Presto

That One Guy

I got Presto, and had never heard anything from it before, except for the title track during a 2010 show. I would have to say that I'm suprised this album gets overlooked at all. The mix of synth/piano to guitar is good, Geddy's singing is truly at its greatest, and most songs are chock full of emotion. I'm not sure if I would prefer the album more with Counterparts-style production, but I imagine it would sound good.

After listening to the album for a couple weeks, I would have no problem with The Pass and Show Don't Tell being in every setlist until they retire. Superconductor could get old fast, but seems like it'd do well in a concert setting.

Yay for Presto

2.gif

Presto is a great album. When I listened to it for the first time, I didn't like it at all, probably because it was very different from the albums I had listened to before it. Then few weeks later I gave it another listen and somehow it started to sound great. Since then it's always been one of my favorites.

One thing I really like about the album is the thin production. I don't think it would have worked on any other album but Presto sounds great with that production.

I'd love to hear War Paint, Hand Over Fist or Available Light live.

QUOTE (Lamelight @ Mar 14 2011, 03:14 PM)
Presto is a great album. When I listened to it for the first time, I didn't like it at all, probably because it was very different from the albums I had listened to before it. Then few weeks later I gave it another listen and somehow it started to sound great. Since then it's always been one of my favorites.

One thing I really like about the album is the thin production. I don't think it would have worked on any other album but Presto sounds great with that production.

I'd love to hear War Paint, Hand Over Fist or Available Light live.

Agreed. Yes, the "thin" production gets slammed, but remember - this came out in 1989. "Thin" was the style back then. The whole grunge thing didn't kick in until 1992. I'm not saying Rush was ever "grunge", but I do think that style of music changed how rock music was produced after that.

Presto has always been my second favorite, right after Moving Pictures. Liked Superconductor a lot - and it WAS awesome live. Especially with the inflatable dancing bunnies (if you weren't there, I'm sadly referring to "real" bunnies - not anything of the Playboy variety).

Clem

Presto's brilliant. Yeah, I can't really say much in favor of its treble-heavy production, but the songs themselves have one of the most consistently high levels of quality that I've seen in an album. The only ones that come close to being duds for me are "Scars" and "Hand Over Fist"; the rest are class.

Oh, and which member is the rapping skeleton sound-alike in the first two songs? I've been wondering that for a while.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 14 2011, 04:35 PM)
Chain Lightning is one of my fav Rush songs of all time. Great record.

Chain Lightning is one if my top five most underrated rush songs. The chorus is gold.

And like Lamelight says, this is an album that has to grow on you, as is roll the bones. The thin production hurts some songs, but it is absolutely perfect for some.

For example: Chain Lightning, The Pass, War Paint, Scars, Red Tide, Hand Over Fist, Available Light, Dreamline, Bravado, Where's My Thing, and Ghost of a Chance.

I like Presto better than RTB. It is thin but the writing and performance is awesome. Really strong work from the guys. I would love to hear it remastered to bring out the Bass a little and tone down the treble just a hair. It would be perfect!

1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

This is an album that I recently became familiar with, too. I absolutely love it!

Every song is great but my favorites are the title track, Anagram, Available Light, Chain Lightning and Scars. I'm okay with the "thin" sound, too - it suits.

Really, really Great album. wub.gif

QUOTE (InvisibleAirwaves13 @ Mar 14 2011, 06:44 PM)
I like Presto better than RTB. It is thin but the writing and performance is awesome. Really strong work from the guys. I would love to hear it remastered to bring out the Bass a little and tone down the treble just a hair. It would be perfect!

1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

Why don't you just go and get the Remaster then?

Looks like I just found my next itunes download album!

I've always loved Show Don't Tell & The Pass but I'm really unfamiliar with the rest of the album. Although Presto was a great tune at Allentown last year.

Presto is greatness. Took a couple of listens, but it certainly has it's place in the RUSH library. Don't mind the pop sensibility or the production a bit. As in everything the boys do, everything that makes them RUSH is still there .

I was very disappointed when this album came out. I heard Geddy would hardly have any keyboards and it would be a "back to basics" album but that wasn't to be. And to top it off, Alex's guitar sound was very wimpy. Just when you think a power cord should be struck, it's a very light acoustic sound.

They really lost there way with this one, treading into adult contemporary type music, rather than rock.

Thank god they found themselves, again, with Counterparts.

Great album!!

There's several songs on it I love. CL, TP, Presto and AL are all excellent songs. SDT, WP, Anagram and HOF as also very good. The production is really the only problem I have. But great songs can always overcome production flaws as far as i'm conserned.

IMO Show Don't Well would have been a showstopper if it had more of a Counterparts feel. It's a raging rock song with quiet guitars and keyboards in the chorus.

I'm also suprised the title track didn't make the Presto Tour.

Archived