Firefox 4.0

snowdogged

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Mar 25 2011, 02:03 PM)
QUOTE (RushNut @ Mar 25 2011, 01:31 PM)
QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Mar 25 2011, 01:43 PM)
I tried using the beta version of it but didn't like it too much....However I have downloaded the newest version but have yet to try it....I like FF though.

I did the beta too and didn't care for it. I may try it again after the themes and extensions upgrade to 4.0. I must have my Noia Extreme theme.

It's Opera...just a different name.

Opera does not come close to Firefox when comparing security.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edited by Pags

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Mar 25 2011, 04:00 PM)
I tried using the beta version of it but didn't like it too much....However I have downloaded the newest version but have yet to try it....I like FF though.

I did the beta too and didn't care for it. I may try it again after the themes and extensions upgrade to 4.0. I must have my Noia Extreme theme.

The big O is plenty secure. Not sure why you'd say that. And to answer Mara's earlier post about FF still sneaking that toolbar onto your computer, I bet it still does, but Opera doesn't. After clicking on the Details, you get the second pic...

http://mysite.verizon.net/Assbuster/2011-03-25_Opera1.png

http://mysite.verizon.net/Assbuster/2011-03-25_Opera2.png

QUOTE (SiriusRushFan @ Mar 25 2011, 09:43 PM)
QUOTE (snowdogged @ Mar 25 2011, 04:00 PM)

The big O is plenty secure. Not sure why you'd say that. And to answer Mara's earlier post about FF still sneaking that toolbar onto your computer, I bet it still does, but Opera doesn't. After clicking on the Details, you get the second pic...

http://mysite.verizon.net/Assbuster/2011-03-25_Opera1.png

http://mysite.verizon.net/Assbuster/2011-03-25_Opera2.png

There have been plenty of tests done on all of the major browsers and their holes in security. Firefox has been proven to be the most secure time and time again. Yes, opera does have security features, just IE and Safari do but that does not make them as secure as Firefox. Also, there are no toolbars that install with Firefox. I'm not saying Opera is a bad browser but it is and most likely never will be as secure as Firefox.

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Mar 25 2011, 10:27 PM)
There have been plenty of tests done on all of the major browsers and their holes in security. Firefox has been proven to be the most secure time and time again. Yes, opera does have security features, just IE and Safari do but that does not make them as secure as Firefox. Also, there are no toolbars that install with Firefox. I'm not saying Opera is a bad browser but it is and most likely never will be as secure as Firefox.

I haven't seen anywhere that FF was more secure than Opera, but I did see this once before, even though it was back when I first started using Opera, "According to Secunia, a computer security service provider, the mean average of unpatched vulnerabilities in the last 365 days is 0.01. This stands in contrast to Internet Explorer (38.3), Firefox (5.77), and Safari (1.54)."

And the sneaky toolbar thing is a box that you have to uncheck. If you don't see it when you install FF, then it will install the Yahoo toolbar along with FF. That's the way it was with the last version of FF anyway. They get rid of that in this version of FF?

QUOTE (SiriusRushFan @ Mar 26 2011, 01:21 AM)

I haven't seen anywhere that FF was more secure than Opera, but I did see this once before, even though it was back when I first started using Opera, "According to Secunia, a computer security service provider, the mean average of unpatched vulnerabilities in the last 365 days is 0.01. This stands in contrast to Internet Explorer (38.3), Firefox (5.77), and Safari (1.54)."

And the sneaky toolbar thing is a box that you have to uncheck. If you don't see it when you install FF, then it will install the Yahoo toolbar along with FF. That's the way it was with the last version of FF anyway. They get rid of that in this version of FF?

Never seen the Yahoo toolbar thing during a Firefox install. I'm guessing that's Java you're thinking of. That pre-checked toolbar option annoys the hell out of me.

Edited by invisibleairwaves

QUOTE (SiriusRushFan @ Mar 26 2011, 04:21 AM)

I actually stand to be corrected. I haven't really done research on this subject in a few years and Opera did have some major security issues then.

From the research that I have just now done it seems almost like comparing apples and oranges. The one and most important thing that I did learn from doing this research is that Google Chrome seems to be the most secure browser as it is the only browser to use sandbox.

Since I downloaded Firefox 4.0, this forum is as fast as it used to be in the old days. Lately this site has been painfully slow, but not anymore!

"Dude, its finally fast!" tongue.gif

Edited by tick

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Mar 26 2011, 04:24 AM)
QUOTE (SiriusRushFan @ Mar 26 2011, 01:21 AM)

Never seen the Yahoo toolbar thing during a Firefox install. I'm guessing that's Java you're thinking of. That pre-checked toolbar option annoys the hell out of me.

Ya, it was the update not the install I was thinking about. Might be what Mara was thinking about also. Apparently when FF updates things, like Java, or does an update, it tries to sneak the toolbar into FF. I knew I saw people bitching about it so I went to looked it up on the Mozilla addon site...

"Annoying!

Rated 1 out of 5 stars

by Apollo! on September 9, 2010 #

This annoying thing tries to install itself with just about every free install. This is why you ALWAYS do "custom" installs and not "typical" to weed out all the junk!

This review is for a previous version of the add-on (2.1.2.20100119091315).

Rated 1 out of 5 stars

by Ephemeron on August 22, 2010 #

I've given it one star for the main reason that it installed itself, without my permission, seemingly as part of a Java update. I never wanted this toolbar.

It also has the added annoyance that whenever you go to a non-existant page within a site (error 404), it stupidly redirects you to a Yahoo search for that page. Then there's the pointless addition to the right-click context menu."

After searching a bit, this might be where Mara got pissed at FF when it did an update, and it installed the ask.com stuff onto FF. Got tick pissed too cool10.gif... http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=54761#

Downloaded it this morning in an upgrade from 3.6 and I love it so far. Just had to do some rearranging of the menu bar and some buttons. Great response time. Starts up in about five seconds once I start my PC as opposed to 3.6 which took at least two minutes. Great interface and haven't had any crashes of the program. Hopefully it won't be two long before most of the skins and themes are available for this.

QUOTE (tick @ Mar 26 2011, 11:58 AM)
Since I downloaded Firefox 4.0, this forum is as fast as it used to be in the old days. Lately this site has been painfully slow, but not anymore!
"Dude, its finally fast!" tongue.gif

rofl3.gif

Yes and yes.gif

FF is now faster then it's predecessor, time will tell if the crashes get fixed...

This browser has been screwy for me recently

i.e. suddenly can't type, can't scroll with mouse, loading problems etc.... All happens on occasion and seemingly at random

& Opera is working perfectly meanwhile

comp26.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Mar 25 2011, 01:40 PM)
Just upgraded to it. A bit of getting used to, but so far it seems great. This is the first time I'm branching out to discover add-ons and personas, etc. I'm using the Rush album covers persona.

I'm kinda digging the Pin As App Tab.

I recently dowloaded 4.0 and I'm digging it so far. My only complaint is that the home icon is on the top right as opposed to the top left, which is kind of counter-intuitive to me, but I'll get used to it.

But what's all this fancy stuff you're talking about above? unsure.gif confused13.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 2 2011, 08:33 PM)
I recently dowloaded 4.0 and I'm digging it so far.  My only complaint is that the home icon is on the top right as opposed to the top left, which is kind of counter-intuitive to me, but I'll get used to it.

You can move the Home, Refresh, etc. buttons to anywhere you want. Right-click on a blank space on the toolbar near the buttons, and choose Customize. Then just click on a button and drag it to wherever you want.

I now have my 4.0 buttons in the same spots as the older versions.

Does anybody know how to get rid of the search bar?

I guess it installs with the update and I have searched to see how to get rid of it by going to customize but I don't get an option to get rid of it.

Also I have read of other TRF'rs moving the home icon around...I went to customize but there is no home icon in there...lots of others but no home, by reach icons as listed in the instructions on how to remove or move them.

Any help would be great thanks in advance.

I find it sluggish also. Uses at least 3 times more ram and cpu compared to v3.6. Has bugs with Hotmail, Flash, Facebook and others. Uninstalled it after 2 hours of use.

They screwed up and added all that interface customization which always will result in poorer performance. The power and memory needed for that stuff has to come from somewhere.