CHICAGO 4/12/2011**GOOD CHOICE, BAD CHOICE??

got rush?

My wife and I are having second thoughts about this

Venue--CHICAGO We got good seats (PRE-SALE). We are flying

In from Baton Rouge. We tried closer venues, just

Could not get good seats for face value.

Can anyone share with us some good points about

This venue, already bought plane fair, just wish now

We would have researched more on area.

Can anyone reassure us we made a GOOD CHOICE??

Seats too good to pass up (row 3 center)

PLEASE, anyone have info to share ??THANKS

QUOTE (rocketom @ Feb 4 2011, 07:52 AM)
The United Center is a Good venue. The surrounding area might not be that nice, other people will have to comment on the resturants around there. I'm from the suburbs, so I just go to the concerts and come right home.

The United Center is a big hockey /basketball arena that holds nearly 20,000 for a game.

It has OK sound, but if you are in the 3rd row,that won't have much, if any effect on your perspective on the show.

The neighborhood surrounding the place is just about the WORST in Chicago.

Fill up your gas tank BEFORE the show so you can just get the hell away from there ASAP afterwards.

I would try to get a place to stay in the burbs. It will be a bit cheaper and the drive will be an hour max.

There aren't too many places to eat around the UC.

The (not original) Billygoat Tavern is a couple blocks, or a five minute walk, from the doors of the UC but the food is rather lame and the place is more of a Chicago 'landmark' type eatery rather than good food.

There are MANY fine, fine places to spend your money on good food in Chicago.

If you like deep dish Pizza I'll recomend Pizzeria Uno or it's sister rest. Due on Wabash at Ohio St.

Beef? Al's beef is excellent as well.

Steak? The Chop House, but it's big $$.

And don't do 30 or more over the limit on Illinois roads. It will cost you a fortune. Like $1,500 now.

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Feb 4 2011, 10:27 AM)

Fill up your gas tank BEFORE the show so you can just get the hell away from there ASAP afterwards.

rofl3.gif That is some good advice. Reminds me of going to shows in Oakland, Ca.

Enjoy the seats!!!!

QUOTE (TheBluePhoenix @ Feb 4 2011, 10:23 AM)
Instead of flying to a show couldn't you have saved the money that you would have spent on airline tickets and put it towards VIP tickets or broker tickets for a show within driving distance?  That makes more sense to me

My wife and I are in our mid 40s, no kids, and love to travel. We are SUPER rush fans and have seen them

from Florida to the NYS Fair, Boston to Vegas and 20 other areas. We always try incorporate a 4-5 day vacation somewhere we are new to with our bi-yearly

fix of RUSH. We have been to New Orleans too many times worth discussing(75 miles away).

Just trying to get feedback on new area.

Sense- less in Baton Rouge, LoL

if you are staying downtown, you can cab it to the UC there will be plenty of cabs after a show that can take you back downtown. (save yourself 20 bucks in the parking lots) you can get some good food before the show in the Meat packing district. (fulton market) depending on how much you want to spend or you can grab a hot dog or a beef sandwich anywhere. if cost is not an option Chicago has some of the best restaurants in the country. and they are as diverse as you want. bottom line UC is a decent place to see a show. there are not a bunch of good restaurants in very close proximity to the venue and the neighborhood does tend to get rough but if you have been to New Orleans than Chicago is no more or less dangerous. and the Chicago audiences are generally pretty hyped to see Rush.. have a fun trip 2.gif 2.gif

The area around the UC is not the worst in Chicago. For my money, nothing compares to the area near the Cell. It's not gorgeous. I'd stay elsewhere and cab in as has been suggested. Everything's a cab ride away. Stay somewhere else, but there's no reason to fear the area immediately around the UC. I'll be in a bar over there before the show. And inside...thousands of decent midwesterners doing their thing. You'll love it I think.

And the Jordan statue. Gotta see MJ.

I flew in from Denver in 2008. It was not a bad venue and your seats should give you a killer view/sound. My bro lives in the burbs and we drove in and just walking to the parking lot meant passing a lot of seeding/scary peeps, so I wouldn't want to wait for a cab. It was pretty quick and easy to the freeway. Enjoy and have a great time.

QUOTE (raygun47 @ Feb 9 2011, 05:52 PM)
The area around the UC is not the worst in Chicago. For my money, nothing compares to the area near the Cell.

You obviously have no knowledge about the southside... West of 94 is Bridgeport. Lived here for years, and I consider it to be one of the safest places there is. Cops and firemen and lots of nice families live here and have for decades. You gotta get to south of 47th before it starts going downhill, and then you get to Englewood. If you made it that far south you went WAY too far.

East of 94 is a small bit of the college campus, and you are fine. Further east is where you head towards MLK Drive, and I am pretty sure any neighborhood in any city along MLK Drive is a little less like Lincoln Park might be.

QUOTE (rummut71 @ Feb 10 2011, 12:24 PM)
The area around the UC is not the worst in Chicago.  For my money, nothing compares to the area near the Cell.

You obviously have no knowledge about the southside... West of 94 is Bridgeport. Lived here for years, and I consider it to be one of the safest places there is. Cops and firemen and lots of nice families live here and have for decades. You gotta get to south of 47th before it starts going downhill, and then you get to Englewood. If you made it that far south you went WAY too far.

East of 94 is a small bit of the college campus, and you are fine. Further east is where you head towards MLK Drive, and I am pretty sure any neighborhood in any city along MLK Drive is a little less like Lincoln Park might be.

The neighborhood around the Cell is fine. It's not Wrigleyville. And the mayor lives in Bridgeport, so I bet it's one of the safest neighborhoods in the city.

As far as the neighborhood that the UC is in, it used to be one of the worst, but they have built a lot of high price condos just north of the UC. It's a safe walk up to the Billy Goat tavern. I also think there is a Moretti's restaurant a few blocks from the UC too.

I've seen Rush twice at the UC and I thought it sounded OK for an indoor venue.

There's a bar/restaurant that lots of Rush fans met up at a few blocks away from the UC last time they played there... I cannot recall its name, but it was actually a pretty decent spot, and there was a parking garage right across the street where we parked the car to avoid the UC lot and just walked over...

You are correct that the neighborhood by the UC has improved gentrification-wise over the past several years, but still can be a bit shady. You should have seen what it was like 15 years ago when the Stadium was still there! Very not nice area...

Ah, the Chicago Stadium. Greatest sports barn evar! wub.gif

QUOTE (rummut71 @ Feb 10 2011, 12:24 PM)
The area around the UC is not the worst in Chicago.  For my money, nothing compares to the area near the Cell.

Hahahah! Yeah, I'm from NWI. I come up through WAY too far south to get to the Cell. I used to deliver for a company in Gary, IN to "out there"...way south...around 15 years or so back. And it was kinda rough back then. I've also had two "dicey" experiences after games at the Cell. I mean...at the Cell. In that immediate neighborhood.

My bad. I meant no offense to South Siders in general. I was born in EC, IN. I don't mean any disrespect to the area.

Well I think we both made a great choice getting the tickets. Never been to the venue, let alone chicago before so idk what to tell you about that. Lol me and my brother are on floor section 1 in row 19. I'm pretty excited to be on the floor. I was way in the back in the lower level the first time.

The only thing you have to fear is fear itself, well actually it is our WEATHER....

You need to pack for a snow storm or a day at the beach.

You never know what you'll get that time of the year.

I know its April but I was at an STP concert in MAY on the lakefront and it was about 40 degrees.

I was at a Cubs game in MAY and it was about 30 degrees.

Start checking the weather for chicago before you pack but NEVER TRUST A WEATHERMAN !

Welcome to Chicago.

QUOTE (third hand grace @ Feb 19 2011, 09:06 AM)
The only thing you have to fear is fear itself, well actually it is our WEATHER....
You need to pack for a snow storm or a day at the beach.
You never know what you'll get that time of the year.
I know its April but I was at an STP concert in MAY on the lakefront and it was about 40 degrees.
I was at a Cubs game in MAY and it was about 30 degrees.

Start checking the weather for chicago before you pack but NEVER TRUST A WEATHERMAN !

Welcome to Chicago.

I was at a game at the Cell in August...Cal Ripken's last game in Chicago I think...and it was 45. I was in shorts...miserable. Yeah, it's a real mixed bag. April's a total roll of the dice. My birthday is in April, and sometimes it snows.

QUOTE (LotusLand @ Feb 23 2011, 01:28 PM)
Is section 101 or 111 good at the UC?

Pretty decent, about halfway back or so... You'll be able to see for sure

Seat numbers on floor run left to right, but in the lower bowl run right to left... You'll want higher numbered seats if you want to be a bit closer in 111, and lower numbered if you are in 101.