That rush kid in my class

circumstantial tree

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See. I was the Deadhead in school. Always got a ton of shit for it. I started wearing Rush shirts my senior year in high school, which is when I got into them. People were like, "why do you have a naked guy on your shirt?" Or, "What the hell is Got Lifeson?" I got tired of explaining it to be honest. You got the occasional, "Hey Man, nice shirt!" But those were far and few between. I graduated last June by the way.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 10 2011, 04:27 PM)
I was the Queen guy. And got the shit routinely kicked out of me.

There were many Rush fans at my high school. The day after a concert there were Rush shirts everywhere and the teachers were confused, but when I said I was into Queen it was a battle. I feel your pain.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 10 2011, 04:27 PM)
I was the Queen guy. And got the shit routinely kicked out of me.

Aww. :C

It's funny you say that now.

Queen is immensely popular at my school. If someone said they didn't like Queen it would be like saying you hate the Beatles, or that Jimi Hendrix was a sucky guitar player, or something. You just don't do it. If someone did, there would be mass panic, because no one would know how to react. laugh.gif

Like if I'm with a group on a road trip:

Driver: "Hm, what should we listen to?"

Person riding shotgun: "There's a Queen CD here.."

Everyone: "YEAH OH MY GOSH I LOVE QUEEN LET'S LISTEN TO QUEEN IS BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY ON THERE QUEEN QUEEN QUEEN.."

Me: "I think the general consensus is we should listen to Queen."

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ May 10 2011, 04:52 PM)
I was in high school from 81-85 and 2.gif was at their peak so it was cool to be a 2.gif fan and there were quite a few of 'em in my school....hell most people at least liked 'em.

where did you go to school? i grad 85 too

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 10 2011, 05:43 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 10 2011, 05:21 PM)
Most people know me as the guy that listens to that "weird shit".

That's me. People think I'm a druggie and they think prog is a drug ph34r.gif

A friend told me that he was talking to one of his friends and his friend asked about me and where I got this drug called prog laugh.gif rofl3.gif

dude....

prog IS a drug

Our school must have totally bucked the trend. There were a lot of Rush fans across all the year groups in the late 70's. They were THE bad to be into for lots of kids. Which is all the more sweet given we're talking about Dundee, Scotland! If you were into Rush in our school, you were pretty cool.

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 10 2011, 10:40 PM)
QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ May 10 2011, 11:18 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 10 2011, 09:27 PM)
I was the Queen guy.

Poof!!!!!!!

Daddy and his friends were Queenies, but grew up to be Rushies.

On the S&A tour Six - count 'em six -of his 1970s schoolmates went to see Rush in Brum.

The 70s, apparently you should have been there, Rush were still good.

Well you weren't there either so how would you know?

Hence the "Apparently" tongue.gif

QUOTE (skalamander2112 @ May 11 2011, 01:02 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 10 2011, 05:43 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 10 2011, 05:21 PM)
Most people know me as the guy that listens to that "weird shit".

That's me. People think I'm a druggie and they think prog is a drug ph34r.gif

A friend told me that he was talking to one of his friends and his friend asked about me and where I got this drug called prog laugh.gif rofl3.gif

dude....

prog IS a drug

It is wub.gif

Yep, that was me. Fortunately, back then, there were others... although seldom would you find two in the same classroom.

In and outside of school, I could barely stop talking about them. I grew my hair long and wore beat-up Rush shirts. I drew pictures of them everywhere, or pictures of me wearing a Rush shirt. I wrote "Rush" and Rush song lyrics on my notebooks and desks. I had cool photos of them taped to the inside of my locker. I made Rush tapes and listened to them during the day on my Walkman, when I should have been paying attention to my teachers. My friend and I drove from Albany to Springfield, MA after school one day to see a Power Windows show - a big deal for a couple teenagers on a "school night."

I had arguments with a 13-year-old girl I knew - who's the better drummer, Neil Peart or Rick Allen? (She was blindsided by her love of Def Leppard.) I thought Allen was a joke compared to Peart. Just last week, now 40-years-old, she admitted I was right all along.

I was in high school in the late '80s. It was very common to see kids in Rush shirts (especially right after one of the shows). Myself and one other kid were known as the Rush 'superfans'. I think I wore a Rush shirt to school an average of 3 days a week. Other than myself being the Rush kid, we had the Deadheads, the Metallica kids, and the REM/U2 kids.

While travelling out of town this past year, I met up with an old friend who I hadn't seen in 15 years. Her first comment was, "Wow, I expected to see you with a Rush shirt on."

Signals came out at the time I entered Junior High (8th grade), so that album through Power Windows (11th grade) were the current albums of the time.

My older sister knew about Rush before I ever did. I know she liked Tom Sawyer. The school bus driver she had allowed the kids to play music on the bus. "Back in Black", "Tom Sawyer", and "the Stroke" were the big songs during those rides she told me. So I know Rush was popular even though I was unfamiliar with their music at that time (1980 - 1981)

Another thing I remember is when I wore my tour shirt to class. This guy that sat behind me made a sarcastic comment about my shirt and said "wow, massive tour! wacko.gif "

There weren't many dates listed so he ASSumed those were the only dates. Idiot.

Edited by circumstantial tree

The only people aware of my love for rush are my family and you guys .

I feel a bit old now to be wearing rush clothing like when i was a kid smelling of patchouli oil and gin

Edited by GeddyRulz

Funny thing is that cliques were not so clearly defined in my high school. There was always a little blending going on.

I didn't even hang with the nerds.

QUOTE (tel @ May 11 2011, 10:03 AM)
The only people aware of my love for rush are my family and you guys .
I feel a bit old now to be wearing rush clothing like when i was a kid smelling of patchouli oil and gin

Bet that aroma really held the ladies in thrall! laugh.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 11 2011, 09:19 AM)

Neither did I! That was the "square peg" thing I had as a Rush fan: too cool for the nerds, not cool enough for the other groups.

Funny thing is that cliques were not so clearly defined in my high school. There was always a little blending going on.

There was a little blending going on in our school. A shared joint could bring people from two different cliques together. laugh.gif And I had friends who fit comfortably in one camp and friends who fit entirely in another.

It may sound naive, but I think John Hughes's "The Breakfast Club" really made an impact on uniting people from different cliques - the whites, anyway. (Ever notice his movies don't have minorities in them?) Maybe it was entirely natural - just the emerging maturity of high school seniors who are all becoming adults - but it seemed like the Clique Identities melted away quite a bit after we all saw that movie.

Edited by GeddyRulz

We had a large Rush following in my high school. Of course, my school was in Willowdale, Ontario so that shouldn't come as a surprise. In my grade there were probably about 15 of us who hung out together.

Alternatively, there was an equally hard-core Stones/Zepplin group and then all the new wave/pop kids too.

But almost 30 years after the fact, Rush is still going strong and a few of us who still keep in touch, still love the band. trink39.gif

I was a Genesis fan when I was in high school and was yet to discover Rush. Other girls were all into pop music and chart stuff so it was a bit of a lost cause. Art class was great, I remember getting to design album covers for my art exam project, I think the teacher was the only other one who'd even heard of Genesis....and what is it with art teachers...talk about creepy! laugh.gif

I got into Rush in college after hearing The Trees, then promptly went out and bought Hemispheres on vinyl. The lecturer was a Rush fan too so whenever we had to choose a band or song to write about, Rush was always a winner!

Right now, in Junior High, I'm the only kid in my school who actually likes Rush sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif I wear Rush shirts all the time though (my 2 concert shirts) I always write out Rush lyrics, have them stuck in my head, write and decorate Rush, etc. I really hope I'll meet some other Rushians in high school.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 11 2011, 10:39 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 11 2011, 09:19 AM)

Neither did I! That was the "square peg" thing I had as a Rush fan: too cool for the nerds, not cool enough for the other groups.

There was a little blending going on in our school. A shared joint could bring people from two different cliques together. laugh.gif And I had friends who fit comfortably in one camp and friends who fit entirely in another.

It may sound naive, but I think John Hughes's "The Breakfast Club" really made an impact on uniting people from different cliques - the whites, anyway. (Ever notice his movies don't have minorities in them?) Maybe it was entirely natural - just the emerging maturity of high school seniors who are all becoming adults - but it seemed like the Clique Identities melted away quite a bit after we all saw that movie.

In my high school, we had a few potheads who were in the Honor Society and would hang with Buffy, our valedictorian. Yes, that is her name. Sweet girl too and I liked her.