Focus

Akron162

For some reason this guys are not as known as they should be, even i dont know nothing about them until a month ago, but they are, or were, really awsome, or at least as awsome as you can get coming out from Holland.

If you don't know them i recomend you to look some videos on youtube, and if you like them get their Focus III album, if you like prog rock whit clear classical influences you gonna love it.

If you actually know them, tell me, do you like them? Or what is your opinnion at least?

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ May 18 2011, 02:08 AM)
Dude, you should have been around in the 70s.

yes.gif

The song "Hocus Pocus", a long instrumental of theirs (6:42 on the album according to Wiki), got much airplay on radio and TV (Don Kirshner's Rock Concert and In Concert). Came out in '71. Good shit too.

Edited by driventotheedge

QUOTE (Akron162 @ May 18 2011, 09:17 AM)
QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ May 18 2011, 04:08 AM)
Dude, you should have been around in the 70s.

Yeah, well, im talking about my generation.

laugh.gif nice quoting of The Who wink.gif

Anyway, Focus is a good band from what I've heard. I've had Moving Waves since the early 80s and it's excellent. In recent years I've managed to pick up In And Out of Focus and it's very good as well. So I'll definitely be looking for some of their other stuff.

Edited by Silas Lang

I also only know "Hocus Pocus" by Focus, but I think it's awesome.

All i know is in the 80's i was in a band that decided to play"hocus pocus" & i couldn't remenber if i was in the 5th ir 7th drum solo playing that tune. WICKED FUN TUNE!!

I've got both Moving Waves and Focus III. Both are great.

(I guess it would have been too much of a coincidence if they'd also done an album called Permanent Pictures confused13.gif )

I've also heard some of Jan Akkerman(the guitarist)'s solo work. That's also amazing, and definitely worth checking out if you're a fan of Focus.

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ May 22 2011, 10:22 AM)
I've got both Moving Waves and Focus III. Both are great.
(I guess it would have been too much of a coincidence if they'd also done an album called Permanent Pictures confused13.gif )

rofl3.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif wink.gif

Great band. Love them. I have a few albums.

In And Out Of Focus

Moving Waves

Focus III

Hamburger Concerto

Ship Of Memories

'70's prog with classical and acid jazz in the mix. I recommend them without reservation.

QUOTE (ozzy85 @ May 24 2011, 07:51 PM)
Great band. Love them. I have a few albums.

In And Out Of Focus
Moving Waves
Focus III
Hamburger Concerto
Ship Of Memories

'70's prog with classical and acid jazz in the mix. I recommend them without reservation.

Will do so soon yes.gif

Saw them live in the 70s but their music hasn't really aged well. Moving Waves was a fine album back in the day.

They played live at last year's High Voltage festival in London and came across reasonably well considering TVL is as mad as a box of frogs.

Am listening to Hocus Pocus right now, very good music, bit confused by the yodelling, high "aaah-aaah-aah", whistling and a really mad speeded up vocal. Interesting though.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Oct 5 2011, 11:15 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Oct 5 2011, 05:12 PM)
Am listening to Hocus Pocus right now, very good music, bit confused by the yodelling, high "aaah-aaah-aah", whistling and a really mad speeded up vocal. Interesting though.

Babycat, try 'Sylvia'

I love the tone of the guitar in that one

Have just watched Sylvia on you-tube - it's beautiful! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

checkout these tracks.......

janis

tommy

focus2

house of the king

sylvia

all on spotify or you tube for your listening pleasure

This was a band that were genuinely unique, producing melodies that captured the imagination like no other band could.

Seriously you should research this fantastic band further, GO! DO IT NOW