Signals

Yokkov

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ May 28 2011, 02:04 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 28 2011, 01:56 PM)
QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ May 28 2011, 01:52 PM)
Cause they were wrong dipshit... Just cause a metal mag used to talk about them doenst mean they're metal. Totally different mindset with RUSH. Critics and media doesnt always know how to classify things too. Ive often heard GnR referred to as metal, Zeppelin, etc

You're scared of metal, that's your problem, don't be scared mate, don't be scared of the dark side, embrace it...

ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

yeah real scared...

no Ive just worked in the metal/rock scene since around 84, sorry if I have some perspective.

Metal:

Maiden

Priest

Slayer

Sabbath(Master Of Reality kinda is the kick off there)

Metallicass

Megadeth

etc

Heavy/hard/Rock:

Zeppelin

RUSH

GnR(Axl sucks)

Aerosmith

Deep Purple

etc

Now you're trying to prove to me with menaingless lists that you're not scared of metal...

laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 28 2011, 02:05 PM)
Cause they were wrong dipshit... Just cause a metal mag used to talk about them doenst mean they're metal. Totally different mindset with RUSH. Critics and media doesnt always know how to classify things too. Ive often heard GnR referred to as metal, Zeppelin, etc

You're scared of metal, that's your problem, don't be scared mate, don't be scared of the dark side, embrace it...

yeah real scared...

no Ive just worked in the metal/rock scene since around 84, sorry if I have some perspective.

Now you're trying to prove to me with menaingless lists that you're not scared of metal...

laugh.gif

Just makin my point...

does that make it clearer

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ May 28 2011, 02:14 PM)

yeah real scared...

laugh.gif

Just makin my point...

You need to keep telling yourself that RUSH are not metal, repeat it to yourself at night as you go to sleep like a mantra instead of counting sheep, and maybe in the morning you'll really believe it...

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 28 2011, 02:22 PM)

yeah real scared...

laugh.gif

Just makin my point...

You need to keep telling yourself that RUSH are not metal, repeat it to yourself at night as you go to sleep like a mantra instead of counting sheep, and maybe in the morning you'll really believe it...

biggrin.gif

and make sure totos safe click yer heels 3 times and say RUSH was never Metal and maybe it might sink in. Stop watching VH1...they dont know what theyre are talking about half the time

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ May 28 2011, 02:26 PM)

yeah real scared...

laugh.gif

Just makin my point...

biggrin.gif

and make sure totos safe click yer heels 3 times and say RUSH was never Metal and maybe it might sink in. Stop watching VH1...they dont know what theyre are talking about half the time

laugh.gif Aye...

1022.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 28 2011, 02:29 PM)
QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ May 28 2011, 02:26 PM)

yeah real scared...

laugh.gif

Just makin my point...

biggrin.gif

laugh.gif Aye...

1022.gif

SSSSSLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/12536_170721948742_170691943742_2848439_7074767_n.jpg

the (dare I say real wink.gif ) issue is that Rush's 'vibe' from 1975 to 1979 was unequivocally 'metal' (2112 & Hemispheres most uniformly) even though their music was literally and categorically 'hard rock'

the ostentatious presentation of Geddy's vocals live and on record coupled with the almost ridiculous over-the-top virtuoso instrumental showboating tended to align them more with the typical metal conceits (big hair, evangelical frontmen, posturing solos) than the blues-based workmanlike hard rock bands, even though Rush had much more in common (musically and historically) with the latter

and if your still not convinced Rush isn't metal?

consider this: how many times have you seen Geddy throw the horns?

right

i remember signals as very much being awesome and part of the logical transition that the band made with permenant waves - into moving pictures and then signals over that time frame.

i agree with others here that the big jump was made with the release of grace under pressure - i still liked it - but like permenant waves before it - you knew it heralded a new direction

d

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 28 2011, 12:20 PM)
QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ May 28 2011, 09:04 AM)
QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ May 28 2011, 07:52 AM)
as far as Im concernered there are no RUSH Metal albums.

Then your best friend is Jack, Jack Shit.

How come Rush were a staple of self confessed HEAVY METAL magazine KERRANG! Back when KERRANG! was still good then? Answer me that one sunshine.

And if the Arboreal Anatid says so then it must be true.

Aye...

trink38.gif

rush was metal in the 70's and the original fans were a bunch of stoners or as they were referred to locally- burn outs.

the good old days............ cool10.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ May 28 2011, 03:39 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 28 2011, 12:20 PM)

How come Rush were a staple of self confessed HEAVY METAL magazine KERRANG! Back when KERRANG! was still good then? Answer me that one sunshine.

Aye...

trink38.gif

rush was metal in the 70's and the original fans were a bunch of stoners or as they were referred to locally- burn outs.

the good old days............ cool10.gif

cool10.gif

trink38.gif

you can make an argument for 2112, but it would still be wrong. 2112 intro/pres/outro & Something for Nothing with the angry vocals and all arent enough for it to be metal to me. Its just not the mindset of the band, they never thought as themselves as metal either. Not all really hard rock is metal, otherwise Zeppelin, Purple, and other rock bands who have their occassional super heavy songs would be considered metal by well, metal heads. Motorhead, I think really started what blurred the lines between heavy blues rock and punk to start the NWOBHM and all. Stealing Sabbath's atmosphere and style riffage and crankin them up faster. I thought that short list thing I did last time was a way of abbreviating this concept, i didnt realize that some people completely lose the context of what they are reading when confronted with short lists

I also notice that its not always, but more often than not, its the non metal types that tend to call them metal

and back in the 70's early 80s i wasnty smoking pot yet when i really started to get into RUSH. that came in the Metal Years of touring later on

"IM METAL!!!!!!!"

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/13857_176172793742_170691943742_2891045_4884465_n.jpg

Edited by ucsteve667

lemming

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ May 28 2011, 09:46 PM)

lemming

It's spelt LEMMY dumbass.

Re a post of yours a couple of posts back, you say that Deep Purple woulsn't be considered METAL, well I saw a programme on BBC4 called "Heavy METAL Britannia" where Lemmy states that in his opinion Deep Purple were the first METAL band.

Whatever Rush may be considered now, back in the 70s in Englandland - the home of METAL - Rush were always considered METAL.

QUOTE (hunter @ May 28 2011, 08:44 PM)
"I have always felt I was more accurately a Hard Rock musician." Geddy Lee

Ah yes, "Hard Rock" the cop out answer given by those who are too much of a pussy to admit to being METAL.

If Rush aren't METAL, then why are they in "Heavy Metal - A Headbanger's Journey"

QUOTE (Sarge @ May 27 2011, 05:30 AM)
I was buying  2.gif  albums on day of release since 1977 and remember when Signals came out & just loving it. What would we give for Clockwork Angels (crap title) to be as high a standard as Signals.

Share your thoughts here... and know what, it IS a crap title.

Edited by greg2112

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ May 28 2011, 05:50 PM)
QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ May 28 2011, 09:46 PM)

lemming

It's spelt LEMMY dumbass.

Re a post of yours a couple of posts back, you say that Deep Purple woulsn't be considered METAL, well I saw a programme on BBC4 called "Heavy METAL Britannia" where Lemmy states that in his opinion Deep Purple were the first METAL band.

Whatever Rush may be considered now, back in the 70s in Englandland - the home of METAL - Rush were always considered METAL.

http://www.xeye.org/1995-2000/Pictures/Lemmings/Real-Lemming-photo.jpg

dumbass

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ May 28 2011, 05:52 PM)

Ah yes, "Hard Rock" the cop out answer given by those who are too much of a pussy to admit to being METAL.

If Rush aren't METAL, then why are they in "Heavy Metal - A Headbanger's Journey"

Well, I certainly dont agree with Lemmy as purple being the 1st metal band, thats for sure. Just dont consider DP metal, sorry. And I saw HMJ as well, and you didnt have to be "metal" to influence it. Still dont consider hard rock from the seventies metal. there are a few exceptions for me with Priest and Sabbath. So I guess you think Motorhead is a metal band then too? Metal has more to it than just the music, at least our crowd always thought so. And when was I a pussy for not being Metal. Ive been into metal probably since before you were born? If anything, calling very heavy bands not metal and all, how is that being a pussy?

so piss off youhttp://www.misconceptionjunction.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/lemming.jpg

This was the album that got me on the bus. Certainly not a letdown. GUP was that for me, though one summer back in 1988 that album really grew on me. Signals was never a letdown.

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ May 28 2011, 06:26 PM)
QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ May 28 2011, 05:52 PM)

Well, I certainly dont agree with Lemmy as purple being the 1st metal band, thats for sure. Just dont consider DP metal, sorry. And I saw HMJ as well, and you didnt have to be "metal" to influence it. Still dont consider hard rock from the seventies metal. there are a few exceptions for me with Priest and Sabbath. So I guess you think Motorhead is a metal band then too? Metal has more to it than just the music, at least our crowd always thought so. And when was I a pussy for not being Metal. Ive been into metal probably since before you were born? If anything, calling very heavy bands not metal and all, how is that being a pussy?

so piss off youhttp://www.misconceptionjunction.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/lemming.jpg

Are you for real mate?

laugh.gif

Lemmy knows!

1022.gif