The Android thread

barney_rebel

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jul 21 2011, 10:41 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 21 2011, 11:19 AM)
D/L the game Death Worm, it's a blast!

check out Gun Bros - you'll love it. Wicked soundtrack too:

http://gunbros.glu.com/

Oh yeah, that one's fun! I'm just on a big Deathworm kick right now. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 20 2011, 04:17 PM)
I just got a Samsung Galaxy and I'm liking it a lot more than I thought I would! I love the free apps and I especially love that I've got the entire US Army Survival Manual on my phone! There's a ton of survival related apps and most of them are free so you should all d/l them. At least get the Army Survival Manual and the compass.

Who's the carrier for the Galaxy? I'm getting ready to switch carriers an need a real phone other than my crap Nokia "smart" phone. What a piece of shit that is.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Aug 29 2011, 08:18 AM)
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6067/6073564263_4abbe66381_z.jpg

That's really cool!

Where's that sculpture at? Do you know?

After about a year's ownership of an HTC Thunderbolt, I am disappoint. Its battery life is atrocious (it's down 40% after about 30 minutes of music output through earbuds, and the damn thing doesn't even get loud enough to enjoy it), its performance is sub-par (they shouldn't have released a flagship device with a single-core Snapdragon in 2010), Verizon raped it with self-staring bloatware (the locked bootloader makes rooting a non-option to a rookie), the "Super" LCD has not a damn thing super about it, being unviewable in bright sunlight and possessing a weak resolution (800x400), its Mobile Hotspot feature is STILL littered with problems after all these months of them trying to fix it in sporadic, uncaring bursts, and to top it all off, I don't even live in a 4G area sad.gif

That being said, I like Android itself quite a bit, and my dream device at the moment is a Samsung Galaxy SII on Sprint, although by the time I can get a new plan and phone, the GSIII, or Galaxy Nexus should be out the door, following in its predecesor's footsteps of awesome.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Sep 15 2011, 12:36 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Aug 29 2011, 08:18 AM)
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6067/6073564263_4abbe66381_z.jpg

That's really cool!

Where's that sculpture at? Do you know?

That's on the Google campus. Every time they are preparing to release a new version of Android OS they put out a new hint at the name - it's always food.

Trying to compare which carrier to switch to...for God sakes it's a nightmare. Everyone hates this one and loves that one, or loves this one but hates that one....what a cluster.

QUOTE (Astromancer @ Sep 24 2011, 11:50 PM)
I've played with iOS before and do not understand the fascination with it. Five minutes with Android and i was hooked. I write it off as a matter of pure preference.

There are tons more useful apps for IOS....that's one main reason. I actually like Android and use my Android tablet all the time. It's a shame that the Galaxy S is a cheaply made piece of crap. The iPhone4's build quality is far superior, and to me that is important.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Sep 25 2011, 10:56 AM)
QUOTE (Astromancer @ Sep 24 2011, 11:50 PM)
I've played with iOS before and do not understand the fascination with it. Five minutes with Android and i was hooked. I write it off as a matter of pure preference.

There are tons more useful apps for IOS....that's one main reason. I actually like Android and use my Android tablet all the time. It's a shame that the Galaxy S is a cheaply made piece of crap. The iPhone4's build quality is far superior, and to me that is important.

I love iPhone build quality myself, and understand that their selection of apps is larger, but it just isn't me (also, there aren't very many apps that I want yet anyway). There are things I like, and things I hate...but the divide between fanbases is ridiculous. I may want to switch back and forth between OSs at will when I have disposable income smile.gif

Besides the Galaxy SII's plasticy-ness, it seems to be exactly what I want. That AMOLED screen, Exynos processor, gig of RAM, and easy-to-root nature make me physically hurt every minute that I don't own one, lol.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Oct 3 2011, 01:38 PM)
Just rooted my phone. Now I can install every app I can imagine on my phone. About time.

Just curious, what apps were you unable to install previously and exactly what was stopping you?

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Oct 5 2011, 10:35 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Oct 3 2011, 01:38 PM)
Just rooted my phone.  Now I can install every app I can imagine on my phone.  About time.

Just curious, what apps were you unable to install previously and exactly what was stopping you?

My phone is running 2.1 so I couldn't move apps to SD. On top of that, it only has 256 meg internal. They were supposed to give us 2.2/2.3 update in July, now September and September has passed.

So on an android forum someone suggested Link2SD. Awesome program, but it needs root.

BTW, rooting your phone took about 5 minutes and you don't need any technical know how. The Link2SD program you need to follow some instructions though.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Oct 10 2011, 08:27 PM)
I guess I won't be allowed in here much longer, pre-ordered iPhone 4S yesterday.  Have never had one and wanted to give it a try.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 30 2011, 05:09 PM)
I have a Samsung tablet and can assure you it does what it needs to do as android phones do what they need to do.  South Park already did an episode on this.  Everyone had an iPad and Cartman wanted one too.  They went to the store and his mom explained to him that they could get one for half the price that does the same thing.  Cartman just wanted an iPad because he was worried the other kids wouldn't think he was cool with a different brand.

WTF happened here? Is this the same person who posted this just 2 weeks ago? I guess you've caught the Cartman disease since then!