Rush mentioned in Foo Fighters review

Red_Lenses

QUOTE (Tony R @ Apr 12 2011, 05:45 PM)
Page "vanished".

Wow, that's what I first saw too until I fixed it...now it's doing the same thing again. Maybe they don't like linking to their articles?

Anyway, if the link doesn't work for you, just enter "Foo Fighters" into their search engine and click the first result below the sponsored links ("Foo Fighters' 'Wasting Light' review: Like most Foo CDs, the music charms from start to finish")

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 12 2011, 02:52 PM)
Page "vanished".

Wow, that's what I first saw too until I fixed it...now it's doing the same thing again. Maybe they don't like linking to their articles?

Anyway, if the link doesn't work for you, just enter "Foo Fighters" into their search engine and click the first result below the sponsored links ("Foo Fighters' 'Wasting Light' review: Like most Foo CDs, the music charms from start to finish")

all the reviewer says is "Rope" has a riff Rush would kill for. whatever.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Apr 12 2011, 05:56 PM)
Page "vanished".

Yeah, typical. Meanwhile, Rush was one of the bands that influenced them in the first place.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 12 2011, 06:04 PM)
Page "vanished".

Yeah, typical. Meanwhile, Rush was one of the bands that influenced them in the first place.

My immediate thought when I saw that as well. yes.gif

Page "vanished".

laugh.gif

No shit. Pretty lame comment.

While I respect the Foo Fighters for their admiration of Rush; saying that they have a song with a prog-rock riff that Rush would kill for is a bit of an overstatement. Have they ever heard Natural Science???

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Apr 12 2011, 05:51 PM)
Yeah the Rush thing was a pretty stupid comment to make by the reviewer.

On a side note, has anyone picked up this album and what do you think? It's on the agenda this weekend

I have it, and it's AWESOME. IMO it's arguably their best ever. To be fair to the reviewer, I thought the song, Rope, sounded a bit like Rush as well - at least until Grohl starts singing. I'm not being crass, it's just that he sounds nothing like Geddy Lee.

There are plenty of places online where you can hear the full album stream. Doesn't anyone think the above mentioned song sounds a bit Rush-ish at the beginning? Anyone?

Clem

QUOTE (Snyder80 @ Apr 12 2011, 08:23 PM)
While I respect the Foo Fighters for their admiration of Rush; saying that they have a song with a prog-rock riff that Rush would kill for is a bit of an overstatement. Have they ever heard Natural Science???

The reviewer obviously comes from the Rolling Stone school of music critiquing, which means you must find a way to take a dig at Rush even while the popular band you're fawning over has been influenced by Rush...which, in the case of that riff in "Rope," is what made the reviewer think of Rush in the first place.

And, what does "Nat Sci" have to do with it? Not every prog-sounding riff has to be some ultra-tricky array of notes in a 7/8 time signature.

That said, I think "Rope" is a real good song because it's a real good song, not because it has a slightly Rush-sounding riff in it.

And the other thing Rush-like in this song, which I mentioned in another recent thread, is Foo's drummer Taylor Hawkins using that syncopated ride cymbal pattern that is one of Neil's trademarks ("Spirit of Radio," "Far Cry," "YYZ," "Body Electric," etc.). You hear it in "Rope's" chorus.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 13 2011, 06:58 AM)
QUOTE (Echoes @ Apr 12 2011, 10:54 PM)
I just don't hear it.  confused13.gif

i don't hear it either. if i heard it on the radio i would change the station. i do however like soap on a rope. tongue.gif

How about pope soap-on-a-rope?

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f96/lizartpix/Myspace%20Comments/popesoaponarope.jpg

Dumb comment in the review, but Rope 100% has a Rush vibe:

1. When the single first came out, my friend thought it was a Rush song he'd never heard before, until the vocals came in

2. I recently read an interview with Taylor Hawkins where he said something like "I think I owe Neil Peart most of the royalties for the chorus in this song"

That comment about Rush was pretty dumb. That point aside, Rope is an awesome song. It has touches of Rush throughout. The chorus cymbal ride, the guitar solo (reminds me of Alex shredding at the end of 2112 during Grand Finale), etc. Besides that song, however, the album is a huge disappointment to me. I was hoping they would have had more songs similar to Rope, experimenting with a prog-rock sound. Oh well.

Archived