Yes Noob

Tommy Sawyer

Hey everybody - I'm fairly new to Yes and I have a few albums. (The Yes Album, Fragile, CTTE) I was wondering which album to get next - TFTO or Relayer? confused13.gif And then what?

BTW - I was listening to both TFTO and Relayer on Grooveshark, they both sound really good.

I'm not too familiar with TFTO, but I like Relayer a lot.

After these two, I'd get Going For The One and Yes (self-titled). Then get Time And A Word, Tormato (which many hate, but I like it), and Drama.

90125 (which contains their hit Owner of a Lonely Heart) is good, but its more of a pop album than a prog album. Big Generator and Talk are also decent, but again they are pop albums.

The Ladder and Magnification are sort of a "return to form" and worth picking up later on.

Open Your Eyes and Union have their moments, but they are widely considered Yes's worst albums, so stay away from them.

Anderson Bruford Wakeman and Howe is a good side project, and Squire's solo album Fish Out Of Water is good. They are very Yes-like.

Yes has a huge discography, and you have their 3 best albums so you've heard the best.

I hope this isn't too overwelming laugh.gif Yes is a great band and they're one of my favorites.

Doesn't matter what order you get them in, everything from the debut through Drama (and I suppose 90125) is must-have stuff. Anything after that is buyer-beware, some good stuff but a ton of crap to wade through to get to it.

Relayer is my personal favorite Yes album besides Close to the Edge so I'd tell you to go for that one next. You can't go wrong either way though.

Get 90125 if you want to hear the 80's yes.. I don't recommend you even bother with anything from Big Generator to The Ladder... They should just make a greatest hits from the albums in that bunch so we don't have to be bothered with skipping several tracks biggrin.gif

Only songs I listen to from those albums, if ever, are:

Big Generator

Shoot High Aim Low (actually, a very good song)

Lift Me Up

Saving my Heart

The Calling

That, That is

Mind Drive

Open Your Eyes

New Language

Essential Yes albums are:

Time and a Word

The Yes Album

Fragile

Close to the Edge

Tales from Topographic Oceans

Going for the One

Relayer

Drama (somewhat)

90125 (meh)

Keystuido (meh)

Magnification (somewhat)

and that's it.

I envy that you're going to get to hear TFTO and Relayer in their entirety for the first time. What amazing albums.

They're much more musically deep than the ones that came before, I wouldn't be surprised if on first listen you thought it was crap and had to keep replaying to find the good. Enjoy!

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Apr 10 2011, 08:13 AM)
I envy that you're going to get to hear TFTO and Relayer in their entirety for the first time. What amazing albums.

They're much more musically deep than the ones that came before, I wouldn't be surprised if on first listen you thought it was crap and had to keep replaying to find the good. Enjoy!

It's not my first time. As I said, I've been listening to them on Grooveshark. Just not that much wink.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 10 2011, 07:04 AM)
Thanks a lot- I think I'll go with TFTO

Tales From Topographic Oceans is wonderful; you should have great time discovering that for yourself. All four tracks have a lot of interesting things going on, though some of it (The Ancient, in particular) takes a little more patience to appreciate.

And then, just think....Relayer is even better!!

QUOTE (spitball @ Apr 10 2011, 08:20 AM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 10 2011, 07:04 AM)
Thanks a lot- I think I'll go with TFTO

Tales From Topographic Oceans is wonderful; you should have great time discovering that for yourself. All four tracks have a lot of interesting things going on, though some of it (The Ancient, in particular) takes a little more patience to appreciate.

And then, just think....Relayer is even better!!

Yeah, I can't wait to buy it, might be a while though

QUOTE (Soni @ Apr 10 2011, 04:40 PM)
Yes is nice
King Crimson is better.
wink.gif

King Crimson is nice

Yes was better.

wink.gif

fixed(imo)

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 9 2011, 09:33 PM)
Hey everybody - I'm fairly new to Yes and I have a few albums. (The Yes Album, Fragile, CTTE) I was wondering which album to get next - TFTO or Relayer? confused13.gif And then what?

BTW - I was listening to both TFTO and Relayer on Grooveshark, they both sound really good.

Sorry if i overlooked it, but " going for the one" is a very powerful pack of songs. Make sure that ends up in your collection.

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Apr 11 2011, 04:30 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 9 2011, 09:33 PM)
Hey everybody - I'm fairly new to Yes and I have a few albums. (The Yes Album, Fragile, CTTE) I was wondering which album to get next - TFTO or Relayer? confused13.gif  And then what?

Sorry if i overlooked it, but " going for the one" is a very powerful pack of songs. Make sure that ends up in your collection.

I'm eventually trying to get them all, but I don't quite have enough money for that now. Besides, I have to finish my 2.gif collection first. tongue.gif

I never got into TFTO. Relayer is probably my favorite Yes album with CTTE a close second.

Get Relayer.

Archived