentioned in the same song.. but there you go smile.gif

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 12 2011, 06:51 PM)

First of all, thank you for acknowledging our right to dislike rap. I consider myself very openminded towards all music and will listen to anything once without any bias, particularly if someone has enthusiastically recommended it. As I mentioned previously (apparently you didn't read that far), I've been exposed to plenty of rap over the past 20+ years through various media outlets, friends and links here on TRF and I've yet to discover much of any musical merit in it. For my own personal taste and judgement only, it's a fact. So I fail to see how I've been closeminded or ignorant towards the genre in that regard. So I'll ask you do I need to thouroughly examine every rap artist out there? I don't believe I'm making narrowminded assumptions and my opinion is based on more than 2 decades of exposure. Is that not good enough for you or do you still have a problem with that?

QUOTE (nealpert @ Jun 12 2011, 10:40 PM)
QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Jun 11 2011, 09:55 AM)
I just really hate it when people put numbers into words like that.  How do you pronounce that?  Enn Nine Neh?

You must hate Deadmou5 too

oh 3at 5hit and D1E! laugh.gif

QUOTE (J0N @ Jun 12 2011, 08:08 PM)
There's literally no point in trying to change someones bigoted views about music genres on an internet forum, you'll just get frustrated.

i love to broaden my musical horizons by listening to rhyming negroes from time to time.

QUOTE (nealpert @ Jun 13 2011, 04:28 AM)

i love to broaden my musical horizons by listening to rhyming negroes from time to time.

God Bless America!

Wow. I can see you guys are having a blast here. Umm, thanks to the guys who said they enjoyed this song?

Really diggin this debate stuff popcorn.gif

QUOTE (nealpert @ Jun 12 2011, 11:28 PM)

We can all see you're trying. You either don't have the guts or the intellect to be all that you can be.

QUOTE (nealpert @ Jun 13 2011, 09:32 AM)
http://www.zgeek.com/forum/gallery/files/1/6/9/9/8/kkk.jpg

c'mon lighten up

wash the sand from your vagina

nothing i say here is serious. except for this being Rush's final tour.

I realized that about you a while ago. Still, there are certain things you don't joke about in mixed company. People usually learn that once they enter adulthood. Did you skip that step?