Neil Peart and Touring - Roadshow

Flet

Reading his book Roadshow, which I got for Christmas. Seems that the master of drums, who is seemingly shy with fans, really seems to hate the idea of touring, being famous etc.... It's sad really because it causes him so much stress to do something that so many dream of. Especially when he compares it to Alex and Geddy.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hes just not good with people/crowds/mass attention. some people are like that. Thats why Ged & Alex do the rounds to make up the gap...

I have no problem as long as I have their music and shows to see

QUOTE (Flet @ Apr 11 2011, 11:46 AM)
It's sad really because it causes him so much stress to do something that so many dream of.  Especially when he compares it to Alex and Geddy.

Yup, sad but true. The only time he enjoys touring is when he's on 2 wheels. It's rather amazing how isolated he's able to keep himself from pretty much everyone (including band mates & crew), when he's on the road. The first time I visited Rush on tour, I was told to not get too close to Neil's bus and if he's around, DO NOT approach him. I've "encountered" him backstage twice over the last couple of years and if he doesn't know you, he looks at you with an icy cold glare that chills you to the bone. I'm sure it's just a defense mechanism on his part, but still...

See, now that's just stupid. Don't let him treat you like that simply because he's a star.

I love neil, but jesus christ, he's borderline sociopath. The icy cold glare just makes him seem like an asshole.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Apr 11 2011, 01:20 PM)
See, now that's just stupid. Don't let him treat you like that simply because he's a star.

I love neil, but jesus christ, he's borderline sociopath. The icy cold glare just makes him seem like an asshole.

if you ever walk past him just say, you know toe blake? no?

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Apr 11 2011, 01:39 PM)
Hmmm. I've never heard that about Neil.

Interesting.

LMAO!!!!! laugh.gif

He's that way with just about everyone, but that's just Neil. "Borderline sociopath"... sure, well within the realm of possibility, but many brilliant & talented people throughout history have been too.

I think once you go from playing smaller to bigger venues with massive amounts of attention, it becomes a lot to handle. I can't say I blame Neil for wanting isolation, as I'm the same way on most days. It's a bit disappointing to see Alex and Geddy take the load for media relations and such, because I'm sure Neil gives a great interview on some subjects. That's how it is I suppose.

People are people.

He chooses to communicate through his web site and his books. I haven't read any of his books, but didn't someone mentioned that he stated in one of his books that he simply tours so he can "make all the money" that he's grown accustomed to?

Clem

How can anyone judge him if you haven't been in his shoes? I think it would be difficult for most to handle. Pressure for the outside for sure and some self imposed I'm sure. Neil has a high standard to live up to every night. World's best rock drummer to many. For someone with a shy personality to begin with the whole tour grind just makes everything a little tougher to deal with. Neil needs his space and I can't blame him. I'm sure some of his thoughts and actions get misinterpreted as well. As he says in the book.......it really bothers him that some people think he is a d*** without knowing him.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 11 2011, 01:46 PM)
How can anyone judge him if you haven't been in his shoes? I think it would be difficult for most to handle. Pressure for the outside for sure and some self imposed I'm sure. Neil has a high standard to live up to every night. World's best rock drummer to many. For someone with a shy personality to begin with the whole tour grind just makes everything a little tougher to deal with. Neil needs his space and I can't blame him. I'm sure some of his thoughts and actions get misinterpreted as well. As he says in the book.......it really bothers him that some people think he is a d*** without knowing him.

Thank you. I was thinking (mostly) the same thing.

Have any of you actually been in a touring band? It can be incredibly difficult. Yes, they are playing music (which they love and justifiably feel fortunate to be doing it for a living), but the spaces between showtimes can be hell. Look at how many people have fallen into addiction of some kind (or worse, perished) because they couldn't handle the road or being away from their families?

Or is Neil's mistake being honest about how much of a drag the road can be, and shattering people's simplified illusions about "Hey man, we're in a BAND, it's SOO cool. The ROAD, baby!!!!!"??

If he needs that isolation to keep himself sane while touring, so be it. Better that than alcoholism or drug abuse.

And who really gives a sh*t if Neil appears to be a sociopath? Lots of creative people are not what you'd call "socially perfect"....

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 11 2011, 04:46 PM)

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 11 2011, 08:46 PM)
it really bothers him that some people think he is a d*** without knowing him.

It does?

He should stop being a dick then, and the world would be Hunky Dory smile.gif

actually from what ive read in his books, when he is away from the band world, and is just a guy somewhere he tends to be a much more open person. But in RUSH WORLD im sure he walls off totally, since 99.999999% people want to tell him EVERYTHING RUSH means to them. which after a deacade or two I guess can be a challange to an ordinary man, and maybe insurmountable to others. It also appears that Geddy and Alex dont mind us all so much, and have no problem tending to the non music type obligations that go with that status

What don't you get? Being "famous" is a pain in the a$$! People want something from you 24/7... The man wants to do his job, and go home at night...period! The "fame" thing unfortunately goes along with it.

Until it got out of hand, he used to answer mail from anyone that sent him something in care of Modern Drummer Magazine (I got two postcards, and he answered my questions) I think he used to do the occasional meet and greet, and local radio interview, but ever since his first wife passed away, he stopped, and Alex and Geddy handle it....I'm overjoyed that he signed the album I just sent to the Giant Center in Hershey, PA...he really didn't have to do that?!?!

I don't have issue with his feelings.....

About 9 or 10 years ago, I happened to be doing some work in the office where his father worked.

I met the receptionist there, and asked her if Neil had ever come by. She said he'd come by frequently very early in their career, and commented that he was an incredibly shy guy.

I know tons of people who are shy by nature, and it occured to me that the combination of being shy, and being famous, must not be alot of fun.

What strikes me today is that Neil doesn't seem shy, as much as he seems uncomfortable with people fawning over him.

All I know for sure is that until you walk a mile in a man's shoes.......

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Apr 11 2011, 05:19 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 11 2011, 08:46 PM)
it really bothers him that some people think he is a d*** without knowing him.

It does?

He should stop being a dick then, and the world would be Hunky Dory smile.gif

i hope that was sarcasm..

Red meat for the Neil haters. Typical. Perhaps it's a deep-seated envy?

Ya know what? Nobody gives a damn what you think about Neil or anyone else. Go flog it somewhere else. beathorse.gif

I'm introverted as f**k, but you don't see me going around glaring at people like they are the devil. It's called self control, and apparently, he has none.

I get the isolation thing, but hey. If I run into him, I'm GONNA say hi. It's just instinct.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Apr 11 2011, 10:18 PM)
I'm introverted as f**k, but you don't see me going around glaring at people like they are the devil. It's called self control, and apparently, he has none.

I get the isolation thing, but hey. If I run into him, I'm GONNA say hi. It's just instinct.

In defense of Neil and as he says in the book again you never know when a Dimebag Darrell situation could occur especially at work around the stage area and such. Some psycho that is reading hidden messages in the lyrics could be lying in wait. Is it likely? Probably not. But Neil is real leery over situations like that and he has had stalkers in the past. I don't know what translates into cold stare as I wasn't there and I also don't know where this individual was wondering around at. I think I'd just as soon NOT encounter Neil. He pretty much single handedly got me playing drums 27 years ago and a chance encounter with my biggest inspiration would probably be a disappointment if you have any kind of expectations.

QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Apr 11 2011, 02:59 PM)

He's that way with just about everyone, but that's just Neil. "Borderline sociopath"... sure, well within the realm of possibility, but many brilliant & talented people throughout history have been too.

I totally believe you about the chill reception from Neil when you happened to almost cross his path. Perhaps it was a territory thing as well as show nerves? And I bet he's got a stare that could freeze your heart, if he were so inclined.

But the more he reveals about himself - he's always been socially awkward. Shy kid, reticent teen. I'd hardly call that sociopathic, though - he's not going to go out and start slaughtering his fans at random!

Frankly I'm astonished Neil was down with a second leg of this tour, given that he was so obviously unhappy about being away from his family on the last one.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Apr 11 2011, 10:18 PM)

I've read a couple times of people encountering him in public and he's been perfectly cordial. They weren't pushy, or demanding, just thanked him and everyone was on their way. I even read on a message board about a guy who ran into Neil at a bookstore and said he was a nice guy.

I don't think he's that bad -- at least not from what I've read. From him and other sources. And concerning running into him around the time of a show or backstage, can you really blame him? It's such an enormous amount of pressure knowing you'll be performing in front of thousands and knowing the collective work ethic of Rush, they each give their all each performance. Heck, if I have to do a recital in front of a mere thirty people my nerves are way up. I am not a fun person to be around prior to a performance. Who knows? Maybe even so many years of public performance don't just smooth out the nerves.

Yes, he's in the public eye and that's the life he chose. But like I said -- stress is a terrible thing! I'd give the guy a break.

(Besides, if he was even a borderline sociopath, do you think he'd still be touring and doing the occasional interview?)

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Apr 11 2011, 11:18 PM)

Are you as famous as Neil? I'm thinking no. Kind of a big difference between you and him, yes?

Archived