Geddy's bassesest moments

Good,bad,andrush

Your favorite eargasm inducing bass moments from Dirk. My favorite headache included.

I was listening to the fountain of lamneth today, and never noticed he does a different bass fill (I guess you can call it that) in the second part of Bacchus plateau. It's incredible, he throws extra notes in there and it's perfect, somewhere around the fifteen/sixteen minute mark.

Your favorite bass moments?

only one I can think of off the top of my head right now is the little Bass Solo in La Villa Strangiato. Only cause I just listened to it. lol

Another one for me is yyz live in rio...at the very end, it's just him and Neil. It's on the studio version too, but here it is more clearly defined and ass-kicking.

Another great one is practically all of digital man wub.gif

Turn the Page on A Show of Hands. Anyone with any experience playing guitar or bass can appreciate the fact that Geddy is playing this amazingly complicated riff on the bass during the verses and singing a melody that is a complete counter rhythm to what he's playing on the bass. He never misses a note - vocally or on his bass. Trust me this is very, very hard to do.

YYZ - the third bass solo, ending with the harmonics. All of the bass is fantastic but that particular section is my favourite

The Big Money - that riff at 4:56 where the bass comes back in

The Weapon - all of the little solos, particularly at the end

Subdivisions - half way through Alex's solo where Geddy goes all the way up the neck

Hemispheres - the whole of Prelude

New World Man & The Enemy Within - just really fun songs to play all the way through!

Grand Designs - another underrated song that's a lot of fun to play

Also seconding the comment about Countdown and Geddy's tone. His sound on Signals is really full and powerful, makes me wish I could afford a Rick!

YYZ - the third bass solo, ending with the harmonics. All of the bass is fantastic but that particular section is my favourite

yes.gif

Every time I hear that, I have to take a second to acknowledge it's epicocity.

The bass in Prime Mover is kick-ass.

Leave That Thing Alone and Driven both do it for me, too.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 29 2011, 12:23 AM)
All of "Digital Man" and "Hemispheres." Wall-to-wall monster bass playing.

BAM!

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Mar 29 2011, 12:21 AM)
Turn the Page on A Show of Hands. Anyone with any experience playing guitar or bass can appreciate the fact that Geddy is playing this amazingly complicated riff on the bass during the verses and singing a melody that is a complete counter rhythm to what he's playing on the bass. He never misses a note - vocally or on his bass. Trust me this is very, very hard to do.

BOOM!!!

The live version of Driven from Different Stages has that awesome bass break which almost seems to be over and then he just wails for a few seconds right before Neil and then Alex come back in.

The end of Red Barchetta, especially live versions.

That super deep, break your speakers part at the beginning of Neurotica.

The opening few seconds of My Favorite Headache.

All of Permanent Waves.

In Tom Sawyer the mini moog part is taken over by guitar and then Geddy takes over on bass as Alex begins to solo.

I could go on all day. 1022.gif GeddyFinal.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Mar 29 2011, 08:26 AM)
The live version of Driven from Different Stages has that awesome bass break which almost seems to be over and then he just wails for a few seconds right before Neil and then Alex come back in.

All of Permanent Waves.

In Tom Sawyer the mini moog part is taken over by guitar and then Geddy takes over on bass as Alex begins to solo.

I could go on all day. 1022.gif GeddyFinal.gif 1022.gif

Funny, with Red Barchetta I much prefer his classic studio version and how he stayed true to it on the MP and Exit Stage Left Tours.

Something about the space and drama of that bass part that just get's me everytime.

I truly wish he would stop all the noodling at the end and play it just like he recorded it. To me it cheapens the song. The drama and tension is gone from that beautiful passage.

It was perfect and was best for the song as he recorded it.

I'm a bass player because of Geddy's "bassesest moments." There are too many for me to list them! laugh.gif

Oh heavens. So many. As others have said, too many to list! At the moment, I'm slightly obsessed with the isolated bass audio track from The Camera Eye. I'm particularly fascinated by the bits punctuating the line "So light yet endless from a leaden sky" at 2:05 on this YouTube clip:
That's some pretty darned bassy bass right there! laugh.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kse01ftDAU0 - while his playing is superb during all of Bytor, listen to the crazy fill he does at 7:30-7:33. Insane!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNkAtgX-HT4 - from 3:37 to 3:47. I so wish that Youtube had the PoW Philly version of this song, as the bass was a lot more upfront. If you have that bootleg, listen to the corresponding part on that one instead.

I second the nomination for Turn the Page. Should I ever happen to learn the bassline to that song, there is no way in hell I'd ever be able to sing at the same time.

And I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it, so I will: Circumstances. That whole song has a fairly wacky bassline. You can hear it very well on this live version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49q59A8OhM8

Digital Man

Big Money

Alien Shore

Marathon

Red Barchetta

The Trees

Xanadu

Christ I could name 50 easy.

QUOTE (Todem @ Mar 29 2011, 10:40 AM)
Digital Man
Big Money
Alien Shore
Marathon
Red Barchetta
The Trees
Xanadu

Christ I could name 50 easy.

I'm sure if I said Alex's craziest guitar moments and Neil's craziest drum fills...we could practically name every song laugh.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 29 2011, 09:28 AM)
I'm a bass player because of Geddy's "bassesest moments."  There are too many for me to list them!  laugh.gif

Same for me. I would be remiss if I didn't mention the entirety of both YYZ and Malignant Narcissism, both of which never cease to blow my mind. But rather than taking the hours it would require to put together a list of all my favorite bass moments, I would also like to bring attention to one in particular that is always overlooked in this area: Peaceable Kingdom. The bass during the "talk of a peaceable kingdom" part is just stunning. No matter what you think of VT, if you're not familiar with what I'm talking about, go listen to it right now. It's amazing.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 29 2011, 07:28 AM)
I'm a bass player because of Geddy's "bassesest moments." There are too many for me to list them! laugh.gif

me too!

but I do have to give honorable mention to The solo sections of Limelight, Freewill and A Farewell to Kings.

Oh, and the Trees.

QUOTE (Todem @ Mar 29 2011, 08:35 AM)
QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Mar 29 2011, 08:26 AM)

All of Permanent Waves.

I could go on all day.  1022.gif  GeddyFinal.gif  1022.gif

Funny, with Red Barchetta I much prefer his classic studio version and how he stayed true to it on the MP and Exit Stage Left Tours.

Something about the space and drama of that bass part that just get's me everytime.

I truly wish he would stop all the noodling at the end and play it just like he recorded it. To me it cheapens the song. The drama and tension is gone from that beautiful passage.

It was perfect and was best for the song as he recorded it.

If I had to choose only one version to own it would be the original studio version, but I just love how the live version seems to almost fall apart and then all three of them just come together to end it and Neil taps out a few random sounds. The live ending still keeps that aura for me. It is one of the best "mood" songs they ever wrote.

Does anyone know if that one part in The Necromancer is Geddy? Right before the fast guitar solo it sounds like he is dragging a pick up and down on the strings of the bass even though he doesn't use a pick. What ever it is I like it.

Archived