Signals

Yokkov

I bought Signals on vinyl the day it was released. While it had a lot more synth than MP, I didn't think then, and still don't think now, that it overpowered the music. Subdivisions, The Weapon, Losing It and Countdown were all still great tracks. Chemistry stinks, admittedly. And TAK and DM were great guitar, bass and drum songs. I'll take Signals over more than half the band's catalog, truth be told.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was mad for a while, but I got over it and saw the error of my ways.

QUOTE (tangy @ May 27 2011, 09:38 AM)
signals was well received by older fans and the general public. GUP to many was the letdown and many old time fans jumped ship at that point.

its its funny to me know that I did the reverse. it was GUP that broke me on the synths with Between The Wheels, once I broke that seal I started to warm up to it all

My best friend and I got it the day it came out. We rushed (hah) home and played it on his stepdad's awesome system. I remember being a little less than impressed at the end, but we agreed it was quite good. After Hemispheres, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures if just seemed like a let down.

The one thing I still remember is that it seemed to capture the mood of the early 1980s, but there was something about the sound that bugged me. At 17 years of age I didn't know what mixing and mastering actually were.

These days I wouldn't change a thing on it. A remix now would destroy that moment in time. It is one of the few 1997 remasters that sounds really good if you don't have the original vinyl.

Agree completely. It was not a letdown at all, and their popularity stayed at its peak with that album (as evidenced by a completely sold out MSG show that I had the good fortune of attending).

Signals is fantastic. The last golden era Rush album, with GUP being their last great album.

Edited by greg2112

Any album with Rush's best song on it is not a letdown (Subdivisions).

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ May 27 2011, 11:02 AM)
Any album with Rush's best song on it is not a letdown (Subdivisions).

facepalm.gif We all know Tai Shan is their best song. Come on! tongue.gif

When Signals came out I couldn't believe the production - there was nothing wrong with most of the songs in terms of the song-writing, especially the masterpiece which is Subdivisions - but the production...?

I know musically the times they were a'changing but it was hard to see how Signals was released sounding like it did. Maybe it's only saving grace in terms of production was that it didn't sound as bad as ESL, but that's still not good. Like I said, there was nowt wrong with the songs, but I'm not surprised Broon & the boys parted company after Signals.

The only problem now is, after hammering my hearing with 31 years of gigs & 30 years of electric guitar playing, EVERYTHING sounds like Signals !!!

as far as Im concernered there are no RUSH Metal albums.

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ May 28 2011, 07:52 AM)

Then your best friend is Jack, Jack Shit.

How come Rush were a staple of self confessed HEAVY METAL magazine KERRANG! Back when KERRANG! was still good then? Answer me that one sunshine.

And if the Arboreal Anatid says so then it must be true.

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ May 28 2011, 09:04 AM)
QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ May 28 2011, 07:52 AM)

Then your best friend is Jack, Jack Shit.

How come Rush were a staple of self confessed HEAVY METAL magazine KERRANG! Back when KERRANG! was still good then? Answer me that one sunshine.

And if the Arboreal Anatid says so then it must be true.

Aye...

trink38.gif

Cause they were wrong dipshit... Just cause a metal mag used to talk about them doenst mean they're metal. Totally different mindset with RUSH. Critics and media doesnt always know how to classify things too. Ive often heard GnR referred to as metal, Zeppelin, etc

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ May 28 2011, 01:52 PM)
Cause they were wrong dipshit... Just cause a metal mag used to talk about them doenst mean they're metal. Totally different mindset with RUSH. Critics and media doesnt always know how to classify things too. Ive often heard GnR referred to as metal, Zeppelin, etc

You're scared of metal, that's your problem, don't be scared mate, don't be scared of the dark side, embrace it...

ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 28 2011, 01:56 PM)
QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ May 28 2011, 01:52 PM)

You're scared of metal, that's your problem, don't be scared mate, don't be scared of the dark side, embrace it...

ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

yeah real scared...

no Ive just worked in the metal/rock scene since around 84, sorry if I have some perspective.

Metal:

Maiden

Priest

Slayer

Sabbath(Master Of Reality kinda is the kick off there)

Metallicass

Megadeth

etc

Heavy/hard/Rock:

Zeppelin

RUSH

GnR(Axl sucks)

Aerosmith

Deep Purple

etc