New RUSH Fans...

Presto-a RUSH fan!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 5 2010, 07:55 AM)
QUOTE (StuartBruce @ Oct 5 2010, 02:01 AM)
QUOTE (tel @ Oct 5 2010, 08:35 AM)
whilst i concure with all that you say unfortunately new rush fans have long since missed out on the glory years but hopefully there will still be plenty of great music in the future also. wink.gif

Stop being a miserable old fart Tel -

I agree with Marc - anyone who discovers RUSH today has an amazing amount of quality and varied music to become engrossed in ..

Just becasue we were lucky enough to be around at the time doesn't mean others can't enjoy the legacy - I have become besotted with Pink Floyd recently and I know I will never see them live and especially at their prime .. but I am expanding my collection despite this ..

Music isn't just about being there - that's called luck

2.gif

It's all perspective, and there is a lot of luck involved.

I'm truly glad I was around when Rush were putting out a new album every year or year and a half, and each one was something new and incredible. I seriously miss those times. However, the new fan gets the advantage of a huge catalog to choose from of so many great albums, and the band is still touring, even if we don't know for how much longer. Also, the band has some respect now that they didn't have back then, even if the RRHOF treats them like shit.

In terms of luck, I've missed out on almost every band I love, which is mostly 60's and 70's stuff, in terms of seeing them live at least. Even the bands that survived I either saw and realized they were way past their prime, or I avoided because I didn't want to see them as a shadow of who they were in their glory days.

Since I generally greatly prefer studio music to live music, though, I'm happy. Still, there are some bands I sure would have loved to see in their heyday - mostly Pink Floyd & The Grateful Dead in the late 60's / early 70's. I still plan on going to the Monterey Pop Festival, Woodstock and seeing Pink Floyd at the UFO club in 1966/1967 once time travel is invented...

I'll meet up with you for the 2/27 - 3/2 1969 run at Fillmore West (2/28 is my favorite Dead show).

Anyways, I would be jealous of any new Rush fan who has yet to discover the classic albums 2112, AFTK, and Hemispheres. They totally blew my mind away AT FIRST HEARING like no other. I could only imagine the excitement if Rush announced that they've been messing with us for 30+ years and have an album recorded in the late 70s that they've had locked away in some vault.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Oct 5 2010, 04:42 PM)
I wish I could have actually seen them then. It's extremely depressing that I can only see them through old videos recorded long before I was born. sad.gif

Really? There are MANY great bands I missed seeing in their prime (Rush, Yes, Genesis, Zeppelin, Floyd, Hendrix, Beatles, etc.) but I don't think it's something to get depressed about. unsure.gif

WOW...When I created this thread I was basically trying to tell new RUSH fans how lucky they are and to enjoy the journey of listening to every RUSH album brand new.

I became a fan because of Presto, arguably one of RUSH's most hated albums. I am blown away by that. I LOVE Presto! I also love Test For Echo. And I think Vapor Trails is one of their best along with Snakes and Arrows....so take that!

I can't understand these "fans" that want to talk about RUSH like the only great albums they put out are 3-5 years before and after Moving Pictures. I guess that is your opinion and your entitled to it. But actually I feel bad for you to look at RUSH thru those glasses.

Sure fans like some things more than others and always have favorites but to say that RUSH is not in their glory days right now is insane. No matter what the stupid ass rock hall has to say.

Bottom line is RUSH has been making amazing music for 36 years and are still going strong. Anyone who discovers RUSH right now, in my opinion, is so very lucky! All that music to discover, PLUS new music coming out AND you can go see the original 3 members still and they blow your mind every time.

Sure it would have been great being a fan from day one, but in a way, I would never trade my experience of being able to get a new album every week (the old stuff) and then all of a sudden get a brand new album!

New RUSH fan...you are soooo lucky!

Marc

PS. Go listen to Peaceable Kingdom or Far Cry right now and tell me they aren't as good now as ever!

QUOTE (Presto_a RUSH fan_06-08-90 @ Oct 5 2010, 05:34 PM)
I became a fan because of Presto, arguably one of RUSH's most hated albums. I am blown away by that. I LOVE Presto! I also love Test For Echo. And I think Vapor Trails is one of their best along with Snakes and Arrows....so take that!

I agree on Presto, its a great album imo.

Test for Echo - not so much. It has a few good moments, like Vapor Trails.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 5 2010, 06:18 PM)
They are going strong, it's just the whole aspect of are they putting out new music on a regular basis that's up to the level of quality of their past accomplishments that's up for debate. I would say no, but obviously others feel differently.

RG, is there any hard rock/prog rock band from Rush's era who is still putting out new music in 2010 that's up to the level of their classic period? Honestly, I can't think of one.

That's not an "excuse" for Rush, that's just "the way it is" (IMO).

Still no question that anyone who (re)discovers Rush, at any point, is lucky. I certainly knew about them growing up, but missed out on seeing them when I was younger and a friend went without me, and lost track of them through the 90's and 0's. When I heard they were playing in town a month ago, I was determined not to miss out again. I was in the second to LAST row and absolutely had every nerve and fiber of my mind, body, and soul redlined into over-capacity, but it was a great thing. It was like waking up from the dead. It's all I've wanted to think about since, and the more I discover of them, the more I learn about how to truly be engaged in one's life, no matter what that life is, which I needed a lot of help with. I have enthusiasm to face every day I could have only dreamed of. And no shame in telling people why.

So, now I'm here to meet all of you who won't give that look of "oohhhh, okay, whatever" (though some of you may still do that, and that's fine). And to do whatever catching up I'm able to do. We can't change the past, but I changed my future a month ago, and can't WAIT until I go back to another show! and another! and another! Because I am going to LOVE IT!!! Every show that happens this tour, I think about what the guys are doing to a few tens of thousands more, some of whom are feeling for the first time the same way I do.

I only hope the guys can sense that they do this for people; that it feels as good to them. They deserve it!

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Oct 5 2010, 09:06 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 5 2010, 06:18 PM)
They are going strong, it's just the whole aspect of are they putting out new music on a regular basis that's up to the level of quality of their past accomplishments that's up for debate.  I would say no, but obviously others feel differently.

RG, is there any hard rock/prog rock band from Rush's era who is still putting out new music in 2010 that's up to the level of their classic period? Honestly, I can't think of one.

That's not an "excuse" for Rush, that's just "the way it is" (IMO).

I think the best of what Rush is doing today only adds to their legacy. My point is, they're not hurting or diminishing their legacy with Vapor Trails or Snakes & Arrows. "Caravan" and "BU2B" prove they can still produce heavy music and not repeat themselves. I firmly believe if they trimmed the fat off of Snakes & Arrows we'd be talking about a near masterpiece and not merely a good album. At this point in their career the batting average is down, but they're still hitting the sweet part of the bat more often than not. Yes, there aren't many bands that have been around nearly 40 years doing that.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Oct 5 2010, 11:47 PM)
Still no question that anyone who (re)discovers Rush, at any point, is lucky. I certainly knew about them growing up, but missed out on seeing them when I was younger and a friend went without me, and lost track of them through the 90's and 0's. When I heard they were playing in town a month ago, I was determined not to miss out again. I was in the second to LAST row and absolutely had every nerve and fiber of my mind, body, and soul redlined into over-capacity, but it was a great thing. It was like waking up from the dead. It's all I've wanted to think about since, and the more I discover of them, the more I learn about how to truly be engaged in one's life, no matter what that life is, which I needed a lot of help with. I have enthusiasm to face every day I could have only dreamed of. And no shame in telling people why.

So, now I'm here to meet all of you who won't give that look of "oohhhh, okay, whatever" (though some of you may still do that, and that's fine). And to do whatever catching up I'm able to do. We can't change the past, but I changed my future a month ago, and can't WAIT until I go back to another show! and another! and another! Because I am going to LOVE IT!!! Every show that happens this tour, I think about what the guys are doing to a few tens of thousands more, some of whom are feeling for the first time the same way I do.

I only hope the guys can sense that they do this for people; that it feels as good to them. They deserve it!

WOW....

1 of the 7,

I couldn't have put it better myself! I love to hear from new fans who have the same feeling I had (have) when I first discovered RUSH!

The thing about RUSH is that they care so much about the music that you can't but help feel the same way!

One thing I love about RUSH is that they have so many different sounding albums from 2112 to Hold Your Fire to Presto etc. They have music for any mood you might be in. They are just the most perfect band ever.

It kills me that every music fan that has heard RUSH doesn't love them. I just don't get it. Oh well. But the ones that do are so lucky!

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 5 2010, 01:34 PM)
QUOTE (tel @ Oct 5 2010, 12:08 PM)
o.k to clarify,i am not a new rush hater
test for echo was piss poor,vapor trails was not much better and s&a was very much a mixed bag.
i am however encouraged by bu2b and caravan and LOOK FORWARD VERY MUCH to the new album.

Yeah, you're not a new Rush hater, you just don't like anything they've done for the past 14 years rofl3.gif "piss poor" and "not much better"... awesome.

Oh, but the two new tracks are encouraging! z7shysterical.gif

you are easily amused but also easily confused,just for you i will TRY to clarify once more.

The only album i find completely unlistenable is test for echo,this is a truly BAD album (imo) there is a lot of filler on vapor trails(imo)and 3 tracks on s&a that dont cut the mustard(imo)

None of this makes me a "new rush hater" and frankly i resent the insinuation.

when i refered to the "glory years" i was mainly thinking about live performance,trust me i have never missed a tour since 76 and feel qualified to comment.

Not surprisingly geds voice is begining to show some wear and tear and neil is just happy to get the show over with indeed neil is just happy to get the tour over with.

im a realist,i wont pretend they are as good as they were just for the sake of reassurance,i saw them on the kings tour and i saw them on the hemispheres tour and the waves tour and the pictures tour,if you dident you cant comment,if you did than i respect your opinion

Hi Guys n' Galls. I have just joined your site. Been a Rush fan since 75, and got all that they have produced. Just likr to say that I love all of it. and as they said in "Circumstances" The more things change, the more they stay the same. To me they are amazing and have formed the background music to my life.

Hope to get to know you guys as we go along.

NC

QUOTE (tel @ Oct 6 2010, 02:59 AM)
test for echo was piss poor,vapor trails was not much better and s&a was very much a mixed bag.
i am however encouraged by bu2b and caravan and LOOK FORWARD VERY MUCH to the new album.

Yeah, you're not a new Rush hater, you just don't like anything they've done for the past 14 years rofl3.gif "piss poor" and "not much better"... awesome.

you are easily amused but also easily confused,just for you i will TRY to clarify once more.

The only album i find completely unlistenable is test for echo,this is a truly BAD album (imo) there is a lot of filler on vapor trails(imo)and 3 tracks on s&a that dont cut the mustard(imo)

when i refered to the "glory years" i was mainly thinking about live performance,trust me i have never missed a tour since 76 and feel qualified to comment.

Not surprisingly geds voice is begining to show some wear and tear and neil is just happy to get the show over with indeed neil is just happy to get the tour over with.

im a realist,i wont pretend they are as good as they were just for the sake of reassurance,i saw them on the kings tour and i saw them on the hemispheres tour and the waves tour and the pictures tour,if you dident you cant comment,if you did than i respect your opinion

tel,

No offense but like it has been stated several times, we all have our own opinions on what is good or bad. Just because you went to those concerts doesn't mean that your opinion is any better than anyone elses.

According to you they aren't as great as they used to be. And we are supposed to believe you because you went to all those concerts in the early years. Again, you are entitled to your opinion but it doesn't mean it's fact.

I know 3 people who say that RUSH is better than ever, playing, writing the whole deal. Their names are Geddy, Alex and Neil. Since they have been to every RUSH concert ever I will go with them over your experience.

Again, I am not trying to start a battle back and forth with you regarding this because it's fruitless. We all have our opinions and nothing will change them. We like what we like.

As far as the comments about Geddy's voice, while I agree he can't belt out the highest notes excactly like he did on say Hemispheres, I don't expect him to. That was 32 years ago. But he can still hit all the notes to make every song thoroughly enjoyable. And as far as Neil goes, he has always been that way and I have no problem with that. He gives his all every time he steps on stage and what more can you ask of the guy.

At least we can agree that RUSH is an amazing band and they have and will continue to entertain us all.

QUOTE (RUSHMAN999 @ Oct 5 2010, 07:08 PM)
Damm i have not been on for a while but cant understand why everyone is so negative about what rush have done these guys are living legends in the uk yes.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

I don't think people are down on everything they've done but I do agree with you that, in general, I find that Rush fans in the UK and Europe don't tend to get into this kind of discussion nearly as much. Perhaps we are less critical because we get to see the band a fraction of the time that our Rush brothers and sisters over the pond do, and the anticipation for them playing over here is just unwarranted EVERY tour. There is definitely a special feeling over here for the band.

Now I'm NOT saying that you guys in the US/Canada DON'T feel that way, I mean that we feel it more acutely because it's a treat for us to see the guys BECAUSE they don't come over as often.

Glory days? That COULD be a matter of opinion. I'm more old school Rush having been priviledged enough to have discovered them in the mid seventies and grown up with the band but I see glory in almost everything they've ever done (with the exception of the period around HYF - too many damn synths, not enough guitars) I PREFER that period because it means more to me but I can listen to stuff from almost every album that moves and excites me and make me feel like I felt when I first heard Anthem over 30 years ago.

QUOTE (tel @ Oct 6 2010, 01:59 AM)

HA! Sorry, no, it doesn't work like that. One's opinion does not automatically gain truth the older one gets.

But I do enjoy reading whenever someone tries to tell me how Neil feels about something. I'm always thrilled to meet someone who's such good friends with him. I mean, that must be it, because I don't recall reading any interviews lately wherein he states that he can't wait for the shows and the tour to be over. I'm so glad you're here to tell us these things.

When you say that one of three albums they put out in the past 14 years is "piss poor" and that the next is "not much better", what does that mean, if not "I hate the new material"? Seriously? You're going to try to talk your way out of that?

You saw them on the Kings tour and all the rest, fine. Good for you. I've heard the recordings - official and otherwise - and I've seen the footage. And I'll take the modern show over the 70's show any day of the week and twice on Sundays. They're better musicians than they were, more experienced, and they put on a better show. Yeah, I'll take that stance. Maybe it's a generation gap thing and people my age are more likely to be interested in a technically proficient show while people your age - you've got at least 15 years on me, I'm guessing - are more interested in a raw performance without a lot of bells and whistles. Fine. More power to ya. Go see a garage band perform at your local dive bar if that's what you like. But for my $100, the band that Rush is now is better than the band Rush was then.

QUOTE (Presto_a RUSH fan_06-08-90 @ Oct 6 2010, 03:05 AM)
I know 3 people who say that RUSH is better than ever, playing, writing the whole deal. Their names are Geddy, Alex and Neil. Since they have been to every RUSH concert ever I will go with them over your experience.

Yeah!

Man, I wish I'd thought of that retort. Damn right.

It just depends on what Era you like . You can't say they were better players then , you might like the songs better, but to say they Played better in 1980 is just wrong . I personally don't think the set lists now come close to the 80 and 81 tours . I think Neil's solo back then was better also, but that is because i Hate electronic percussion not because he Played better .

I think we can thank the band that they always try to make different sound for each album.

My favorite ones are the 90's Lp which are so better than 2112 or Moving pictures for my ears.

And they're still so involved in their shows...

So for me Rush is like a good bootle of wine, it gets better while it's getting older

QUOTE (Presto_a RUSH fan_06-08-90 @ Oct 6 2010, 04:05 AM)
QUOTE (tel @ Oct 6 2010, 02:59 AM)

tel,

No offense but like it has been stated several times, we all have our own opinions on what is good or bad. Just because you went to those concerts doesn't mean that your opinion is any better than anyone elses.

According to you they aren't as great as they used to be. And we are supposed to believe you because you went to all those concerts in the early years. Again, you are entitled to your opinion but it doesn't mean it's fact.

Again, I am not trying to start a battle back and forth with you regarding this because it's fruitless. We all have our opinions and nothing will change them. We like what we like.

As far as the comments about Geddy's voice, while I agree he can't belt out the highest notes excactly like he did on say Hemispheres, I don't expect him to. That was 32 years ago. But he can still hit all the notes to make every song thoroughly enjoyable. And as far as Neil goes, he has always been that way and I have no problem with that. He gives his all every time he steps on stage and what more can you ask of the guy.

At least we can agree that RUSH is an amazing band and they have and will continue to entertain us all.

you obviously dident notice but i did put imo after each and every claim

and at no point did i say fact...c,mon man angry.gif

I do feel very fortunate to be a new Rush fan. I'd feel even better if all the oldsters would shut up about how much better the band used to be. Sometimes I am annoyed with myself for the fact that I've known of Rush since almost their beginning but never liked them until 2007, but then I remember that my love for them came along just when I needed it, and I'm thankful that I can love them now with no reservations.

In fact, I feel a little sorry for all you who have lost the magic to the point where you have to keep going on about how great they were 30 years ago and how much you wish things were like they used to be.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 6 2010, 07:54 AM)
QUOTE (tel @ Oct 6 2010, 01:59 AM)

HA! Sorry, no, it doesn't work like that. One's opinion does not automatically gain truth the older one gets.

But I do enjoy reading whenever someone tries to tell me how Neil feels about something. I'm always thrilled to meet someone who's such good friends with him. I mean, that must be it, because I don't recall reading any interviews lately wherein he states that he can't wait for the shows and the tour to be over. I'm so glad you're here to tell us these things.

When you say that one of three albums they put out in the past 14 years is "piss poor" and that the next is "not much better", what does that mean, if not "I hate the new material"? Seriously? You're going to try to talk your way out of that?

You saw them on the Kings tour and all the rest, fine. Good for you. I've heard the recordings - official and otherwise - and I've seen the footage. And I'll take the modern show over the 70's show any day of the week and twice on Sundays. They're better musicians than they were, more experienced, and they put on a better show. Yeah, I'll take that stance. Maybe it's a generation gap thing and people my age are more likely to be interested in a technically proficient show while people your age - you've got at least 15 years on me, I'm guessing - are more interested in a raw performance without a lot of bells and whistles. Fine. More power to ya. Go see a garage band perform at your local dive bar if that's what you like. But for my $100, the band that Rush is now is better than the band Rush was then.

"ones opinion does not automatically gain truth"

did you really say that? can you see the problem with this statement?

Neil has maintained for decades that he doesnt enjoy touring and i am not trying to tell anybody what neil thinks, its well documented.

i also made no comment on technical proficiency so where did that come from?

as for whistles and bells,I LOVE EM!, bring it on, the more the merrier.

i am not going to talk my way out of saying "i hate the new material"

because i dident say it and the fact that you put speech marks to suggest a quote is a shameful attempt to try and justify your stance.

now,please dont tell me you have seen videos of rush in the 70s as a benchmark for greatness NOTHING compares to being there and certainly not old film footage,so please i politely ask that you respect my opinion as i am able to respect yours.....thankyou and goodnight.

QUOTE (tel @ Oct 6 2010, 03:28 PM)
Neil has maintained for decades that he doesnt enjoy touring and i am not trying to tell anybody what neil thinks, its well documented.

This is true, he says it in his books. He still does it anyway so i am happy about that biggrin.gif

I am an 'old' RUSH fan....since '77....Very envious of the New RUSH fans who have the chance to listen to all their music, hopefully without, the mass internet public criticism of certain albums or certain songs.

I like the old stuff AND the new stuff. I am able to make my own conclusions without any bearing on peer or public opinion. After reading so much RUSH criticism on this forum I hope the New fan can listen subjectively.

Almost every album has a couple turds, a couple classics and the rest is great RUSH music. That's my criticism to influence the New RUSH fans.

If someone wants to confess to a RUSH forum that they DO NOT LIKE the last three albums....or....DO NOT LIKE the first three albums....then....

I consider them to be 'conditional' fans and not 'hard core' RUSH fans.

You don't have to like a song/album from perhaps your favorite band, but to ostracize it (to exclude from a group by common consent) is, IMO, not fully appreciating RUSH's music as a whole.

If the 'conditional' fan was in Walmart some day and they started blasting Rivendell, Tears or Dog Years, they would smile with excitement and say "Hey listen to that"....and then sadly have to remind themselves they don't like or aren't supposed to like that song. The 'hardcore' fan, just says "cool"

For the New RUSH fans....My advice is.....Listen to everything....make your own conclusions....and don't be afraid to say you like the first RUSH album or Vapor Trails or Tears or Rivendell.....I like them....a lot.

QUOTE (WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER @ Oct 6 2010, 02:54 PM)
Almost every album has a couple turds, a couple classics and the rest is great RUSH music.  That's my criticism to influence the New RUSH fans.

If someone wants to confess to a RUSH forum that they DO NOT LIKE the last three albums....or....DO NOT LIKE the first three albums....then....

I consider them to be 'conditional' fans and not 'hard core' RUSH fans.

You don't have to like a song/album from perhaps your favorite band, but to ostracize it (to exclude from a group by common consent) is, IMO, not fully appreciating RUSH's music as a whole.

So wait a minute, since you said that almost every album has a couple of turds, does that make you a hardcore Rush fan or a conditional one since you don't love everything? Is it a matter of degree? Do you love enough of their material to qualify as hardcore? tongue.gif

I love 14 of their 18 albums, and about 70% - 75% of their material I'd gladly play anytime. That to me is not bad at all for a band who's had so much output. There's no other band who's had close to that many albums I could say that about. If that makes me a conditional fan in your eyes, so be it, but for what it's worth Rush has been my favorite band for 29 years. I've seen them many times in concert and have all their albums. I have a promo poster on my office wall of Moving Pictures. I get excited beyond belief whenever a Rush song comes on the radio or they appear on the TV. I never freakin' shut up about them - just ask my wife. wink.gif

So yeah, I don't love everything they've ever done (I wish I did), but I still consider myself a hardcore fan. yes.gif