TRF Troll Thread

ioc

Seems like The "Rush" forum is aglow with buzz about, not Rush, but trolls. There are whole threads barely about Rush (if even barely) but are filled with troll-food posts.

Examples:

"No-one"...which Rush album does it appear.

Does Rush still make contributions to Flames?

Nonsensical Rush threads

I notice that these threads can get pretty big, mostly with posts about dealing with trolls or a specific troll. Seems like public opinion is split between ignore and encourage the threads, but it does not appear that those threads get only 50% of responses.

Personally, once I am aware of trolls I tend (try) to stay out of their threads (hey, I'm as likely to look at a train wreck as the next guy; so I'm not criticizing). However, I'd just as soon the trolls go away, but banning seems extreme - especially considering all the attention being doled upon them by so many other members (seems like sending a mixed message). So what to do?

Does TRF have a killfile type of capability? That way those who are tired of seeing troll posts (or don't want to be tempted by them) can block them from view?

Is there a better way of dealing than with the constant back and forth buffet of troll fodder finding their way into so many threads?

If no one replied and ignored them, then there would be no more trolls. For some reason people feel pissed off and start arguments, and that's exactly what the trolls want. People complaining doesn't help either. Even posting this thread, and me posting this reply just encourages them to troll even more.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Apr 26 2011, 08:20 PM)
If no one replied and ignored them, then there would be no more trolls. For some reason people feel pissed off and start arguments, and that's exactly what the trolls want. People complaining doesn't help either. Even posting this thread, and me posting this reply just encourages them to troll even more.

goodpost.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Apr 26 2011, 08:20 PM)

True. But, at least this is in the right subforum tongue.gif wink.gif

Also, by the looks of things, seems like ignoring is off the menu anyway; so, I didn't see much harm.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 26 2011, 06:23 PM)
We mods are discussing the deal in the Rush section as we speak, and two of the threads ioc posted up there are examples.

Didn't even notice this was going on.

Funny how trolls are always drawn to the main Rush section.

Maybe ban them to TROLL ISLAND, a subforum viewable only to trolls laugh.gif and while there, thats the only forum they can post in. Let em all troll eachother to death tongue.gif

But nah, then we wouldn't get to watch unsure.gif

QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Apr 26 2011, 08:25 PM)
How about all trolling posts are redirected here?

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=59684

That had occurred to me. I was wondering if anyone else would come up with it independently. I imagined a kind of rubber stamp response that redirects readers and squelches the troll post in a non-specific, non-reaffirming way. With the intent of taking the joy out of trolling. I don't know enough about the intricacies of these issues to throw suggestions around...they're just random thoughts.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Apr 26 2011, 08:29 PM)
Maybe ban them to TROLL ISLAND, a subforum viewable only to trolls laugh.gif and while there, thats the only forum they can post in. Let em all troll eachother to death tongue.gif

We could watch if it was like a zoo! Then feeding the trolls would be okay. Hey! That would mean we would actually be TROLLING the trolls. Whew, then the universe collapses on itself. wink.gif

QUOTE (ioc @ Apr 26 2011, 09:46 PM)

We could watch if it was like a zoo! Then feeding the trolls would be okay. Hey! That would mean we would actually be TROLLING the trolls. Whew, then the universe collapses on itself. wink.gif

Bad idea, then TRF would turn into 4chan

The problem of late, attributable to ONE poster, is that legitimate topics get buried under the crap. People can't seem to look away from those wrecks, or posting in them. Granted, there's not a whole lot recently that's new or exciting on the Rush front, but still.

I haven't looked at a thread that 4th has started in a few days, though just now I did peek at the Flames one. The first thing I thought was hockey - boy, was I wrong. The entertainment value is gone, for me.

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Apr 26 2011, 10:05 PM)

Oh good lord. Not 4chan scared.gif

The only thing I think about whenever I see a thread by 4thmember is, "God damn, this guy is an idiot". I mean, this is not a forum with a below average internet intelligence when it comes to trolls because y'all are great at spotting them; but just the thought that some people actually like to think that they can get away with being idiots in a forum filled with mentally mature people are just dimwitted. I personally love trolls and troll threads. Most of the other forums I take part in are easy troll bait. Glad to see a forum filled with levelheaded people.

I think I said this in another thread, but my suggestion to everyone is just to sit back, relax, and enjoy the feeble attempts of some guy living in his mom's basement eating pizza rolls to troll people that are vastly smarter than him. It's a great source of laughter if you just, y'know, observe and not take part in the festivities. It's like a demolition derby. Cool to watch, not so fun to take part in.

It's actually a pretty funny idea. Make it so the trolls could only see and post in that one section, and everyone else could read it -- but NOT post. If the other members could post, then yeah, it would be too unhinged, like 4chan.

Not that we're seriously considering this idea. But it IS a funny idea.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 26 2011, 10:43 PM)

It's actually a pretty funny idea. Make it so the trolls could only see and post in that one section, and everyone else could read it -- but NOT post. If the other members could post, then yeah, it would be too unhinged, like 4chan.

Not that we're seriously considering this idea. But it IS a funny idea.

Aww, come on! Let us have some fun with the uncultured swines! sad.gif

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Apr 26 2011, 09:05 PM)

user posted image

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Apr 26 2011, 08:31 PM)
I really enjoy watching but I think I'm done posting in them. Although I feel like posting a really really really stupid poll.

That's what I did!! smile.gif

I've taken to the "ignore" option. A few people on SOCN just argue for the sake of arguing, so I'm getting to that point over there with a couple of regulars smile.gif

Perhaps the first person to spot the troll/troll thread could leave something like this:

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/no_trolls.png

... and if us regulars see it, we know not to post in that thread. Kind of like a self-policing thing. confused13.gif

damnit.

what the heck is up with all these "trolls on TRF?" threads? so many of them. This thread is all right, because it was the first. but all the subsequent threads could have been posted on here. Which is why I'm posting on this one. The trolls here are populating quickly unsure.gif

After this, I refrain from posting anything about trolls whatsoever.

Archived