Cleveland thoughts

geddy's words after last song: BEST AUDIENCE EVER!!!!!!!!!

different lights (rafter set up above floor seats) and a few added time machine amps or whatever you want to call them on either side of the stage.

Band was great, no real glitches at all- they NAILED spirit of the radio- were a little(tiny teeny bit) tight for a while after that- but still sounded superb. they really hammed it up tonight.

crowd was SICK: loud and standing- lots of movement.lerxt was mr GQ for the moving pictures part of the set.

cool blimp that floated around the whole night with a camera.

there was NO mention of the filming from geddy- which a lot of people were hoping for i think.

Neil was like a 30 year old during his solo tonight.

there was a group of4-5 guys dressed up in orange/red jumpsuits just like the moving pictures album cover guys- they really looked cool and were taking pics with people all over the arena...funny.

the crowd was(considerably) louder than the band when they wanted to be.

what an experience folks! i've seen them a TON of times and this was the best RUSH experience ever.

so tired now...i video recorded a good 8-9 songs in HD that i'll get up soon.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, the show was off the hook. It was incredible how loud the crowd got at times. I was on the floor (section 6) and we were louder than the guys were! Especially after 2112, Geddy could barely introduce Far Cry over the roar. The crowd and the band created such an energy, it was certainly an experience!

I've seen Rush three times now, and this was, BY FAR, the absolute best show.

Fantastic! I knew we could count on you guys to represent for all of us on the DVD. Glad it was such a great time for all. I am SO envious! ph34r.gif

OK, so what's the DVD-release equivalent of "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?"

Because that will be my mantra now smile.gif Thanks for the show report, guys, it sounds like it was a worthy candidate for filming and should be killer on the small screen.

Hello all--I'm a casual Rush fan and saw them for the 1st time in Cleveland last night. Great show--thoroughly enjoyed it. As a former drummer, I was in awe of Peart, he's amazing. Anyway, I did have one question for you diehards. I was very disappointed that my fav Rush song, Fly By Night, was not played and after doing some setlist research, it appears they really don't play it. Does anyone know why? Thanks in advance and enjoy the music!

http://www.cleveland.com/popmusic/index.ss...light_with.html

I can't speak and I'm getting ready to go back to the "Q" and try to

cheer? our Monsters in game one AHL playoffs against Manitoba. smile.gif

2.gif Some enchanted evening indeed!!!!

QUOTE (softfilter @ Apr 16 2011, 08:10 AM)
http://www.cleveland.com/popmusic/index.ss...light_with.html
I can't speak and I'm getting ready to go back to the "Q" and try to
cheer? our Monsters in game one AHL playoffs against Manitoba. smile.gif
2.gif Some enchanted evening indeed!!!!

You are a trooper! I was going to do the same but decided not to. Rush and hockey...it doesn't get more Canadian than that! trink39.gif

QUOTE (badeepster @ Apr 16 2011, 09:07 AM)
Hello all--I'm a casual Rush fan and saw them for the 1st time in Cleveland last night. Great show--thoroughly enjoyed it. As a former drummer, I was in awe of Peart, he's amazing. Anyway, I did have one question for you diehards. I was very disappointed that my fav Rush song, Fly By Night, was not played and after doing some setlist research, it appears they really don't play it. Does anyone know why? Thanks in advance and enjoy the music!

It probably has to do with Geddy's voice. Fly by Night is sung really high.

I wish I could have been there sad.gif I had to settle for Toledo. (Great show, too)

Edited by Tommy Sawyer

I was at the Cleveland show last night, after catching Rush back in September in Pittsburgh. First off, I really liked that Q-arena ... much more so than the brand-new Pitt one. We had club seats just to the side of Alex (fabulous seats). Sound was excellent. Compared to the Pittsburgh show, Geddy's voice also was much more "tight" and together ... no real off notes. In Pitt, he hit a few clunkers (poor thing).

My one gripe: It has nothing to do with Rush. This was my first time ever in Cleveland. We were there at the arena (in our car) an hour before the show, andstill could not find parking for seemingly ever. "Lot Full" was posted everywhere. The Cleveland Indians were in town and playing right next door to the (sold out) arena. Finally we found parking and made it in ... but missed the opening and first three songs (which is okay, as I have seen them on this tour before). But, Cleveland, was' up with no parking anywhere??

Also: "RUSHGIRL" passed us on the way there. Nice license plate!

The show last night was killer. Saw them in Columbus, OH last year and they were good then. This show was an order of magnitude tighter and the guys were loving life the whole night.

QUOTE (badeepster @ Apr 16 2011, 08:07 AM)

Well, I've been going to Rush concerts since 1990 and don't recall ever hearing them play it. I don't think it has anything to do with Geddy's voice. They've just chosen not to perform that song for some reason or another.

I mean, they've sung Finding My Way from time to time and that's at least as high pitched. Dunno confused13.gif

QUOTE (01GT Eibach @ Apr 16 2011, 10:17 AM)

My one gripe:  It has nothing to do with Rush.  This was my first time ever in Cleveland.  We were there at the arena (in our car) an hour before the show, andstill could not find parking for seemingly ever.  "Lot Full" was posted everywhere.  The Cleveland Indians were in town and playing right next door to the (sold out) arena.  Finally we found parking and made it in ... but missed the opening and first three songs (which is okay, as I have seen them on this tour before).  But, Cleveland, was' up with no parking anywhere??!

In addition to the concert and ball game, there was also a film festival going on. Having lived in Northeast Ohio all my life, there are TONS and TONS of places to park. But they aren't obvious and with three major events on the same night they aren't always plentiful. Few cities can support that kind of event traffic in such close proximity to one and other.

I've had a look at a few videos and pictures. The guys are playing top notch, they really are. I didn't notice a whole load of cameras though, the exception being some sort of "Blimp-cam".

It'll be interesting to see the DVD, where the camera men were all hiding.

QUOTE (jesse2112 @ Apr 16 2011, 02:45 PM)
Question: Did Cleveland give a better audience than Rio '02?

answer: yes.gif cleveland was not as crazy as rio, BUT cleveland is also much cooler- can hold it together and we have seen rush a few times before, so we didn't need to pee our pants.

LOVE the rio crowd/dvd. but cleveland rocks.

no other city has that claim to fame. 653.gif

we don't have a lot else to hang our hats on wink.gif

and remember- geddy him self said...(and i quote): "best audience EVER!"

I don't know how you could get more rabid than 40-60,000 fans at once.

But like Rio - we WERE singing to YYZ (and others), and at times you could hear the crowd well over the band.

No.

The Cleveland crowd was great but thats because they were filming and everybody in the arena knew it.

It was a phenominal atmosphere but you could feel that it was a bit forced.

That didnt take anything away from the show, but had there been no film crew and extra lights it would have been an entirely different story.

Best North American crowd I've ever seen.. but not better than Rio.

QUOTE (Snaked @ Apr 16 2011, 03:43 PM)

No.

The Cleveland crowd was great but thats because they were filming and everybody in the arena knew it.

It was a phenominal atmosphere but you could feel that it was a bit forced.

That didnt take anything away from the show, but had there been no film crew and extra lights it would have been an entirely different story.

Best North American crowd I've ever seen.. but not better than Rio.

cleveland shows are actually a lot like last night, EVERY night.

having seen numerous bands- same tour- different cities, and comparing crowds- NO other city rocks like cleveland.

it did have something to do with the whole video taping...but not much.

and unless you have been to shows in cleveland other than last night, you'll just have to take my word. biggrin.gif