Cleveland thoughts

In my opinion just because mistakes are made during a show doesn't mean the show is ruined for me. I've never been part of a crowd that was so amped up before, during and after a Rush show. I was fortunate enough to attend Toledo, Cleveland and Auburn Hills and honestly they may have played better in Auburn Hills, but the overall experience and show in Cleveland was much better. Just my 2 cents worth....

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (puscifer @ Apr 20 2011, 08:46 AM)
In my opinion just because mistakes are made during a show doesn't mean the show is ruined for me. I've never been part of a crowd that was so amped up before, during and after a Rush show. I was fortunate enough to attend Toledo, Cleveland and Auburn Hills and honestly they may have played better in Auburn Hills, but the overall experience and show in Cleveland was much better. Just my 2 cents worth....

There is no doubt that Cleveland must have been an awesome experience. I wish I was there! However, in viewing the you tube clips of Cleveland and Detroit it did appear that the band played a better show in Detroit. My guess is that we have some great shows to come!

QUOTE (MCM @ Apr 17 2011, 05:47 PM)
It's taken me a few days to collect my thoughts on this show. I'm going to say that it was one of my best overall concert experiences.

I felt that they just outdid themselves in every respect; I first saw Rush on the HYF tour so I missed those early years, but it seemed to me that someone forgot to tell them how old they were Friday night, those three acted like they were youngsters on that stage.

Some say that the last show you saw is always the best show you've seen until the next one, but it will be hard to top this one. I thought they were spectacular in Hershey the week before and only hoped they would be that good for the show that was filmed. I had no idea they could top that show, but they did.

The first half of the show is great, but from the moment they come out after intermission, it just climbs and climbs to above excellence. This is truly a band that is improving with age.

I read somewhere in all the posts and reviews that Ged was "fighting a cold" but you would never know it, he must be employing some new tactics to protect and preserve his voice because I think his voice is sounding better than it did on last years Time Machine tour. This show far exceeded the show I saw in Pittsburgh last September.

I was thrilled when I walked up to the door of the venue and saw the notice on the door signed by Banger Films. Who better to do this DVD, we'll get a quality DVD done with care. I thought the crowd was great, the anticipation and excitement in the air was almost visible. I was able to get a floor seat thanks to a fellow TRF'r who proved to be an excellent person and excellent seatmate, (thanks Phantom) the tall guys in front of me were kind enough to offer to switch seats with me if I couldn't see over them (how cool is that?) Going to a Rush show alone isn't really going alone, it's just spending time meeting new people who happen to share a common love. I've almost decided that from now on, I'm always going solo to see Rush.

I spoke to a total stranger in the hotel lobby, ended up talking for quite a while and it turned out this total stranger was TRF's own Spike. The Rush fan is a rare breed indeed. Good to meet you Spike, I did go to the Lerxt thread and look for the skin pic, couldn't help myself.

Cleveland was a great host, hotels were close (thanks to Tripdad for the hotel suggestion); walking distance to the venue and a nice venue.

It was worth every penny spent and I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

So pleased to have met you, and you're a great seatmate too.

Really glad you were able to make use of those awesome seats, and share the experience!

Cheers !!!!

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Apr 15 2011, 11:20 PM)
Band was great, no real glitches at all- they NAILED spirit of the radio- were a little(tiny teeny bit) tight for a while after that- but still sounded superb.  they really hammed it up tonight.

From looking at all the youtube vids and listening to all the comments on the boards it does seem they were on fire that night. Though they seemed to have had a little glitch in Presto during and after Alex's solo. Neil get's a little behind, but they recover nicely. Just wonder if they'll try fixing it.

Looking forward already to Clock Work Angels tour downtown Cleveland!! tongue.gif

QUOTE (MCM @ Apr 19 2011, 09:13 PM)
QUOTE (Enviro_tech @ Apr 19 2011, 11:48 AM)

pics (some): https://picasaweb.google.com/envirotech03/R...nMeetUpsMostly#

If these pics are from your seat, looks like you were right behind me... I have almost the same set of pics.

Cool! I had a few friends in front of me from RushTour the whole night, it was a great concert and crowd. I didn't grab hardly any show pictures cause they were filming it... So I put all my energy into the show and enjoyed it.

I have to agree with puscifer, from all the American shows I saw, in Detroit the boys seemed to be themselves again. Then made for a great show, the crowd seemed to be really into the show and it wasn't just cause cameras were on. Not that Toledo and Cleveland weren't cool. From my vantage points for both shows, they seemed to have the thoughts of filming on their mind for Toledo. Cleveland they had to focus on the show for the filming, and it was a great show for the DVD. Most certainly one that I'm glad was filmed, the crowd was insane! But Detroit, man I laughed so hard with all the funny stuff they were doing.. When Alex went up to mic for 2112 and the hi-five between Ged and Alex near the end, wish those could have wound on the DVD.

For me personally, Hamilton was the best show I have seen of Rush ever! Everything seemed to just fit together perfectly: the view, the show was flawless, I got to hang out with a great Rush nut like me whom I just met not even a week before that night, everything about the whole night just led up to the whole thing. I took a count early Wednesday morning before I got to bed after the Hamilton show, that was my 20th show seeing them. I had been guesstimating my show count this whole time machine tour, it's nice to finally have a real number.

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Apr 22 2011, 12:40 PM)
I had no idea Scot McFadyen and Sam Dunn were at the show! Must have gotten to my seat a little late doh.gif

Me and my wife were just entering the "Q" when heard them say 'enjoy the show' and crowd cheered hurrying to our nosebleed seats. Thought damn we are late starting already! laugh.gif

The show in Cleveland was AWESOME!!!

I lucked out and scored a tix thru the official means the night before the gig. That meant for me, throwing an overnite bag together and maping out the drive to Cleveland from Boston. And yes, the almost 11 hour drive was worth every mile, every dollar for gas and even the sleazy motel room. I didnt evenmind driving alone. I had my ipod & ac adaptor for the ride and at 3am I got up after a 3 hour power slumber and hit the road at 4am Cleveland bound.

I tend to try to see the band 2-5 times each tour. When I was younger, I was lucky not to miss seeing the band as I was often on tour myself workng for other bands. So, I also feel like it is my duty to see the band as often as I can when opportunities arise. It kinda makes up for the few times I wasnt able to see them in the past and I realize they are more mature today and may not want to tour as much for amny different reasons. To see the band live is so exiting for me and provides such a boost of energy that carries me thru the good times and the hard times of life. And being a drummer-well I dont need to say anything more.

I saw the band the previous sunday @ MSG in NYC. I thought the Garden was cool-but honestly the seats I had were right near one of the tunnels and it seemed like every person at the gig was walking past where I was sitting/standing. It was destracting for sure and the security and guest services people were too agggressive in ensuring we all have a safe experience. Lighten up!

Cleveland vs New York City as far as band performance, vibe, show overall:

I think the band were feeling looser at the NYC gig. There was alittle more movement around the stage with Alex and Geddy. The sound was perfect and so was the performance. I can say the same thing for Cleveland. Awesome performance, Great vibe. Yes there were a couple goofs by Geddy on vocals and Im sure it will be fixed in post production. Honestly, I would prefer if they just leave it as is. Seemed like the guys were having fun in Cleveland-but I think they were much more relaxed in NYC. What irony -the sold out gig at MSG was less pressure than the sold out gig in Cleveland?

Cleveland had this vibe of anticpation. People were milling about here and there. I heard the Banger Production producers come out and talk to the crowd from the stage. There was a feeling of electricity in the air. It felt like it was taking forever for the arena to fill up. The New York crowd seemed more focused on scoring brews and getting back to their seats asap. The New York show was on a Sunday night-maybe that had something to do with it. Sunday nites for me are just so low key. It was obvious plenty of folks in Cleveland came straight from work. One or two looked to have spent most of the afternoon at one of thebars near the venue that has an outdoor patio and that were blasting this really loud music by some Canadian band or something.

I got to the Q-arena early but I guess between the 3 hours sleep and the 11 hours driving, I didnt even think about walking around to find other Rush fans at the Hall of Shame, taking pictures, meeting and greeting each other etc. I was so focused on getting from motel to venue, parking and getting to my seat. I was inside at my seat at 635pm! I just wanted to be sure I did not miss one second of the show. I met a few really nice people and we talked about Rush non stop.

I was really happy with my decision to take advantage of this opportunity. I knew if I didnt go to this gig, for the rest of my life I would be kicking myself for not going. I would do it again. Im already thinking about plans for the next leg of the tour in the states. Im hoping they decide to add some additional dates in the U.S. over the summer.

So when is the dvd coming out? I hope its our in time for xmas this year. If its not released until holidays in 2012-that doesnt leave enough time to watch the dvd with the whole end of the world thing because of the Mayan calendar ending tongue.gif

I just had a thought about "Presto".

Neil recorded an entire show during the 2010 leg (I believe it was the PNC Centre in NJ), for his Instructional Recording he is releasing later this year.

Now, I'd imagine that most of the cameras will be focused on Neil (for obvious reasons), however, I would be surprised if they had no footage of Alex and Geddy at all - they could also mix in the wide angle, 'blimp-cam' and audience shots from the Cleveland recording into the PNC Recording to get one, mistake free version of Presto.

Just a thought.

Edited by Sir Lerxst

QUOTE (tapermike @ Apr 20 2011, 06:28 PM)
QUOTE (puscifer @ Apr 20 2011, 08:46 AM)
In my opinion just because mistakes are made during a show doesn't mean the show is ruined for me.  I've never been part of a crowd that was so amped up before, during and after a Rush show. I was fortunate enough to attend Toledo, Cleveland and Auburn Hills and honestly they may have played better in Auburn Hills, but the overall experience and show in Cleveland was much better. Just my 2 cents worth....

There is no doubt that Cleveland must have been an awesome experience. I wish I was there! However, in viewing the you tube clips of Cleveland and Detroit it did appear that the band played a better show in Detroit. My guess is that we have some great shows to come!

I was at both Cleveland and Detroit (and Toledo too) and I thought overall the show was a bit better at Cleveland. There were a few glitches in each show, but at least no instances of complete equipment failures like in Milwaukee last year which is another show I went to. Alex's guitar quit on him several times, but nowhere near as bad as Boston. If you want to see a train wreck look up the video of La Villa from Boston last summer. Seriously, I have never seen anything quite that "show stopping" before from Rush.

For a total experience, Cleveland definitely won out. There was so much energy that night it was incredible. I guess I don't quite understand the complaint that it was somehow "fake" because of the filming. I think everyone there was pumped about that, but it is not like most of the crowd ever had cameras directly on them or anything - maybe 1% were actively filmed in any sort of closeup manner. The entire crowd was pumped the whole evening, and the performance definitely fed into that - especially in the second half.

I have been to a lot of Rush concerts in a variety of places - Chicago, Milwaukee, Kansas City, Detroit, Columbus, Indy, and Cleveland. I have to say that the total concert experience was better in Cleveland this time than any other venue.

QUOTE (Sir Lerxst @ Apr 25 2011, 12:19 PM)

Neil recorded an entire show during the 2010 leg (I believe it was the PNC Centre in NJ), for his Instructional Recording he is releasing later this year.

Now, I'd imagine that most of the cameras will be focused on Neil (for obvious reasons), however, I would be surprised if they had no footage of Alex and Geddy at all - they could also mix in the wide angle, 'blimp-cam' and audience shots from the Cleveland recording into the PNC Recording to get one, mistake free version of Presto.

Just a thought.

I don't know, what if they were wearing different clothes or something? It would look too obvious... like 2112 in ASOH when Alex's guitar mysteriously changes in the middle of the song lol

QUOTE (mheider @ Apr 25 2011, 12:24 PM)

For a total experience, Cleveland definitely won out. There was so much energy that night it was incredible. I guess I don't quite understand the complaint that it was somehow "fake" because of the filming. I think everyone there was pumped about that, but it is not like most of the crowd ever had cameras directly on them or anything - maybe 1% were actively filmed in any sort of closeup manner. The entire crowd was pumped the whole evening, and the performance definitely fed into that - especially in the second half.

goodpost.gif I have a problem with these "crowd critics", how exactly did they participate during this historic night in C-town??? Quietly taking notes on 'fake' crowd reactions? eyesre4.gif

Ohhh I know when they cheered or clapped there hands it was honest and sincere not like the thousands of the rest of us all phoney!! "Lights, Camera, Action!" False Rush fans? .... I DON'T THINK SO!! no.gif

QUOTE (puscifer @ Apr 26 2011, 09:10 AM)
I know A LOT of hardcore Rush fans that traveled from all over the country to be at the Cleveland show. Does that still make it fake or staged because the energy level was higher for a dvd filming? Not In My Opinion it doesn't.

Considering the shit I went through just to be there with decent seats (two jobs for months, nightmare flights to get there, etc.), HELL YES my energy level was high! I had a camera on me for part of the evening (I had third row center seats), plus the boys really rose to the occasion. I rocked harder than ever before. Awesome show, as far as I am concerned.

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (SeamusWiles @ Apr 25 2011, 02:01 PM)
QUOTE (Sir Lerxst @ Apr 25 2011, 12:19 PM)

Just a thought.

I don't know, what if they were wearing different clothes or something? It would look too obvious... like 2112 in ASOH when Alex's guitar mysteriously changes in the middle of the song lol

Ideally they should include a bonus vid of Presto filmed at another show, without the glitch. Even the one Neil filmed for his instructional one would work, I guess.

They'll leave it in, I have no doubt about that. they left in the slight glitch on the solo at the end of Mission onthe Snakes dvd, too. Let it ride, warts and all.

(They will also likely see too much humour in the glitch correcting itself with Geddy singing "I'm just improvising" to fix it...)

I'm a bit bummed by it as it's my favourite part of the song and it would be a high point for me on the dvd, but this will at least be memorable in it's own way once it's released.

...FWIW I've noticed some "strained" transitions on a few other boots from this leg of the tour on the song Presto as neil has slightly changed his drum fills and Alex has added some additional guitar soloing as well. I would suggest that the culmination of these subtleties working their way into the setlist = inevitable trainwreck. Pity it happened on dvd night but whatareyagonnado?

I don't mind if they do keep the mistake in Presto in the finished product, but knowing Rush's nature of always fixing up live recordings in the scenario that there were screw ups during recording, (the ESL CD had intense overdubbing) they will most likely fix the mistake by overdubbing the audio and pan to the audience or someone like Alex to make the mistake inconspicuous on camera.

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Apr 26 2011, 06:15 PM)
I don't mind if they do keep the mistake in Presto in the finished product, but knowing Rush's nature of always fixing up live recordings in the scenario that there were screw ups during recording, (the ESL CD had intense overdubbing) they will most likely fix the mistake by overdubbing the audio and pan to the audience or someone like Alex to make the mistake inconspicuous on camera.

I dunno. they didn't do that on the Snakes dvd. Besides, the mindset might be different these days since they would know everyone and their dog would have seen or heard parts of the show via youtube, torrents, etc....and everyone knows about the mistake already.

We'll see.

QUOTE (Brava Doh! @ Apr 26 2011, 08:44 PM)
QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Apr 26 2011, 06:15 PM)

I dunno. they didn't do that on the Snakes dvd. Besides, the mindset might be different these days since they would know everyone and their dog would have seen or heard parts of the show via youtube, torrents, etc....and everyone knows about the mistake already.

We'll see.

They screwed up on the Snakes DVD? I didn't even catch any screw ups the last time I watched the DVD in full and I'm one of those people would immediately notice something wrong audio or video wise. I guess any screw ups they made during that show weren't that bad or noticeable to a casual viewer/listener.

Now with the Presto screw up, if Rush wanted to fix that part and I were a professional film and audio editor (which I want to pursue when I graduate HS and go to college) I would only overdub the lines "Don't ask me" in the space where he was suppose to sing it during the mess up. Just make sure the camera is not panned on Geddy and everything's fine. Neil's drums and Alex's guitars during that part were fine or wasn't that bad of a trainwreck to need overdub. I actually had to do a rough edit on Audacity to see if my idea for fixing the performance up actually worked and it did although it sounded choppy considering I don't have all the professional tools to do all this stuff yet.

If they fix the problem somehow or not it's anyone's guess but regardless, I found it to be an awesome performance of the song so it's a Win-Win situation anyway, for me at least. Can't wait for the CD/DVD of it though.

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Apr 26 2011, 09:55 PM)
They screwed up on the Snakes DVD? I didn't even catch any screw ups the last time I watched the DVD in full and I'm one of those people would immediately notice something wrong audio or video wise.

Check out Alex's solo at the end of "Mission". Neil is out of sync with his drum part.

I guess it is a minor thing, but given how riveting I found that song on that tour, I listened to it on youtube and via bootleg tons from different venues, so I noticed it right away.

It's nothing like Presto in terms of a screw-up, but it's there....and truthfully, I don't mind it now. It's a nice quirk in one version of the song to my ear.