Memorable Neil Peart Licks Pt.1

Good,bad,andrush

Well?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• Anthem (Ending)
    • Bastille Day (a little after the intro)
    • Temples Of Syrinx
    • Xanadu (towards the end)
    • The Trees (bridge)
    • Jacob's Ladder (snare rolls)
    • Tom Sawyer (solo)
    • Subdivisions (intro)
    • Red Lenses
    • Marathon
    • Time Stand Still (chorus)
    • Scars
    • Where's My Thing? (fills towards the end)
    • Leave That Thing Alone (fills towards the end)
    • Limbo
    • Vapor Trail
    • The Main Monkey Business

I'm going with Marathon on this one; the 7/8 bridge has some of the most aggressive odd-time signature drumming i've ever heard. I really love the fills and the sound he gets out of those Red Tamas. Thundering. NeilFinal.gif

I know the song has been played to death, but that fill on the end of Tom Sawyer is as good as it gets. I'm still in awe when I listen to it.

Yep. Tom Sawyer for me, too. Awe-inspiring! NeilFinal.gif

Ughhhhhh, it's hard to choose D:

I'm gonna go with 'Subdivisions' on this one. I love how Neil times the bass drum with the bass parts Geddy plays on the keyboard (gotta love that F#). Not to mention it has some killer snare drum rolls!

Well I'll probably be thrown under the bus for this one, but I went with The Main Monkey Business. Because as a whole I absolutely love the drums on that song, rather than just a lick here or a lick there like many of the other songs listed.

But if The Professor wrote a drum part for a rock I'd try to learn it. Anything that comes out of his mind is pure gold. smile.gif

NeilFinal.gif

from this list I'd hafta say Tom Sawyer. Still awesome, the whole song drum-wise. Overplayed? Yes, but you can't deny it's awesomeness.

I'm assuming La Villa Strangiato, Natural Science, YYZ, and 2112 Overture/Grand Finale are gonna be on the next list....

Tom Sawyer, for me. Even Neil said somewhere that he doesn't so much get tired of playing Tom Sawyer every night because it is difficult to play correctly. I love the drumming licks (is it really proper to use the term 'licks" regarding drumming?) in Tom Sawyer

Archived