Rice

What's Your Favourite Kind Of Rice?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What's Your Favourite Kind Of Rice?

• White Rice
    • Brown Rice
    • Yellow Rice
    • Red Rice
    • Wild Rice
    • Jasmine Rice
    • Basmati Rice
    • Other
    • Any or All Rice

Also! Whole grain or refined?

Whole grain basmati rice for me. I use it for things for which I used to use noodles or pasta such as in soup or with spaghetti sauce. I also like it with butter and nutritional yeast, and of course put to such traditional applications as under Chinese food!

Rice thoughts, anyone?

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 12 2011, 04:34 PM)
I went with other but I really meant "all"

I'm not really big on rice, but I can tolerate just about any kind of rice.

Hmm, good point. I should have had an option for "Any" but I guess polls can't be edited.

I've become a much bigger fan of rice since I had to give up pasta.

Oh wow, I love rice! My favorite is the Chinese sticky white rice, but I'm not overly picky.

You can do anything with rice, but dang, a little sure goes a long way.

Barley is a good alternative to rice.

They make rice pasta (chow fun and chow mai fun noodles)

Quinoa is good if you can make is successfully - something which I have not been able to accomplish at home. (wah-waahhh)

They do make quinoa pasta, but good luck finding it. (and $$$ to boot!)

Cous Cous is good at first and then it gets like sand.

Brown rice is actually not that bad. I would take that over white rice.

Whiiiiiiiite rice!

Rice goes good with pretty much anything and everything. laugh.gif

I can see why it's such a staple in a lot of Asian countries. It's a good base for so many dishes and it's not bad for ya either! (:

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ May 12 2011, 05:43 PM)

Hmm, good point. I should have had an option for "Any" but I guess polls can't be edited.

Fixed.

smile.gif

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ May 12 2011, 07:26 PM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ May 12 2011, 07:18 PM)
Wash the rice before you eat it. (Seriously, try it.)

Before or after cooking?

Before, but do not do it with instant rice, maybe even twice. Your rice will not be nearly as sticky.

QUOTE (Digital Man @ May 12 2011, 08:17 PM)
QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ May 12 2011, 05:43 PM)

Fixed.

smile.gif

trink39.gif

Due to my asian blood, for long periods if I don't eat white rice I can have serious problems.

When I moved away to go to school, I was wondering why my body was acting strange. By the summer when I moved back home, all was cool. So white rice gets my vote.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ May 13 2011, 10:13 AM)
Due to my asian blood, for long periods if I don't eat white rice I can have serious problems.

When I moved away to go to school, I was wondering why my body was acting strange. By the summer when I moved back home, all was cool. So white rice gets my vote.

Same here man. Aside from being extremely ill, traveling abroad, or having slept the entire day, I can't remember a day when I didn't eat it.

When I moved away to go to college my mum gave me some cash, a bible, and a rice cooker. No joke.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ May 13 2011, 07:36 AM)
Whiiiiiiiite rice!
I can see why it's such a staple in a lot of Asian countries. It's a good base for so many dishes and it's not bad for ya either! (:

It's a staple because it's easy to grow in those places. Those countries aren't really thinking, "This white rice really goes well with tonight's entree" or "This is healthy for me." It's not even a thought. It's just there. Always.

As a kid I ate white rice 2 or 3 times a day. I'd ask mum what was for dinner and she'd say something like fried chicken and mixed vegetables. White rice was never even mentioned. In fact, "white" was never mentioned because it was ALWAYS white rice with every dinner no matter what.

smile.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ May 12 2011, 10:55 PM)
Whiiiiiiiite rice!

It's a staple because it's easy to grow in those places. Those countries aren't really thinking, "This white rice really goes well with tonight's entree" or "This is healthy for me." It's not even a thought. It's just there. Always.

As a kid I ate white rice 2 or 3 times a day. I'd ask mum what was for dinner and she'd say something like fried chicken and mixed vegetables. White rice was never even mentioned. In fact, "white" was never mentioned because it was ALWAYS white rice with every dinner no matter what.

smile.gif

Still don't know how to use a rice cooker to this day. I sort of have an idea, and probably could figure it out....

On a side, note, had some wicked eel fried rice yesterday for lunch.

My favorite kind of rice is the kind you find underneath delicious little pieces of sushi. I love me some sushi. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ May 13 2011, 06:38 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ May 12 2011, 10:55 PM)
Whiiiiiiiite rice!

smile.gif

Still don't know how to use a rice cooker to this day. I sort of have an idea, and probably could figure it out....

On a side, note, had some wicked eel fried rice yesterday for lunch.

I've got one and I use it constantly. It's just a pressure steamer thing, and it has settings for white & brown rice. Once the rice is cooked it automatically lowers the temperature to "warm".

It couldn't be any easier to use, and you can cook as much or as little as you wish. I've used it for as little as 2 cups and for as many as 12. No more guesswork or starchy water boiling over.

Oh, and the only kind of rice I don't like is fried rice. It has eggs in it - 'nuff said.

QUOTE (Mara @ May 12 2011, 05:58 PM)
Oh wow, I love rice! My favorite is the Chinese sticky white rice, but I'm not overly picky.

You can do anything with rice, but dang, a little sure goes a long way.

yes.gif

I love all rice but white sticky is my absolute favorite. I will put just about any over rice. Love it, love it, love it!