Mice!

GeddyRulz

Aw, shit.

We just moved into our big beautiful 1920s house two weeks ago. I've heard some strange sounds over the past two weeks, but have tried not to freak out over them, chalking them up to "the house settling," etc.

Now, just sitting here a minute ago, I see a mouse coming into the living room. Startled me.

Aw, shit.

We're planning on getting a cat soon, but in the meantime it looks like I should buy some mousetraps.

Or does anybody else have some suggestions?

My mother uses these things that send out a pulse that irritates the mice. Humans are not supposed to hear it but my wife, son, and I do. It's not bad, and I guess it's better than mice and less messy than traps.

If there are a lot of mice in the house then traps will not do too much to control them. Get poison and place it around the whole house in different places.. Mice tend to run along next to walls, so make sure it is placed right next to the walls. If you get a large box of poison then there is a good chance that they will all be dead within a month. I tried those electronic sonar things and they did nothing.

keep clean floors especially in the kitchen, don't leave any open bags of cookies on the countertops, try to plug as many holes as you can with steel wool and pack it tight. i've had luck in the past with glue traps and also the can of spray insulation they sell at home improvement stores. also keep a clean stove with no crumbs underneath the top of the stove. they like to crawl up the back and come up through the burners. it's your house and they are intruding so take no prisoners. 1287.gif

waffen093.gif ALL OUT WAR!!!! yes.gif

old.gif I'm at war now, again as the cats just are not doing it.. They do good at times. But the best is "Decon" pellets, place 2 or 3 under the house, they go off and die and take the pellets to the nest. I also do traps in the house, in the kitchen, under the refer and in a cupboard or two. I the last 2 weeks or so I have got 7 and the cats ZERO... rofl3.gif cat.gif

QUOTE (TullSkull @ Jan 2 2011, 10:14 AM)
waffen093.gif ALL OUT WAR!!!! yes.gif
old.gif I'm at war now, again as the cats just are not doing it.. They do good at times. But the best is "Decon" pellets, place 2 or 3 under the house, they go off and die and take the pellets to the nest. I also do traps in the house, in the kitchen, under the refer and in a cupboard or two. I the last 2 weeks or so I have got 7 and the cats ZERO... rofl3.gif cat.gif

great idea with the decon pellets. here's a little gift for you and your friends. biggrin.gif unsure.gif the little bastards. angry.gif

We've been having mouse problems for months now so believe me I know where you're coming from.

Those sonar devices are expensive and worthless. Don't waste your time getting those.

Wish I could give some advice but I need it as much as you. We've got glue traps around the house as well as traps. Traps have worked but if you find that they zone in on a particular food item, use that as bait. Peanut butter has NOT worked for us, but dogfood has. We try to keep the dog food dish in a container to keep the mice from eating it.

If they can find food that isn't on the trap, they'll go there first. If you can remove all food, crumbs, etc...except on the trap that helps some.

If you can swing it, bring in the professionals. Even if it's just to get pointers if you want to take care of the mice problem yourself. The pros should be able to tell you where the entry points are and how to cover them. Mice can squeeze through the tiniest of holes. You really have to go through your house (the whole area) with a fine tooth comb. You can always try and spot where droppings are and see if there's an opening near there, then shove some steel wool in so the mice can't come back through. They can't chew through steel wool, anything else, and they can problem chew through it.

If you have mice willing to come out into the open, then you probably have a lot more than you think, living in the walls. Mice tend to live in walls and down near the ground. They're rarely found in attics (this is where the big boys, rats, tend to live).

Good luck and it may take a little while to kill your existing mice AND find all points of entry.

Ask me how I know all this. Ask me.

I'd bring in professional exterminators, but they are expensive. However (depending on the extent of the infestation) not as expensive as having your house burn down because they've chewed through the wiring.

Some people think glue traps and poisons are cruel. They'll chew their own legs off to try to get loose from a glue trap, and the poison causes them to bleed to death internally. It's all what you're comfortable with. (I couldn't do a glue trap because of the fact that the mice are usually still alive when you find them, and it's pretty pitiful to see. Not sure about poison because I have dogs).

I had a mouse one time that used to come out of hiding to drink out of the dog's bowl.

Just for kicks, I snuck up on him, jumped out from around a corner, screaming my head off and waving my arms. I scared the bejesus out of him. He ran into a hole in the wall, and never came back.

This method was certainly cheaper than getting an exterminator.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 2 2011, 05:22 PM)
I'd bring in professional exterminators, but they are expensive. However (depending on the extent of the infestation) not as expensive as having your house burn down because they've chewed through the wiring.

Some people think glue traps and poisons are cruel. They'll chew their own legs off to try to get loose from a glue trap, and the poison causes them to bleed to death internally. It's all what you're comfortable with. (I couldn't do a glue trap because of the fact that the mice are usually still alive when you find them, and it's pretty pitiful to see. Not sure about poison because I have dogs).

Yep. We got an infestation recently of the little f*ckers. Honest to God, I thought some were using a jackhammer and wearing army boots such was the noise from the attic.

Got in Rentokil. Job done. AND! She(the Rentokil technician) found we had a clusterfly infestation in the attic. She smokebombed those m*therf*ckers good.

And not that expensive either.

I live in an apartment and never had a problem with mice until last year. My girls cat.gif are pretty good at letting me know when I've got one, and ironically it's my "nice" cat who grabs them in her mouth and my "mean" cat who corners them and then stares at them (I was able to scoop that one up and take it outside). Another got away into a different part of the building, and a third was found dead MUCH later (I had wondered what was smelling so badly). I haven't had a problem since, but who knows what'll happen in the spring. I don't have the heart to trap them, although having two of their predators for family isn't exactly humane! Good to hear the tip about steel wool...there's a few spots I may use it in.

Just bought a d-Con kit ($5 for 4 small trays full of poison).

Call me nutty, but I want to say we have only ONE mouse, the one I saw. I sleep on the couch right by the kitchen a lot, and what little noise I've heard in the night didn't sound like dozens of mice, it sounded like one. But of course there could be more, and more could get in later from where this one got in.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 2 2011, 02:10 AM)
The mice were there before you. It's their house. Get out.

You know, with this angle you could probably get them to fork over some rent...maybe then they'd go.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jan 2 2011, 04:26 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 2 2011, 02:10 AM)
The mice were there before you. It's their house. Get out.

they're not making the mortgage payments though. tongue.gif

poison oughta work as long as you don't have any other pets

seriously, I wonder if you can somehow hold previous owner responsible for em?

Archived