terrible vocals on ohio show!!!!

reani14

QUOTE (ioc @ Jun 10 2011, 04:22 PM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jun 10 2011, 02:48 PM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 10 2011, 03:28 PM)
He can change up the vocal melody like he does in Bangkok, and on the first show of S&A Circumstances. Granted he was over the place, but it seemed to work for him.

I'll tell ya what's was all over the place- my bowel movements. Know what worked for me? Imodium and a plug old.gif

Hey, guy: have you weighed in on this poll yet? How Do You Wipe? http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Disgusting/toilet-5.gif

Oh I don't use those fancy shmancy ultra soft 3 ply crap napkins you young people use these days. I use tree bark! By gum, it was good enough for my grandpappy and it's good enough for me! Really cleans ya up old.gif

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jun 10 2011, 04:41 PM)
He can change up the vocal melody like he does in Bangkok, and on the first show of S&A Circumstances. Granted he was over the place, but it seemed to work for him.

I'll tell ya what's was all over the place- my bowel movements. Know what worked for me? Imodium and a plug old.gif

Hey, guy: have you weighed in on this poll yet? How Do You Wipe? http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Disgusting/toilet-5.gif

Oh I don't use those fancy shmancy ultra soft 3 ply crap napkins you young people use these days. I use tree bark! By gum, it was good enough for my grandpappy and it's good enough for me! Really cleans ya up old.gif

Leaves ya maple fresh, doesn't it!

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jun 10 2011, 04:51 PM)

This is true, although I hate it when there is still dad gum poison ivy attached to it. It creates a powerful itch old.gif

He can't sing like he once did, get over it cool10.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jun 10 2011, 04:03 PM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jun 10 2011, 04:51 PM)

This is true, although I hate it when there is still dad gum poison ivy attached to it. It creates a powerful itch old.gif

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

QUOTE (tel @ Jun 10 2011, 01:13 PM)
sang great in manchester confused13.gif especially on freewill

Hard for some to distinguish between good and bad singing. Seems like most people who are singers think he's terrible live, and people that dont sing think he's as good as he ever was, then there's some in between that don't even care, hardcore fans who would can't pick out the faults in the band.

I'm aware he's a pretty awful singer now, but when I go see them live I don't care how bad he is. I've been to every tour since Power Windows, and he had never really sounded amazing to me since I didnt start seeing them until after his vocals began to decline, and never once did I care.

Only time it bugs me is when I hear modern live recordings like R30 for example. That's when I really notice how much he's struggling.

He is singing very low on the new songs, and I think that was a good move. Even the notes that might sound high arent actually very high at all since everything around them is so low. Best decision he made in a long time. Sing very low, no shame in that Ged. They'll sound better live too since they are within your comfortable range. I cannot stand singers that push too hard outside their range, and Geddy has done this for so long, but like I said when you have all those DBs punishing your ears, you don't really care as much.

All I know is I wish I was at this show Terrible vocals or not. He was fine in VA, and the end of the TM Tour and the begining of the 2nd leg here in South Florida.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 10 2011, 07:10 PM)
QUOTE (tel @ Jun 10 2011, 01:13 PM)
sang great in manchester confused13.gif especially on freewill

Hard for some to distinguish between good and bad singing. Seems like most people who are singers think he's terrible live, and people that dont sing think he's as good as he ever was, then there's some in between that don't even care, hardcore fans who would can't pick out the faults in the band.

I'm aware he's a pretty awful singer now, but when I go see them live I don't care how bad he is. I've been to every tour since Power Windows, and he had never really sounded amazing to me since I didnt start seeing them until after his vocals began to decline, and never once did I care.

Only time it bugs me is when I hear modern live recordings like R30 for example. That's when I really notice how much he's struggling.

He is singing very low on the new songs, and I think that was a good move. Even the notes that might sound high arent actually very high at all since everything around them is so low. Best decision he made in a long time. Sing very low, no shame in that Ged. They'll sound better live too since they are within your comfortable range. I cannot stand singers that push too hard outside their range, and Geddy has done this for so long, but like I said when you have all those DBs punishing your ears, you don't really care as much.

I agree on the last part. Also, it fits well too with the musical direction they are taking. I don't blame anyone to sing in a range that isn't comfortable for him or her. Like I said before in an earlier post, Geddy set a standard for those high notes back in the day, and because of that, he sometimes has a hard time meeting that standard today. I give him all the credit in the world for that effort.

Still, in regards to those who say he can't hit the high notes, and in my opinion, he seems to handle it pretty well here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OK-mswvnmQ...elated#t=04m19s

Honestly, I've been watching videos of other classic rock bands, and even back in their heyday, Geddy still outperforms some of them. The band is still touring at their age and giving 110% effort as they always do. I think we Rush fans are a bit spoiled, and some overlook that opportunity that few other rock fans die for. laugh.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 10 2011, 01:09 PM)
I think Rush should bring in Adele and make her the long awaited 4th member. She can take over all the singing duties moving forward and Geddy can focus on Slappin' Da Bass man

Keep it Canadian! Avril Lavigne or Chad from Nickelback?

Bieber? He could hit the high notes.... haha

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jun 10 2011, 11:53 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 10 2011, 04:08 PM)
He can't sing like he once did, get over it  cool10.gif

goodpost.gif

I can get past a few cringe inducing spots because this f***ing band is on fire musically like never before!

No kidding! Get the feck over it.

QUOTE (reani14 @ Jun 10 2011, 01:04 PM)
Man, does geddy sound terrible on freewill, hope they touch his vocals up a bit before the dvd comes out.. Go ahead blast me. who cares. the fact is that geddy isnt good live vocally anymore . and this dvd will prove it unless they fix the bad spots.. facts are facts..

i thought we got rid of dumb-ass trollers when cosey toes was banned...

what a moron

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Jun 10 2011, 11:02 PM)

Still, in regards to those who say he can't hit the high notes, and in my opinion, he seems to handle it pretty well here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OK-mswvnmQ...elated#t=04m19s

Honestly, I've been watching videos of other classic rock bands, and even back in their heyday, Geddy still outperforms some of them. The band is still touring at their age and giving 110% effort as they always do. I think we Rush fans are a bit spoiled, and some overlook that opportunity that few other rock fans die for. laugh.gif

goodpost.gif I agree. He's 57! Give the man a break!!

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Jun 11 2011, 01:00 AM)
Just saw them in Greenville. Geddy's voice is doing juuuuuuuust fine.

I agree my friend, greenville was special and most of the vocals were excellent. We all need to remember, very few artists sound as good live as in the studio. Look at Ozzy for example. He is crap without running vocals through a million channels of equalization etc...Geddy still sounds very good live even with his age, not to mention all the multitasking to pull off the songs we love. I embrace every live show, flaws and all because when they are out there they are giving us 100% each and every time. Who cares if he can't hit the ultra highs, I am just thankful to still be able to see my favorite band still putting out such an awesome live show. There will be a certain amount of "fixing" on the DVD but I think the flaws are what make it special.

yes.gif

I find with Geddy's vocals - you can definitely hear his age, but he's still able to do an incredible job. I find he sounds great to watch live (either being there or watching on DVD), but listening to a live CD is a bit more of a sonic challenge to the ears.

This is the double-edged sword of our era of widely recorded live performances. In the 20 Rush gigs I've been to over the last four tours, I remember exactly one real-time moment in which Geddy muffed a vocal so badly that it was noticeable and intrusive in context. When one is actually at the gig, the mix, the volume and the acoustics of the hall combine with the joy and excitement both individual and shared of those in attendance to obscure plenty of mistakes and off moments in the performances both vocal and otherwise. In the cold light of a recording and the vastly different setting in which one experiences it, mistakes are both more noticeable and less forgivable. So, on the one hand, these recordings allow fans to relive their magical concert experiences, but on the other, by their very nature they diminish those experiences. This is especially problematic when people expect too much from these recordings.

Geddy's live vocal performance is still totally credible in context. On recording, it is somewhat less so, but, low quality amateur recordings aside, it is still far from "terrible." I'm looking forward to the official Time Machine recording. I don't expect it to be perfect, but I do expect it to evoke memories of the wonderful times I had going to gigs on the tour. I might be disappointed, but I doubt it.

I believe that released live recordings should be just that "a recording of the live show". I don't think they should be altered to correct mistakes and such. It loses the live-ness of the recording when they overdub