Anyone else here write music?

Ted Barchetta

I like to write music as a sub-hobby to playing it. I like to see what I am capable of when experimenting with odd time signatures or odd rhythms. I think it really brings out my creative side; kinda like how I feel about writing short stories or analytical essays.

Sometimes (Especially when I don't have writer's block) I like composing music better than playing it. Is anyone else like that?

QUOTE (Ted Barchetta @ Nov 16 2010, 05:29 PM)
I like to write music as a sub-hobby to playing it. I like to see what I am capable of when experimenting with odd time signatures or odd rhythms. I think it really brings out my creative side; kinda like how I feel about writing short stories or analytical essays.

Sometimes (Especially when I don't have writer's block) I like composing music better than playing it. Is anyone else like that?

I enjoy writing but haven't been very active with it lately. I try to write so that the odd time signatures sound even and even ones sound odd. Creating those illusions within songs is fun for me, so yeah I understand your joy in composition. I don't believe in "writers block" though. That's an excuse used by too many who don't wanna work hard. It'll come to you if you try harder. Just sayin'... wink.gif

For instance, my band is constantly writing new songs and there's never an excuse or a lack of good material. If you spend the time, you'll always get results.

I've got two full songs in the works right now, and they've been in the works for a long while simply because I don't have enough free time to finish writing them out. One just needs a demo drum track and the other is about half written out. They're complete in the fact that they're completely "written," just not notated so others can learn the parts. But the whole process of building a song from scratch is a lot of fun.

I like to write music as a sub-hobby to playing it. I like to see what I am capable of when experimenting with odd time signatures or odd rhythms...

I'm certainly not a songwriting expert like a few others here (Cowtothesky is a good example), but one thing I can tell you is, don't force the odd-time stuff. Often times, when you sit there and try to write something in say, 7/8, it will sound stiff -- like you shoehorned the notes into that time sig.

Ever notice how bands like Rush and Porcupine Tree make their odd-time stuff sound so smooth and natural? Part of that is their playing ability, but a big part is that those odd times just happened. The notes just fell that way.

I play the mandolin and like to mess around with scales & position playing to see if I can create any memorable phrasing or musical passages (usually built off of old fiddle tunes or a rythym like Monroe style or a hornpipe). So I guess that could be considered writing music. I have bits & pieces that sometimes come out of nowhere so it always pays to have a recorder going because you never know.

I have to say that taking lyrics and marrying them to music is a fascinating and, I think at least, a difficult process for most people. Some folks it just seems to pour out.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 16 2010, 06:39 PM)
I like to write music as a sub-hobby to playing it. I like to see what I am capable of when experimenting with odd time signatures or odd rhythms...

I'm certainly not a songwriting expert like a few others here (Cowtothesky is a good example), but one thing I can tell you is, don't force the odd-time stuff. Often times, when you sit there and try to write something in say, 7/8, it will sound stiff -- like you shoehorned the notes into that time sig.

I agree. Don't force it. I don't think I'm at expert status, but thanks for the compliment!

A good example for me using odd time signatures is the last project I worked on. Time signatures can set the mood of a song. I worked on an animation about a camel and bear in space and they were getting attacked by alien spaceships. So, there was a sense of urgency that needed to be conveyed through the music. Instead of writing music at 6/8, I wrote it at 11/8, essentially skipping a beat (6/8, then 5/8) to create that urgency feel.

Here is that animation so you can see what I'm talking about:

The best thing to do is to come up with a groove in your head that feels good and then determine the time signature of that groove. If you try to write the other way around, as 1001 stated, it sounds stiff. However, you can get lucky every now and then. wink.gif

Writing music such as actually taking a blank sheet of manuscript paper and physically writing it?

Or.......bashing about on the instrument thinking you just "wrote" the next big song?

There's a big disconnect when it comes to the term "writing" music.

I like the term for people without musical education and understanding of the language of music to be called "creating" music.

They create the sounds but lack the knowledge to put those notes to paper.

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Nov 17 2010, 08:52 AM)
Writing music such as actually taking a blank sheet of manuscript paper and physically writing it?

Or.......bashing about on the instrument thinking you just "wrote" the next big song?

I like the term for people without musical education and understanding of the language of music to be called "creating" music.

I have a program called "Tuxguitar" that allows me to compose separate tracks and what not. It has a hybrid notation and tab interface. It's the only way I write music.

I can read sheet music by the way, I understand basic chord theory and harmony and some scales; but there's no need to be so held up in weather it's written down or not, some of the greatest songs ever are/were never written down on sheet music; even Rush has a rudimentary understanding of theory and harmony, they just know how to turn it into complex and kickass rock music; same with just about any other famous band out there.

I feel the best kind of musician trains himself to handle any kind of music notation; from sightreading sheet music to basic tabs and playing by ear.

And one should have an understanding that music comes from the heart and even if you are untrained, you have potential to be a fantastic musician.

It's all music; It's all good. smile.gif

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Nov 17 2010, 06:18 AM)
[
The best thing to do is to come up with a groove in your head that feels good and then determine the time signature of that groove. If you try to write the other way around, as 1001 stated, it sounds stiff. However, you can get lucky every now and then. wink.gif

I think one of the best examples of a 5/8 time signature that totally grooves is Jethro Tull's "Living In The Past". You don't even realize its an odd time signature.

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Nov 17 2010, 11:52 AM)

I wouldn't split hairs here. If someone writes a song on guitar and has no clue how to notate it to manuscript, I still consider them a song writer. I was classically trained and can write and read music, but it is tedious work, since I am so used to sitting down at a keyboard or guitar and writing music from ear. For example, when I score an orchestration, I don't quantize because it sounds more human. But, when I transfer it to Sibelius, I have to do a MIDI cleanup and get the notes quantized so that you don't have a page full of rests and other junk. It is tedious work and takes a great deal of time getting it all worked out. But, it is good to know if you ever hire live players to record the music.

I have friends who write amazing scores, but they send all of their MIDI data up to Berkley to get it notated for a live orchestra. They can read and write music, but it is just a painful process and they would much rather hire someone to notate it.

I've written a few including notation for a class. I wouldn't do it otherwise. tongue.gif It doesn't hurt to know it though. I see chord progressions and scales on the guitar as well as in notation in my head. Just different ways to visualize what you're hearing or planning to play, if you will. Edited by hunter

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Nov 17 2010, 05:52 PM)

I take it you got out of the pedantic side of bed this morning? wink.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Nov 18 2010, 07:54 AM)
QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Nov 17 2010, 05:52 PM)

I take it you got out of the pedantic side of bed this morning? wink.gif

Nah, I just try to avoid using a word like "write" for something that I just mess about with on a guitar or my bass and think could form the foundation for a song.

I say 'come up with' or 'something that I played' or 'created'.

But not 'wrote' or 'write'.

I have respect for musicians that took the time to learn the language of music and can write it's language.

It's just another over-used overreaching term that sometimes suits no other purpose but to artifically make someone feel better about themselves or what they are doing.

Like 'amazing' and 'genius'.

bumper.gif

Hey! I'd like to share the current thing I'm writing!

I'm writing a Lord Of The Rings rock opera centered around the final epic battle in Return Of The King; The Battle Of The Pelennor Fields.

I have the basic framework set out; It's in about six or seven sections, each one having to do with things like a theme for Sauron's forces of evil or Gondor/Rohan's forces of good. I'm planning on having an extensive instrumental section representing the battle. I plan on it being about 35-40 minutes long.

I'm really stoked about this because I have the music for almost two sections written out and i'm about to start a month long break from school. I plan of writing parts of it every day. cool.gif

I know this is quite the undertaking, but I can't wait to see what comes of it. laugh.gif

I love to write songs. I am often amazed at how a riff or poem that I write can develop into an awesome tune. My fiance and songwriting partner, David, helps bring out the full spectrum of what an initial spark can create, what I often don't think is significant can become a full blown song.

I have learned more about music by writing songs rather than just playing what someone else has written. It takes a lot of creative effort to bring a song to full maturity. It also gives me insight as to the creative process of my favorite artists.

Check out this article written by David and I about Raising a Song to Musical Maturity

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Nov 17 2010, 11:57 AM)
To be able to create this and then write it to paper is a pretty good knowledge of music I would say.

John Coltrane didn't know of no TAB! 062802puke_prv.gif
http://www.youtube.com/v/2kotK9FNEYU?fs=1&hl=en_US

Wow, this is interesting. I wonder what tab would look like for a saxophone...

While I think about the semantics of your argument I am a bit torn in agreeing with you. If I write out a guitar chord by using the notation on a clef I am obviously writing music. If the structure of the song is chordal, would you consider a progression such as G///C///am7/G/D/// or something like that to be writing music? If it never gets written out, does it count as having been written? I'm not trying to be a pain in the a**, I am just trying to understand. Frank Zappa wrote out his guitar parts and other instrument parts, yet many other artists did not. If Jimmy Page never notated (on the clef or with the aforementioned method) Stairway to Heaven, was it not written-just created? If the studio engineer wrote out the music did he actually write it even though he did not create it? Hmmmm.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Dec 19 2010, 05:32 PM)
QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Nov 17 2010, 11:57 AM)
To be able to create this and then write it to paper is a pretty good knowledge of music I would say.

John Coltrane didn't know of no TAB! 062802puke_prv.gif
http://www.youtube.com/v/2kotK9FNEYU?fs=1&hl=en_US

Wow, this is interesting. I wonder what tab would look like for a saxophone...

While I think about the semantics of your argument I am a bit torn in agreeing with you. If I write out a guitar chord by using the notation on a clef I am obviously writing music. If the structure of the song is chordal, would you consider a progression such as G///C///am7/G/D/// or something like that to be writing music? If it never gets written out, does it count as having been written? I'm not trying to be a pain in the a**, I am just trying to understand. Frank Zappa wrote out his guitar parts and other instrument parts, yet many other artists did not. If Jimmy Page never notated (on the clef or with the aforementioned method) Stairway to Heaven, was it not written-just created? If the studio engineer wrote out the music did he actually write it even though he did not create it? Hmmmm.

Not everyone is as brilliant as John Coltrane, although I loved the link wink.gif. There are different levels of writing music. For example, when I was 8 years old, I won a contest for submitting sheet music for a song I wrote. It is incredibly simplistic, but I wrote the music. Suppose you just randomly put notes on a page without any thought, did you "write" a song or did you just create notes on paper?

To me, writing a song is no big deal. Anyone can do it. What makes it important is the soul behind the song and how many people you touch with your music. Like I said earlier, I think that anyone who comes up with a song can be called a songwriter, regardless of how simplistic or notated it may or may not be. I feel the same way about pretty much any other hobby. I play football, but I have never played on a collegiate or pro level. It doesn't mean I don't play football.