I feel like we are a secret unity

reani14

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Mar 28 2011, 03:31 PM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Mar 27 2011, 10:46 PM)
I was out washing my rare sportbike when a guy who was walking by sees it and excitedly asked me questions about it.  When I stood up from washing the rear tire he saw my test for echo shirt. The guy started stammering and said "wow, you like Rush too".  I thought he was going to ask me out next smile.gif  Nice guy tho...

What? You mean you didn't take the opportunity to slam them like you do around here all the time??? tongue.gif

Oh, yeah. Totally analogous situation.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
its a much different world now, there are a lot more people in our club now. Which is great, it amazes me to see so many hot girls at the shows now, who even know the songs. There was a time when ya didnt mention Rush until AFTER ya got laid, or theyd never talk to ya again. Some of us fans from the 70's & 80's got used to either not talking about it anyomre or defending it to the point of blows at parties sometimes. people were dicks then. now there are a just a bunch of dicks who like Tom Sawyer, plus a lot more Rush fans we can talk to about it.

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Mar 28 2011, 01:47 PM)
its a much different world now, there are a lot more people in our club now. Which is great, it amazes me to see so many hot girls at the shows now, who even know the songs. There was a time when ya didnt mention Rush until AFTER ya got laid, or theyd never talk to ya again. Some of us fans from the 70's & 80's got used to either not talking about it anyomre or defending it to the point of blows at parties sometimes. people were dicks then. now there are a just a bunch of dicks who like Tom Sawyer, plus a lot more Rush fans we can talk to about it.

Its because all the geek girls that you never noticed grew up and got hot. All those girls liked Rush but you never noticed them before.

QUOTE (-Jane- @ Mar 28 2011, 04:52 PM)

Its because all the geek girls that you never noticed grew up and got hot. All those girls liked Rush but you never noticed them before.

maybe I should have said that better, young hot girls. I think that if there was ANY girl at all who liked Rush in my town growing up...I would have known and prob tried to marry her. They just didnt exist late 70's/early 80's by me at ;east

I usually don't even bother to tell people I'm a 2.gif fan and if I do I preface it with something like, "I'm a big fan of an old band called 2.gif ." Since I'm a geezer most of the people I mention them to know who they are but sometimes they don't. I never get too heavy into conversation 'cuz most people aren't a rabid as us (meaning TRF'ers) and I don't wanna bore them with something they more than likely don't give a crap about.

I have pics of Rush up at work that serve to break the ice with those of my customers who are interested. One once said, "You're the only girl I know who likes Rush". I'd never even thought about female fans being rare until I became one, but my tastes are different than a lot of womens' across the board. Or, should I say deck? tongue.gif

So does Deckiller's name have a double meaning? ph34r.gif

I have talked to a few women about Rush, and there seems to be a trend of them liking Rush somewhat, but having had a male relative or friend who overplayed them. I don't think you could overplay Rush to me, though. Bring 'em on!

Geddy is right: Rush is the world's biggest cult band. Their albums all go gold or platinum, their concerts sell-out everytime they tour, and yet finding Rush fans in everyday life is difficult! laugh.gif It seems impossible, but I guess that's how the numbers crunch: you can sell millions of albums and still have millions of people who don't know your stuff!

That's why we need the online Rush community and RushCon: for the chance to talk with like-minded Rush fans, because you rarely find them in everyday life.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Mar 28 2011, 10:37 PM)
I have pics of Rush up at work that serve to break the ice with those of my customers who are interested. One once said, "You're the only girl I know who likes Rush". I'd never even thought about female fans being rare until I became one, but my tastes are different than a lot of womens' across the board. Or, should I say deck? tongue.gif

So does Deckiller's name have a double meaning? ph34r.gif

I have talked to a few women about Rush, and there seems to be a trend of them liking Rush somewhat, but having had a male relative or friend who overplayed them. I don't think you could overplay Rush to me, though. Bring 'em on!

I can second this. There is a certain "rarified air" in being a female Rush fan. It gets you admission into at least one area of the boys' clubhouse.

I know I've posted before about my high school years and going to Rush concerts with 6-8 guy friends. Now, Rush was just one thing we all had in common - we were a pretty tight group anyway (and 100% platonic), but on concert nights I for some reason got "special" treatment from my guy friends. Things like letting me hog the binoculars on the occasions we had bad seats, or they'd buy me sodas & food. We'd hang outside the Omni for several hours prior to the show, and it almost seemed like they were proud to have a full-on female Rush fanatic in their midst.

And god, single ladies - try going to a Rush concert BY YOURSELF. You will not be alone for long, although you can't be terribly choosy about the company. I went to the HYF show alone, had a great time.

QUOTE (reani14 @ Mar 27 2011, 12:41 PM)
Seems like most people never heard of rush or even know rush, specially if you talk music in a bar to strangers. I would love to meet a real rush fan somewhere and talk real rush. not just. oh i heard tom sawyer and limelight before...

trink39.gif

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Mar 28 2011, 05:19 PM)

maybe I should have said that better, young hot girls. I think that if there was ANY girl at all who liked Rush in my town growing up...I would have known and prob tried to marry her. They just didnt exist late 70's/early 80's by me at ;east

This is interesting to me because all of my friends at that time liked Rush. None of us would have been considered "geeks". Rush was considered cool rock music and was part of our record collections. I'm always amazed when they are categorized as some type of nerd music, as that was NOT my experience growing up.

QUOTE (Karena @ Mar 29 2011, 01:30 PM)

This is interesting to me because all of my friends at that time liked Rush. None of us would have been considered "geeks". Rush was considered cool rock music and was part of our record collections. I'm always amazed when they are categorized as some type of nerd music, as that was NOT my experience growing up.

when did you grow up if ya dont mind me askin?

QUOTE (Karena @ Mar 29 2011, 02:30 PM)

It sure was mine, and I was in HS in the mid-80's. Every other girl was drooling over Simon LeBon, Adam Ant, whatshisname from Lover Boy, and John Cougar Mellencamp. I, on the other hand, had Rush pictures (not easy to come by then) inside my locker and got a lot of "hey, who're those guys?" remarks.

I had some female friends who liked Rush okay, but they'd still have run over Geddy at 120 mph to get DuranDuran tickets.

In college, Rush was very definitely not a girls' band, hence my attendance at HYF alone. Senior year I met the guy I very nearly married (we were together 7 years) and he was STUNNED to discover a female Rush fan.

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Mar 29 2011, 02:57 PM)

This was the late 70s/early 80s. There was so much good music and Rush was part of that. Prog was pretty big and everyone was into Tolkien and Zeppelin - all that fantasy stuff was cool for a while in art, literature and music. I did not experience a musical gender gap, we would all gather in someone's basement and listen to Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, Rush, Zep. In high school I dated a guy who sent me handwritten lyrics to Cinderella Man with some accompanying artwork, and we are still friends. We weren't geeks, I'd say we were more bohemian but not Dead Head stoners. cool10.gif

Later on in the 80s it seems a lot of music became more gender geared and I also liked some "girl stuff" but there was that earlier period when good music was just undeniably good music and I'm glad I got to discover it when it was new with so many others who really appreciated it.

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 29 2011, 10:03 AM)
And god, single ladies - try going to a Rush concert BY YOURSELF. You will not be alone for long, although you can't be terribly choosy about the company. I went to the HYF show alone, had a great time.

laugh.gif I should totally go alone to whatever CA concert I find myself at in '12. I'll be 19, hopefully in good shape... Haha. Just the thought amuses me.

Being a lady Rush fan sometimes has its downsides... like being hit on. A lot. I'm surprised I haven't had men offer to have my babies just yet, but it's come damn near close if I'm in a store and my Limelight ringer goes off and men suddenly draw near me like I'm a black hole, a magnetic force field of awesome. I need to change my ringer to Bitch!Stewie.

It probably helps that I'm young but I've never gotten so much as a compliment from a guy my age about the fact that I like Rush. From people as old as my dad or some of my teachers? All the time. But who knows; maybe in college I'll find fellow Rush fans. (Not my professors!)

QUOTE (Karena @ Mar 29 2011, 05:10 PM)
QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Mar 29 2011, 02:57 PM)

This was the late 70s/early 80s. There was so much good music and Rush was part of that. Prog was pretty big and everyone was into Tolkien and Zeppelin - all that fantasy stuff was cool for a while in art, literature and music. I did not experience a musical gender gap, we would all gather in someone's basement and listen to Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, Rush, Zep. In high school I dated a guy who sent me handwritten lyrics to Cinderella Man with some accompanying artwork, and we are still friends. We weren't geeks, I'd say we were more bohemian but not Dead Head stoners. cool10.gif

Later on in the 80s it seems a lot of music became more gender geared and I also liked some "girl stuff" but there was that earlier period when good music was just undeniably good music and I'm glad I got to discover it when it was new with so many others who really appreciated it.

well, in north jersey we sure didnt have any girl fans I knew of. Would have been nice if there was ha

I've had about 4 instances where I run into a fellow Rush fan, but I've never really known what to say like "what's your favorite album?" but most people would say MP or PeW. I wish I could run into someone who listens to Rush every day like I do, time will tell.

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Mar 29 2011, 09:12 PM)
well, in north jersey we sure didnt have any girl fans I knew of. Would have been nice if there was ha

Maybe it depends on one's definintion of the word "fan". Rush was one of many great bands of that time period. I don't think too many people were hung up on one band but I didn't know anyone who disliked Rush. If we define fan as obsessed, then that is something else. I did like them enough to almost get a ticket for disturbing the peace for blasting 2112 out of my car at an ungodly volume. I guess my friend and I got out of it because we were hot enough. wink.gif

It must be a lot more difficult for the itunes generation to find fellow Rush fans their own age. Rush is just so not itunes kind of music and the Boys are their grandpa's age.

QUOTE (TheBluePhoenix @ Mar 30 2011, 01:44 PM)
In one thread we're talking about how Rush is bigger with more exposure than ever and in another we're saying most people have never heard of them. Which is it?

It can be, is, both.

QUOTE (GTIMANiac @ Mar 30 2011, 03:51 PM)
QUOTE (TheBluePhoenix @ Mar 30 2011, 01:44 PM)
In one thread we're talking about how Rush is bigger with more exposure than ever and in another we're saying most people have never heard of them.  Which is it?

It can be, is, both.

That's the dichotomy of the band. As Geddy has said, they're "the world's biggest cult band." It doesn't seem to make sense at first, but when you crunch the numbers you can sell millions of records and have millions of fans, but still have multi-millions who've never heard of you.

It sure is strange though. Rush seems to have hit a recent streak of popularity, yet I'm still the weirdo that likes Rush. Everyone always laughs and says something to the effect of "Rush sucks!" Now I'm still in high school, so it's not like I'm getting this from adults, but it's still pretty annoying.

Although I do like the feeling of it being my little secret... I think every Rush fan does, at least a little. wink.gif

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Mar 30 2011, 02:05 PM)
It sure is strange though. Rush seems to have hit a recent streak of popularity, yet I'm still the weirdo that likes Rush. Everyone always laughs and says something to the effect of "Rush sucks!" Now I'm still in high school, so it's not like I'm getting this from adults, but it's still pretty annoying.

Although I do like the feeling of it being my little secret... I think every Rush fan does, at least a little. wink.gif

If people were yelling "Rush sucks!" at me because of it, yes, I would like to keep it a secret. I have quite the opposite, a few people try to impress me by claiming to like the band, it just annoys the f**k out of me however...

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Mar 30 2011, 04:32 PM)
QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Mar 30 2011, 02:05 PM)

Although I do like the feeling of it being my little secret... I think every Rush fan does, at least a little.  wink.gif

If people were yelling "Rush sucks!" at me because of it, yes, I would like to keep it a secret. I have quite the opposite, a few people try to impress me by claiming to like the band, it just annoys the f**k out of me however...

That is annoying.

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Mar 30 2011, 05:05 PM)

I rarely ever talk about bands that I like to other people. Either they hate them or have no idea who they are. I'll wear a Rush shirt but people hardly ever point it out unless they're a fan.

Archived