How do you introduce someone to RUSH?

Presto-a RUSH fan!

I actually did this for a friend after I found out she was a fan of Dream Theater. She had never heard any Rush, so I gave her:

1. Xanadu

2. The Spirit of Radio

3. By-Tor & the Snow Dog (Different Stages)

4. La Villa Strangiato

5. Tom Sawyer

6. Red Barchetta

7. The Analog Kid

8. Bravado (Rush in Rio)

9. Earthshine

10. Caravan

11. Working Man (Rush in Rio)

But if I had to narrow it down to 5, I would go with:

1. Xanadu

2. Spirit of Radio

3. Earthshine

4. The Big Money

5. Working Man

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Oct 8 2010, 12:26 PM)
QUOTE (Chrysalii @ Oct 8 2010, 11:08 AM)
how many people became Rush fans based on Roll the Bones? anyone?

I did- so one?

I sort of did. I discovered them with Presto, but only around the time that RTB came out did I start really exploring the back catalog with vigor. I give credit to Presto for making me a Rush fan, I give credit to RTB for cementing me as a Rush fan.

So, two.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 8 2010, 03:42 PM)
QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Oct 8 2010, 12:26 PM)
QUOTE (Chrysalii @ Oct 8 2010, 11:08 AM)
how many people became Rush fans based on Roll the Bones? anyone?

I did- so one?

I sort of did. I discovered them with Presto, but only around the time that RTB came out did I start really exploring the back catalog with vigor. I give credit to Presto for making me a Rush fan, I give credit to RTB for cementing me as a Rush fan.

So, two.

I understand the disbelief that Roll the Bones would make someone a Rush fan, but at the same time there are 3 or 4 songs really good songs on it that I can see "converting" someone. It's half a very good album and half a pretty bad album.

The album I would choose depends on the person's interests. I recently tried getting my brother into Rush by giving him their first album. He is really into Led Zeppelin, so I figured he would like it. But for most people, I would probably just give them Moving Pictures.

Anthem

Circumstances

Marathon

Subdivisions

YYZ (I'd rather put La Villa here, but I think YYZ would do a better job at getting someone interested)

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 8 2010, 07:16 AM)
QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Oct 8 2010, 05:37 AM)
But for more simple minds some of their mid 70's stuff rocks enough for AC/DC or Led Zep-type fans.

Um... okay. What the hell is that supposed to mean? AC/DC and Zeppelin fans are simple-minded? Or were the bands themselves simple-minded? Which insult are you going to go with?

Pretty much this.

While I HATE Led Zeppelin (Sabbath fan here, Sabbath are the rightful METAL band, f**k Zeppelin)

AC/DC is TOP NOTCH rock and roll, and I've never found a "simple-minded fan" anywhere. Actually, alot of my friends are AC/DC fans, AND Rush fans.

I wonder what an AC/DC prog band would sound like.

"BLOW ME, TOM SAWYER"

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Oct 8 2010, 04:13 PM)
Last time I checked. "Black Sabbath", "Into The Void" and "Lord of This World" were more Metal than "Hot Dog" 'Communication Breakdown" and the like.

I'm not going to argue this topic, especially since you started a potential debate by cherry picking songs, poorly chosen in one case. Anyway, no one band created or defined what Heavy Metal is but both Sabbath and Zeppelin had a huge hand in doing so.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Oct 8 2010, 03:19 PM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Oct 8 2010, 04:13 PM)
Last time I checked. "Black Sabbath", "Into The Void" and "Lord of This World" were more Metal than "Hot Dog" 'Communication Breakdown" and the like.

I'm not going to argue this topic, especially since you started a potential debate by cherry picking songs, poorly chosen in one case. Anyway, no one band created or defined what Heavy Metal is but both Sabbath and Zeppelin had a huge hand in doing so.

We'll agree to disagree then. smile.gif

Sabbath had the upper-hand. The doomy riffs, the wailing vocals, and the image.

Master of Reality only proves my point more.

Anyways.

Album: Hemispheres

Songs:

Finding my Way

The Trees

Witch Hunt

Marathon

Far Cry

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Oct 8 2010, 04:37 AM)
I think side 1 from Moving Pictures not only proves how musically talented they are but it also contains some of their most accessible songs. But for more simple minds some of their mid 70's stuff rocks enough for AC/DC or Led Zep-type fans.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 8 2010, 05:16 AM)
Um... okay. What the hell is that supposed to mean? AC/DC and Zeppelin fans are simple-minded? Or were the bands themselves simple-minded? Which insult are you going to go with?

Daniel, don't take it personally. The term "simple minds" might not have been the kindest term, but I think Dave is just referring to people who aren't really versed in the greater complexities of progressive rock.

AC/DC is far more simplistic than Led Zeppelin. Zep has a lot more complexity lyrically and musically, and even occasionally ventures into prog territory. Don't get me wrong, AC/DC is a great band, but they are VERY straight ahead rock and roll without a ton of imagination. Their great riffs and catchiness pull them through, but they're not exactly the thinking person's band that Rush is known to be.

That said, I would play side 1 of Moving Pictures for an AC/DC fan (or Zep fan for that matter) any day of the week. They might really love and appreciate the complexity of Rush. It still rocks plenty hard to appeal to the average rocker-type.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 8 2010, 03:26 PM)
QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Oct 8 2010, 04:37 AM)
I think side 1 from Moving Pictures not only proves how musically talented they are but it also contains some of their most accessible songs. But for more simple minds some of their mid 70's stuff rocks enough for AC/DC or Led Zep-type fans.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 8 2010, 05:16 AM)

Daniel, don't take it personally. The term "simple minds" might not have been the kindest term, but I think Dave is just referring to people who aren't really versed in the greater complexities of progressive rock.

AC/DC is far more simplistic than Led Zeppelin. Zep has a lot more complexity lyrically and musically, and even occasionally ventures into prog territory. Don't get me wrong, AC/DC is a great band, but they are VERY straight ahead rock and roll without a ton of imagination. Their great riffs and catchiness pull them through, but they're not exactly the thinking person's band that Rush is known to

That said, I would play side 1 of Moving Pictures for an AC/DC fan (or Zep fan for that matter) any day of the week. They might really love and appreciate the complexity of Rush. It still rocks plenty hard to appeal to the average rocker-type.

thank you goober for understanding what I meant. I am a Zep fan and an AC/DC fan and I dont consider myself simple minded. OK, bad choice of words. I suppose I meant that from a point of view that alot of poeple dont like to be challenged musically. They like basic rock and roll structured songs. That is fine.

But my point was, Ive played Rush for people a thousand times and the prog stuff just goes right over their heads. But they love "You Shook Me All Night Long". And that is fine.

Anybody who's been a Rush fan for many years knows at least a few people that dont get Rush at all

Thanks guys - I didn't take it personally, but I was a little put off by what I perceived as an insult to fans (and/or the bands themselves). I see what you mean now. You're right of course, that AC/DC isn't as complex as Rush - they practically define the phrase "power chord" laugh.gif - and that's cool, for what they do. It works.

Over the years, my friends made sure I was pretty well informed of all of Rush's major hits up through the early 90's, but I can't believe I had to wait until my first show last month to hear Marathon and Witch Hunt (but how cool that my first time was hearing them LIVE)!!! I've since discovered The Analog Kid, too, and all three of these are among my favorites right now, so if we were talking about how to get ME into Rush, I'd have to suggest using these three. But yeah, it definitely depends on the person. That's the beauty of Rush, though, there's bound to be something to appeal to just about anyone but the really closed-minded. Not everyone will become huge fans (though some will), but there'll be some enthusiasm you'll share, for sure.

For me, it's got to be a compilation that serves as a "litmus test" of whether they will become fans or will the CD just be another in their collection pile....

....I mean, anyone can like Moving Pictures, so I would try to provide a good cross-section of styles and time (older/1970's, an instrumental and/or epic, one classic hit, and new/1990's/2000's):

1. What You're Doing

2. La Villa Strangiato

3. The Spirit of Radio

4. Test for Echo

5. Far Cry

If they listen to this and want to know more, then there's hope...if they're like "mehh" then forget it.

QUOTE (JohnM394 @ Oct 10 2010, 11:49 AM)
For me, it's got to be a compilation that serves as a "litmus test" of whether they will become fans or will the CD just be another in their collection pile....

....I mean, anyone can like Moving Pictures, so I would try to provide a good cross-section of styles and time (older/1970's, an instrumental and/or epic, one classic hit, and new/1990's/2000's):

1. What You're Doing
2. La Villa Strangiato
3. The Spirit of Radio
4. Test for Echo
5. Far Cry

If they listen to this and want to know more, then there's hope...if they're like "mehh" then forget it.

My friend Ray played Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta and half of Limelight before I told him to turn it off because I hated it.

The following year, I discovered Presto and fell in love. Only after going back and exploring the catalog around the time of Roll the Bones did I go back and give Moving Pictures a good listen. I still didn't like Tom Sawyer all that much, but the rest of the album really grew on me.

Don't assume that everyone will like Moving Pictures right out of the gate.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 10 2010, 01:44 PM)
QUOTE (JohnM394 @ Oct 10 2010, 11:49 AM)

1. What You're Doing
2. La Villa Strangiato
3. The Spirit of Radio
4. Test for Echo
5. Far Cry

My friend Ray played Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta and half of Limelight before I told him to turn it off because I hated it.

The following year, I discovered Presto and fell in love. Only after going back and exploring the catalog around the time of Roll the Bones did I go back and give Moving Pictures a good listen. I still didn't like Tom Sawyer all that much, but the rest of the album really grew on me.

Don't assume that everyone will like Moving Pictures right out of the gate.

Not saying that they will automatically like MP...what I meant to convey is that if they like MP, it's not really a good test of whether they will want to hear more, IMHO. But if they hear a good cross-section of songs that are relatively less-well-known, and like them, then the odds of them becoming a fan are higher...I think.

I usually don't introduce folks to Rush. If they ask what I listen to I mention the band of course. If the conversation veers towards Rush, so be it, if not, that is fine also.

Rush is music's best kept secret and I'm fine with that.

QUOTE (JohnM394 @ Oct 10 2010, 01:09 PM)
But if they hear a good cross-section of songs that are relatively less-well-known, and like them, then the odds of them becoming a fan are higher...I think.

I think you're right. If anyone asks, I usually steer them away from the stuff they've likely heard on the radio (Working Man, Limelight, Spirit of Radio, etc) and away from the really weird esoteric stuff (Necromancer, Cygnus/Hemispheres). I wouldn't ever suggest someone's first album be the debut, nor would I start with Fly By Night... maybe 2112. Maybe.

It depends on what else the person likes. I might start them on Permanent Waves or maybe Power Windows. Or Presto. Or Snakes & Arrows. Just depends.

Rush Beyond the Lighted Stage biggrin.gif. Worked for me on two different people i was trying to tell how much Rush rocked. Also La Villa. I know this isnt 5 songs. Just letting you know how i infest Rush in peoples lives smile.gif

Actually, it would go something like this;

Geddy, Alex, Neil... I'd like you to meet ______

laugh.gif

Archived