Favorite Moments in Songs

Mr. Not

There was a thread by Rush Cocky similar to this in the main rush forum, but it would only be for Rush songs.. I pretty much listed every moment of every Rush song I loved, and now I feel like branching out having moments of any song be shared..

This isn't my personal thread, of course - feel free to join in whenever a certain moment in a song clicks with you!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The start of Schenker's guitar solo on the live version of Rock Bottom always gives me goosebumps as does the guitar/keyboard interplay on the Keys version of Starship Trooper.

The bit in the live version of Europa on Moonflower where Santana kicks back into the solo after the long holding sustained note.

The entire The Preacher, the Teacher section of Yes' "And You and I".

The last few minutes of Built to Spill's "Velvet Waltz".

The finale of King Diamond's "Black Horsemen" when the double bass drums kick in during the already epic guitar solo...YESSS!

Bjork's "Play Dead", when she sings "caress every ache" and goes hard.

Eddie Hazel's playing on Funkadelic's "I'll Stay".

The last few minutes of Dire Straits "Telegraph Road". Mark Knopfler, goddamn!

This will be a great thread to up my post numbers without spamming!

Ok, first entry is Riverside's Hybrid Times starting at 2:37 with the "Before my fame evaporates I must be at the top..." and continuing through to the stop at 4:46. The entire song is simply breath-taking, but this particular moment is my favorite, maybe on the whole album.

The finale of King Diamond's "Black Horsemen" when the double bass drums kick in during the already epic guitar solo...YESSS!

This!

QUOTE (the oaks @ Feb 11 2011, 04:28 PM)
This will be a great thread to up my post numbers without spamming!

Ok, first entry is Riverside's Hybrid Times starting at 2:37 with the "Before my fame evaporates I must be at the top..." and continuing through to the stop at 4:46. The entire song is simply breath-taking, but this particular moment is my favorite, maybe on the whole album.

Just playing that now on my iPod.

cool.gif

The 'Eclipse' section in the Yes tune 'And You And I' is so epic and powerful. It's even better live. Especially when Chris Squire is using his Taurus bass pedals to accompany the rest of the band; sends chills up your spine.

Another great moment is first guitar solo in Pink Floyd's 'Echoes'; the one where it comes in with that fuzzed note and goes into this absolutely perfect clean toned solo that tugs at your heart. Just perfect in every way.

Just two moments out of dozens that are really, truly awesome.

QUOTE (the oaks @ Feb 11 2011, 11:28 AM)

Hell. Yes.

So many to list, but the first one that popped into my mind when I saw the thread title was the solo section in Freewill... 60 seconds of complete shred by all involved!

Genesis - Fly On A Windshield --- the part where the whole band comes in after "windshield on the freewayyyy....." . then POW! Hackett's bent lead, the bass pedals, Phil's crash, Tony's tron. Perfection.

The Who - The Song Is Over - key change at the end, and Daltrey sings the first lines of "Pure And Easy".

Yes - Awaken - from the final buildup and climax to the end....

Pink Floyd - Echoes - after the spacey middle section, Gilmour's two leads together over the droning bass.... before the vocals come back in.

Led Zeppelin - I'm Gonna Crawl - Plant's scream towards the end! Love it!

Sandy Denny - Quiet Joys of Brotherhood - the second and third verses, with Sandy accompanying herself in what seems like 5 or 6 part vocal harmony in places.

Beach Boys - Surf's Up - The whole thing, really, but esp the high notes in the first part ("columnated ruins domino"), and the "child is father to the man" ending.

R.E.M. - Find The River - Mike Mills' wordless backing vocals over the last choruses.

Steve Hackett - Twice Around The Sun - the high "E" that never ends at the song's conclusion.

Led Zeppelin - Ten Years Gone - the guitar break after "and you knew you would..."

Tons of others.

The lone flute In the Court of the Crimson King as well as the part from 2:18 - 2:52

Yes - Awaken from 5:08 - 6:00, (but after that the song turns boring for the next few minutes.. I hereby declare it.. Filler!)

Edited by Kenneth

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Feb 10 2011, 11:44 PM)
Yes - The Ancient @ 17:42 - perfect ending to the song!

It's a perfect ending because the rest of the song is shite wink.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Feb 11 2011, 07:24 PM)

No way jose! Only the first 3 minutes are. Otherwise the song is amazing and Yes's best 1022.gif

Edited by Kenneth

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Feb 11 2011, 10:34 PM)

No way jose! Only the first 3 minutes are. Otherwise the song is amazing and Yes's best 1022.gif

Yes' best? huh.gif

I think you're leaving out a few songs...

Starship Trooper

Heart of the Sunrise

Close to the Edge

And You and I

Ritual

The Gates of Delirium

Turn of the Century

Awaken

On the Silent Wings of Freedom

Machine Messiah

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Feb 11 2011, 07:44 PM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Feb 11 2011, 10:34 PM)

Yes' best? huh.gif

I think you're leaving out a few songs...

Starship Trooper

Heart of the Sunrise

Close to the Edge

And You and I

Ritual

The Gates of Delirium

Turn of the Century

Awaken

On the Silent Wings of Freedom

Machine Messiah

Nope!

Turn of the Century & Heart of the Sunrise come close though...

And surely you jest when saying The Ancient is shite:

Edited by Kenneth