The Android thread

barney_rebel

Thinking of switching my pretty crappy cell with an Android in the next few months. Any recommendations? I've heard to stay away from HTC and to go with Samsung, but I'm not sure. Also, how are monthly plans now-a-days? I'm looking anywhere in the 40 to 55 dollar/month range and it seems that Boost Mobile is perfect for that. I WAS considering donating some money to Canonical for the new Ubuntu Linux phone, but I'm not made of that kind of money yet.

Thinking of switching my pretty crappy cell with an Android in the next few months. Any recommendations? I've heard to stay away from HTC and to go with Samsung, but I'm not sure. Also, how are monthly plans now-a-days? I'm looking anywhere in the 40 to 55 dollar/month range and it seems that Boost Mobile is perfect for that. I WAS considering donating some money to Canonical for the new Ubuntu Linux phone, but I'm not made of that kind of money yet.

I am 90% sure I won't do HTC again. Too much bloatware/overlays that can't be removed.

Just got a Galaxy S3. I had an HTC Thunderbolt before. The Thunderbolts kept failing me, but maybe because Eric had rooted them and we put them back to their original OS and when the phones upgraded, they started failing. I'm sure that's by design...

Before my Thunderbolt, I had an EVO. I dropped it and shattered the screen, and it still worked. I didn't have a Y or a U though. That made life difficult since I didn't like tipping the phone sideways to type, my hands are too small. Oh, such a big deal... :LOL:

Before the EVO, I had the iPhone3. I. Hated. It. I couldn't personalize the sounds like I wanted too, and I couldn't use navigation while listening to music. I know they've changed it, but I was ruined on Apple products since iTunes is a memory hog and I hated using it.

I love my Samsung. I'm hard on phones, and I didn't leave the store without an Otterbox for protection. It's bigger for my weak hands to hold. :LOL:

I still love my Android Tablet. Kicks the shit out of the iPad. Best yet, no proprietary bullshit.

I just got a Galaxy note 10.1 and so far I think it sucks. It is horribly slow and way too much pre-loaded bullshit. Luckily it was free as part of a training I participated in. I will try to root it and then flash it to get rid of all the crap but I don't have much experience with that sort of thing so I am not sure how that will turn out. If I can't clean it up a bit then I will factory reset it and sell it.

Just got a Galaxy S4... It's my first smartphone! I like it so far, but it always shows that I have 1 new text message no matter how many times I look at all my texts and even when I clear all notifications. Does anybody have any other ideas?

I had the same problem on my S3 recently. I contacted my provider and they couldn't help.

Back up all your settings to Google or Samsung (both?) copy your precious files to your pc using Kies and factory reset. That's what I had to do. Only takes a couple of minutes and you can simply restore contacts, texts, emails etc, redownload your apps from Play and copy pics, music etc back over to your phone from your pc.

Edited by Tony R

Just got a Galaxy S3. I had an HTC Thunderbolt before. The Thunderbolts kept failing me, but maybe because Eric had rooted them and we put them back to their original OS and when the phones upgraded, they started failing. I'm sure that's by design...

Before my Thunderbolt, I had an EVO. I dropped it and shattered the screen, and it still worked. I didn't have a Y or a U though. That made life difficult since I didn't like tipping the phone sideways to type, my hands are too small. Oh, such a big deal... :LOL:

Before the EVO, I had the iPhone3. I. Hated. It. I couldn't personalize the sounds like I wanted too, and I couldn't use navigation while listening to music. I know they've changed it, but I was ruined on Apple products since iTunes is a memory hog and I hated using it.

I love my Samsung. I'm hard on phones, and I didn't leave the store without an Otterbox for protection. It's bigger for my weak hands to hold. :LOL:

I don't like all the bloatware Samsung sticks on its mobile products.

I don't like all the bloatware Samsung sticks on its mobile products.

Yeah, I have tried to remove some of them, but they are permanent. Other than that, I love this phone.

Well, I finally entered the 21st century and ditched my faithful little Nokia oldie for a Galaxy S4. Oddly enough it dropped my bill considerably, since we're now off contract.

I've been the laughingstock at work because of my phone. Ironically, I work in wireless site acquisition, development and deployment! Of course everyone assumes that free phones and service are perks of the job, and they are most decidedly not.

Now I just need to learn to use the thing. . .

• Like 1