Best saxophones

A Plague of Lighthouse keepers wub.gif

Pilgrims

In A Passion play, that tiny solo.

Sax solo in Chuck Mangioni's Feel So Good (hope i spelled his name right)

Don't hate me by PT.

Dire Straits, your latest trick.

Most anything when used with Floyd.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ May 15 2011, 07:08 PM)
Baker Street

wub.gif

and there's a bunch of jazz out there but a lot of it is not so appealing to me...I listen to jazz mainly for rhythms and stuff...but some saxophone stuff is amazing, I just always forget what I'm hearing.

I can come back with others, but for now:

Paul Desmond's work on "Take Five."

Coltrane's A Love Supreme album.

And there's a moment in Weather Report's "A Remark You Made" where Wayne Shorter can make me weep with just three notes.

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (ghostworks @ May 16 2011, 12:17 AM)
Paul Desmond (thread closed) smile.gif

Now THERE is a man who knows his jazz. The work he and Brubeck did has yet to be completely appreciated.

I especially like "Time Out," "Late Lament." and "Angel Eyes."

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 16 2011, 03:57 AM)
I can come back with others, but for now:

Paul Desmond's work on "Take Five."

Coltrane's A Love Supreme album.

And there's a moment in Weather Report's "A Remark You Made" where Wayne Shorter can make me weep with just three notes.

Don't stop at Take Five. Listen to the whole album: "Time Out."

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 15 2011, 06:35 PM)
A Plague of Lighthouse keepers wub.gif
Pilgrims

Don't hate me by PT.

As an aside, the studio guitarist who did a lot of the solos for Mangione was a guy named Grant Geissman. Defintely not a household name but an amazing guitarist who worked with some other giants in the industry. In the long version of "Feels so Good," he plays two solos: one which riffs on the melody and a second that is all improv. The second solo is amazing with some incredibly triplets and dual note work. Take a listen if you get a chance.

QUOTE (Finding IT @ May 16 2011, 02:52 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 15 2011, 06:35 PM)
A Plague of Lighthouse keepers  wub.gif
Pilgrims

Don't hate me by PT.

As an aside, the studio guitarist who did a lot of the solos for Mangione was a guy named Grant Geissman. Defintely not a household name but an amazing guitarist who worked with some other giants in the industry. In the long version of "Feels so Good," he plays two solos: one which riffs on the melody and a second that is all improv. The second solo is amazing with some incredibly triplets and dual note work. Take a listen if you get a chance.

I love that song wub.gif

a couple of pop tunes where saxophone is good:

Tina Turner - "Private Dancer"

Wham - "Careless Whisper"

I saw Michael Brecker back in the 80's. From Steely Dan to Rick James he played with some the biggest names and i bet almost everyone here own a disc that he has played on. He passed away a few years back unfortunately.

just grabbed this from wiki:

During his career, he was in great demand as a soloist and sideman. He performed with bands which spanned from mainstream jazz to mainstream rock. Altogether, he appeared on over 700 albums, either as a band member or a guest soloist. He put his stamp on numerous pop and rock recordings as a soloist. His featured guest solos with James Taylor and Paul Simon are excellent examples from this body of work. For example, on James Taylor's 1972 album, One Man Dog, Brecker's solo on the track "Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight" complements the other acoustic instruments and sparse vocal. Also, on Paul Simon's 1975 album Still Crazy After All These Years, Brecker's solo on the title track is used to a similar effect. His solos are often placed in the bridge, or appended as a coda. This musical structure and instrumentation typifies (and somewhat defines) this jazz-rock fusion style. Other notable collaborations in this genre include work with Steely Dan, Lou Reed, Donald Fagen, Dire Straits, Joni Mitchell, Eric Clapton, John Lennon, Aerosmith, Dan Fogelberg, Frank Sinatra, Frank Zappa, Bruce Springsteen, and Parliament-Funkadelic.

Brecker also recorded or performed with leading jazz figures during his era, including Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, Chet Baker, George Benson, Quincy Jones, Charles Mingus, Jaco Pastorius, McCoy Tyner, Pat Metheny, Elvin Jones, Claus Ogerman, and many others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Brecker

Edited by tangy

on Peter Gabriel's album Melt, there is a track called "Start" which is basically the intro to "I don't remember". It's one of the most beautiful sax solos I've ever heard.