Mozilla can suck it

Mara

They reset my homepage to ask.com without my permission. So I uninstalled, then did a custom re-install, and also specified my preferred homepage in the security settings. Additionally, I blocked ask.com. I don't trust them.

Custom re-install - guess what popped up as the homepage. They're gone now, and I told them why.

Need new browser - I really don't like IE much.

QUOTE (peoplecanteatmachinefood @ Apr 15 2010, 06:31 PM)
Google Chrome is a great alternative.

Sometimes there's hidden shit in the custom install dialogs. You need to be mindful of it.

Thanks. Yeah, there's a thread somewhere here that I started about how the Yahoo toolbar completely messed up my computer, so I am super careful on custom installs now!

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 15 2010, 03:28 PM)
They reset my homepage to ask.com without my permission. So I uninstalled, then did a custom re-install, and also specified my preferred homepage in the security settings. Additionally, I blocked ask.com. I don't trust them.

Custom re-install - guess what popped up as the homepage. They're gone now, and I told them why.

I'm tempted to say that this had nothing to do with Firefox. Even when upgrading (updating) your homepage stays the same. I've been through 12 version updates and never has my homepage been reset (by itself).

After each update and restart 2 things happen; 1) firefox restarts and opens your current homepage in a tab 2) firefox also opens a second tab with Options, such as search provider and homepage. If you don't change anything here then your settings stay the same.

Not saying that this isn't a Firefox issue, but you might want to run a heavy virus and spyware scan. Lots of sneaky crap out there that changes your homepage.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Apr 15 2010, 08:07 PM)
They reset my homepage to ask.com without my permission.  So I uninstalled, then did a custom re-install, and also specified my preferred homepage in the security settings.  Additionally, I blocked ask.com.  I don't trust them. 

Custom re-install - guess what popped up as the homepage.  They're gone now, and I told them why. 

I'm tempted to say that this had nothing to do with Firefox. Even when upgrading (updating) your homepage stays the same. I've been through 12 version updates and never has my homepage been reset (by itself).

After each update and restart 2 things happen; 1) firefox restarts and opens your current homepage in a tab 2) firefox also opens a second tab with Options, such as search provider and homepage. If you don't change anything here then your settings stay the same.

Not saying that this isn't a Firefox issue, but you might want to run a heavy virus and spyware scan. Lots of sneaky crap out there that changes your homepage.

Besides my usual scheduled AVG scan and Crap Cleaner, any suggestions?

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 15 2010, 08:11 PM)
QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Apr 15 2010, 08:07 PM)
They reset my homepage to ask.com without my permission.  So I uninstalled, then did a custom re-install, and also specified my preferred homepage in the security settings.  Additionally, I blocked ask.com.  I don't trust them. 

Custom re-install - guess what popped up as the homepage.  They're gone now, and I told them why. 

Besides my usual scheduled AVG scan and Crap Cleaner, any suggestions?

Malwarebytes. You can download their free version.

This happened with me and internet explorer.. They changed my home to ask... Later on I got a trojan virus, and I had to restore my computer. I'm not saying you're going to get a virus because it mostly likely just a coincidence.

I actually did get this fixed; found three registry errors. But when I re-installed, ask.com came up as the homepage again - I guess it's Mozilla's thing. I had no problem resetting the homepage this time, though.

I think that when Mozilla does an update there is a small box to uncheck so it will not install Ask. I had that trouble till I found that damn box to uncheck. If I remember right.. Anyway I have kept Ask out of here and Mozilla runs fine, no troubles.. unsure.gif Knocks on wood..

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Apr 26 2010, 10:41 PM)
QUOTE (TullSkull @ Apr 26 2010, 03:49 PM)
I think that when Mozilla does an update there is a small box to uncheck so it will not install Ask.

that's right....

Might explain something here - my husband is bad to go ahead and click "yes" for every single update notification. eyesre4.gif

I've told him to quit doing this, unless it's an AVG update, but he doesn't listen.

I updated to the new version of Firefox this morning and it installed the Yahoo toolbar on my computer! I was pissed. When I followed the steps to uninstall it, the uninstall button would not work and thus I had no way of getting rid of the damn toolbar! I finally decided to just uninstall Firefox completely and then reinstall it. Now the Yahoo toolbar is gone. What a gigantic pain in the ass. I know I should just ditch Firefox but I don't feel like getting familiar with and learning how to manage a new browser so I stick with Firefox. I don't like IE so I don't really want to go back to that. Edited by tick

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 27 2010, 09:42 AM)
I updated to the new version of Firefox this morning and it installed the Yahoo toolbar on my computer! I was pissed. When I followed the steps to uninstall it, the uninstall button would not work and thus I had no way of getting rid of the damn toolbar! I finally decided to just uninstall Firefox completely and then reinstall it. Now the Yahoo toolbar is gone. What a gigantic pain in the ass. I know I should just ditch Firefox but I don't feel like getting familiar with and learning how to manage a new toolbar so I stick with Firefox. I don't like IE so I don't really want to go back to that.

I hate all things Yahoo, starting with the toolbar.

I'm currently working hard to get banned from Yahoo, since they won't do as I ask and close my e-mail account. I've been posting profanity and lots of obnoxious stuff on a number of the blogs.

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 27 2010, 02:12 PM)
I updated to the new version of Firefox this morning and it installed the Yahoo toolbar on my computer! I was pissed. When I followed the steps to uninstall it, the uninstall button would not work and thus I had no way of getting rid of the damn toolbar! I finally decided to just uninstall Firefox completely and then reinstall it. Now the Yahoo toolbar is gone. What a gigantic pain in the ass. I know I should just ditch Firefox but I don't feel like getting familiar with and learning how to manage a new toolbar so I stick with Firefox. I don't like IE so I don't really want to go back to that.

I'm currently working hard to get banned from Yahoo, since they won't do as I ask and close my e-mail account. I've been posting profanity and lots of obnoxious stuff on a number of the blogs.

Links please.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 26 2010, 09:22 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Apr 26 2010, 10:41 PM)
QUOTE (TullSkull @ Apr 26 2010, 03:49 PM)
I think that when Mozilla does an update there is a small box to uncheck so it will not install Ask.

that's right....

Might explain something here - my husband is bad to go ahead and click "yes" for every single update notification. eyesre4.gif

I've told him to quit doing this, unless it's an AVG update, but he doesn't listen.

Yeah, you gotta watch that......so many apps like to throw in advertising etc....if you're not careful....

QUOTE (the oaks @ Apr 27 2010, 05:55 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 27 2010, 02:12 PM)

Links please.

laugh.gif

yeah, that sounds hilarious.